• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story 3DS remake announced [Update: Quote Model Render In OP]

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
JaseC said:
Purists will say the pixel art is part of what made the original game great.

Pixel art is overrated. Yup, I said it.

sfried said:
Knowing NIS, I hope they don't add Curly Brace horsey torture in this one...
You can already find her underwear in the game, giving NIS a clear excuse to package panties with the special edition.

Somnid

Cave Story is amazing but a $40 second remake might be pushing it. The content better be a significant step up from the Wiiware version. At least the obligatory crossover will be neat.

Somnid said:
Cave Story is amazing but a $40 second remake might be pushing it. The content better be a significant step up from the Wiiware version. At least the obligatory crossover will be neat.
You could always just buy the first remake on DSiWare or play it for free on PC.

There's plenty of options.

The_Technomancer said:
Its freeware on PC, and incredibly replayable. Why hold off? Enjoy it now, and then enjoy it again when it comes out?
Because it'd be great to play through the first time in 3D, because the 2D game could get old before the 3D version came out...

Me, I only found it fun to play through the game twice. Makes me wish I had held off, especially if they include a mode to play with original graphics but in 3D.

Wow, it's not only a "launch window" title, but will be available "around the time of release". They've done a great job hiding the fact that they were working on this.

ShockingAlberto said:
CaveStoryInfo--article_image.jpg

Sold.
Can't help but think how awesome a sequel/spin-off cavestory game would be with this sort of gameplay/style. Third Person Action-Shooter-Platformer, in 3D, with environments like that? That'd be the shiiiiiit. Something like Megaman Legends with 3D platforming.

Somnid

ShockingAlberto said:
You could always just buy the first remake on DSiWare or play it for free on PC.

There's plenty of options.

That's my point. Why does this need to exist in the form it does?

Wow, I'd pay full current-gen retail for this. Looks amazing. Cave Story is a game I'll buy on every platform it comes out on for the rest of my life. I want to help put Pixel's kids through college.

Amir0x

Banned
Not sure what the point of this is. The original pixel art was kinda perfect and the new reimagining kinda looks dull. Well, I hope they at least have lots of new content for a downgrade graphical remake of a game that is free.

true 2D is dead isn't it :(

Somnid said:
That's my point. Why does this need to exist in the form it does?
Probably because Pixel and NISA want to make money, want to take the series to a broader audience, and whatever sequel Pixel wants to do will probably be a retail release and thus he wants the series to be exposed?

I mean, do you want an artistic reason or something?

Salsa

sfried said:
That's what the DSiWare version is for.
Which you can still play on the 3DS.

Yep. Best version available as well.

I'll still get this though, of course. But its hard for me to see it retaining the charm the original had. It basically looks like Cave Story Powered Up.

We'll see.

Amir0x said:
true 2D is dead isn't it :(

Yeah, i need more 2D titles on my 3DS :/

Ellis Kim

Banned
I'll probably end up buying it, but it'd be great if the original was included as well. I hope Pixel is heavily involved in this remake thing, at least for the sound design... and I REALLY hope they don't use the godforbidden ugly-ass portrait redesigns that they did for absolutely no reason for the WiiWare port.

jett

D-Member
That looks positively mediocre. In a perfect world it would look like Fez.

fezgamescreen001292640650.png

That's actually made up of polygons.

Umm, I like Cave Story and all, but would it kill Pixel/Nicalis to give us something new? Also the screenshot in the OP looks hideos.

Salsa

Amir0x said:
Yes, we do. I literally don't need to say anything more to counter the inherent stupidity in your sarcasm.

hahah wow dude i was being serious, no sarcasm.

The only remotely similar thing to 2D we have is Paper Mario (wich of course i love, but), it sucks.

One of my biggest fears with the 3DS is this, the lack of 2D games. Along with the fact that i dont see both screens working together the same way they used to (as in Yoshi's Island 2).

-WindYoshi- said:
Mama Robotnik has an opinion. Mama Robotnik is influential. People follow. Hivemind theory 101.

Hivemind rubbish is rubbish.

Some people prefer pixel and sprite 2D gaming, as we found out in the thread earlier this week. Yes I'm one of them. Some people prefer the 2.5D visual style of game. You may be one of them. There's nothing wrong with having a preference, and there's certainly no need to condescend either opinion with a load of bizzare hivemind nonsense.

Eteric Rice

SalsaShark said:

The only remotely similar thing to 2D we have is Paper Mario (wich of course i love, but), it sucks.

One of my biggest fears with the 3DS is this, the lack of 2D games. Along with the fact that i dont see both screens working together the same way they used to (as in Yoshi's Island 2).

We're going to see mostly 3D games at first I think. You have to realize that this is the system's launch, so everyone wants to take advantage of the 3DS's biggest feature (3D).

When the hype dies down a little, we'll likely get 2D games again.

Salsa

Eteric Rice said:
We're going to see mostly 3D games at first I think. You have to realize that this is the system's launch, so everyone wants to take advantage of the 3DS's biggest feature (3D).

When the hype dies down a little, we'll likely get 2D games again.

Yeah, i hope so.

Im still cool with 2D art used the way Paper Mario does, taking advantage of the 3D feature.

Fez is a good example.

I still don't know why they can't just make a new adventure. This is what, the 4th graphical overhaul of the same game??

STILL DAY 1 FOR ME!

You 2D vs 3D guys need to be more specific :) What I want are 2D games using stereoscopic 3D, like the few 8-bit demo's they had at E3. It looks amazing.

Despera

Banned
I have a feeling that awesome concept art won't translate well to 3D. They should've kept it in 2D. Imagine Cave Story in a Braid-like visual style.

Despera said:
I have a feeling that awesome concept art won't translate well to 3D. They should've kept it in 2D. Imagine Cave Story in a Braid-like visual style.
You can see what it looks like right here:

Real art:
2rWHj.jpg

Concept art:
First_Caves--article_image.jpg

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Man this 2.5D hate is ridiculous. If you want to play this game in 2D on the 3DS get the DSi one what is the problem. And they already made a redrawn higher-res version on WiiWare. What would a sprite-based remake accomplish? It's already been done. There's nothing about those redrawn sprites that needs re-remaking. I genuinely do not get it.

2.5D means the 3D effect will actually be pretty great. I mean sure with sprites you can get a nice parallax-style cutout effect, but polygons will give much more gradation to the depth of the backgrounds. Though I have to say I'm not especially impressed by that polygonal environment shot in the OP, it comes nowhere close to that new art.

This ticks me off a little though cause I have never beat Hell, and I know I never will. I got up to it in the DSi one and figured YES I could never do this on my keyboard but now I will have it!!!!!but nope I can't do it for shit. I can't even get past the damn heavy press. UGHHH I HATE THIS PART OF THE GAME and I hate even more that I will be sure to unlock that path in the 3DS one and thus never beat the game ever there GREAT.

totowhoa

Banned
Played it on PC long ago and skipped the retail releases. Will definitely pick this up :D I'm a huge fan of pixel art, but I don't mind giving it a go with 3D graphics. Not like it's hard to find a way to play the 2D version for cheap or anything. Looking forward to the sequel that seems to probably be on its way.

Edit: And to note, I may retract that statement, assuming the visuals don't improve. I assume they will since this is just an early screen, but it doesn't get any more drab than that right there. Still optimistic about the final product. Gameplay is already ace, they just need to get some smooth visuals.

Amir0x

Banned
SalsaShark said:

oh, I interpreted the ":/" as a "der it's the THREE DEE ESS, not the TWO DEE ESS." My bad then :D

We still cool, Salsa. We still cool! ;)

Top Bottom