• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me History books

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be honest, my education within the History subject is laughably bad. This brings in difficulty for me when reading books by those authors such as Christopher Hitchens, where every other sentence has a reference to something foreign to me. I'm hoping to fix this, but I'm not sure where to begin. There's too many subjects for me to start with, and I don't know what's trustworthy to read. Since History is such a corrupted subject, I'm afraid to just buy ones I'm not familiar with on Amazon.

Could really use some suggestions of good books any of you have read, about any major event or turning point in History, or even ones we all have learned about before, but never got the "full story". I'd like to read about all different countries, so I suppose the list could be quite long, but I'll read anything at this point just to get better educated than I am now.

Any links would be appreciated.

History of Freedom of Thought

41xZOX728uL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Trurl

Banned
I recently finished the Victorian Internet and recommend it.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0802716040/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but it's a fun quick read, focuses on something important that most history classes don't give nearly enough time, and unlike many historical genres (in particular biography) didn't give me the depressed feeling that comes from the "decline and fall" section that tends to pop up at the end of history books.

ngower

Religions of the Silk Road - Richard Foltz
The Tragedy of Great Power Politics - John J. Mearsheimer
Voices of Freedom Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 - Eric Foner (collection of primary sources, good stepping stone into a myriad of American historical topics)

I'm not really sure how to recommend anything, but those are pretty good topical books from what I've read. The third recommendation is a pretty good all-encompassing insight into American history through the ages, but it would be nice to have something accompanying it for contextual analysis.

[EDIT] OH! I'll also say, check out:

The Unknown Cultural Revolution - Dongping Han

I'm in one of his classes and was an advisee, but he's a bit of a character. Incredible insight into Maoist China, a bit biased undoubtedly, but he provides a perspective few are willing to give (namely that Mao's China was not bad for the Chinese, and it was western interests that it harmed the most).

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I dunno about recommending certain books but here is my current load Im reading for school:

University of Chicago Readings in Western Civilization, Volume 7: The Old Regime and the French Revolution
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0226069508/?tag=neogaf0e-20

University of Chicago Readings in Western Civilization, Volume 9: Twentieth-Century Europe
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0226069540/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Retail Revolution: How Wal-Mart Created a Brave New World of Business
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312429681/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Adam Smith and the Origins of American Enterprise: How the Founding Fathers Turned to a Great Economist's Writings and Created the American Economy
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312325762/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Use and Abuse of History
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1453753389/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Evolution of American Urban Society
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0131898248/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Robber Barons
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1412811252/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Plus other books, but business history and European enlightenment philosophy history is boring

Reading for fun, havnt started but recommended from a teacher, warning they are looong:
The Coming of the Third Reich
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0143034693/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Third Reich in Power
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0143037900/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Third Reich at War
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0143116711/?tag=neogaf0e-20

After Tamerlane: The Global History of Empire since 1405 (John Darwin)
Postwar: A History of Europe since 1945 (Tony Judt)
God's Chinese Son: The Taiping Heavenly Kingdom of Hong Xiuquan (Jonathan D. Spence)

You can find them on Amazon.

The first two are probably more up your alley since it seems you seek thematic histories and both are just fantastically readable and relevant starting points.

If you want to read about a cool specific event, I suggest the third. It's about a guy who starts the deadliest insurrection in history at around the same time as our own Civil War. The title is also quite literal; his claim to legitimacy was being the brother of Jesus.

Proxy

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shire. While not a strictly scholarly tome it's an easy and good read. I would also recommend Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

You might have to be a bit more specific with your suggestions. Do you mean world history, US history, or something else? Regardless, I'm always been really interested in WWII, so my suggestions would all tend to lean towards that certain point in history, especially towards the German side of things.

A book that I would suggest would be The Rise and the Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer. It's not a quick read by any stretch of the imagination (it's over 1000 pages!), but it's incredibly interesting to read about the creation of the Nazi Party and how they managed to gain power and influence in Germany.

Another good book about Germany during WWII is Hitler's Scientists. This book describes the amazing technological developments that Nazi Germany was able to create, and how they were on the forefront of technology.

Both are really interesting novels (to me at least!). If you're a WWII buff at all I suggest you check them out.

Summary: Read some WWII books.

Salazar

Corran Horn said:
I can only read Nietzsche, Mill, Marx, etc for so long lol.

I imagined you were talking about Locke, Shaftesbury, Hume, Rousseau, Diderot et al. That's why I got mad.

Summary Man, get a grip.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Salazar said:
I imagined you were talking about Locke, Shaftesbury, Hume, Rousseau, Diderot et al. That's why I got mad.

Summary Man, get a grip.
Well we read those too. But our teacher was very much leaning one way lol.

Eric Hobsbawm general history books are good, if you want a more critic view (sometime a little biased) in the intervention of USA in Latin America read Open Veins of Latin America by Eduardo Galeano.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
team-of-rivals.jpg

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin

A riveting book about an iconic leader and a trying time in American history. It's long, detailed, well-written, easy to read, and informative; Goodwin has a sixth sense unique amongst academics for good storytelling. It also takes a capacious view of Lincoln's cabinet and focuses on people who you've probably only heard in passing, turning them into personalities nearly as interesting as Lincoln himself.

EDIT: I feel like I'm auditioning to become Goodwin's publicist.

sikkinixx

5170RHkgciL.jpg

While it's old, and disputed as all hell as studies have progressed (his views on Christianity are... colourful and his thoughts of Byzantium are well wrong) Gibbon is just delightful to read. I've only ever read the abridged version (which is 1000+ pages) much to my guilt.

A bit hardcore but it's fun. New historians, while maybe better at actually being historians, tend to be fairly clinical in their writing. I know that's how it has been ground into me during my University years. Old historians, as bias and self-serving as many of them were, feel much more like stories.

dschalter

everything:

the cartoon history of the universe-larry gonick:

just an incredible series, starting with the big bang and going to the present in five books. the format is great and the amount of info is ridiculous. great for either beginners or people who already appreciate history

will durant (+ariel for some)-the story of civilization:

truly epic series that covers history up to the time of napoleon. the number of volumes and their length may seem intimidating, but all of the books in the series are eminently readable and enjoyable on their own merits (the earlier ones slight more so).

WWII

the rise and fall of the third reich-mentioned by an earlier poster, but have to re-emphasize it. just an incredible book. outdated and inaccurate to be sure, but also completely indispensable.

winston churchill-the second world war:

has a ton of flaws and failings, but quite comprehensive (when it comes to the parts of the war the UK was involved in that is!) and provides pretty good insight into churchill's own views (if you read between the lines at least)

wwi

dreadnought-robert massie:

pretty long, but you will not be able to put it down. the story of how germany and britain became enemies. narrow and broad in scope at the same time

niall ferguson-the pity of war:

actually no, don't read this. niall ferguson is a scumbag and this book is incredibly awful.

china

jonathan spence-the search for modern china:

a rather pessimistic look at the last 400 years or so of chinese history; indispensable and troubling. 20th century covered a bit weakly perhaps.

michael nylan+thomas wilson-the lives of confucius:

a nice short look at a very famous and very misunderstood historical figure. maybe hard to understand at times, but also very funny and enjoyable.

"africa"

adam hochschild-king leopold's ghost:

i would call this more of a history thriller tragedy than anything else. an incisive look at the twin evils of colonialism and personal rule.

japan

the making of modern japan-thorough look at the development of japan over the last 400 years. not very exciting, but very informative.

europe:

tony judt-postwar:

already mentioned, you should definitely read this.

paul kennedy-the rise and fall of the great powers:

has lots of interesting info and provides great insight into the western view of japan at the time. the "cunning japanese" are on the rise!

A bit hardcore but it's fun. New historians, while maybe better at actually being historians, tend to be fairly clinical in their writing. I know that's how it has been ground into me during my University years. Old historians, as bias and self-serving as many of them were, feel much more like stories.

yeah, this is true even when you look at things more recently. when you look at the development of the historiography of a certain subject, you often find yourself starting with exciting books and ending with dry ones.

These two are on extremely specific topics, but are very informative and myth-shattering, and I have found them to be among the best history books I have read.

EQPxL.jpg

Zen at War

A history of Zen Buddhism during the time of the Empire of Japan, about how the institutions and many of the most famous thinkers were ardent supporters of Japanese imperialism and nationalism.

Buddhism and Science

This book covers several related topics concerning the evolution of how Buddhism was both viewed by and presented to the West in the 19th and 20th centuries, casting light on the more general topic of the encounter between east and west. One topic is how the notion of Buddhism as a rational dogma-free religion was created in Europe and spread from there to Asia. A chapter about the relationship between Buddhism and Aryan racial theories makes obvious the origins of the conflict between the Tamils and Sinhalese in Sri Lanka, though without saying so explicitly.

A supposed classic I haven't gotten around to reading yet is Wedgwood's The Thirty Years War.

This might sound odd, but one way to start would be to bring up any subject that appeals to you on Wikipedia and start following links that branch off from that topic. You never know where the hell you might end up, and at the very least you'll find some areas where you want to delve into more detail. I've got the same desire to bone up on my history but it can be an overwhelming prospect at times.

Am I the only weird one that likes to read wikipedia like a universal book sometimes?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
how "historical" and how "historical opinion/theory" are you looking for?

this one entertained me hardcore. and i think it poses some interesting, if very controversial, ideas.

blood-rites-origins-history-passions-war-barbara-ehrenreich-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

In this ambitious work, Barbara Ehrenreich offers a daring explanation for humans' propensity to wage war. Rather than approach the subject from a physiological perspective, pinpointing instinct or innate aggressiveness as the violent culprit, she reaches back to primitive man's fear of predators and the anxieties associated with life in the food chain. To deal with the reality of living as prey, she argues that blood rites were created to dramatize and validate the life-and-death struggle. Jumping ahead to the modern age, Ehrenreich brands nationalism a more sophisticated form of blood ritual, a phenomenon that conjures similar fears of predation, whether in the form of lost territory or the more extreme ethnic cleansing. Blood Rites: Origins and History of the Passions of War may not offer a cure for human aggression, but the author does present a convincing argument for the difficulties associated with achieving peace.

Deku

Banned
NullPointer said:
Oh hell yes. I'd also consider it the unofficial guide to playing the Civilization games.
What really struck me was how accurately Civ games simulate his assertions. Where effectively, the treatise to most people's games comes down to 2 words

'Starting Location'

This was very true in Civ3 when the book first came out. Since then, Successive games have made the starting location less powerful. But still, it's pretty amazing.

On topic:

41Y3wnDAWpL._SS500_.jpg

41xVtPa1rAL._SS500_.jpg

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
If you're interested in the Civil War, please believe me now that the time you need to invest in this set, by Shelby Foote:

The Civil War: A Narrative

It is a singularly extraordinary labor of love. Foote worked on grants for 20 years to complete the 3000 page collection. Incredibly, it never wanders, nor does it stagnate. It's worth your time investment. I've probably read through it since I was a teenager (47 now) about 15 times.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
David Chidester's Shots in the Street is a really interesting look at the effect religion and violence had upon the end of apartheid. Really, really good book. Here's Amazon's blurb:

From Publishers Weekly
In Chidester's persuasive analysis, South Africa's apartheid system of racist separation and domination functions much like a religion sustained by self-perpetuating rituals, symbols and myths. Torture of black prisoners, a frequent occurrence that is officially denied, serves as a "state ritual" to purify the body politic and "bestow divine power" on the white overlords. The book also examines the religious underpinnings of the violent ideology of the paramilitary South African Defense Force. A historian of religion who teaches at the University of Cape Town, Chidester extends his analysis to violence committed by black South Africans. The African National Congress, in his view, has romanticized violence as a means of sudden, apocalyptic redemption. In the murder of blacks by other blacks, the author sees ritual scapegoating at work. This powerful and unsettling study illuminates the dynamics of reaction and rebellion in South Africa.

I'd also recommend that you read collections of primary documents (especially letters) on whatever events you're interested in (assuming such a collection exists). Nothing else compares to it for getting a feel for the mood of the times.

Zaphod

Seda said:
If you're American, you should read A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.

While it is obviously written with a certain perspective bias, I think it is a very well written history of the US from the common man's point of view. It does a very good job of telling the story of the United States using original sources that bring to life the history in a real personal way.

Corran Horn said:
Reading for fun, havnt started but recommended from a teacher, warning they are looong:
The Coming of the Third Reich
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0143034693/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Third Reich in Power
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0143037900/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Third Reich at War
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0143116711/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I came into this thread to post these. They are AMAZING.

Also:

The Conquest of Paradise - Kirkpatrick Sale

The Epic of Latin America - John A. Crow

dschalter

zinn is not very good. historians should at least try to be accurate. some interesting perspectives sure, but nothing of real substance. and niall ferguson, ugh.

I think a good starting point is 'The New Penguin History of The World' by J.M. Roberts.

It covers a broad range of history from which you can then decide what area in particular you want to focus on.

Only $26 US

SolKane

I'm seconding the Durant, Shelby Foote, Howard Zinn and Barbara Tuchman recommendations. What period of history are you interested in exactly?

Aristion said:
Confessions by St. Augustine is the first Western autobiography, and he is one of the most influential figures in Western history. To know Augustine is to know ecclesiastical/church history.

I agree that it's a monumental and influential work, but you really need some grounding in the text of the Bible and Platonic philosophy. I think a novice would be really overwhelmed by his work. But Augustine has a lot of amazing things to say about a variety of subjects, and his thoughts on space and time were quite modern.

SolKane said:
I'm seconding the Durant, Shelby Foote, Howard Zinn and Barbara Tuchman recommendations. What period of history are you interested in exactly?

I suppose I just want a very rounded and realistic view of World History over a broad period, to the point where I'm not entirely lost in conversation or when reading literature if I happen to be thrown into the subject. I read a lot of books, I want to sharpen up overall. Oftentimes I'll just pick a random subject and research it, for example: Athenian Imperialism, or something else I stumbled across that was entirely unknown to me.

Ducarmel

Last history book I enjoyed was Harlem: The Making of a Ghetto : Negro New York, 1890-1930 byGilbert Osofsky. Loved it!

dr70m.jpg

ToxicAdam

I love Guns, Germs and Steel as much as the next guy, but I find the writing style VERY dry and sometimes stale. Not sure I would recommend it to a neophyte.

I would rather recommend a newbie Stephen Ambrose books. Pick any one on WWII, Lewis and Clark or the Transcontinental Railroad. All are very interesting and easy to pick up and read.

Another great book is The Year 1000: What life was like at the turn of the First Millenium. Again, very easy and fun to read.

Salazar

Devil Theory said:
I suppose I just want a very rounded and realistic view of World History over a broad period.

Peter Watson's A Terrible Beauty: The People and Ideas that Shaped the Modern Mind is frightfully good. Possibly quite cheap now, too. It's probably the most successful generalist intellectual history (with respect to the 20th century) I've come across, and it has the surprising merit of not coming across as a disguised encyclopaedia.

Probably the funnest academic book I have read recently was this:

mess-they-made-middle-east-after-iraq-gwynne-dyer-paperback-cover-art.jpg

I am reading this for a history class at the moment and it is excellent:

510T6pyIK0L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

And not a hard read, despite being quite academic.

In terms of primary sources, I can't recommend the travels of Ibn Batutta enough. He makes Marco Polo look like a kontiki tourist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom