• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story 3DS remake announced [Update: Quote Model Render In OP]

Twig

Banned
mclem said:
To be fair, it's a bit of a slang term that I've heard having two or three different definitions. I first heard the term to represent Doom, where the maps were heavily-disguised 2D rather than true 3D. That's certainly not consistent with "2D gameplay, polygonal graphics".
The widely accepted definition is: 2D gameplay, 3D art.

Only very rarely do people use it in any other fashion these days.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Hmm... The polygon characters don't look TOO bad, but I hope that animation isn't indicative of the animation quality in-game.

To be honest I'm a little burned out on the original Cave Story now, so this 2.5D remake isn't doing a lot for me. I'll definitely buy a sequel though!

...Also, I've no idea when people started calling Doom 2.5D or whatever, but I've only ever heard it being used in reference to 2D gameplay in partial or total polygonal environments, e.g. New Super Mario Bros. Wii, or half of the Playstation One platformers.

CaVaYeRo

SalsaShark said:
hahah wow dude i was being serious, no sarcasm.

The only remotely similar thing to 2D we have is Paper Mario (wich of course i love, but), it sucks.

One of my biggest fears with the 3DS is this, the lack of 2D games. Along with the fact that i dont see both screens working together the same way they used to (as in Yoshi's Island 2).

QFT. And book mode, and action @ touch screen...

Amir0x

Banned
squall23 said:
Super Robot Wars says other wise. Heck, I continually expect the 3DS SRWs to be the next standard of SRWs.

That'd be nice if they ever came to the USA :(

Only existing on one continent is barely existing at all!

moozoom

Hylian7 said:
The problem is, that would make everyone else look awkward if they drew quote that way. Quote HAS to be short like that or it won't fit in the game. If he was as tall as he is in those drawings, he will look incredibly strange standing next to the Doctor. Sure, they could just make the Doctor taller, then the Doctor will end up looking really strange too.

The size (or SD look) is not the problem, it's the expression of the face and the stylization... I made a 5mn photoshop edit to explain my point :

quote3ds.jpg

He looks a bit too much like bomberman on my mockup maybe, but i'd like this sort of look better. (If it's Pixel that made the new character designs, he's the creator so there's no discussion... he knows better than me how the characters should look like)

During the game the character will be zoomed out so it won't really a problem, but I still don't like Quote in the little 3D cutscene. I'd like to play the Dsiware but I don't think it's out in EU...

Mdk7

After reading this topic i decided it was time to eventually try this game, so i grabbed my DSi and searched the online store...
FUCK, they still haven't released it in Europe. -__-"

Definitely interested in this 3DS remake BTW!

Damn. I may have to get a 3DS sooner than I thought.

Having only played the PSP port, how different are the WiiWare/DSiWare versions? Would it be worth it to spend the necessary points, and will the DSiWare version be transferable to the 3DS? I was thisclose to getting it on my XL when it was released, but held off because I was unsure if Nintendo would allow it to be transferable.

wsippel

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
David Cox? Of Mercury Steam? So are the rumours correct, then?
Yep, Mercury Steam. It's still just a rumor, though there was an event in Spain recently where Mercury Steam supposedly confirmed to be working on a 3DS project, and there were rumblings said project would be Contra.

Twig

Banned
zoukka said:
Yeah it kinda is, but it's not the only stupid acronym we know and probably not the worst.
Now you've lost me. 2.5D is not an acronym! Neither is it stupid. It just "is".

May16

So...did they announce anything else at this party/press conference of theirs, at all? Did they really summon a bunch of journalists to a 3-hour meeting about a Cave Story update?

zoukka

Twig said:
Now you've lost me. 2.5D is not an acronym! Neither is it stupid. It just "is".

Ok lol I know learned what acronym means :b

I still don't like the whole 2.5D term. You can't halve dimensions. But I guess it'll do until someone comes up with a better name for 3D games that operate on planes without the z axis :b

Ellis Kim

Banned
Mdk7 said:
After reading this topic i decided it was time to eventually try this game, so i grabbed my DSi and searched the online store...
FUCK, they still haven't released it in Europe. -__-"

Definitely interested in this 3DS remake BTW!
You could just download it for free on Pixel's site and download the English patch from the fan site.

Glad I never got the DSiWare version now!

And this thread is the first time I've ever heard 2.5D refer to anything other than a NSMB/Klonoa type game.

Gravijah

JodyAnthony said:

And this tgread is the first time I've ever heard 2.5D refer to anything other than a NSMB/Klonoa type game.

nooooooooooooo where is alton brownnnnnnnnnnnn

zigg

JodyAnthony said:

At this rate you're probably best off waiting for the Wii 2 collector's edition. It should be out pretty soon based on my calculations.

daakusedo

For the environments it will be great, for the characters I want to see during a game sequence, the sprites are probably the best things in the 2d game, decor not so much.

EVIL said:
A typical 2.5d platformer (edit: for the DS, and by the looks of it, it could run on the DS - polycount wise) takes about 6 months (thats about the time budget we have for a platformer, and from the looks of it, the pre production phase is over, so they are now building content. With a large enough team 6 months is an easy mark.

I doubt the bolded. But anyway, I'll believe it's coming along well when they release some actual gameplay media, including footage of the game running at a good framerate. Until then, I'm skeptical.

upandaway

Pixel said:
It’s now been 10 years since the original Cave Story came out, so I’m now thinking that maybe it’s time to start thinking about a sequel for Cave Story. There’s a very, very good chance we’ll see a sequel.
Damn. Why isn't this in the OP too? Nearly missed it.

MNC

moozoom said:
The size (or SD look) is not the problem, it's the expression of the face and the stylization... I made a 5mn photoshop edit to explain my point :

quote3ds.jpg

He looks a bit too much like bomberman on my mockup maybe, but i'd like this sort of look better. (If it's Pixel that made the new character designs, he's the creator so there's no discussion... he knows better than me how the characters should look like)

During the game the character will be zoomed out so it won't really a problem, but I still don't like Quote in the little 3D cutscene. I'd like to play the Dsiware but I don't think it's out in EU...
Yours is better FYI. Way better. It's how Quote looked in my mind actually. But yeah, Pixel knows best and all.

D-Pad

I am now confused over the meaning of 2.5d. I had always taken it to mean a mixture of 2D and 3D graphics (I.E., 3D background with 2D sprites, or vice-versa)...

mclem

D-Pad said:
I am now confused over the meaning of 2.5d. I had always taken it to mean a mixture of 2D and 3D graphics (I.E., 3D background with 2D sprites, or vice-versa)...

That was my point earlier; there are multiple definitions. Certainly, the people using it here are using it, as Twig implied, gameplay in two dimensions, but polygonal level art. That has the advantage of being able to use interestingly dynamic camera work (see Klonoa), trivially scale the view range (used a few times in DKCR), and easily 3D-ify things (see, well, this). Your definition is another I've seen (which I *think* the original Klonoa uses? He's a sprite, isn't he?), and the Doom definition is the first time I saw the term used.

Twig's definition does seem to be the more frequent term 'round these parts, but it's still a slang term; the name itself doesn't actually convey anything useful, unless you know what the describer means in advance.

Vinci

Danish
Mama Robotnik said:
Hivemind rubbish is rubbish.

Some people prefer pixel and sprite 2D gaming, as we found out in the thread earlier this week. Yes I'm one of them. Some people prefer the 2.5D visual style of game. You may be one of them. There's nothing wrong with having a preference, and there's certainly no need to condescend either opinion with a load of bizzare hivemind nonsense.

I agree completely, Mama Robotnik.

*nods emphatically*

SamBishop

Banned
Twig said:
The widely accepted definition is: 2D gameplay, 3D art.

Only very rarely do people use it in any other fashion these days.

I guess I'm one of the rare ones. The early definition that always stuck with me was something like Klonoa where there was movement along the Z axis but the world was still more or less a left/right or up/down way of moving. In that definition, this is most definitely not a 2.5D game. You're on one plane the entire time, hence my attempts at reassuring folks.

Guess the whole polygonal aspect is turning people off, though, which I can understand. Pixel art isn't something you can ever really replicate when making the jump to geometry. It's just not the same.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
SamBishop said:
I guess I'm one of the rare ones. The early definition that always stuck with me was something like Klonoa where there was movement along the Z axis but the world was still more or less a left/right or up/down way of moving. In that definition, this is most definitely not a 2.5D game. You're on one plane the entire time, hence my attempts at reassuring folks.

Guess the whole polygonal aspect is turning people off, though, which I can understand. Pixel art isn't something you can ever really replicate when making the jump to geometry. It's just not the same.
Models/characters are not the big draw of 3D, though - animation is. And while one surely could create hypothetically a 2D sprite-based game with animation sequences on par with polygonal models and skeletal animations, it is not viable in practice. That's why the average 2.5D/poly-2D game outguns the average sprite-2D game when it comes to animations.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It’s now been 10 years since the original Cave Story came out, so I’m now thinking that maybe it’s time to start thinking about a sequel for Cave Story. There’s a very, very good chance we’ll see a sequel.

Eh?

Why didn't they just make that game then? It's not like the DSIware remake isn't playable on 3DS. They could have pushed that in prep for the sequel.

I like Cave Story as much as the next guy but I'm not sure I'd pay to play through the same content again. Especially when they're ditching the spritework. So far not a fan of the 3D look or the redesigns.

I was all for supporting them for the wiiware version but now it just looks like they're getting greedy.

Gravijah

blu said:
Models/characters are not the big draw of 3D, though - animation is. And while one surely could create hypothetically a 2D sprite-based game with animation sequences on par with polygonal models and skeletal animations, it is not viable in practice. That's why the average 2.5D/poly-2D game outguns the average sprite-2D game when it comes to animations.

Even though I might prefer sprites, I can't argue with how good 2.5D games like NSMBW animate and play.

Vinci

Danish
Chopperman said:
Eh?

Why didn't they just make that game then? It's not like the DSIware remake isn't playable on 3DS. They could have pushed that in prep for the sequel.

I like Cave Story as much as the next guy but I'm not sure I'd pay to play through the same content again. Especially when they're ditching the spritework. So far not a fan of the 3D look or the redesigns.

I was all for supporting them for the wiiware version but now it just looks like they're getting greedy.

Because the sort of graphics this remake is going to sport will likely be better accepted at retail, which improves the game's chances of becoming better known and thus improves the marketability of the sequel.

L00P

I didn't get the Wiiware version because I felt that I was paying for a freeware game that I've already finished, but I might cave in on this one. So far it's lookin' good!

EDIT: Just read the article. Pixel said there's a good chance for a sequel. EXCITE!!!!

Top Bottom