• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix will open a new studio in Canada

Kifimbo

French article (credible newspaper): http://lapresseaffaires.cyberpresse...rrait-ouvrir-un-nouveau-studio-a-montreal.php

Basically, Square Enix wants to open a new studio in Canada. Three cities are studied: Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver. The director of Eidos Montreal, Stéphane d'Astous, is talking with local government to get tax incentives and/or subsidies. In the US, Raleigh, Atlanta and Orlando were also considered but dropped. Expect a decision in May.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
It's always nice to see further expansion to hire more game developers. This is always good news to hear.

But they already have a studio in Montreal... (that being said with the tax breaks there another one makes sense over the other locations...)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Great, so what awesome game will our tax dollars fund next?
And don't they already have Eidos in Montreal? That pretty much means Vancouver is the only choice.

Jex

Man, those tax discounts have really helped.

I hope you're paying attention, stupid UK politicians.

Kifimbo

SketchTheArtist said:
That'd be cool if they picked Montreal. We've got so much studios and diversified ones, it's a pretty bright future for the industry here.

The CEO of Ubisoft Montreal (Yannis Mallat) is saying the opposite. He thinks there is not enough talents in Montreal and the quality of games will suffer. According to him, too many studios, especially with Warner Bros. and THQ recently. Of course, he might be saying that because he doesn't want to lose more people (like Patrice Désilets).

But they already have a studio in Montreal... (that being said with the tax breaks there another one makes sense over the other locations...)

d'Astous is talking about a possible synergy with Eidos Montréal has an advantage for the city.

Takao

Banned
Doesn't Eidos have a Montreal studio already?

Doesn't make much sense to open another one there. I imagine GVA or GTA.

Slime

Banned
Cool. They should totally hire me.

It's really refreshing to see Canada get so much video game industry love lately.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Seems like they should concentrate on getting their Japanese studios up to speed instead, at least on the console side of things.

AFAiK this is why it's lucrative:

Quebec: Up to 37.5% of labor costs, other misc coverage. Govt owns a chunk of Ubi through a 3rd party.
Ontario: 25-40% of labor costs with vrious strings attached. $263m sweetheart deal for Ubisoft.
British Columbia: Up to 17.5% of labor costs. Few other perks as most of their attention is the film biz.
NB: 1m over 5 years for Longtail, not sure if that's a generic credit or specific package.
PEI: 25-30% of labor over 5 years.

Singapore offers a more lucrative package (free building, great labor cost coverage) and a source of junior staff due to Digipen SG but obviously has a much harder time attracting people due to the move.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
SketchTheArtist said:
That'd be cool if they picked Montreal. We've got so much studios and diversified ones, it's a pretty bright future for the industry here.

Or it's a boomtown for revolving-door factory production. But hey, I can't complain about the poutine.

Huff

Banned
ClosingADoor said:
Everyone going to Canada lately. Give Europe some new studios too :(

More like get the hell outta Europe. Haven't they been hit the hardest with closings/layoffs?

Meesh

BroHuffman said:
Why does it seem like Canada is the new hot spot for studios opening up? Tax discounts?
Because the women wear tight clothes and carry powerful hand guns...(?)

webrunner

Fernando Rocker said:
And not only that... they also get unlimited bagged milk!

I find bagged milk goes bad before the best before date, if i dont open it in time.

It sucks because its' twice as much milk for only a tiny bit more than a 2L carton.

YayVy.jpg

They will probably just set up in whichever city/province offers the best incentives. Ubisoft really got pampered here in Toronto so if something similar was offered then I'm sure they would come here.
Quebec is very aggressive with government handouts though so my guess would be Montreal.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kifimbo said:
d'Astous is talking about a possible synergy with Eidos Montréal has an advantage for the city.
I'm sure this is a silly question, but wouldn't it be cheaper to just add another team to Eidos Montreal rather than start up an entire new studio?

Unless it's a big dick thing and whoever they get to head up the new studio wants to be the one in charge.

Top Bottom