• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShortBus

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
3. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
4. Gran Turismo 5
5. F1 2010

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, if I nominate a game that isn't in the list, my list get invalidated?
It's not really clear in the OP.

I want to nominate Trackmania Turbo (NDS), which is definitely the best game of the year on portable consoles for me.
I'm torn with F1 2010 (PC) because of the bugs and piss poor Codemasters' support, but I had a lot of fun with that game.

Either way, both games are NOT in the nominees.

Dash Kappei said:

I want to nominate Trackmania Turbo (NDS), which is definitely the best game of the year on portable consoles for me.
I'm torn with F1 2010 (PC) because of the bugs and piss poor Codemasters' support, but I had a lot of fun with that game.

No... you nominate a game, and I add it to the list (assuming it's eligible). Do you really think it's not clear in the OP?

Dash Kappei said:

The OP does say to go ahead and vote for them, and they'll get added.

EDIT: beaten.

Brashnir

timetokill said:
No... you nominate a game, and I add it to the list (assuming it's eligible). Do you really think it's not clear in the OP?

oh, I must have overlooked that part.

I included Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition in my list, but it was not on the nominees list. I guess I should nominate it.

Brashnir said:
oh, I must have overlooked that part.

I included Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition in my list, but it was not on the nominees list. I guess I should nominate it.

If it's in your list, it's automatically "nominated" by virtue of being on a list. Don't worry.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
timetokill said:

It wasn't clear enough for me, no, sorry!

Snuggler said:
Hey timetokill, do you think the The Sly Collection qualifies?

It has new content in the form of new mini-games, new control scheme with Move, not to mention new art assets, correct?

In that case, yes, it qualifies.

nilbog21

Banned
1. Starcraft II
2. Demon's Souls
3. Super Street fighter IV
4. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

My god, what a great year for gaming. gona shed a tear methinks. these 4 are just really top quality games..

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
1. Transformice; It was so straight forward, fun and inventive, highly replayable even with so little content.
2. God of War 3; amazing to look at and the best GoW

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
timetokill said:
It has new content in the form of new mini-games, new control scheme with Move, not to mention new art assets, correct?

In that case, yes, it qualifies.

There are new minigames that support Move made just for the collection, but the actual games don't support it.

Basically, if the God of War Collection qualified last year, this should as well. If it didn't, this shouldn't. I know it's a silly thing to bring up, but if it qualifies I just want to make sure it gets at least one vote. :)

If God of War Collection counted last year, then shouldn't N64 games on Virtual Console also count? Since the only upgrade in God of War Collection was the ability to play the games at 3 times their original resolution, while N64 games on the Virtual Console run at 4 times their original resolution. [/canofworms]

StuBurns

Banned
nincompoop said:
If God of War Collection counted last year, then shouldn't N64 games on Virtual Console also count? Since the only upgrade in God of War Collection was the ability to play the games at 3 times their original resolution, while N64 games on the Virtual Console run at 4 times their original resolution. [/canofworms]
The VC runs HLE?

nincompoop said:

Don't forget Trophies! :lol

StuBurns said:
The VC runs HLE?
Yes, N64 games on Virtual Console run at 640x480. You can confirm this by playing Mario 64 and noticing that Mario's character model gets replaced with a shittier version when the camera is zoomed out far enough on the VC but not on N64, since it happens when the camera is a certain number of pixels away from Mario.
brandonh83 said:
Don't forget Trophies! :lol
I said UPgrades :D

nincompoop said:

I think we got around this by saying it had to be a retail release and not downloadable. But yes, this is the exact problem I'm dealing with right now.

Truth is, God of War Collection was allowed last year, though I didn't really think it should be -- I tried to mostly keep with what was happening in previous years on that.

But I think allowing these compilations of older titles, when they don't include significant new content or additions, kind of goes against the spirit of the Games of the Year voting.

Is there any deadline for when a game can be nominated or does it just go until the voting deadline? I plan on putting Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon on my list but I'm not making it until I finish DKCR.

cosmicblizzard said:
Is there any deadline for when a game can be nominated or does it just go until the voting deadline? I plan on putting Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon on my list but I'm not making it until I finish DKCR.

It goes up until the deadline. The nominations list is basically a list of all of the games people listed -- it serves two purposes: 1) the list of games the parser is checking against and 2) a reminder for people about which games came out this year

StuBurns

Banned
timetokill said:
I think we got around this by saying it had to be a retail release and not downloadable. But yes, this is the exact problem I'm dealing with right now.

Truth is, God of War Collection was allowed last year, though I didn't really think it should be -- I tried to mostly keep with what was happening in previous years on that.

But I think allowing these compilations of older titles, when they don't include significant new content or additions, kind of goes against the spirit of the Games of the Year voting.
They shouldn't count really. When Ico HD launches next year, it's still going to be the best game ever made, but it to say it's a 2011 title is really inaccurate.

Cuisino

Neo Member
1. Tales of Monkey Island
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Mass Effect 2
5. Final Fantasy 13
6. DeathSpank
7. Joe Danger
8. Vanquish
9. Enslaved
10. Nier

XrazZ

Neo Member
1. Bayonetta
2. Rockband 3
3. Castlevania: Lord of Shadow
4. Darksiders
5. Assassins Creed: Brotherhood
6. Bioshock 2
7. God of War 3
8. Halo: Reach
9. Vanquish
10. Heavy Rain

Honorable Mentions:
Singularity
Metro 2033
Dead Rising 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Alan Wake
Mass Effect 2

seady

Why is Dead Rising 2 : Case Zero not in the list?
It's a stand-alone game. Even Undead Nightmare is on the list for some reason.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
seady said:
Why is Dead Rising 2 : Case Zero not in the list?
It's a stand-alone game. Even Undead Nightmare is on the list for some reason.

I don't see why anyone would bother voting for it, so who cares.

Finalow

1. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
2. Halo: Reach
3. Bayonetta
4. Yakuza 3
5. Fallout New Vegas
6. Mass effect 2
7. Alan Wake
8. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
9. Fable III
10. Super Meat Boy

GhaleonQ

cosmicblizzard said:

Do the right thing, cosmicblizzard. *puts hand on shoulder* Trust your conscience.

golem

1. Mass Effect 2 ; Like the opposite of Mass Effect 1, middling plot but amazing characters. This game is about the journey, not the destination and what a great journey it is.
2. Halo: Reach ; A great ending to Bungie's Halo run, combines everything they've learned making games into an unforgettable experience.
3. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty ; The list of great single player RTS's is a short one and Blizzard definitely delivers with SC2. A great sequel that brings that StarCraft gameplay into the modern age.
4. Fallout: New Vegas ; Trademark Obsidian, questionable technical direction but great writing and a setting they deserved a shot at. One day they'll get the whole equation right. Hopefully.
5. Game Dev Story ; When you catch yourself ranting at your phone about unfair critics torpedoing your million seller franchise, you know they got something right!
6. Dance Central ; Hardly a complete package compared to other Harmonix offerings, but enough of that HMX magic oozes through to convince you to buy yet another pricey peripheral
7. Civilization 5 ; A worthy update to the venerable series and yet… overshadowed by its legendary predecessor.
8. Heavy Rain ; I hated the plot. I hated the characters. The controls were terrible, but yet this game delivers an experience that is hard to deny.
9. Metro 2033 ; This game just oozes atmosphere, great to see some more developers from the other side of the pond delivering quality goods.
10. Kinect Sports ; Rare is back. This is the game where everything they've been doing the last few years finally makes sense.

bloke

1. Deadly Premonition
2. Nier
3. Alan Wake
4. Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
5. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
6. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
7. Afterburner Climax
8. Two Worlds 2
9. Mass Effect 2
10. Fallout: New Vegas

babuchy

1. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
2. Heavy Rain
3. Puzzle Quest 2
4. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
5. Red Dead Redemption
6. Call of Duty: Black Ops

I have yet to play Fallout: New Vegas and Splinter Cell: Conviction

EDIT: i forgot heavy rain!!!!

Amir0x

Banned
nincompoop said:

HD res, locked at 60fps, AA, trophies, eliminated tearing. It is more effort than any of the N64 games. Really the question here should be 'who cares' because it's not like the GoW Collection made any relevant awards. It just had some arbitrary number on the overall tally.

Lucc

1. Bayonetta
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
5. God of War 3
6. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
7. Super Street Fighter 4
8. Final Fantasy 13
9. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
10. Alan Wake

1. Halo: Reach ; Multiplayer FPS of the generation
2. Bayonetta ; Action/Brawler of the generation
3. Vanquish ; Single Player Shooter of the generation
4. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit ; Just surreal, and excellent online features (autolog!)
5. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; Gave me confidence in yearly releases and unique MP
6. Mass Effect 2 ; Unparalleled atmosphere, and massive improvements over ME1 combat-wise
7. Red Dead Redemption ; Speaks for itself really, would have been in top 3 if MP had more meat co-op wise
8. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow ; For me, it beat GOW at its own game, gameplay and story wise
9. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair ; Incredibly addictive, and unique yet familiar online mode
10. Crackdown 2 ; Pure Fun condensed into disc format
11. Blur ; Honourable Mention, Damn good game that didn't get the credit it deserved
12. Demon's Souls (PAL) ; Honourable Mention, Speaks for itself - very good game
13. Game Dev Story ; Honourable Mention, no game gave me better hours-of-play/cost ratio

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
1. Blur - Modern Mariokart
2. Yakuza 3
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
5. Final Fantasy 13
6. Fallout: New Vegas

I played more games but those are the ones that left an impression.

1. Demon's Souls (PAL) The best game on the PS3. Bring on Project Dark!

2. Donkey Kong Country Returns Excellent level design and production values. Better than SMG2 though? Well, I guess I just prefer 2D platformers.

3. Bayonetta Beautifully inventive and utterly crazy. I love the over-the-top main character as well. Shame I had to make do with the PS3 version though. Otherwise it might have been even higher on the list.

4. Super Mario Galaxy 2 Just as great as the first game. Somehow less memorable though.

5. Metroid: Other M Yes, the writing sucks, but otherwise this is a great game. It's great to finally have the athletic and nimble Samus of the 2D games on a home console again. I love the addition of melee combat as well. I hope Sakamoto and Team Ninja will continue to develop this style of gameplay in future installments of the series.

5. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor This was a dream sequel for me. Still, tt doesn't quite reach the heights of its predecessor. Maybe the decision to make the characters airborne kind of removed the tactile feeling you had with your surroundings that the original had.

6. Final Fantasy 13 Yes, it is a flawed game, but I still enjoyed it tremendously. Maybe it was partly because I haven't played a game in the series since FFIX. A beautiful audiovisual experience with a great combat system.

7. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (PAL) It's not particularly scary, but it is one of the most effective examples of narrative in games. Shows that you can tell a great story without turning the whole game into a glorified quicktime- event. (Heavy Rain, I'm looking at you).

8. Goldeneye 007 I don't particularly care for FPS games, but decided to give this a chance since it's on the Wii (I much prefer the Wiimote when it comes to games with an emphasis on aiming). I was consistently impressed with the level design and production values. It's nice to see a third party game on the Wii, which is not in some way half-assed.

Honourable Mentions

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon A beautiful, atmospheric game. Shame about the gameplay though.

God of War 3 Nice production values. Too bad the main character is thoroughly unlikable and the gameplay is slow and boring compared to Bayonetta and the DMC-series.

1. God Of War III
2. Heavy Rain
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Gran Turismo 5
5. God Of War: Ghost of Sparta
6. Enslaved: Odyssey To The West
7. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
8. Mod Nation Racers
9. Mafia 2
10. Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga

Ratrat

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Final Fantasy XIII
3. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
4. Lara Croft and the Guardians of Light

...the only 2010 games i bought this year...

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
3. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
4. Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
4. Monster Hunter Tri

eXistor

I play all regions, that's why I list Half Minute hero as I've skipped the US release last year.

1: Dead Rising 2: Not the most polished game ever, but definitely the most fun I've had this year and I like it even better than DR1, which I adore. It's just one of those games that click with me and subsequently I love everything about it, warts and all. The locations, while not radically different from DR1 are so lovingly designed, I just love wasting time in the world and looking for secrets and other fun stuff. The combo system is genius as well.
2: Mario Galaxy 2: pure, platforming perfection. I don't need to tell you guys why this game rocks.
3: Mass Effect 2: Huge improvement over ME1, a lot of rpg elements have been removed, making it more of a shooter, but in this rare case it works. Great story and characters too, I'm not used to that in games nowadays.
4: NieR: Along with Deadly Premonition probably the biggest surprise for me. Very inetersting story, fantastic music, fast-paced and a great mix of genres. Not everything works of course, the side-quests especially are a bore, but all in all a very exciting and fresh game.
5: Alan Wake: I was always looking forward to this game ever since it was first announced, of course the final product is nothing like it was originally envisioned, but I like it a lot. The environments are linear, but pretty big at the same time, not giving you the feeling you're being led on. That and I love finding stuff and Alan Wake has a bevy of collectables and the story was pretty good.
6: Deadly Premonition: everyone knows this game is outdated in almost everything, but this is another rare case in where this actually works in its advantage. The Dreamcast-era graphics, wooden controls and all, it feels like a fantastically cheesy b-movie. The characters are genuinely great too, especially Agent York.
7: Amnesia: it's a short game, it's an easy game, it's a terrifying game. Truly and utterly terrifying. A true must-play for horror fans.
8: Half Minute Hero: While I'm not so fond of the other games on the disc, the Half-Minute Hero portion is absolute genius, it feels like a full, epic rpg, but very fresh. It's got humor, it's got a very fun plot, some great music and it pays homage to a time when these kind of high quality rpg's were released left and right.
9: Trauma Team: This is what I always wanted Trauma Centre to be. It's got an overly dramatic plot, but it fits the style, the characters work perfectly in this context as well and all the mini games are fantastic, the forensics and diagnostics parts expecially work wonders. It does regress into "combine whatever to see what works" territory a bit too often and endoscopy is kinda...crap, but on the whole there is something to love for everyone in this.
10: Donkey Kong Country Returns: I hate the Donkey kong Country series...there I've said it (I've actually always said this). I think they're charmless, overrated platformers. DCKR is great. It does rely a bit too much on trial and error gameplay, but the leveldesigns make up for this. You're constantly being confronted with new challenges and there's a shit-ton to do making this the 2d platformer of the year.

Honorable Mentions:

Heavy Rain
Fable 3
Ys Seven
Fallout New Vegas
Red Dead Redemption
Two Worlds II
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Lego Harry Potte
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Halo Reach

Most disappointing:

Dragon Quest IX: A pretty great game, but it kinda plays like Dragon Quest VII, which suffers from the same "problems". I just hate going to a town and solving its problem and then moving on to the next town and doing it again and again, it just got boring after about 40 hours (around the time I completely lost interest in the game).

FFXIII: I knew I wasn't gonna like it, but damn...this sucks. If there's one thing I hate it's playing an rpg that tells you what to do...ALL THE TIME. It's significantly worsened by the fact that this is feels like one long tunnel. When you do get past the horrible tutorial (which is 25 hours long...yes, really) the game does get a lot better and opens up a lot. Here, the game starts to feel like FFXII, which was brilliant. I've spent the majority of my 65 hours playing the game in Gran Pulse, but after about 30 hours, that really starts to gets annoying and boring as well. Also having boring-ass characters (fuck you Vanille, you may be hot as hell, but goddamn shut the fuck up!!) and a ridiculously convoluted story. So even though I wasn't expecting much, this is still Final Fantasy, I want it to be good so it still managed to disappoint me enormously. I dislike FFX as well, but at least there was a game to be played there.

Metroid Other M: God, don't get me started on this pile of crap. I don't want to use the word "rape" lightly, but they've effectively raped Samus. An unbelievably stupid story and pointless characters just add insult to injury. There's actually a decent game behind it all, but in this case the way the story and characters are handled is just too much. Whenever Samus started to talk I wanted to choke her. The level of retardation is pretty unbelievable. I hope Retro will return to the Metroid series and maybe also make it 2d like they've succesfully done with Donkey Kong. I actually do like the tech of the game, but the linearity kills anything decent they could do with it.

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops
3. Halo: Reach
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. God of War 3
6. Just Cause 2
7. Fallout: New Vegas
8. Heavy Rain
9. Crackdown 2
10. Darksiders

Didn't play that many games this year. :(

Well, I guess I did. Most of them were from 2009, though.

54-46!

1. Bayonetta
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
5. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty

mujun

1. Fallout: New Vegas
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Just Cause 2
4. Dead Rising 2
5. Alan Wake
6. Supreme Commander 2
7. Toy Soldiers
8. Crystal War
9. Modern Conflict
10. Blur

Best year in gaming for me so far!

Nasreddin

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Deadly Premonition
3. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
4. Halo: Reach
5. Alpha Protocol
6. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
7. Dinner Date
8. Mega Man 10
9. Nier
10. Fruit Ninja

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
eXistor said:
Dragon Quest IX: A pretty great game, but it kinda plays like Dragon Quest VII, which suffers from the same "problems". I just hate going to a town and solving its problem and then moving on to the next town and doing it again and again, it just got boring after about 40 hours (around the time I completely lost interest in the game).

Valid opinion, but it sounds like you are playing the wrong series. Heck, the wrong genre even.

sarcoa

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Vanquish
3. Bayonetta
4. Nier
5. Limbo
6. Just Cause 2
7. Dead Rising 2
8. Persona 3 Portable
9. Heavy Rain
10. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Status