• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2D vs 2.5D: Which one is better?

apana

It seems like the public prefers 2.5D. I'm not a hundred percent sure why, but maybe it makes them feel like that the game is more advanced or more modern. Nintendo has firmly placed its support into the 2.5D camp and the success of NSMB and DKC proves that they were right from the perspective of the mainstream. Which do you think is better for games?

No 2.5D game looks as good as Yoshi's Island. 2D wins on that alone.

The vivid colours, and hand-drawn sprite beauty of 2D outclasses 2.5D nearly every time. Super Mario World looks infinitely better than New Super Mario Bros. Sonic 1/2/CD/3k looks infinitely better than Sonic Rush and Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

And I don't think I've seen a side-scroller that looks better than the legendary Guardian Heroes.

Therefore, in my opinion, 2D sprite-based gaming is long overdue a comeback.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Neither is better, its all about what the game experience is about.

Red

Depends on the game. How can you compare this? One isn't inherently better than the other, there will be both shitty games and brilliant games in both perspectives. 2.5D and 2D do nothing in and of themselves that affect gameplay.

apana said:
I thought 2D would have been cheaper. Can you explain?
Well, I was mainly thinking of animating hand drawn 2D sprites individually which is quite costly. When you're using a 3D system you can use the same animations on different 3D objects.

apana

Crunched said:
Depends on the game. How can you compare this? One isn't inherently better than the other, there will be both shitty games and brilliant games in both perspectives. 2.5D and 2D do nothing in and of themselves that affect gameplay.

The interaction with the enviornment is a little different in 2.5D? Also the two styles are in direct competition with one another. How can we not compare them?

Mama Robotnik said:
No 2.5D game looks as good as Yoshi's Island. 2D wins on that alone.

The vivid colours, and hand-drawn sprite beauty of 2D outclasses 2.5D nearly every time. Super Mario World looks infinitely better than New Super Mario Bros. Sonic 1/2/CD/3k looks infinitely better than Sonic Rush and Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

I don't think I've seen a side-scroller that looks better than the legendary Guardian Heroes.
Are you arguing that this is impossible, though?

There was a time when those 2D games you mentioned got the highest budgets they could muster. No 2.5D game since that generation has been as lucky since we're only now seeing some market acceptance of them.

If you took the graphics from, say, Ni no Kuni, and made a 2.5D game out of them, would you still insist that it looks worse than Sonic 2?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
2D by a factor of roughly 8 trillion.

2D at its best is timeless, gorgeous, and has unmatched character and charm.

2.5D at its best ranges from a disgusting abortion to a poor man's facsimile of something great.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
2D =/= sprites and hand drawn

example:
-Marvel vs Capcom 3 is a 2D game, nothing in the gameplay is 3D
-Little Big Planet is 2.5 D game, 3D elements affecting the 2D gameplay directly

SnakeXs said:
2.5D at its best ranges from a disgusting abortion to a poor man's facsimile of something great.

Viewtiful Joe says fuck uuuuuuuu
....in style

eXistor

I' ll always prefer 2D. Generally, the controls feel tighter and more accurate, though of course this is much down to how well its respective tech is utilised. Perfect examples of games that should have been 2D are Ultimate Ghouls ' N Ghosts and Dracula X Chronicles on PSP, you can effectively compare them to their 2D counterparts and it' ll become obvious which is better.

Also play NSMB for an hour and then pop in SMB 3 or SMW, the difference is staggering. Not only do both games look better (sprite art needs to make a major comeback) the games feel more accurate, I never really get a feeling 3d characters interact well together.

WillyFive

I greatly dislike the term '2.5D'.

But I like sprites, but I also like 3D backgrounds, so....no preference. They both can be awesome and can both suck.

ShockingAlberto said:
Are you arguing that this is impossible, though?

There was a time when those 2D games you mentioned got the highest budgets they could muster. No 2.5D game since that generation has been as lucky since we're only now seeing some market acceptance of them.

If you took the graphics from, say, Ni no Kuni, and made a 2.5D game out of them, would you still insist that it looks worse than Sonic 2?

I'd have to see the game running of course. Looking at Ni no Kuni, I can't imagine its visuals being made in 2.5D without losing some of their beauty. Maybe if done well, it could prove me wrong.

Its certainly possible for 2.5D to get better, but at the moment the best looking 2.5D games look positively shoddy when compared to their 2D sprite-based predecessors.

Tain said:
The best examples of both put 2D ahead.

Spot on.

Red

apana said:
The interaction with the enviornment is a little different in 2.5D? Also the two styles are in direct competition with one another. How can we not compare them?
NSMBWii and DKCR were used as examples of 2.5D in the OP, and they do very little that couldn't be done in a 2D game. I don't think NSMB does anything at all different except have fully rendered objects and characters, and DKCR basically does very little differently from DKC besides the ability to travel along the background (and that's a trick that's been done in 2D before).

msv

eXistor said:
Also play NSMB for an hour and then pop in SMB 3 or SMW, the difference is staggering. Not only do both games look better (sprite art needs to make a major comeback) the games feel more accurate, I never really get a feeling 3d characters interact well together.
This has nothing to do with the fact that it's rendered in 3D.

I like the look of 2.5D much better, not for the games there are, but for the possibilities it has. I think games have the potential be much more stunning with 3D models than solely with hand-drawn sprites. But it comes down to preference obviously. The two are different styles and cannot be compared directly.

Emonga said:
Epic Yarn looks better than Yoshi's Island. Deal with it.

Super-Mario-Advance-3--Yoshis-Island-For-Android.jpg

I deal with nothing,

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
2.5d can have an absolute and definite technical edge when it runs at 60fps and involves extremely fluid animation or is a game where full physics are involved.

LittleBigPlanet would not be possible using sprites - not possible to make a game that moves and feels the same way, or better.

Likewise, no 2D fighting game has animation as smooth as the best 2.5D fighters like SFIV and MVC3 - that's not subjective, it's purely technical. No hand animated game ever made has 60 unique frames of animation for every single movement and transition.

2D animation can give a better artistic impression, like the famous rubbery, stretchy animation in Street Fighter III. But at this point, it's no longer a matter of sprites simply working better for a 2D game; there's tradeoffs in each direction.

Also, I don't really believe that 2D games using 3D engines can't feel or play like a sprite based game; I believe much of this is just perception bias on the part of the players, who are convincing themselves a 2D game is "more responsive". Developers have figured out how to translate snappy control and physics to 2.5D games now; the fact that theres infinite depth perception and softer edges to objects (due in part to z-space depth on those objects) may lead people to believe they're not seeing the same harsh, digital response in controls or collision detection.

Truth is, now that we have high quality 2.5D games around, I can't go back to certain games. I can't play a fighting game with King of Fighters style animation, and Arc System Works' stuff, while having pretty still frames, is pretty fuggly and awkward in terms of animation, leading the gameplay to actually feel more floaty and mushy than it is.

But, some folks seem unwilling to accept that 2.5D graphics just have their own art style and are determined to see them an inferior imitation of "real" 2D graphics.

"2.5D" is bullsh*t.

Just call this spade a spade. It's 3D pretending to be 2D.

It's pulled off in some instances, never by Capcom/Dimps/Eighting; and I still feel there's a massive amount of room for improvement as 3D pretending to be 2D isn't convincing as actual sprite work. Stuff looks like real time Donkey Kong Country / Killer Instinct (at best) and that sh*t is just garish.

Give me more bold visual stylization than what we're seeing now and it will be tolerable. Until then, it will always be as Bufallo Bill making a girl suit and playing pretend.

apana

NSMB Wii and DKCR look incredible through emulation. Just imagine what could be done on Wii 2. I think that's just the system holding it back.

Also Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is considered a pure 2D game?

~Devil Trigger~ said:
2D =/= sprites and hand drawn

example:
-Marvel vs Capcom 3 is a 2D game, nothing in the gameplay is 3D
-Little Big Planet is 2.5 D game, 3D elements affecting the 2D gameplay directly

Viewtiful Joe says fuck uuuuuuuu
....in style

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Crunched said:
NSMBWii and DKCR were used as examples of 2.5D in the OP, and they do very little that couldn't be done in a 2D game. I don't think NSMB does anything at all different except have fully rendered objects and characters, and DKCR basically does very little differently from DKC besides the ability to travel along the background (and that's a trick that's been done in 2D before).

What both those games bring to the table is that they flow like hot butter down a greased chute. The sheer fluidity of their movement and animation - that includes animated background and interactive elements, not just characters - is something no 2D game before has achieved; not even Yoshi's Island, in the same way. Kirby's Epic Yard is also up there for the amazing fluidity it brings to the gameplay and feeling.

Depends on the game. I would never want 2.5D visuals for Yoshi's Island, but a game like DKCR could never really be done with purely 2D visuals.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Who in their right mind thinks 2.5D looks better?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Kaijima said:
What both those games bring to the table is that they flow like hot butter down a greased chute. The sheer fluidity of their movement and animation - that includes animated background and interactive elements, not just characters - is something no 2D game before has achieved; not even Yoshi's Island, in the same way. Kirby's Epic Yard is also up there for the amazing fluidity it brings to the gameplay and feeling.

I think I threw up a little in my mouth while reading this.

Davidion

I think NSMB and Kirby's Epic Yarn is two examples of 2.5D really done right as far as aesthetics goes, but even in those cases I think nicely done 2D would come close or outmatch it altogether.

Other than this, I can't recall ever preferring 2.5D over 2D for looks or feel.

USD

2.5D is great as long as it's both 3D characters and backgrounds (played on a two-dimensional plane obviously). I also love 2D, and always will. There are a lot of things though that you can do with 3D graphics that are hard to replicate in 2D without undertaking painstakingly long amounts of effort.

Sometimes I wish someone would create a "sprite filter," that would combine the relative ease of 3D graphics with a hand-drawn look.

Each has their own place but I am of the opinion that 2D art is generally more stylistically pleasing than 3D art. 2D art generally seems to have much more character, and an individual artist's style can flourish better in 2D. It's easier to do abstract lighting effects for the sake of tone, too.

2.5D has advantages, though. Klonoa and Tomba on the PS1 are good showcases as to why that is (being able to move through background layers in psuedo-3D space, etc.)

I can't say that one is better than the other. It depends on what kind of look you're going for with the game.

Celshaded polygons can look pretty damned good (See Street Fighter IV) but, I have yet to see polygons that could pass for HD sprites or an anime.

Non-celshaded polygon games like DKCR and NSMB come pretty close to the pre-rendered look of CG movies. And they definitely looks better than the old DKC games. I doubt DKCR would actually look better if it used pre-rendered sprites.

Also, I doubt most developers could make something that looks as realistic as say, Shadow Complex, using sprites.

As far as pure 2D games go, Odin Sphere and Muramasa are reigning kings of everything, but I can't deny the visual pizzazz of both Kirby's Epic Yarn and Donkey Kong Country Returns. I'd say it's even.

Top Bottom