• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

anime suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

george_us

Not sure if this is to your tastes or not but Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is amazing.

The first three volumes are out now, the 4th comes out April 5th while there isn't a release date for the 5th volume.

Go_Ly_Dow

george_us said:
Not sure if this is to your tastes or not but Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is amazing.

The first three volumes are out now, the 4th comes out April 5th while there isn't a release date for the 5th volume.

I'll get behind this recommendation as well. Great stuff.

wwm0nkey

RahXephon, that is all

ath1i.jpg

george_us said:

Yeah we saw that one (me and the wife). Was one of the best I have ever watched. I also liked the last exile, not sure if you have seen that one.

Also Elfen laid was the ish.

Takao

Banned
watch tweeny witches

If you get past the character designs the show actually is pretty good.

Came in hoping to see Samurai Champloo in the OP. You have pleased me.

The Top 50 list Dresden posted contains some great anime. You should start there.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Full Metal Alchemist or "Now and Then, Here and There"

"Now and Then, Here and There" is really, really good. Despite the art design, it's has very serious story. It's also only 11 episodes, so it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Satch

Banned
tearsofash said:
Wow, somebody else in the world who's seen this one.

OP, watch Cowboy Bebop. Paprika, too. Paprika is Inception before Inception was Inception.

Michiko to Hatchin would be another good one.

Slavik81

Mushishi.

I had a few great nights sitting down with a beer and a nice filling dinner, watching Mushishi. An awesome series essentially composed of well-paced Japanese folk stories.

vlcsnap-2010-12-06-21h49m37s104.png

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 1st and 2nd Gigs.

If you want something like Samurai Champloo, then get Cowboy Bebop if you haven't seen it yet. It's made by the same director.

DarkKyo

Like others here I can't recommend Michiko to Hatchin enough!! I love it for the same reasons I loved Champloo. Same studio, too.

tearsofash

This thread is a pretty good suggestion sheet. It's anime from the last decade, and not all of it really fit the three you described in the OP. However, I've been watching the first episode of many shows in that threat with great results.

Philia

Last Exile is a very lovely anime I fell in love with. Deep enriching plot and characters with depth. Can't recommend this enough.

If you like violence with suspense or some plot, check out Berserk, Samurai Champloo, and Claymore.

If you like mechs, lol, I suppose you can check out RahXephon (sp) or Escaflowne or Neon Genesis Evangelion.

If you like mystery and yet cerebral along the way, check out Lain or Ghost in the Shell.

I have yet seen Paranoia Agent but I hear its good.

And then there's Cowboy Bebop lol, a must see.

Hakkuei

Planetes. It's the best and the most realistic sci-fi anime, and just loot at this :

mv.jpg

It's fucking beautiful.

Also Cowboy bebop because.. best anime evar.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
kino_no_tabi_01.jpg

Kino's JourneyKino's JourneyKino's JourneyKino's JourneyKino's JourneyKino's JourneyKino's JourneyKino's JourneyKino's Journey

Kino's Journey

I could say it more, but seriously, best TV show ever. Trash talk it, that's where you're head'll be. I'm serious business about my Kino ಠ_ಠ

Ezalc

qcf x2 said:
Michiko e Hatchin is the correct answer. Same studio that did Samurai Champloo. Check it out, OP.

Oh god no. Don't watch this OP the ending fucking sucks ass. Only thing you should look at is the OP for and that's it. You can thank me later.

Hakkuei

Uchip said:
great show
but poster made it sound like it looks like that pic
which it doesnt :)
It's a promo pic so obviously it looks nicer but I think it really captures the "dimension" of the anime.

Masked Man

I said wow
george_us said:

Cannot be overemphasized how great this show is. Love love love love love <3

qcf x2 said:
lol, no. Absolutely not.

Michiko e Hatchin is the correct answer. Same studio that did Samurai Champloo. Check it out, OP.

Did a Ctrl+F and found this was already posted..

This is the only answer.

Uchip

Banned
just noticed the OP said kite.... wtf lol
you could always watch Madoka Magica which is nearly complete

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I love Shigurui.

Imagine if Samurai Champloo had no whimsy at all, but was instead bleak, disturbing and amoral.

It's just as awesome/beautiful though!

brb

Mustaphadamus said:
Hey guys,

Looking for a good anime series to get into. Something along the lines of Samurai Champloo, Eureka Seven or Kite

Kite? The hentai? LOL
I've been looking to pick up a new anime myself but something more recent like past 3 or 2 seasons.
I'll suggest Wolf & Spice 1 and 2 for you, it's not action-y but the story and music are amazing.

Silkworm

I'd really like to try Monster, but only the first 15 episodes have been released in N. America on DVD and I don't think they'll release any more of this series. :-( I know there are probably fansubs but I prefer to buy and watch anime on my TV.

Uchip

Banned
brb said:
Kite? The hentai? LOL
I've been looking to pick up a new anime myself but something more recent like past 3 or 2 seasons.
I'll suggest Wolf & Spice 1 and 2 for you, it's not action-y but the story and music are amazing.

I dont even remember the music
horo was the reason to watch it

Silkworm

Noein, eh? I don't suppose it's something like Fantastic Children? I'd sure like to watch an anime more like that or similar to Now and Then, Here and There.

Silkworm said:
I'd really like to try Monster, but only the first 15 episodes have been released in N. America on DVD and I don't think they'll release any more of this series. :-( I know there are probably fansubs but I prefer to buy and watch anime on my TV.

If he has Hulu Plus, he can watch it on the telly. Easily one of the best animes ever created!

Uchip

Banned
Silkworm said:
Noein, eh? I don't suppose it's something like Fantastic Children? I'd sure like to watch an anime more like that or similar to Now and Then, Here and There.

Now and Then is depressing man
also the first anime i ever watched (not counting dragonball)

Silkworm

Attackthebase said:
If he has Hulu Plus, he can watch it on the telly. Easily one of the best animes ever created!
And still Viz Media won't release anything besides one box set of the first 15 episodes sadness me. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom