• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story 3DS remake announced [Update: Quote Model Render In OP]

Sew

The Take Out Bandit said:
Is this legit port or homebrew?

I've never played Cave Story, but if I can give someone money for it on PSP I just might do that. :O
Homebrew isn't legit..?

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but just to be clear, there are no illegal ports of the original Cave Story. People were given access to the source code to port it to various platforms (including PSP, GP2X) before it went commercial.

Cave Story has been free homebrew for a long time. Pixel is/was a homebrew dev.

Sorry, I don't mean to rant at you (and this post isn't directed solely at you). I just get the horrible sense that many people really think homebrew = hacks & piracy. :(

vall03

thank god I held back getting the Wii version! was supposed to get the DSiWare version but opted to wait for the details on how DSiWare to 3DS transfers works, but still... the 2D version does have its charms, might still get the DSiWare version then the 3D version!

It's impressive that they'll have this ready for launch window, I wonder if that's going to have to slip. Either way, I have a bad feeling this isn't going to perform as well as they'll need it to as a full retail release.

geeko

Geez, gaf and its huge opinion on everything.

Gaf's opinion is like a stampeding herd of rhinoceroses that can't be stopped. You just get out of its way.

I think this looks awesome, 2.5d and everything. 3DS, I want you soooo bad.

rar

oh come on, just make a new game if you want to make a 2.5d platformer. dont make cave story into something it isn't... you won't be able to replicate the art and style in 3d

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Kulock said:
It's impressive that they'll have this ready for launch window, I wonder if that's going to have to slip. Either way, I have a bad feeling this isn't going to perform as well as they'll need it to as a full retail release.
If it releases close enough to the 3DS launch, I can see it being reasonably successful.

EmCeeGramr said:
Surprisingly, Pixel adds at the end that there's a good chance that a sequel might be made, which is surprising considering I'm pretty sure he's said he had no plans in the past.

I, too, am shocked that Pixel was less optimistic about a sequel as a mopey and depressed Japanese salaryman who spent five years making a game that made him no money than he is now that said game is nearing its third paid and expanded release.

Brazil said:
If it releases close enough to the 3DS launch, I can see it being reasonably successful.

I really hope they don't rush it - based on what little was apparently shown (it wasn't even running in 3D yet, according to IGN), it doesn't sound like it's far enough along to ship in six months.

charlequin said:
I, too, am shocked that Pixel was less optimistic about a sequel as a mopey and depressed Japanese salaryman who spent five years making a game that made him no money than he is now that said game is nearing its third paid and expanded release.
I guess I just wanted to believe it was one of those idealistic "I made the game and now it's done, no reason to spend years making another" things.

Father_Brain said:
I really hope they don't rush it - based on what little was apparently shown (it wasn't even running in 3D yet, according to IGN), it doesn't sound like it's far enough along to ship in six months.
They said it would be "around the time of release". So probably April.

Tain

Remake all the levels with the difficulty of the best ending's final dungeon (the one before hell?) as a base and I might be down. That and Hell were pretty damn good!

As it stands, I don't think I can see myself enjoying a second playthrough of Cave Story.

EmCeeGramr said:
I guess I just wanted to believe it was one of those idealistic "I made the game and now it's done, no reason to spend years making another" things.

well when you have people working for you, your job gets easier. hell he could just oversee the project if he wants

Tain said:
Remake all the levels to be as rough as the true ending's final dungeon (the one before hell?) and I might be down.

As it stands, I don't think I can see myself enjoying a second playthrough of Cave Story.

you were able to access sanctuary after your first play through? you must have had a guide. I would have never guessed I had to do all those random things with curly to get the good ending. I'm glad i played without a guide on my first run through. I've gotten all endings :D

Tain

Yeah, someone told me the things to do to get the best ending from the offset, said I'd probably like it more that way.

Sew

g35twinturbo said:
is it wrong that I am sad for wanting to buy a 3ds for this?
Nah. Hang on, yeah. Your question is complicated.

To answer it another way, this is the first thing that has made me want a 3DS.

mclem

Lovely. Want.

I just hope *this* will be a final definitive version, because I keep putting off actually *purchasing* a copy because a new, better one comes along, and after playing the original, Pixel deserves my money!

moozoom

The backgrounds are great, but I don't like the new character design, at all. Something with the eyes and the features on the faces is wrong... What I like about the original sprite of Quote, is the thin , long eyes and the square face...

Some of the fan-arts could have inspired them...

lzHBTRNzqmwgersdNtX9uxpco1_400.gif
3488005036_3332d29035_o_display.gif

cave_story.jpg

^In this one, the face is anime-ish, but it's cute.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Thing is, I think those character sketches are meant for proportional reference for the 3D model. I'm just worried the face portraits will be ugly again, and this time there won't be a graphics toggle option.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
moozoom said:
The backgrounds are great, but I don't like the new character design, at all. Something with the eyes and the features on the faces is wrong... What I like about the original sprite of Quote, is the thin , long eyes and the square face...

It's important to remember that unless it's heavily stylized (which it probably should be) its very difficult to translate 2D art to 3D. 2D is almost always distorted in some way, and that is often lossed when pushing it towards 3D.

SamBishop

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
Oh for gods sake its going 2.5D. Damnit.

No, it's not. It's still completely 2D. Rest easy. I played it a few hours ago. It was quite neat. Early, but they're really doing the whole transition right. You may now be properly excited; this is A Good Thing.

SamBishop said:
No, it's not. It's still completely 2D. Rest easy. I played it a few hours ago. It was quite neat. Early, but they're really doing the whole transition right. You may now be properly excited; this is A Good Thing.
I'm not sure you know what 2.5D is.

Not sure how I feel about this. Then again, the original version is available on DSiWare to play on the 3DS anyway so why the hell not!

As long as it has Pixel's blessing, I'm ok with it.

It does seem a bit like overkill, but it would be good to see it get a retail release at last.

Suzzopher

I'm still waiting for the DSiWare version in Europe. Looks like I might wait until this version is released in 2016.

Seriously though, I bought this on WiiWare and loved it. Probably my favourite download of last year. Such a great little game.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
As long as you can only move on left to right on one plain (e.i not like LBP) then ok, but to be fair a big part of the appeal for the original was the pixel art, PSP version is the best I've played so far.

EVIL

Father_Brain said:
A typical 2.5d platformer (edit: for the DS, and by the looks of it, it could run on the DS - polycount wise) takes about 6 months (thats about the time budget we have for a platformer, and from the looks of it, the pre production phase is over, so they are now building content. With a large enough team 6 months is an easy mark.

Sew

orioto said:
But why didn't they make it 3D 2D ??? I mean.. parallaxes and stuff you know.. There is depth!
But what if they went too far and made it 3D 2.5D? I'm getting outraged just thinking about it!

Luigiv

Smiles and Cries said:
Good for me never played it.

damn you Nintendo and your so called "Launch Window"

if Sony and MS starts saying launch window I'm going to SCREAM
Microsoft where the ones who coined the term in the first place...

Twig

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
It says it's a boxed release and they're adding new content to it.

Surprisingly, Pixel adds at the end that there's a good chance that a sequel might be made, which is surprising considering I'm pretty sure he's said he had no plans in the past.
I dunno. Seems like there's been enough financial success!

I love the level concept art, but I'm not so sure about the actual in-game art. I'm sure it'll get better as time goes on, though. And it might look better up close instead of zoomed out like that.

Kuran said:
Didn't they get the memo that the pixels was what made the game so charming in the first place?
Yeah the game was horrible outside of the art.

eXistor

Yay, another version of this...in 2.5 D no less...
I love Cave Story as much as the next guy, but this is getting ridiculous, make that sequel dammit!

Hylian7

moozoom said:

Some of the fan-arts could have inspired them...

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/...y fan arts/lzHBTRNzqmwgersdNtX9uxpco1_400.gif
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/... fan arts/3488005036_3332d29035_o_display.gif
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/roimechant/cave story fan arts/cave_story.jpg
^In this one, the face is anime-ish, but it's cute.
The problem is, that would make everyone else look awkward if they drew quote that way. Quote HAS to be short like that or it won't fit in the game. If he was as tall as he is in those drawings, he will look incredibly strange standing next to the Doctor. Sure, they could just make the Doctor taller, then the Doctor will end up looking really strange too.

I actually like the art.

On another note, I'm really anxious to find out what the Doctor will look like.

mclem

Ignis Fatuus said:
I'm not sure you know what 2.5D is.

To be fair, it's a bit of a slang term that I've heard having two or three different definitions. I first heard the term to represent Doom, where the maps were heavily-disguised 2D rather than true 3D. That's certainly not consistent with "2D gameplay, polygonal graphics".

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Amir0x said:
Not sure what the point of this is. The original pixel art was kinda perfect and the new reimagining kinda looks dull. Well, I hope they at least have lots of new content for a downgrade graphical remake of a game that is free.

true 2D is dead isn't it :(

I do agree with you Ami, the 2.5d polygon style always seems to lack the charm of real 2D visuals.

Top Bottom