• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2D vs 2.5D: Which one is better?

hteng

Banned
3D models are getting there, it really comes down to art direction and if you want to commit to that style.

i still say it takes alot more effort for sprites creation, and there's always the sort of appeal that can't be found in 3D models.. not sure what, maybe it's the fact that it's not perfect that makes it appealing ?

Neither can really be objectively classified as better. In the end it's art direction that makes or breaks the visual experience, and no amount of tessellated polygons or hand-painted backgrounds is going to change that.

That being said, I'll agree that sprite work and "2D" or whatever you wanna call it should be embraced a little more. I see a good analogy with black and white or even in the videogame field itself with "retro" art, it's not an outmoded method of artistic form, it's simply now another tool in the kit of art design, albeit not the latest and most trendy form. I would kill for a game to take the same direction that Legend of Mana did and add to it the capabilities of today's graphics processing power (e.g. more stuff in the vein of Ninokuni)

apana

Platy said:
Sorry if my post sounded ironic or anything .... that was a real question =x

Didn't saw the news about these .... will look for then =D

Marian:

Marian2DBigShot.png

Capsized:

shot1.jpg

Top Bottom