• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What were your fave PS2 games?

ronito

For me:

-Persona 4 Great cast. Fun mystery. Made me have hope for jRPGs again
-FFX haters be damned, it was a fun time
-Radiata Stories I say it's the Chrono Trigger of the PS2.
-Virtua Fighter 4: Evo Spent so many hours on this. I can get sunglasses for my monk? Awesome!
-Dragon Quest VIII Such an immersive game, perfect overworld.
-SotC Great "art" game
-Metal Gear Solid 3 The best Metal Gear Solid game.

Okami, MGS3, Soul Reaver 2 are personal favourites.

Okami is the best Zelda-style game I've ever played, a supremely imaginative, beautiful, passionate game. I love huge worlds with mysteries and madness, and the game delivered more than nearly any other game I've played.

Metal Gear Solid 3 perfects the Metal Gear series. Its an adventure of epic proportions, with some really wonderful mechanics. It was an absolute joy to experience.

Soul Reaver 2 is probably the best written, best acted videogame I've ever played. It also hit every single dial on my nostalgia-meter, allowing me to explore locations from the classic Blood Omen in superb detail.

Final Fantasy X-My favorite game in general. Just felt like a real adventure and the battle system is excellent. The world was so engrossing to me.

Metal Gear Solid 2-Still one of the most interesting games ever made.

Metal Gear Solid 3-The Best MGS.

Zone of the Enders 2-Hyper Fast Mech Action at it's best!

Capcom Vs SNK 2--The last great Capcom Fighter.

Devil May Cry 3-Simply the best action game ever!

Others:
Grand Theft Auto 3
Persona 3/4
Digital Devil Saga 2
Final Fantasy XII

we_love_katamari_frontcover_large_fi0uk2lYxtYDKmo.jpg

Persona 4 I still haven't completed this, but it is just amazing.
Final Fantsay X It's beautiful. I loved the world, and still enjoyed it greatly though it was linear.
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner

Off the top of my head my top five would probably look something like:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
God of War
Final Fantasy XII
Dragon Quest VIII
Shadow of the Colossus

Kyoufu

Monster Hunter 1 & 2 - My favourite Capcom franchise.

Final Fantasy X, XI, XII - I loved the shit out of these. The kind of quality you've come to expect from S-E back then.

Devil May Cry 1, 3SE - Best action games ever.

Valkryie Profile 2 - BEST JRPG OF THAT GENERATION

Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut - Best Tales game ever.

and so on. PS2 has too many amazing games to list.

dc89

FFX - Brilliant game in almost every way.
ICO - Art. Just pure art.
MGS3 - The best MGS to date (IMO of course).
Okami - Zelda for the PS2.

I will think of some more and post later!

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Street fighter anniversary
Devil may cry 3
SotC
Silent hill 2
Ico
monster hunter
jack and daxter
Yakuza 1 and 2
Silent hill 3
Persona 4
FFX
Kingdom Hearts
Mgs 2
Shinobi
Prince of persia
Devil may cry
Smackdown here comes the pain
GTA Vice city
So many I don't remember.

Truly the best library around.

Pachimari

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy always springs to mind first.

Pro Evolution Soccer 5 and Final Fantasy X are worthy mentions as well.

I liked MGS3: Snake Eater, Bully, Okami etc. as well.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
FF XII - Probably the only one of the old FF games I can stomach playing nowadays. Getting rid of those shitty random battles was the best thing ever.

Silent Hill 2 and 3 - How awesome? So awesome.

God of War 1 and 2 - Two of my all-time fave games. Blood, gore and violence, oh my!

Frequency
Amplitude
Katamari Damacy
SSX
SSX Tricky
Gran Turismo 4
Burnout 3
Prince of Persia - Sands of Time
Downhill Domination
Space Channel 5 Special Edition

spats

God of War 1
ZOE
MGS 2
MGS3
Yakuza
Final Fantasy X
Gran Turismo 3
Gran Turismo 4

There's so many good games on the system I still haven't played. :(

Katamari Damacy
We Love Katamari
VF4 Evo
Bujingai
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Golden Wind
The Rumble Fish
Hokuto no Ken <the Arc systems one>

EDIT: Duh, Beatmania IIDX

kswiston

I bought my PS2 the day Final Fantasy X was released. I also picked up Metal Gear Solid 2, and Gran Turismo 3 came bundled. By far the best initial lineup of games I have ever had for a system purchased within a year of launch.

Other highlights:

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - The only GTA game I really got into. A ton of fun when college buddies were over

Metal Gear Solid 3 - I agree that this was the high point of the series

Final Fantasy XII - The story was weak in the middle, and the game borrowed a lot from Star Wars, but I loved everything else.

Persona 4 - All the SMT games were good, but this was my favourite of the bunch

Moofers

I'm just going to name the ones that haven't been named already:

Rule of Rose
Haunting Ground
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
SSX (the first is still the best!)
Tomb Raider: Anniversary

There's a ton more, but I think they'll be named a bunch in future posts, and a lot of them were multi-platform.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
-Metal Gear Solid 3, best fucking game ever
-Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition, best fucking action game ever
-Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, best GTA game ever
-Shadow of the Colossus: best boss rush mode ever

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
The crème de la crème for me are:

Gitaroo Man
Guilty Gear X2 Accent Core Plus
Final Fantasy X International
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence
Shadow of the Colossus
Ico
Xenosaga Episode III

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's has a great library, but Metal Gear Solid 2&3 are the big ones for me. Two goddamn masterpieces. I still have my essential collection, as soon as I pick up a new controller it'll be time for another replay.

My runner up would be Sly Cooper 1&2. They're probably my favorite 3D platformers that haven't been made by Nintendo. Fun platformers with tight controls and pretty graphics.

jackb2424

Banned
I loved the Xenosaga series. Metal Gear Solid 2, and 3 were on a whole other level of gaming. Final Fantasy 10 was a masterpiece. Ico, God of War, even Kingdom Hearts. I miss the old days of gaming.

54-46!

Top 10, one game per franchise:

- Burnout 3: Takedown
- Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
- God of War II
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- Katamari Damacy
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
- Okami
- Resident Evil 4
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

Devil May Cry 3, Persona 4, SMT: Nocturne, Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner, Silent Hill 2, and Okami.

Edit: Resident Evil 4 would be #1 but I played the Gamecube version.

Zwei

-Every Grand Theft Auto game (yes, even the 'Stories' entries)
-Shadow of the Colossus
-Xenosaga I-III
-Dragon Quest VIII
-Madden 2001

Jhoan

God Hand- best 25 bucks I spent on the PS2. I would have paid 50 bucks when it first came out and would never regret it. I love the hell out of that game and it's probably the best beat-em-up game ever in terms of customization; no other beat-em-up game comes close to it. My style is impetuous!
Shadow Hearts- I liked the surrealism mixed with fantasy and the Judgment Ring system was cool. I have SH2, but it's in my backlog.
Bully- A surprisingly refreshing and original game from R* despite the recycled story of betrayal and rising to the top. The music was great and the environments were awesome, not to mention that giving a poor sap the swirly never got old.
Yakuza 1 and 2- If God Hand is king of the over-the-top, super deep, tongue-in-cheek beat-em-up, The Yakuza series is the king of the realistic RPG style beat-em-up. Great story, satisfying combat, tons of stuff to do and collect and it's set in Japan; good stuff.
Ratchet and Clank- Great game; open environment, funny humor. Going Commando built up on it by adding an RPG style system, but different VA which disappointed me, but it was good. Never played Up Your Arsenal.
Kingdom Hearts- I loved the open environments and the colorful world, so it was pretty damn good, but the KH2 went crazy with the story and it was a hell of a lot more linear game than KH1 like ME1-->ME2 changes. The Final Fantasy characters were kind of shoehorned into the games.
Dragon Quest 8: Journey of The Cursed King- I need to find my copy! I only sunk in about 36 hours or so and I was only 1/4 done with the game but the VA was pretty awesome and the characters were charming, especially King Trode and Yangus. Plus the music in that game is fantastic as are the environments.
The GTA series- It set the standard for open games. My favorite game of the series was San Andreas because of the huge amount of stuff to do and the massive enviroments are relaxing to get lost in.
Persona 3- I never played FES, so I can't say, but who knew that a Sim mixed with an RPG could be so good. I loved spending time with people and building social links. Plus the combat was pretty good as was the plot.
Hitman: Blood Money- I loved the hell out of the way you could approach the missions, eventually borrowed the 360 version from a friend and got 1000/1000 and the New Orleans level was amazing at the time with all the amounts of NPCs walking around. Crazy good game.
MGS3: Subsistence- Good game, very sad ending but it was good. Like Hitman, there were a variety of ways to approach levels so that was good and the bosses as always were crazy over the top but good especially The End.
MGS2: Substance- I got around to playing it circa 7 years after it came it with The Essential Collection, but I found it to be good and I loved the themes and the messages that it sent out plus the last part of the game. Plus as a person who literally lives right next to the George Washington Bridge, it was surprising and nice to finally see it in a game (although it later appeared in GTA4 as the Hickey Bridge, but that sort of doesn't count).

That's it for now.

This thread again? Jak 2 is clearly the best game on PS2, although Okami, Klonoa 2, Ico, Disgaea and Dragon Quest VIII are up there as well.

Speevy

Banned
-ICO
-Shadow of the Colossus
-Dragon Quest 8
-Dark Cloud 2
-Culdcept
-Devil May Cry 3
-Katamari Damacy
-Bombastic
-God of War
-Sly 2 (that's right, 2 haters) Band of Thieves

Murrah

Banned
I'm glad FFX is getting a lot of love in here - I'm used to it getting a lot of hate, but aside from the linearity and a few moments of spotty voice acting, those 100+ hours were some of the best I've ever spent on a game

Other highlights for me:

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3
Katamari Damacy
Virtua Fighter 4
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory
Shadow of the Colossus
Grand Theft Auto Trilogy
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando

Resident Evil 4 and Okami would be on here but I only played the Wii versions

Top Bottom