• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Square Enix to open new Western studio named 'Studio Onoma'

fermcr

Square Enix sold off Crystal Dynamics/Eidos Montreal/Square Enix Montreal with all their IP's for almost nothing... and now decide to create a new Western studio.

nakedgun-megafacepalm.gif

Someone at Square Enix deserves a raise... /s

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Wouldn't be surprised if this was to keep all their remaining western IP in-house from this point forward (Life is Strange primarily), as well as to create some successful new IP to help establish a new identity for Square Enix western productions.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Square Enix sold off Crystal Dynamics/Eidos Montreal/Square Enix Montreal with all their IP's for almost nothing... and now decide to create a new Western studio.
Thats gaming for ya.

When typical companies have rough patches, they'll fire people but not too often they'll dump the entire department and rehire to fill it back.

But in gaming, I guess the studio is so shit as a whole, it's a better corporate decision to gas them all (fire or sell off) and create a new studio from scratch.

Go figure.

Last edited:
If they produce JRPGs in traditional SE style, I'm all for it.

Just please hire better writers, preferably folk who can actually pen compelling dialogue instead of relying on potty mouth and the hotness of the lead female protagonist like in Forespoken.

oldergamer

LOL. How many times is square going to do this and sell off or close that studio 5 years later? they have repeatedly proven they cannot manage or work with offshore studios outside Japan. I know people that worked at Square studios 20 years ago, this is kind of surreal.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
If they produce JRPGs in traditional SE style, I'm all for it.

Just please hire better writers, preferably folk who can actually pen compelling dialogue instead of relying on potty mouth and the hotness of the lead female protagonist like in Forespoken.

SE sold off SE Montreal. This is an Embracer Group owned company now, and has nothing to do with SE.

Mr Hyde

Square Enix should ditch their Western game development aspirations and just focus on in house production.

Kadve

So Squenix actually has nothing to do with this? But then why was it filled by Newco which seems to to be a Squenix studio?

GHound

So Squenix actually has nothing to do with this? But then why was it filled by Newco which seems to to be a Squenix studio?
This would have been just before the acquisition was finalized. Square Enix Montreal was renamed prior to transferring ownership.

I don't think people realize the cost involved with running the studios they sold was inherently not worth it to Square Enix.

If the studios were extremely profitable over their relationship with Square Enix, they wouldn't have sold them for peanuts.

Starting a new low risk low baggage studio to work on existing western IP makes way more sense.

All people see on this forum is the name of the studio and the name of the IP associated with it and think that Square sold it to the first people they spoke to. They would have taken this to the market and received at least a few offers and this was the best they got.

Ultimately gamers value the Tomb Raider IP more than businesses probably did, which probably includes film studios.

Zok310

Banned

nakedgun-megafacepalm.gif

Someone at Square Enix deserves a raise... /s
Since they started nothing they have done makes sense. SE is literally the twilight zone.

Top Bottom