• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2011

Yaska

jling84 said:
Is baldurs gate worth playing for the story? How does it compare to planescape torment?
The game is worth playing, but if you want just the story, there should be books about the game. Altho I hear they are pretty bad. Still, the game is well worth playing.

Yaska

I'd say go for BG series. Arcanum is awesome as well, but haven't really went through it yet. Icewind Dale is more action-oriented.

Minsc

Gold Member
Narag said:
Thought they said there's another 21+ titles in the pipeline but won't be available until later this year.

A little sooner than that I think:

GOG said:
We will be adding more than 25 titles from EA over the next few months, so the games will be unveiled gradually

So they might take a break from EA from time to time, but we should see the remaining 19+ titles by the end of August I hope, and probably a few of those 19+ in the rest of this month & July as well.

Moobabe said:
What's better for the story (and which holds up better) Arkanum, BG or Icewind Dale?

I loved Icewind Dale but it was intentionally light on the story to have a bigger focus on dungeon crawling.

Baldur's Gate is the best story-wise, but I had more fun with Icewind Dale.

Van Buren

Moobabe said:
What's better for the story (and which holds up better) Arkanum, BG or Icewind Dale?

Arcanum, easily. The strength of Baldur's Gate 2's writing lies in the companion conversations. Outside that, the actual roleplaying choices and consequences are decidedly lacking compared to the likes of Black Isle and Troika games.

Arcanum plays like a spiritual successor to Black Isle's Fallout games, and so most quests can be solved in multiple ways. Add in the fantastic character creation system and its industrial-era steampunk world populated by orcs, humans, gnomes, etc., and it's easy to see why Arcanum is regarded to be highly ambitious.

IWD series features the best combat in the Infinity Engine games, and the atmosphere and music are memorable. The actual plot, though, is merely passable.

Moobabe

Van Buren said:
Arcanum, easily. The strength of Baldur's Gate 2's writing lies in the companion conversations. Outside that, the actual roleplaying choices and consequences are decidedly lacking compared to the likes of Black Isle and Troika games.

Arcanum plays like a spiritual successor to Black Isle's Fallout games, and so most quests can be solved in multiple ways. Add in the fantastic character creation system and its industrial-era steampunk world populated by orcs, humans, gnomes, etc., and it's easy to see why Arcanum is regarded to be highly ambitious.

IWD series features the best combat in the Infinity Engine games, and the atmosphere and music are memorable. The actual plot, though, is merely passable.

Which do you prefer? BG/BG2 seems to be held in the highest regard on GAF at least. Story isn't the only factor when it comes to the purchase - atmosphere, music etc is pretty important. I picked up PS:T and, despite how much I loved the music, atmosphere, writing and story the combat cheapened the deal ever so slightly.

Mimir

Moobabe said:
Which do you prefer? BG/BG2 seems to be held in the highest regard on GAF at least. Story isn't the only factor when it comes to the purchase - atmosphere, music etc is pretty important. I picked up PS:T and, despite how much I loved the music, atmosphere, writing and story the combat cheapened the deal ever so slightly.
I'm going to agree with Van Buren; Arcanum is the best game out of those. I found the setting much more interesting, and I absolutely love the soundtrack. You can download it for free here. Sorry for the self-extracting exe; you used to be able to download each mp3 individually from the official site, but that's been down for ages.

Unfortunately, I'd say none of the games have good combat. BG and IWD both have the same combat system as Torment, while Arcanum lets you choose real-time or turn-based combat. Sadly, neither is developed all that well.

Moobabe said:
IMO, judging by what you're after; Arcanum offers the better overall package.

Arcanum is essentially a spiritual successor to Fallout, but in the 1800's with a heavy steampunk theme. Cast is great (but BG2 is superior), atmosphere is immense and immersive, soundtrack is pheneomonal, and the plot is quite good for a open world wrpg.
Both Arcanum and BG2 are both definitely worth playing. But i guess it boils to whether you enjoy Fallout's turnbased single playable character focus or Infinity engine DND semi-real time party management.

gdt5016 said:
Any handy basic tips for Planescape: Torment? I'm about to start it for the first time.
Covered it briefly a few pages back. Basically, if you want to explore most of the content of PS:T, role a mage for all the extra dialogue/story.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Freespace 2 get.

Will I be skinned alive if I ask how it plays with a 360 controller? I remember playing it at my friend's house with a proper flight stick and being blown away, but I don't want to buy extra hardware for one game.

Van Buren

Moobabe said:

The Baldur's Gate Trilogy (with BGTuTu) is more than the sum of its individual parts. The combat is better than PS:T's, but fares worse than the IWD series. Likewise, the story is better than IWD's but cannot hold a candle to PS:T's glory in that regard. The writing is consistent throughout, but the real star is the companion banter, which is probably the best I've come across in WRPGs. Put all of these together, and you get an epic adventure spanning 200+ hours that is worth a playthrough.

Despite this, I tend to favor Arcanum because it is not as rigid as Baldur's Gate in its player choices with regards to quest design. With Arcanum, nearly every quest felt like it would play out differently based on my character build, but Baldur's Gate sort of railroads one into completing quests in limited ways. This mostly arises due to the incredible character creation system in Arcanum. The choices and consequences in Arcanum are superior to those in Baldur's Gate, and for many, like myself, that's a huge deal in WRPGs.

Like in the second half of BG2, Arcanum mages tend to become too powerful due to certain spells, so that's something to keep in mind when making your decision on which game to play. The combat system features both a real-time and turn-based system, so that's certainly a plus compared to the real time with pause system that Baldur's Gate employs. On the other hand, the encounter design fluctuates wildly compared to BG2, depending on the character's affinity towards technology/magic - some ridiculously difficult fights for a gunslinger might be a cakewalk for a mage, and vice-versa.

Even ignoring the refreshing world that Arcanum takes place in, the unique musical score alone makes it worth a purchase.

Dynoro

Freespace 2 is very tempting. I would also heartily recommend Kingpin to anyone who fancies a good FPS which had a lot of innovations at release

gdt5016 said:
Because I have terrible taste.
You are not worthy to post in the GOG topic. ever.

Seriously. Sale has a handful of PC essential classics: Descent, Freespace, Fallout, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Jagged Alliance, MDK, and Sacrifice.

Zizbuka

Banned
Picked up:

Messiah
Earthworm Jim 1&2
Earthworm Jim 3D
Lionheart
MDK
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Descent 1&2
Descent 3
Shogo

I've played most of these before, but couldn't resist. Most looking forward to going back to Messiah and Giants. :)

Zizbuka said:
Picked up:

Messiah
Earthworm Jim 1&2
Earthworm Jim 3D
Lionheart
MDK
Descent 1&2
Descent 3
Shogo

I've played most of these before, but couldn't resist. Most looking forward to going back to Messiah and Giants. :)
nice. messiah is superb. and descent 3 :arr totally underrated

biocat

I have a lot of the Interplay games already from previous Interplay sales. I think I might pick up Shattered Steel as I remember enjoying it as a wee lad. Any opinions on it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Looking at:
MDK
MDK2
Messiah
Redneck Rampage (yes, I am aware this is not a good game)
Earthworm Jim 1+2
Giants
Kingpin

... and maybe Lionheart

Am I making any serious mistakes?

Quick question before I buy the earthworm jims, do they work or been tweaked to work on a modern OS? really want to play EWJ 3D as I never have done, ever.

Zizbuka

Banned
Polk said:
Why did you waste money on this POS?

*sticks fingers in ears* nah nah nah nah not listening

Won't let you bring down my high.

But really, it's the only one I've never played and looked interesting and was $2.99.

Van Buren

Polk said:
Why did you waste money on this POS?

To be fair, Lionheart seems promising before it has its identity crisis - it's criminal that a game that employs the Fallout system in encouraging ways at the beginning throws it all away to become a Diablo clone.

Zizbuka

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Looking at:
MDK
MDK2
Messiah
Earthworm Jim 1+2
Giants
Kingpin

... and maybe Lionheart

The MDKs, Messiah and Giants are great games. Redneck Rampage is kinda like hillbilly Duke Nukem, entertaining I guess. Earthworm Jim is pretty good platforming, not a bad buy.

mclem

Unfortunately, I have a lot of the best stuff already, either from GoG or from originals (that said, I'm sort of toying with the idea of rebuying Fallout 1+2, because, well, Fallout.)

Any recommendations out of:

Castles
Conquest of the New World
Die By The Sword
Evolva
Invictus
Kingdom
Kingpin
Lionheart (I'm curious in particular about this one; On the one hand I know it had a very troubled development. On the other hand, I'm often curious about distant relatives of similar games (similar to, say, Worlds of Ultima?))
MAX
Messiah (Comments above have already piqued my interest)
Shattered Steel

Random aside: Were *all* Interplay games always just using the lower pricepoint? Fair play to them for not being tempted to drift higher with some real gems.

Zizbuka

Banned
Evolva's really good, I already had that one on GOG. Underrated game.

Die By The Sword was kinda cool when it came out, but now it's very clunky IMO.

Stumpokapow said:
Looking at:
MDK
MDK2
Messiah
Earthworm Jim 1+2
Giants
Kingpin

... and maybe Lionheart

I'd advise you to not buy Earthworm unless you have some unhealthy personal connection to it.

Other than that, those are all good. Though I can't speak for Messiah as I've never played it.
viewtifulsub said:
Has anyone played Kingpin recently? I remember a lot of buzz when it was released because of how filthy the content was; but how does it hold up?
Pretty well actually. It's interesting because the levels are kinda open and there are stores where you can buy weapons and such. And it still looks alright. Plus it's really violent! Definitely worth a look if only as a curiosity.

Volodja

I don't have enough money for anything other than 1 game for today.
Giants: Citizen Kabuto it is, I've wanted to play this for many years but never managed to get it.

vazel

Banned
Argh it was a pain to pair down the games I want to $20(which is still quite a handful of games). I'm saving up my money for adventure games.

cicero

Already own these, would recommend all of them:
Descent + Descent 2
Descent 3 + Expansion
Fallout
Fallout 2
Freespace + Expansion
Freespace 2
Sacrifice

Definite purchases:
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division
Fallout Tactics

On the fence for these:
Earthworm Jim 1 + 2
MDK
MDK 2

viewtifulsub said:
You are not worthy to post in the GOG topic. ever.

Seriously. Sale has a handful of PC essential classics: Descent, Freespace, Fallout, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Jagged Alliance, MDK, and Sacrifice.
Is Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business essential? I thought that was the half-finished expansion/sequel, basically Jagged Alliance 2.5?

Anyone with positive impressions for this game or Messiah?

Minsc

Gold Member
mclem said:
Any recommendations out of:

Castles
Die By The Sword
Evolva
Invictus
Kingdom
Kingpin
Lionheart (I'm curious in particular about this one; On the one hand I know it had a very troubled development. On the other hand, I'm often curious about distant relatives of similar games (similar to, say, Worlds of Ultima?))
MAX
Messiah (Comments above have already piqued my interest)
Shattered Steel

MAX 1 + 2 is a pretty neat hybrid real-time / turn-based RTS game, for that alone I'd give it a look if you enjoy the genre. I've never seen another game quite like it. It's almost like civilization if it were made to an RTS I guess, each unit gets a set amount of squares it can go, you can research unit upgrades and so on. I only played the first, but I think they're both pretty similar.

planning on going under 10 bucks here (yeah lol).

Fallout 1, 2 and either Kingpin/Messiah/Shogo

which one should I pick out of those 3 fps games? Messiah sounds quite interesting but I've heard nothing but good things from Kingpin and Shogo.

S. L.

Discotheque said:
planning on going under 10 bucks here (yeah lol).

Fallout 1, 2 and either Kingpin/Messiah/Shogo

which one should I pick out of those 3 fps games? Messiah sounds quite interesting but I've heard nothing but good things from Kingpin and Shogo.
Shogo is awesome and you fight on foot as well as in Giant robots!
Also there is a mission where you have to rescue a cat!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Alright guys, couple questions:

1. Do Fallout and Fallout 2 hold up well today (I imagine the answer is yes)? If so, would you recommend playing both or just jumping into Fallout 2?

2. Same question for the Freespace series. However, I'm worried that my experience will be hampered with a keyboard and mouse. Are these games playable (or should I say, fun) with a keyboard and mouse, or do I need a joystick to really enjoy the game?

Thanks.

Yaska

Bought Fallout 2 meself.
Freespace 2 works rather well with keyboard + mouse. Sure joystick would be better, but atleast kb+m combination wins using a gamepad.

epmode

gdt5016 said:
Any handy basic tips for Planescape: Torment? I'm about to start it for the first time.
Put Charisma to 13, Wisdom to 17 or 18, the rest in Intelligence (with maybe a point or two in Dexterity). This game is all about the dialogue so regular combat stats are mostly a waste of time. Just let your party handle it (Morte makes a good tank).

Go to Ragpicker's Square and talk to the old woman as soon as you get out of the opening area.

MrOogieBoogie said:
Alright guys, couple questions:

1. Do Fallout and Fallout 2 hold up well today (I imagine the answer is yes)? If so, would you recommend playing both or just jumping into Fallout 2?

2. Same question for the Freespace series. However, I'm worried that my experience will be hampered with a keyboard and mouse. Are these games playable (or should I say, fun) with a keyboard and mouse, or do I need a joystick to really enjoy the game?

Thanks.
Yes, the Fallout games hold up really well today. Fallout 2 is basically a more fleshed out Fallout, but I think you should play them both because of the story, and Fallout 1 won't take you long to finish anyway.

I've never played the Freespace games, so I wouldn't know anything about them.

Sgt.Pepper said:
Yeah, I'm gonna need some info on Fallout 1/2. Never played one, and would like to know if i'm better off playing Vegas or 3.
You should play them all in order. They are all great games, and you'll find the later games to be better if you've played the old ones. Especially New Vegas has a lot of references to the old games.

Top Bottom