• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story 3DS remake announced [Update: Quote Model Render In OP]

Twig

Banned
SamBishop said:
I guess I'm one of the rare ones. The early definition that always stuck with me was something like Klonoa where there was movement along the Z axis but the world was still more or less a left/right or up/down way of moving. In that definition, this is most definitely not a 2.5D game. You're on one plane the entire time, hence my attempts at reassuring folks.
I don't remember ever changing planes in Cave Story.

An example of a 2.5D game where you do change planes would be Tomba! - the best example being the Haunted Mansion area, if you've played it. When you reach the edge of the screen, it rotates so that you're only on one side of the "square" at a time.

But the gameplay is always 2D. It's a purely aesthetic thing.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
quote model is looking really good -- i guess this would be the thing to get if i end up with a 3ds somehow, since mahvel and ae have killed my interest in ssfiv

Instro

Damn I like that Quote model. Sounds like Pixel is getting a bit of work going in terms of videogames, good for him.

WillyFive

I think they should do a sequel, not a remake.

Also, I really dislike the term 2.5D. Until a game comes out that works in fractals, the game is not 2.5D! It's just 3D with 2D gameplay (or vice versa with games like Paper Mario and the DS Dragon Quests)!

That Quote looks much better than the model they showed off just yesterday. Maybe there's "in-game" Quote and "cinematic" Quote, the latter, more anime-styled one being used for things like the ending screens.

Gravijah

Willy105 said:
I think they should do a sequel, not a remake.

Also, I really dislike the term 2.5D. Until a game comes out that works in fractals, the game is not 2.5D! It's just 3D with 2D gameplay (or vice versa with games like Paper Mario and the DS Dragon Quests)!

People get what you're talking about (most of the time) and that's all that matters. Lots of terms/slang/etc in life don't make sense.

Twig

Banned
Gravijah said:
People get what you're talking about (most of the time) and that's all that matters. Lots of terms/slang/etc in life don't make sense.
Pretty much.

2.5D doesn't even have any stupid baggage like some terms - "casual", anyone? - so I really don't get why people complain about it. There's absolutely no reason.

Poyunch

Kulock said:
That Quote looks much better than the model they showed off just yesterday. Maybe there's "in-game" Quote and "cinematic" Quote, the latter, more anime-styled one being used for things like the ending screens.
It was definitely the face and eyes. It looked off. But Moozoom's look is still better.

I wish they just adapted the official art from the original game.

Pixel said:
Of course there are the original tracks that are with it, but there are also new ones and arranged versions of a lot of different types that are included in the 3DS version.
Wow - lots of arranged music styles to choose from this time. And this is how the game is almost done:

Nicalis said:
We have a pretty good relationship with Nintendo, and I can tell you with out taking too much of your time, we had equipment for quite a while.

Call me a hater, but I don't get all these rebuying these remakes games that have been out for years. Yeah, I mean it looks great, and if you haven't played it before, they should, but isn't there a free version still on PC? I'm sure anyone's computer can still play it.

phosphor112 said:
Call me a hater, but I don't get all these rebuying these remakes games that have been out for years. Yeah, I mean it looks great, and if you haven't played it before, they should, but isn't there a free version still on PC? I'm sure anyone's computer can still play it.
But not in 3D at the dentist office

mclem

phosphor112 said:

Because maybe we feel it's worth some money?

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
As a huge fan of the original, this looks absolutely gorgeous. I am a huge fan of pixel art, but you know what? This in no way changes or alters the original, and can stand on it's own merits.

Visually, it looks splendid.

YES!
0fXbs.gif

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
The fact that this game exists is blowing my fucking mind. I was already pumped for the 3DS but this is just beyond my expectations.

Fucking excellent.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I can only afford two games at launch. If this makes it I'm gonna be torn between it and Steel Diver (or Pilotwings Resort if the stuff about the Waverace/1080 like modes turns out to be true)

moozoom said:
The size (or SD look) is not the problem, it's the expression of the face and the stylization... I made a 5mn photoshop edit to explain my point :

quote3ds.jpg

He looks a bit too much like bomberman on my mockup maybe, but i'd like this sort of look better. (If it's Pixel that made the new character designs, he's the creator so there's no discussion... he knows better than me how the characters should look like)

During the game the character will be zoomed out so it won't really a problem, but I still don't like Quote in the little 3D cutscene. I'd like to play the Dsiware but I don't think it's out in EU...
I don't really see a difference between your mod and how the model looks in the OP :/

flawfuls

AceBandage said:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5291/5446210181_3cff681f34_o.png[IMG]

Priny confirmed?[/QUOTE]

That was just the image they used to tease the game before it announced, I doubt it means anything.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Diablohead said:
3D model looks terrible.
It looks great, it'll do just fine on a handheld screen with some decent art direction.

Cautiously optimistic about this, Cave Story is amazing no matter what the graphics look like but Nicalis couldn't even do the straight port right on WiiWare so I'm not getting my hopes up until I see some reviews.

Shirokun

The concept art is so stunning that it's making the 3d hard to swallow. I'm sure it will be a great update in the end but still.

rpmurphy

Interview with Pixel and Tyrone: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/15/the-making-of-cave-story-3d/

"Despite having the title Cave Story, a lot of the game didn’t feel like you’re in a cave. The atmosphere for the 3DS has the feel of a cave." It seemed like Amaya was afraid of revealing too much. He stressed how important it was for players to discover these things for themselves before saying, "there will be new and old music for the game."

"Have you heard of the Cave Story beta," Tyrone Rodriguez, Producer, asked me. "You might have seen screenshots on the Internet, but nobody has ever played it. There’s a lot of areas in the game developed and designed he had made and music that nobody ever got to hear. We’re revisiting some of those things from the beta and seeing how much of that we can recreate and let people see. For instance, you might find an area you might find familiar from the WiiWare or DSiWare version, but there might be a new area within that area or a different version of that music."

CaVaYeRo

Little bits from Tyrone's young developers conference in Madrid:

- Working hard on Cave Story 3D. He isn’t afraid of loosing the “pixel art value”, since he understands that there’s other people who don’t like it, it feels outdated for them. “Now we have caves that go into the depth, and many more realistic elements, like trees. When you are in 3D, you have to be more literal, so we have things that we didn’t need before”.
- Tyrone wants a DKCR 3D version NOW, ‘cause he loves how Retro played with background/foreground during the gameplay. He’s also always talking about trying a driving game where you can move around the cockpit by moving your 3DS.

This game is going to take forever to get here...but I will wait patiently. I immediately thought about Driving Emotion Type S when reading the car game comment.

mclem

- Tyrone wants a DKCR 3D version NOW, ‘cause he loves how Retro played with background/foreground during the gameplay. He’s also always talking about trying a driving game where you can move around the cockpit by moving your 3DS.

This makes me think of the possibility of a Panzer Dragoon using a similar approach to Face Raiders. That could be awesome.

Emitan

He isn’t afraid of loosing the “pixel art value”, since he understands that there’s other people who don’t like it, it feels outdated for them.
Fuck those people :( Cave Story is a beautiful game. This game shouldn't be polygonal at all.

Billychu said:
Fuck those people :( Cave Story is a beautiful game. This game shouldn't be polygonal at all.
I always figured it would look nice if done in the same fashion as 3D Dot Game Heroes, with more numerous and smaller blocks.

Emitan

abstract alien said:
I always figured it would look nice if done in the same fashion as 3D Dot Game Heroes, with more numerous and smaller blocks.
That could work. But nothing is as good looking as sprites.

Billychu said:
That could work. But nothing is as good looking as sprites.
Yeah, you are right. Both sprite and polygon are much too different to actually replace one another, although when you blend the two powers together, you get some visually awesome things at times(DK of course). One thing I was wondering about was if it was possible to achieve a "reaching" depth with sprites as opposed to a "layered" one. Not that anything is wrong with layered, but its just a curiosity.

Top Bottom