• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS European Price Thread

lol wow that blows

Who's gonna import from the US now?

Europe: LOL WE GET IT FIRST
Nintendo: Price set by retailers
Europe: Fuuuuuuuuck!!!!!

No launch titles were mentioned at either conference even though both stated they would mention them. What gives? x_x

KAL2006

Banned
It should have been £200 at the most, will not buy a 3DS until the first revision, fuck this price, also its best to wait until the library of games get more diverse (and cheaper), hardware faults are resolved, price cut for system, redesign of system. so I will get a 3DSi in a year, hopefully by then it is at least £200 or cheaper.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Phoning Dom so I don't get done. He'll teach me all the trick so I can get one of these suckers for £150 with five games thrown in.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I know the pound isn't quite as strong as it used to be, but the UK is getting ripped off if it's generally 250 in euroland.

7GxiL.jpg

Empty

how much do game offer for trading in a DSlite. i wanted to keep it for the longer battery life, but those prices.

Competition may be good for us in the end. With no set price, retailers can try and low ball each other, provide bundles or do that "spend £100 worth of shopping and get a 3DS for £50 off" or some other mad thing.

I'm optimistic that I'll have a 3DS and a game, on launch day for under £200. If I can't do that, then I don't think I'll be buying one.

Of course, I may be over estimating my ability to track down a good deal, or the price of the games.... a lot can change in 2 months. Roll on the 25th of March!!!!

As much as I want a 3DS, I can't justify buying it at that price. I don't play enough handheld games. I'll wait for either the second revision or a price cut.

Foffy said:
They'll have to import any and all of their games too, if they make that choice...

Yeah but we also don't know how much the games cost c.c

Although Amazon has most set for $39.99 in the US

3DS at 8.25% rate most pay in Texas makes it $270.61

Xater

GoldenEye 007 said:
But doesn't European prices include their VAT or something which is like 20%? US prices do not include tax because it varies by state and county.

Yes and even with 20% VAT we still pay more.

Well someone has to subsidize the US prices right?

Hm.

The only potentially good thing to come from open pricing is a battle between retailers that drives the price down. Get it to £199 and we're sorted (as far as I'm concerned, anyway).

rezuth

GoldenEye 007 said:
But doesn't European prices include their VAT or something which is like 20%? US prices do not include tax because it varies by state and county.
Yea, 25% tax in Sweden even.

Foliorum Viridum said:
If you pre-order at Play, and they lower the price, do you pay the lowest price and not the one you ordered at ala Amazon?
Anyone know? I pre-ordered one, but if they're not going to price match I'll cancel it.

Pooya

I'm not surprised, was going to pick it up from states anyway, region locking is going to be bitch, good thing I'll move to US in 1.5 years or so but until then :( .

Bento

Meh... Sounds like we will end up with the usual 2499 SEK for Nintendo hardware, I didn't expect anything else so I don't really mind but it really would be nice for once to have american prices :eek:)

Suairyu

Banned
Before this thread gets out of hand, I'll say the following:

You can't just convert $ to £ and add VAT to arrive at a UK price. It doesn't work like that. If it did, shop prices would change every day to reflect how well the dollar is doing.

For example, the UK Rock Band price was actually fair. Most people didn't think so because they were under the mistaken belief that currency exchange rates actually mean anything in regards to the internal value of money.

That said, £230 is a ripoff. My advice is everyone waits for the lite revision and the appropriate price drop that accompanies it.

Keyser Soze said:
And converting the US price to pound sterling and adding 20% VAT gives a total of £187.68. Doesn't mean that's the price it's actually worth in the UK. (It does highlight that £230 is above what the actual reasonable price is, though)

KAL2006

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
Hm.

The only potentially good thing to come from open pricing is a battle between retailers that drives the price down. Get it to £199 and we're sorted (as far as I'm concerned, anyway).

yeah I have a feeling by Q3 2011, most places will have 3DS for £195-£200

Leonsito

Suairyu said:
Before this thread gets out of hand, I'll say the following:

You can't just convert $ to £ and add VAT to arrive at a UK price. It doesn't work like that. If it did, shop prices would change every day to reflect how well the dollar is doing.

For example, the UK Rock Band price was actually fair. Most people didn't think so because they were under the mistaken belief that currency exchange rates actually mean anything in regards to the internal value of money.

That said, £230 is a ripoff. My advice is everyone waits for the lite revision and the appropriate price drop that accompanies it.

If I remember correctly, the DS Lite was more expensive than the regular DS.

M.I.S. said:
N64 UK launch bomba redux

Just as well, nothing interests me in the launch lineup.

Quit while you're ahead mate. You and this bomba shit is not funny in the slightest and only clogs up good threads.

Write normally.

Keyser Soze said:
Play will not alter the price you agreed... if it goes up or down
Bah. Thanks!

I guess I'll wait for Amazon then and see how they play it. If it can go down to £200 it would be a nice birthday present for my girlfriend :)

Suairyu

Banned
Leonsito said:
If I remember correctly, the DS Lite was more expensive than the regular DS.
I could be entirely wrong about the Lite's day 1 price, but I picked up the Lite not amazingly long after it came out for much less than the DS initially released at, I know that much. Smaller versions of the same hardware are generally cheaper to manufacture.

Top Bottom