• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceChem |OT| It's Not About Chemistry

19Kilo

What is SpaceChem?
SpaceChem is an obscenely addictive, design-based puzzle game about machine building and fake science.

Take on the role of a Reactor Engineer working for SpaceChem, the leading chemical synthesizer for frontier colonies. Construct elaborate factories to transform raw materials into valuable chemical products! Streamline your designs to meet production quotas and survive encounters with the sinister threats that plague SpaceChem.

Trailers
SpaceChem: An Introduction
SpaceChem, by Zachtronics Industries

Screenshots

2ed8epc.jpg

az9oon.jpg

mj4ves.jpg

2ngg87r.jpg

SpaceChem runs on the following platforms:
Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
Mac OS X (10.5 and above, Intel only)
Ubuntu (10.04 and above, via Debian package)
Linux (via manual install)

Demo can be found right here

Full game is $15

A free, future update will allow user-generated content creation and sharing, along with new reactor components.

EDIT: The update is out!
Also adds Steam achievements, friend leaderboards, TF2-themed puzzles, etc.

Now on Steam for $14.99

Download the Soundtrack for free

Reviews
I think we might have just received one of the year's best indie games in the first week of 2011.
(Quintin Smith, Rock Paper Shotgun)

...a thoroughly rewarding experience, with more 'holy $#@%!' moments than there are elements of the periodic table.
(Michael Rose, Indiegames.com)

7/8 at Out of Eight
89/100 at PCGamer
9/10 at Eurogamer
9.5/10 at Igromania
9/10 from Edge

My Take
I stumbled across the demo for this game a few days ago and was blown away. Such a smart game - it wasn't until after a few levels that I realized it's really a programming game at heart. Constructing a well made solution to these puzzles is akin to writing an elegant algorithm. I had to snatch up the full game immediately.

It isn't real chemistry or anything (thank god), just a really well made puzzler that gets very challenging. The game also features online score comparisons, a built-in youtube video uploader to share your solutions, a decent tutorial, nice music, plus it's multiplatform to boot.

I've haven't seen a single mention of this title on GAF (I searched!), so I thought I'd share the love...

epmode

I saw this on Eurogamer and Rock Paper Shotgun. I like what I've played of the demo and I'd probably bite if it was on Steam.

19Kilo

Sweet! $14.99 seems to be the regular price too. Hopefully those of us that have already bought it will be able to register it on Steam soon.

19Kilo

29lk2dz.jpg

Good news everyone!

If you purchased from the ZI store in the past, you can now use the same serial to register SpaceChem on Steam. Nice.

The Mac demo doesn't launch properly for me when I try to launch it... I had the same problem with the Diamond Dan demo earlier this year, but that eventually got fixed with a patch...

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Wow, hardly any replies for such a great game. And by "great", I mean GotY-material. Few games are able to give me such a great feeling of satisfaction. When you finish one of its puzzles and stare at your solution being executed, it's like you've just performed some kind of magic ritual. It makes you feel like you are the master of the universe and that there are no limits to your power.

Oh, and the story, the music, the way highscores are implemented and the ability to upload a solution to Youtube are all excellent as well. This is a game you will fall in love with if you've got any interest in puzzle games.

markot

Banned
15 bucks is too much these days... I dunno, I think mobile gaming is making me even more of a cheapskate...

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Well, it depends on how you measure value. What I can vouch for is that the game offers hours upon hours of engaging puzzles, even without going for efficient solutions. I lose all sense of time while playing it, but I think that I might have played for 30-40 hours, and still have the last two worlds and several optional puzzles to complete. Admittedly, I have hit a brick wall at the beginning of world 8, but I still intend to return to it and finish the game.

Also, what needs stressing is that the problems in this game do not force you to reconstruct the solution that the developer had in mind. Simply compare your solution to the ones others have (which, keeping the easy-to-use Youtube feature in mind, shouldn't be a problem), and you wil lfind that not one solution is exactly the same, even though some might share the same approach.

One simple advice: try the demo. I believe it contains a fair bit of content (several hours of play) and since it does not take long for the puzzles to become interesting, it should already invoke that feeling of being the greatest human ever born. Until you hit your limit that is.

mclem

Is this the same guy as did "The Codex of Alchemical Engineering"? It looks rather similar. If it is, then Codex (as a free flash game) may work as a servicable demo of the sort of thing you'd be after.

A similar 'physical programming' flash game that I fell in love with a little while ago is Manufactoria.

19Kilo

mclem said:
Is this the same guy as did "The Codex of Alchemical Engineering"? It looks rather similar. If it is, then Codex (as a free flash game) may work as a servicable demo of the sort of thing you'd be after.

A similar 'physical programming' flash game that I fell in love with a little while ago is Manufactoria.

Yes, this is the same guy. He's got a few other games on the Zachtronics Industries site.

larvi

Looks a little like a grown up version of Super Solvers: Gizmos and Gadgets. I used to love that game. Will have to check out the demo

Note that the demo's tutorial sucks. Level 3 forces you to figure out a bunch of stuff on your own, and then level 4 explains everything you just had to figure out. It's almost like the levels got switched. But if you can persevere past that then it gets really good.

19Kilo

Primate Ryan said:
It's also worth having a look at the introduction trailer.

It succinctly explains the idea behind the game and, as opposed to the other trailer, it isn't completely incomprehensible to those who haven't played the game yet.

I hadn't seen the new trailer yet, thanks. Definitely helps explain it better to newcomers - I've added it to the OP.

19Kilo

I'm looking forward to the ResearchNet update:
Introducing ResearchNet, the official intergalactic-intranet used by SpaceChem for sharing reaction engineering research!

Arriving in the form of a free, not-yet-dated update for SpaceChem, ResearchNet will allow you to create your own research assignments, share them with friends, and submit them to the Journal of Reaction Engineering, an in-game “publication” featuring the best assignments made by both SpaceChem engineers (you guys) and Zachtronics Industries designers (me).

When creating a custom research assignment, you will be able to specify exactly what is inside of the reactor, including two new reactor components – the FISSION LASER and the QUANTUM TUNNEL.

The FISSION LASER is similar to the fusion laser, but allows you to split an atom in half to form two new atoms.

The QUANTUM TUNNEL consists of two 1×1 components that can be relocated and, when activated, will de-bond and swap the two atoms located on each end.

This should really increase the longevity of the game (as if it needs it).

After reading the glowing review on Eurogamer some time ago, I saw this on Steam today and picked it up.

$15 might seem steep because the game doesn't look like much and isn't particularly welcoming but I've just sunk 2 hours in it and it's been really great so far.

Chemistry seems to be a backdrop and it's mostly about automatons, the game isn't punishing at all, it's mostly about experimenting and grasping the mechanics by yourself, which can be hard but very rewarding once you figure it out.

Everyone should at least grab the demo.

Dina

Primate Ryan said:
Wow, hardly any replies for such a great game. And by "great", I mean GotY-material. Few games are able to give me such a great feeling of satisfaction. When you finish one of its puzzles and stare at your solution being executed, it's like you've just performed some kind of magic ritual. It makes you feel like you are the master of the universe and that there are no limits to your power.

Oh, and the story, the music, the way highscores are implemented and the ability to upload a solution to Youtube are all excellent as well. This is a game you will fall in love with if you've got any interest in puzzle games.

Personal: hey, you!

On a general note, this game pulls me in and out at the same time. Will try the Steam demo soon, very soon.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Game sounds really interesting, I'm gonna have to take a look at it. Sad that indie games aren't really getting attention too much on NeoGAF anymore :(

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'm intrigued by this game. How hard do the levels get? I tend to find that a lot of puzzle games gradually increase in difficulty until they're no longer fun for me.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Chairman Yang said:
I'm intrigued by this game. How hard do the levels get? I tend to find that a lot of puzzle games gradually increase in difficulty until they're no longer fun for me.

It's likely you'll hit a wall (I did at least, in world 8 out of 9). However, by that time you'll have invested hours into the game and finishing a puzzle is a great reward in itself. Just try the demo to get a pretty decent idea of what to expect. It's not one of those short here's-one-tutorial-level-and-the first-real-level-that-only-lasts-five-minutes demo, so it should suffice as a decent representation of what to expect.

19Kilo

Primate Ryan said:
It's likely you'll hit a wall (I did at least, in world 8 out of 9). However, by that time you'll have invested hours into the game and finishing a puzzle is a great reward in itself. Just try the demo to get a pretty decent idea of what to expect. It's not one of those short here's-one-tutorial-level-and-the first-real-level-that-only-lasts-five-minutes demo, so it should suffice as a decent representation of what to expect.

Also, with user-generated content coming soon hitting that wall will be much less of an issue.

Dina

Tried the demo, first 9 levels or so.

It's something else, I'll say that much. It is pretty daunting and not everything is explained right away, but that is the joy of things. Usually they explain a new function pretty well, but that new function can be implemented in a few ways and they don't explain all the new few ways. So there is some tinkering to be done.

But I like it a lot. It's a real challenge, yet doesn't feel cheap or old.

I said in the Steam thread I was going to buy this... but then I forgot. I showed it to one of my Chem professors and he really liked it and I think he bought it after he posted it on Facebook. I'll probably buy it tonight.

Just to make sure, I can buy it from their site and they get all the money and I still get a steam key right?

Once I get a half decent computer, I will definitely check this out. From what I gather, it looks perfect for the DS, or maybe even iOS or Android.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
SteveWinwood said:
I said in the Steam thread I was going to buy this... but then I forgot. I showed it to one of my Chem professors and he really liked it and I think he bought it after he posted it on Facebook. I'll probably buy it tonight.

Just to make sure, I can buy it from their site and they get all the money and I still get a steam key right?

Yes, you can enter your key in Steam.

Dina said:
It's something else, I'll say that much. It is pretty daunting and not everything is explained right away, but that is the joy of things. Usually they explain a new function pretty well, but that new function can be implemented in a few ways and they don't explain all the new few ways. So there is some tinkering to be done.

Yeah, you won't really get a grip on all the possibilities until much later, but that is part of the appeal. Although I must admit that some things should be explained better or at least more expansively.

Oh, and if you downloaded the game, you already have the soundtrack on your drive in OGG format.

mclem

Oh dear.

So I picked this up last night. Suffice to say, I like it, but I have a problem with it.

I'm obsessed with refinement.

I'm only just out of the first world after over an hour of play. Because I have no trouble creating a *solution*, but then I just can't *stop*. Bring in a second WALDO, double the speed of working. Manage syncing without using sync instructions, save a few cycles.

Getting a solution that lies well to the left of the centre of the bell curve is an awesome feeling. Realising that there are solutions further left of that is infuriating. And just drives me right back into looking at it yet closer.

When I found out you can move the WALDO start points I had to go back and replay all the levels again just to see if I could streamline things further knowing that.

Yes, I like it. As interesting as Codex was, but without the fiddliness that that had with getting the robot arms to do exactly what you intended.

19Kilo said:
What is SpaceChem?

It isn't real chemistry or anything (thank god)....

Damn, thought I'd finally found a use for my PhD.

This does look very good and the reviews have been excellent (88% in PCG UK), so I'll pick it up over the weekend.

Casp0r

Banned
This is a really cool game, however is anyone not enjoying the defense levels that much? They just seem a bit iffy and could do with better instructions.

Plus it would be nice if you could have greater control over where the atoms enter the grid.

Evlar

Banned
mclem said:
Oh dear.

So I picked this up last night. Suffice to say, I like it, but I have a problem with it.

I'm obsessed with refinement.

I'm only just out of the first world after over an hour of play. Because I have no trouble creating a *solution*, but then I just can't *stop*. Bring in a second WALDO, double the speed of working. Manage syncing without using sync instructions, save a few cycles.

Getting a solution that lies well to the left of the centre of the bell curve is an awesome feeling. Realising that there are solutions further left of that is infuriating. And just drives me right back into looking at it yet closer.

When I found out you can move the WALDO start points I had to go back and replay all the levels again just to see if I could streamline things further knowing that.

Yes, I like it. As interesting as Codex was, but without the fiddliness that that had with getting the robot arms to do exactly what you intended.
It only gets worse. Right now I'm at the point the game gives you variable input problems (your plant is supplied with several different possible molecules at random: though you know roughly the ratios of each you won't know which you'll get until the waldo crosses an "In" command). For instance, an atmospheric pump might provide you with 25% triple-bonded N2 and 75% O2 in the same pipe. You're required to produce nitric oxide (double-bond NO). Since you don't know precisely what order the molecules will be sent to you, your plant must be able to respond to various combinations. (What if it gives you three O2s and then an N2? What if it gives you two N2s back to back? etc.) The game provides you with a tool to recognize the nature of a single atom that can be used to change the path of a waldo.

In this particular problem you were allowed to use three total reactors... But it CAN be done with just one (very complex) reactor. Took me more than an hour. Watching the final, working, well-oiled machine punch out nitric oxide is absurdly satisfying (and trying to explain the achievement to someone who hasn't played the game is impossible).

Oh boy, if this is anything like an old old game called Factory that I played to death on the Mac in the early 1990's, I will be a happy happy boy. Downloading demo now.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Evlar said:
In this particular problem you were allowed to use three total reactors... But it CAN be done with just one (very complex) reactor. Took me more than an hour. Watching the final, working, well-oiled machine punch out nitric oxide is absurdly satisfying (and trying to explain the achievement to someone who hasn't played the game is impossible).

Yes! It's even more satisfying than watching a stream of Meat Boys jumping through a particularly difficult level after you finally made it. And it's so frustrating that it is just not possible to share this with somebody who hasn't played the game. This didn't stop me from sending screenshots and videos to those damned laymen, but after the tenth "wtf" I finally grew tired of it and abandoned my efforts.

man im glad I took a chance and got this, I just completed the third tutorial and the lightbulb just went off in my head about how it works.... goddamn its gonna be addicting....

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
taoofjord said:
I'm hoping for an iOS release, perhaps that's too unlikely though...

I'm not entirely sure since I don't have any iPlatforms (yet), but wouldn't it be unplayable on anything but the iPad? I can't imagine placing all the arrows and instructions on a small screen without getting frustrated (besides missing the shortcuts on the keyboard, which are quite handy for quick circuit building).

And I'm glad that more people seem to be delving into it. It's also striking that I haven't encountered a single negative impression yet, which speaks for the quality of the game.

markot said:
Demo sucks >_< im already stuck on the third thingy, the tutorial isnt very good...
It was a little annoying right off how the game didn't really TELL you directly what you're supposed to be doing, all it had was a couple of half-assed mechanic explanations, while I think all it really needed to make it easier is a quick text screen with a short explanation of what your mission is in the game, since it already takes a while just to get accustomed to the interface.

What you are trying to do in the game, or at least what is the extent of the single screen levels, is take stuff from input to output. How the elements spawn at input and how they should arrive on output are described to the left of input and to the right of output. It's important to note on that third one, if you look at the icons for red and blue, that red can only initiate input for alpha and blue only for beta specifically, and similarly for output. Also, you can move the start location and can change the starting direction of the lines immediatly with the arrows.

markot

Banned
I get it going, but I get to like 4/10 in each and it fails for some reason... and I dont know why >.< there is no collision...

Top Bottom