• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story 3DS remake announced [Update: Quote Model Render In OP]

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Update:

Vic said:
2lnetfr.jpg

Nice.

More artworks in this interview: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/interview/25337
Original:

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/cave-story-remake-announced-for-3ds/a-2011021016228990012

2rWHj.jpg

I was thinking that there is no downside to this, then I read

GR: So it’ll be 2D gameplay, but the character models and levels are now polygons?

Tyrone Rodriguez: Right, yeah.

Oh for gods sake its going 2.5D. Damnit.

LiK

Jeremy Parish just tweeted this, thought he was drunk.

Just played Cave Story 3DS. Now off to dinner with the people behind some of my favorite games. This job is pretty OK sometimes!

Sipowicz

Banned
ffs. the 3DS keeps gettins awesome games

i'm going to have to fucking buy one now

Mama Robotnik said:
Oh for gods sake its going 2.5D

it'll probably have a normal mode like the wiiware one

Hmmmm....

I've been holding out on the WiiWare version for a while (have played the PC version). This looks like a pretty neat project if they stay true to the original style, and I think both this and the original version would complement one another quite well.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Considering the original version will still be available on DSiWare, I am totally cool with this. Not sure if I like the visual style, but hey.

Pretty damn cool, though I hope it isn't too long before we get a sprite-based 3DS sidescroller with tons of parallax layers and scaling effects. That'd be awesome in 3D.

I'd prefer completely new levels for this, though - the designs look too close to the original for their own good.

Red

Awwwww yeah

You guys are hating on 2.5D just to hate at this point. It says right there it'll play like 2D.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
What's wrong with 2.5D again? I don't get the hate.

It says it's a boxed release and they're adding new content to it.

Surprisingly, Pixel adds at the end that there's a good chance that a sequel might be made, which is surprising considering I'm pretty sure he's said he had no plans in the past.

Gravijah

EmCeeGramr said:

Surprisingly, Pixel adds at the end that there's a good chance that a sequel might be made, which is surprising considering I'm pretty sure he's said he had no plans in the past.

Mmm, possible sequel. Alright, goddamn it. I SUPPORT THEE, CAVE STORY 3DS!

_dementia said:
Kinda loses it's charm, doesn't it?

A bit. Don't like all the added detail within the concept screens. I prefer the simplicity of the original.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
EmCeeGramr said:

Money is a nice thing

Loam

Absolutely fantastic, the original freeware game is a true gem. Between this, the DSi and Wiiware versions, I'm glad to see the author is finally making some money off of his project.

That said I hope theres a classic mode. Remastered graphics are good, but I'm not really a fan of 2.5d.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Look forward to playing it in 2013 in PAL regions, then not here in Australia.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
WinoMcCougarstein said:
What's wrong with 2.5D again? I don't get the hate.

Purists will say the pixel art is part of what made the original game great.

Wren said:
Absolutely fantastic, the original freeware game is a true gem. Between this, the DSi and Wiiware versions, I'm glad to see the author is finally making some money off of his project.

That said I hope theres a classic mode. Remastered graphics are good, but I'm not really a fan of 2.5d.
I wonder if a classic mode would include both the original graphics as well as the WiiWare graphics.

JaseC said:
Purists will say the pixel art is part of what made the original game great.
Well it definitely contributed to Cave Story's uniqueness when it was first released. These concept caves look great too, though.

Sew

Oh this looks fantastic! My first reaction was negative, but after reading the article it looks like it's in good hands.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6298518.html

Nippon Ichi is best known for its strategy role-playing games like the Disgaea series, but the niche publisher is making its 3D debut with a decidedly different kind of game. The company today announced it is working with Nicalis to bring the developer's Cave Story franchise to the 3DS this summer.

While Cave Story 3D will feature glasses-free stereoscopic 3D graphics, the game will still play like the side-scrolling action adventure that inspired it. As the title's diminutive protagonist, players will find themselves in a cave with no recollection of the past, but assurance that they must aid a group of adorable rabbit-like critters.

Originally known as Doukutsu Monogatari, Cave Story was first released as a free-to-play PC game in 2004. Nicalis adapted it and released it as a WiiWare title last March, with a DSiWare edition following in November. Nippon Ichi has said it hopes this new version will "bring new life" to the game, and make it accessible to new audiences.

So if it's far enough along to ship this summer, and they showed a playable demo to Parish et al., why not release some actual gameplay screenshots/footage?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
No_Style said:
I haven't gotten around playing this. I guess I'll wait now.

I was also waiting for the DSiWare version
Its freeware on PC, and incredibly replayable. Why hold off? Enjoy it now, and then enjoy it again when it comes out?

Top Bottom