• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Proposal: Stop blaming Sony and Nintendo for their poor battery life

Amir0x

Banned
I made this post in the other topic, but I think considering the news it's relevant to have a discussion about.

Billychu said:
5 hours on the lowest possible settings? Fuck, I might actually wait for a revision. This is not a Nintendo handheld.

I hope people begin to realize that this is the price we pay for systems this powerful on the go with the current level of battery technology.

Companies are fighting against a wall here. In order to maintain a portable size, you can only increase the size of the internal battery to a certain point. And that battery is only going to be a certain level of power as dictated by the limitations in all battery technology.

Unless people start proposing we halt all handheld advancing, we're literally shit out of luck - the piddling differences in power saving techniques will help somewhat in the short term, but it's a losing battle.

The ONLY way this is going to significantly change from here on out is if someone comes up with a feasible mass market battery solution that is better than what we have and smaller than what we have.

There are a couple in the pipeline that are reasonably promising, but it's still a ways off to be in mass market and there's nothing anyone can do until it comes.

People have to STOP blaming Nintendo and Sony at this point.

So...

1.) Do you propose we halt the progress of handhelds until battery technology catches up?
2.) Would you want a larger handheld if it meant including a bigger battery?
3.) Would you agree it's time to stop blaming Nintendo and Sony for the inevitable wall they're hitting with battery technology?

Discuss.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
4.)Battery should be use replaceable.
Because:

- You can buy an extra battery for double the life in the road.

- You can buy an extended battery if you don't mind the higher price/bulk.

- Years down the road, you can replace the old battery for a new one if the battery tech ever improves without having to buy a whole new other system.

- You can replace the old battery after it can no longer hold a charge worth a dam without having to contract an expensive tech service (or change the whole system ala iPad).

In conclusion. User replaceable batteries solves the problem for everyone. :)

- Game system aren't phones you replace every year or so.

entremet

I agree. The issue is that battery tech hasn't really evolved as fast as mobile processor capability. Battery life will continue being a huge bottleneck as CE devices continue to evolve.

Tobor

Agreed. You can greatly increase the size and price of the unit, decrease the unit's specs, or decrease the battery life. Pick one.

Gravijah

I would not mind having XL versions of systems with larger batteries, but in the end, I don't think we can blame Nintendo/Sony for the battery life issues.

I say companies should halt the tech, we don't need much better graphics than NGP at this point, seriously, also since we don't need uprising cost as actual console gen as it seems a lot of companies have been strugling cuz so, it's a win/win situation.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Wasn't Sony developing some new battery tech that had tenfold the capacity, but kinda had the problem of exploding?
That can only add to the excitement of playing Killzone while in the throne. Go for it, Sony!

Lonely1 said:
Because:

- Years down the road, you can replace the old battery for a new one if the battery tech ever improves without having to buy a whole new other system.

- You can replace the old battery after it can't no longer hold a charge worth a dam without having to contract an expensive tech service (or the whole system ala iPad).

I agree 100%. I have 2 spare batteries for my PSP-3000. International plane ride? No fucking problem.

I wish Sony would support replaceable batteries in the NGP, but I know they won't since that's how piracy started on the PSP. I wish they could find a way to block the hacks while still allowing gamers to swap their batteries.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Lonely1 said:
Because:

- You can replace the old battery after it can't no longer hold a charge worth a dam without having to contract an expensive tech service (or the whole system ala iPad).

In conclusion. User replaceable battery solves the problem for everyone. :)

This the only good thing that can be said in this topic. I've heard the PSP2 doesn't have the removable cap anymore like the PSP1 and knowing Nintendo they'll put some damn screws on the lower side again so this sucks ass.

Amir0x said:
2.) Would you want a larger handheld if it meant including a bigger battery.
I currently have the extended battery in my PSP. The ultimately negligible amount of bulge it adds to the back of the system is worth it when I get way more battery life out of the system. I don't give a fuck about symmetry or bulkiness or whatever - either make the system last longer without a charge or give me the means to eschew form factor for practicality if I so choose.

Both Nintendo and Sony refuse to do that, so I will continue to blame them for their shitty battery life that makes me not want to purchase their systems because I don't think I should have to feel like I can only play my PORTABLE VIDEO GAME SYSTEM in a place where I have video games already hooked up to my television or installed on my computer.

Discuss.

Amir0x

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
I say companies should halt the tech, we don't need much better graphics than NGP at this point, seriously, also since we don't need uprising cost as actual gen as it seems a lot of companies have been strugling, it's a win/win situation.

argument: there's not a whole lot more you can do with handhelds at this point, i think. What is really next in terms of innovation? I can think of ONE plausible technology on the horizon - haptic touchscreens. But after that, what's next? Can you think of some vital technologies these handhelds are missing in terms of control functionality? If not power, if not the UI and such, what else to improve to make consumers feel they ever even need a new platform? Would not the industry stagnate if this is the approach we take over too long a period?

StuBurns

Banned
I agree, what are people doing for four or five hours that they can't charge? Plane flights I guess? Bring both systems. Four hours is a long time for a single session. If you're commuting more than four hours a day, that's unfortunate for more reasons than battery life.

Exactly. People keep begging for incredibly powerful hardware at no cost yet when the system ends up being gargantuan and has low battery life people start running in circles crying.

This reminds me of when people ask for consoles to be as powerful as possible yet shed tears when their favorite developers go out of business due to financial problems.

As for my opinion, # 1 easily.

mclem

I... wouldn't object to #1, actually. Not that I particularly dislike the battery life issue either, but either possibility would be reasonable for me.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Of all technologies battery lifespan has been progressing much much slower than stuff like processing capabilities and storage for sure. I just hope the new handhelds won't suck batteries dry as fast as my iPod Touch does. Love the device but it's disappointing that I can only play some games for no longer than 30 minutes before having to recharge.

Amir0x

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
I currently have the extended battery in my PSP. The ultimately negligible amount of bulge it adds to the back of the system is worth it when I get way more battery life out of the system. I don't give a fuck about symmetry or bulkiness or whatever - either make the system last longer without a charge or give me the means to eschew form factor for practicality if I so choose.

Both Nintendo and Sony refuse to do that, so I will continue to blame them for their shitty battery life.

Discuss.

Fair enough - you're proposing they should make LESS portable machines or at least give people the option to have a less portable machine if it meant more battery. Which is a fair opinion and I totally agree. Options are good. On the PSP NGP they took it out so they could include the rear touch panel. I'd suggest that's probably a more important factor for many than nudging out an extra 2 or 3 hours of battery life, but that's just my opinion.

Sipowicz

Banned
taken from the other thread

It's their decision. If they cant develop hardware that is efficient enough to provide a decent battery life then fuck them

the iphone i much smaller and has better graphics, yet it has a comparable battery life.

nintendo deserve a lot of grief for their shitty design decisions with the 3DS, and the battery life isn't even the worst one

stuff like no load times, lack of region locking, decent battery life are key components of handheld gaming. it's not the same as console gaming and people need to stop pretending it has the same prioirities

Tobor

I AM JOHN! said:

Both Nintendo and Sony refuse to do that, so I will continue to blame them for their shitty battery life.

Discuss.
Buy a battery extender device and plug it in. You can still make it as unwieldy and long lasting as you want.

I agree. Lithium batteries have hit a wall in capacity haven't they? There literally will be no improvement until the next battery breakthrough...

dream

How is it not their fault when they make design compromises that prevent them from putting in a acceptable battery?

I never understood why technology advances so fast but batteries never seem to. I mean, technology it self has advanced to the point of being less power hungry, but it's never the other way around for batteries.

Also
Amir0x said:
2.) Would you want a larger handheld if it meant including a bigger battery?
Why not, I got my self one of these for my phone
http://www.ibbattery.com/process_pic/2007661613942765.jpg

It's freaking huge now lol

stay gold

Aren't they developing batteries that can be fully recharged in a matter of seconds? Probably the best we're gonna get for a while.

Amir0x

Banned
Sipowicz said:

It's their decision. If they cant develop hardware that is efficient enough to provide a decent battery life then fuck them

the iphone i much smaller and has better graphics, yet it has a comparable battery life.

nintendo deserve a lot of grief for their shitty design decisions with the 3DS, and the battery life isn't even the worst one

stuff like no load times, lack of region locking, decent battery life are key components of handheld gaming. it's not the same as console gaming and people need to stop pretending it has the same prioirities

iPhone does not have better graphics than PSP NGP. Better than 3DS but without the battery draining 3D technology.

Sony are working on a portable hybrid fuel cell (with electronic pump inside!) Maybe it will lead to longer battery life in the future, I'd rather not be a guinea pig of another potential bomb, and I'm not talking about the success of handhelds.

Gravijah

Just curious though, why didn't Sony make the PSP2 as thick as the older PSPs? Couldn't they have fit a bigger battery inside of it then?

User replaceable batteries are the best way to go.

My HTC Evo has pretty bad OEM battery life, it came with a 1500mah battery. I replaced it with a 3500mah battery and am happy with it. Sure it's a bigger battery and it replaces the back cover of my phone with a bigger cover. I'd rather take that and use my phone the way it's meant to be used, rather than have a smaller battery. If I want that sleek form factor though, I can always replace my extended battery back to the OEM one.

StuBurns said:
I agree, what are people doing for four or five hours that they can't charge? Plane flights I guess? Bring both systems. Four hours is a long time for a single session. If you're commuting more than four hours a day, that's unfortunate for more reasons than battery life.

It's not about how much I can do in a single sitting but more so comfort of knowing that I don't have to charge it so the day I forget to do so I'll be pissed that I can't game. Not to mention those four to five hour streches are far more common then you think. I noticed this when switching gaming from a DS to an iPod Touch (that had similar battery life as I played mostly 2D games) and a Macbook Pro to an Acer.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
SwiftSketcher said:
I agree. Lithium batteries have hit a wall in capacity haven't they? There literally will be no improvement until the next battery breakthrough...

correct.

Honestly? 5 hours is pretty long IMO.

I can barely sit down for 2 hours without turning it off

KamenSenshi

Lonely1 said:
Because:

From that tear down isn't the 3DS battery user replaceable like the other DS's? That seems to be the best option to still make the system pocket size. Batteries are way behind the times. Both systems are power hungry but its to be expected considering they are the equivilant of their respective current home systems. The days of 9 hour battery power with good settings are gone. Until a breakthrough is made and made readily available, its better to accept it sooner rather than later.

Amir0x

Banned
dream said:
How is it not their fault when they make design compromises that prevent them from putting in a acceptable battery?

There's only two options here. And from a console manufacturer stand point, neither are good. When I say 'don't blame them', I mean with the negative association that comes along with the blame game. Obviously, they made the choice to ADVANCE handhelds and therefore accept the poor battery life. But, is that the wrong decision? I don't think so.

They either STOP making any progress with handhelds. That equals industry stagnation.
Or they accept that the battery life is going to be diminished. That equals industry progression with a asterisk.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
What? Of course they are to blame. If they can't provide adequate battery life than they should make the device consume less power. It's a design decision and consumers have every right not to agree with it.

totowhoa

Banned
Would it be possible for a handheld to allow a user to adjust the quality of the visuals on a per-game basis a-la PC games in order to generate greater battery life, or is the bulk of the battery being used hardly salvageable in this way? Although this is a different issue altogether, removing the 3D effect will give you significantly more battery life for the 3DS... which is what made me wander about this. People already disable extraneous handheld features under circumstances that would require a longer battery life. As battery life becomes a battle, could these energy-saving cutbacks be applied to software in a significant way?

While I think battery life is manageable on these two handhelds for my portable gaming habits (although just barely, and I'm going to have to make it a habit to charge more often), I can see it really becoming an issue when we get our next helping of handhelds if the battery tech doesn't increase.

linkboy

Baller said:
I agree 100%. I have 2 spare batteries for my PSP-3000. International plane ride? No fucking problem.

I wish Sony would support replaceable batteries in the NGP, but I know they won't since that's how piracy started on the PSP. I wish they could find a way to block the hacks while still allowing gamers to swap their batteries.

Piracy had started a long time before Pandora came out (Dark Alex had OE firmware out before that). Also, that's 100% on Sony. They left service mode in the PSP (its how they unbrick PSP that are shipped to them), the hacking community used a CPU exploit to access it.

Had they not had the battery serial kick the PSP into service mode, it wouldn't have been hacked that way.

And yes, I think hardware should freeze until battery power catches up. This goes for cell phones big time.

X26

Banned
a $300 netbook can stay on for as much as 7hrs, and they have a much larger screen to power and are far less specialized

makes sense to me that people expect a lot from the battery life of a portable

Sipowicz said:

Except that the iphone doesn't need to power two screens, one of them being a 3D one. Also, get back to me when you manage to play a graphics heavy game on the iphone for longer than 5 hours.

Amir0x said:
There's only two options here - literally.

They either STOP making any progress with handhelds. That equals industry stagnation.
Or they accept that the battery life is going to be diminished. That equals industry progression with a asterisk.

STOP making progress 100%? Not at all. Progress can still be had, but more so not going balls to the wall with technology.

Again the 3DS has some major advancements and gets great battery life (in 2D mode). It only gets massive battery drains thanks to that early tech 3D screen.

X26 said:
a $300 netbook can stay on for as much as 7hrs, and they have a much larger screen to power and are far less specialized

makes sense to me that people expect a lot from the battery life of a portable
Although netbooks are small, they still have more room for a bigger battery.

Top Bottom