• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2011

Descent 1+2
Descent 3
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
Messiah

Trying to stick mostly to the wishlist I just made. I can't wait to apply those Source remakes to Descent 1 and 2.

Edit: One omission after reading that post.

Stumpokapow said:
Looking at:
MDK
MDK2
Messiah
Redneck Rampage (yes, I am aware this is not a good game)
Earthworm Jim 1+2
Giants
Kingpin

... and maybe Lionheart

Am I making any serious mistakes?
Kingpin wasn't as nearly open-world as they promised and winds up being a fairly linear trudge through same-y environments where the main note to fame is excessive swearing. Not worth the time to play.

Giants I thought was overrated, even though IIRC the reviews weren't too kind at launch. The first two campaigns were decent fun but nothing special, and playing as Kabuto was actually boring, which should say a lot given you're playing as a faster Godzilla. Still, there is some fun to be had but consider your backlog.

Messiah is not worth playing. People saying that it's fantastic or whatever should not be trusted on anything ever again. It has mediocre platforming hampered further by collision bugs (and bugs in general), the possession mechanic is only used cleverly a couple times, the visuals were pretty middling at launch (Shiny talked up their scaling engine but the game was endlessly delayed) and are pretty much hot garbage now due to the engine, everything looks grey, there's no interesting story, etc.

Lastly I'd say MDK is kinda iffy these days. I played it again last year and... it's just not that interesting as it was when I played it back when. Some aspects are still neat but other aspects make me amazed at what I was willing to suffer through when I was in college. And IMO the game feels like a level pack (of six levels) in that you never get any context for doing what you're doing, and the game just ends. I guess it's worth $3 and the brief time needed to beat it, but again, backlog.

LocoMrPollock said:
I already have most of the big titles, guess I'll give Shattered Steel a try, Mechs plus Bioware doesn't sound bad.
Let's just say it's no Mechwarrior or Heavy Gear, and that none of Bioware's strengths were on display.

MrOogieBoogie said:
Alright guys, couple questions:

1. Do Fallout and Fallout 2 hold up well today (I imagine the answer is yes)? If so, would you recommend playing both or just jumping into Fallout 2?

2. Same question for the Freespace series. However, I'm worried that my experience will be hampered with a keyboard and mouse. Are these games playable (or should I say, fun) with a keyboard and mouse, or do I need a joystick to really enjoy the game?

Thanks.
Yes to all, but just get Freespace 2. It can be played ok with a mouse.

Jomjom

Banned
Damn it, just woke up and discovered no sale on Planescape. According to Wiki it says it's Interplay, is that wrong?

Also, what's the verdict on Freespace 1 and 2? I read in the other thread about best video game stories that Freespace 2's story is awesome.

Yaska

jling84 said:
Damn it, just woke up and discovered no sale on Planescape. According to Wiki it says it's Interplay, is that wrong?

Also, what's the verdict on Freespace 1 and 2? I read in the other thread about best video game stories that Freespace 2's story is awesome.
Dunno about the story on FS2, but the game itself is damn fun. I really enjoy flying those ships and blasting through stuff.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
coopolon said:
Hmm, at $3 each I might buy the Fallouts just to have the superior digital versions over my crappy interplay rerelease disc.

That's what I'm going to do. I'm also thinking about getting Giants: Citizen Kabuto, but I may not.

I considered picking up stuff like Kingpin and Shogo for nostalgia's sake, but neither were exactly classics back in the day, so I doubt they'll hold up today.

Sober

jling84 said:

PS:T is under Atari on GOG. (IIRC, Atari has the D&D rights?)

Also, FS2 is pretty awesome, 500 more points for the source code project. Dunno about FS1, though I'm tempted to give that a buy as well.

bjaelke

Volodja said:
I don't have enough money for anything other than 1 game for today.
Giants: Citizen Kabuto it is, I've wanted to play this for many years but never managed to get it.
Well done sir! Giants is quite possibly the best game to come out in 2000. Bold statement, but I stand by it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Some real temptations here, but I think I'm gonna hold out for Atari's day. Most of the games I was eyeing here I knew I would probably never get to.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
At the very least, I'm gonna get Fallout 2 and Giants. There are quite a few that I've always wanted to play. Maybe Redneck Rampage too, lol.

I wonder if this will be the only sale until July 4th. I will surely be ready for a fresh sale before then.

Zimbardo

i have quite a few of these old games on disc stashed away in a few rubbermaid crates.

kinda tempting to grab these digital download versions tho since they're so cheap and apparently have been patched and or fixed to work on modern operating systems.

much better than having to dick around with discs.

a few that i played thru ...messiah, redneck rampage ('get off my fuckin land!' that was with the 'cuss pack' :D ), giants (i really liked this game back in the day), kingpin.

really enjoyed the fallout games and MDK games as well.

some classic stuff right there.

mclem said:
Unfortunately, I have a lot of the best stuff already, either from GoG or from originals (that said, I'm sort of toying with the idea of rebuying Fallout 1+2, because, well, Fallout.)

Any recommendations out of:

Castles
Conquest of the New World
Die By The Sword
Evolva
Invictus
Kingdom
Kingpin
Lionheart (I'm curious in particular about this one; On the one hand I know it had a very troubled development. On the other hand, I'm often curious about distant relatives of similar games (similar to, say, Worlds of Ultima?))
MAX
Messiah (Comments above have already piqued my interest)
Shattered Steel

Random aside: Were *all* Interplay games always just using the lower pricepoint? Fair play to them for not being tempted to drift higher with some real gems.
Castles - I was a fan of Castles at the time, but the GOG release is seriously flawed because it doesn't include Castles 1's expansion pack, and the expansion was a huge improvement over the base game and added a lot of stuff. Castles 1 is a castle-building game entirely focused on that task, to a degree above most other games. Castles 2 is completely different, and is a strategy game where you try to conquer medieval France, sort of like Lords of the Realm. I like the first one more for being more unique, but without the addon it is lacking... still, for just $3 for both it's probably worth it.

I just kind of feel bad for anyone who liked Castles in GOG but can't play that addon... Castles is good, but The Northern Campaign, with its better control in battle (being able to move units around during combat), monarch gender choice, longer campaign, additional scenes and such, additional economic elements, etc, is just a plain better game. Still though, I do love Castles, so I can't recommend against it.

Conquest of the New World is a decent strategy game, some unique mechanics and it was good for its time. I'm not sure how it compares to the Civ IV Colonization game, but CotNW was certainly fun. You explore the New World, naming things as you discover them (mountains, rivers, etc.), setting up colonies, and fighting battles when you run into the other countries exploring and conquering the new world. The combat system is done on a 3x3 or 4x3 grid, so it's fairly simple but works well.

Die by the Sword is an interesting action game with more detailed control of where you're swinging than most games had. Might want to see if you can try the demo first to see if you like it. It uses the mouse and numeric keypad if I remember right (or maybe all keyboard? I forget but I don't think so), and you can independently control your arm.

Lionheart - I only played the demo, but based on that and the reviews most people agree it's pretty average. It's not exactly one of Interplay's best RPGs, but it was externally developed, they just published it. Still though maybe it's worth it, $3 is pretty cheap... I'm not sure.

Stumpokapow said:
Looking at:
MDK
MDK2
Messiah
Redneck Rampage (yes, I am aware this is not a good game)
Earthworm Jim 1+2
Giants
Kingpin

... and maybe Lionheart

Am I making any serious mistakes?

Maybe pass on Lionheart (try the demo, there is one out there). Also yeah I didn't play Messiah, but I do remember it getting somewhat disappointing reviews. MDK1 and 2, EWJ 1+2, and Giants are certainly worth it though.

Oh, for anyone getting Giants, just remember that the Sea Reaper originally didn't have a top on (see the box); they added one at the last minute, along with the white blood, in order to try to get a T rating. They failed to they released a red blood patch (does GOG's version come with this pre-installed, or not?) and leaked how to restore the original Sea Reaper model (delete arpfix.gzp in the game folder). Oh, the PS2 version of course can't be changed in either of those ways, and they edited the PS2 boxart to reflect the censored Sea Reaper model.

Apart from that, I definitely liked the game. The graphics are good for its time and the game is good. IT does have some flaws, though -- most notably, it's really frustrating that you can't save during missions, if I remember right, only between them... makes some sections overly difficult. Also some of the strategy game sections in the Sea Reaper part were hard... actually I remember giving up at one of them and never finishing the game, back when I first played it. Still, it's a fun game... the Mecc gameplay is cool, I love jetpacks. :)

As for me, I'm thinking of getting almost all of the Interplay games I don't own already... so far the only Interplay games I have through GOG are Freespace 2 and Descent 3 (I have lots of Interplay games on actual discs), but I'm thinking about:

Probably will end up getting:
Earthworm Jim 1+2 (I have the first one, but not the second)
Earthworm Jim 3D
Die by the Sword + Expansion

Maybe, maybe not, I'm not sure:
Sacrifice
Messiah
M.A.X. + M.A.X. 2 (I already have the first one, and I think the first one is better)
Lionheart
Evolva
Kingdom: The Far Reaches

The only Interplay games available there that I don't either already have or list above are Fallout Tactics, the flight sim, Invictus, and Kingpin, pretty much... but I don't want those I think. Maybe some slight interest in Invictus, but it doesn't look that great. ... Yes, Interplay was one of my favorite developers of the '90s. :)

(._.)

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Fuck it, I'm buying Redneck Rampage. Hopefully it has a nice easy set up like Rise of the Triad so I can play at 1080p pillarboxed.
I'm getting it. I recall seeing it for sale in walmart over ten years ago. I wanted to play it then but just never got it. Will be picking it up now many years later.

Well, I'm doing a pretty poor job of keeping to my promise to beat a GoG purchase (Planescape) before making another but I now own Descent, Descent 2, Descent 3, Descent 3's expansion, Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout: Tactics. And all for less than 20$.

I think Descent will be the first game I play, going to apply that fan remake patch that uses the Source engine.

http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/

S. L.

man i remember playing descent on psx, it was always such a thrill to escape the dungeon after you destroyed the core

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I grabbed a bunch:

Sacrifice
MDK 1 & 2
Shogo
Redneck Rampage
Messiah
Kingpin
M.A.X.
Shattered Steel
Die By the Sword
Jagged Alliance 2 Unfinished Business

Of those the only ones I haven't played are Redneck Rampage and MAX 2.

mclem

A Black Falcon said:
Conquest of the New World is a decent strategy game, some unique mechanics and it was good for its time. I'm not sure how it compares to the Civ IV Colonization game, but CotNW was certainly fun. You explore the New World, naming things as you discover them (mountains, rivers, etc.), setting up colonies, and fighting battles when you run into the other countries exploring and conquering the new world. The combat system is done on a 3x3 or 4x3 grid, so it's fairly simple but works well.

I've just dredged up an ancient memory that I think I might have actually played this in the form of a coverdisc demo way back in the midsts of time. The naming mountains reminded me.

mclem

jaundicejuice said:
Well, I'm doing a pretty poor job of keeping to my promise to beat a GoG purchase (Planescape) before making another but I now own Descent, Descent 2, Descent 3, Descent 3's expansion, Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout: Tactics. And all for less than 20$.

Hint for rationalising this sort of thing: "Ah, it's from another genre, so I can use it as a palate cleanser from time to time!"

That'll work for Descent, at least. Not really for the Fallouts.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Personal recommendations:

Descent 1&2
Descent 3
Freespace
Freespace 2
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Fallout
Falout 2
Fallout Tactics
Sacrifice
Shogo: MAD

Shaneus

Damnit, I really wish they had Screamer 2 on there. I loved the shit out of the demo of that game when it was out. Now I have to debate whether I get the first one or not.

As it stands, I'll be getting Decent 1+2, 3, Freespace 2 and EWJ1+2.

Arklite

HK-47 said:
Personal recommendations:

Freespace
Freespace 2
Can anyone recommend a decent flight stick for these? Are people using pads? I played the first one years ago with the keyboard/mouse. Don't want to do that.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Arklite said:
Can anyone recommend a decent flight stick for these? Are people using pads? I played the first one years ago with the keyboard/mouse. Don't want to do that.

Yes, I would like to know the answer to this as well.

Question for Fallout and Fallout 2: Generally speaking, is it recommended to play these two without any mods the first time? Or are there some must-install patches/mods for both that I should be aware of (e.g., high-resolution packs, etc.)?

Pie Lord

How well do the GOG versions of Fallout and Fallout 2 run on Windows 7? I have the steam versions of those two, but they've never run that well on my OS.

Carm

Before I pull the trigger, is Freespace 2 enjoyable with just m+kb? It seems most people say to skip Lionheart, but why? Is it because it basically turns into a Diablo clone when people were expecting something more, or is something really wrong with the game?

NVM, CC escaped so now I own them. At worst it's a loss of six bucks.

Picked up

Descent 3
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
Freespace 2
Lionheart
Shogo
Stonekeep

I already had the big box versions of D3, Fallout 2 and Shogo, I just hate messing with them so digital it is.

Stonekeep, I dunno how good it is, but it is one title I remember seeing at stores over a decade ago and always wanting it but never picked it up.

jaundicejuice said:
Descent 1+2
Descent 3
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
Messiah

Trying to stick mostly to the wishlist I just made. I can't wait to apply those Source remakes to Descent 1 and 2.

Edit: One omission after reading that post.

How well do these games work in windows 7 64-bit? Is there alot of patching involved?

mojiimbo

Never played Fallout 1 or 2 before but figured I should at least try them after putting 80+ hours into F3 and before NV since I'm pretty sure the originals are heavily referenced there. Anyone successfully running the GOG versions in windowed mode on 64 bit W7? Thanks.

Minsc

Gold Member
mojiimbo said:
Never played Fallout 1 or 2 before but figured I should at least try them after putting 80+ hours into F3 and before NV since I'm pretty sure the originals are heavily referenced there. Anyone successfully running the GOG versions in windowed mode on 64 bit W7? Thanks.

falloutwindowed.png

Yup! Follow the mods used in the link above/OP (more or less) and make sure to set f1_res.ini to 8-bit color and 1024x768 (or whatever) in conjunction with D3DWindower.

Anticitizen One said:
How well do these games work in windows 7 64-bit? Is there alot of patching involved?

At worst you'd have to deal with the mods/patches linked to in the mod post earlier, but it's not necessary. Still Fallout is one of those games that has issues on some machines but not others, but all the issues can be fixed with a little troubleshooting. It's one of GOG's most popular titles, so it's been through the works. Whatever problem you may be having, it's not the first time it's happened.

I imagine Descent 1 + 2 work pretty nicely with that mod/new engine that was mentioned above too. Descent 3 is a bit newer, so it's probably fine.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Bought Shogo. Last major Monolith game I wanted to play, we'll see how it stacks up. Gonna wait and see what else goes on sale. I wouldn't mind Tex Murphy: UAKM, Sanitarium and Guilty Gear.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
gdt5016 said:
Okay, why do some people like playing games in Windowed mode? I don't get it.
Slow games that they like double-task playing I guess. I rarely okay windowed and Fallout does have widescreen mods that look quite nice in fullscreen at 720p/1080p (things feel quite small in that though).

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
gdt5016 said:
Okay, why do some people like playing games in Windowed mode? I don't get it.

Retains the aspect ratio of certain games (especially older games that run at lower resolutions).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MrOogieBoogie said:
Retains the aspect ratio of certain games (especially older games that run at lower resolutions).
If ATI and Nvidia weren't fucking lazy we could get standardized pillarboxing without any issues.

Some games do have it though and others have widescreen mods.

stuminus3

Yay GOG sales, I bought a whole bunch of stuff I wanted, a whole bunch of stuff I didn't, and a whole bunch of stuff I already owned.

Sale is a painful reminder of how far Interplay have fallen since the Golden Age of 1990s master race gaming.

Shaneus

Stallion Free said:
If ATI and Nvidia weren't fucking lazy we could get standardized pillarboxing without any issues.

Some games do have it though and others have widescreen mods.
You can (from memory). If you disable hardware scaling (I think?) in the ATI CCC it won't stretch... but it might keep it in a tiny window. Discovered that while trying to get the Sega Model 2 emulator working without stretching the display.

Top Bottom