• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendogs + Cats |OT| Of The Excess Dog Population

antonz

20awcd2.gif

Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Genre: Pet Simulator
Developer: Nintendo
Publisher: Nintendo

Official Site: Nintendogs + Cats Website
Trailer:Nintendogs + Cats Trailer

Release Dates:
Japan: February 26, 2011
North America: March 27 2011
European Union: March 25, 2011
Australia: March 31, 2011

Description:
Nintendogs + Cats for the 3DS is the latest entry in the Pet Simulator franchise that began on the Nintendo DS. Besides better graphics new to the series are Feline friends who seek domination of mankind and must be thwarted by cute puppies. Nintendogs + Cats boats 27 Breeds of Dogs and 3 varities of Cats. Each version of the game starting with 9 Specific Dog breeds though all 27 can be unlocked through the course of playing.

Game Versions:
246was9.jpg

Breeds:
  • Toy Poodle
  • Corgi
  • Schnauzer
  • Boxer
  • Bull Terrier
  • Labrador
  • Shih Tzu
  • Jack Russell Terrier
  • Pomeranian
29mn891.jpg

Breeds:
  • French Bulldog
  • Sheltie
  • Cavalier Spaniel
  • Chiuahua
  • Dalmation
  • Yorkie
  • German Shepherd
  • Husky
  • Basset Hound
j0lamc.jpg

Breeds:
  • Golden Retriever
  • Beagle
  • Miniature Pinscher
  • Dachshund
  • Maltese
  • Great Dane
  • Pug
  • Cocker Spaniel
  • Shiba Inu
Activities:
  • Frisbee Throw Competitions:
    Throw a flying disc to test your puppy's running and catching skills. The farther you throw, the more points you'll get. Get extra points if your puppy catches it in mid-air, or in the bonus area!
  • Lure Coursing:
    In this race, a lure guides your puppy through the track. You control the lure—keep it close, but not too close. Watch out for obstacles too.
  • Obediance Trials:
    Using the included AR Cards and the Nintendo 3DS Camera, use voice commands to make your puppy perform tricks, and watch them unfold in the real world. The quicker your puppy performs, the more points you get—so practice often!

Kitties:
zwge9u.jpg

For Cat lovers you will be slightly disappointed because as the title suggests the game is mostly centered around mans best friend with cats as an added bonus to admire while being loved unconditionally by your adorable puppy.

Additional Features:
  • Streetpass Interaction allows people to exchange information regarding pets and other details including gifts.
  • Take 3D pictures of your Adorable Puppy in the real world with the usage of the included AR cards provided with the system.

dc89

Nice OT!

But Cats > Dogs.

I may pick this up next month, for the GF of course. She's not keen on the 3DS...yet.

Gravijah

Finally! Nice OT!

I'll be ordering the French Bulldog version in a few days with my Amazon credit.

Edit: Also, obviously cats are better. But that goes without saying.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
thread title is bullshit

it should have just been Nintencats since it's bringing in a new era of better people that know that cats are far superior the the stinky dumb alternative

excellent title change

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Izayoi said:
Call me when they make Nintencats + Dogs.

KuGsj.gif

I'll see what the reception for this is before I put it on my nebulous "3DS games to buy" list.

antonz

3D really adds alot to this game I feel as far as the pets go. Even with the more advanced fur shading and stuff in 2D it still doesn't look as nice but turn on the 3D and they look so much better.

Have a Toy Poodle running around keeping me busy. Dock is really nice cause I can leave the unit docked at my desk while I am working and watch the little guy keep himself busy with a ball or decide he is too good for the bed I bought him and sleep on the floor.

antonz

Went to get a cat and Nintendo has cat attitudes down pat. Dogs run over at the kennel excited to see you and the cats are like whatever just doing their thing in the back ignoring you.

WillyFive

Miyamoto is wrong. Cats are better than dogs.

Anyway, I loved the first game until I realized the dog can't die, and therefore there was no reason to care for him.

Shame too, because had amazing content and items to collect.

I got the French Bulldog version and got a...french bulldog.

I liked the original but I think I'll play this alot more. I wonder when they'll start doing spotpass updates. Its been out for amonth in Japan and they have'nt gotten any updates...

Anywayz: i've beaten the disc and lure competitions (my fave) on junior cup but I suck at the obedience...I don't wanna yell outloud lol. Spent 20 minutes teaching it its name and how to sit. (but I had my air conditioner on and its right by me bed...)

Currently have about 500 dollars. I was gonna buy another 3DS but figured I'de wait and save some money for they grey cat thats shown on the box. Or maybe a different colored one. They are 880 so I'm getting close.

Also I unlocked all routes on the walking. The 3D effect on those walks (and everywhere especially when cats paws start popping out of the screen) are awsome.

Gotta do some more obediance trials later today. When it gets cold enough to turn off the air conditioner.

dock

nintendog-stalin.jpg

Really love the AR feature in the game.

(Hope nintendo reduce the jpeg compression in 3ds firmware in the future!)

This is my first Nintendogs, and I love it! I've been able to play with some other dogs via Street Pass, one from my house-mate and another from a coworker.

Hylian7

Hold the phone! There's AR cards that come with this?! That's badass! After seeing this, I can't wait to see what else they use the AR cards for in other games.

antonz

Hylian7 said:
Hold the phone! There's AR cards that come with this?! That's badass! After seeing this, I can't wait to see what else they use the AR cards for in other games.
You can use the AR Cards that came with the 3DS and have lots of fun. Can have your dog wearing a mario hat or Kirby riding around on him etc

Gravijah

WiiRevolution1 said:
I liked the original but I think I'll play this alot more. I wonder when they'll start doing spotpass updates. Its been out for amonth in Japan and they have'nt gotten any updates...

Argh, came to ask about this. That sucks. :/

Hooray, an OT for Nintendogs + cats!

Tried taking my dog Andy for a walk today, using the pedometer. Even feed him and cleaned him up before the walk. That didn't go as planned :/

My 3DS battery was down to one bar when I put the game into Sleep Mode. Get home about 5hrs later.....and the system is shut off >___<

Oh well, lesson learned. I'll try walking Andy with the pedometer again tomorrow

Love this game but earning $800 to buy a cat seems excessive. Is there any way to make money other than doing those competitions? I'm terrible at them and I always get 3rd, which is like $10.

Chorazin

Woo, finally an OT for this!

Popped the cart in last night and picked Stripe, and adorable French Bulldog! I've taken him on walks both in the in-game walks and with the pedometer. Very cool, the dogs look AMAZING in 3D. Seems a ton of fun just like the original was, looking forward to getting a cat in the future and another dog to keep Stripe company.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
lazybones18 said:
My 3DS battery was down to one bar when I put the game into Sleep Mode. Get home about 5hrs later.....and the system is shut off >___<

Andy is dead now......

How do you take him for a walk with the pedometer? That sounds interesting.

mango drank

Neuromancer said:
My Shiba Inu, Foofy.

14awpiw.png

I think you've got the pictures flip-flopped. Was this supposed to be cross-eyed 3D? I swapped the left and right pictures with each other, and it looks better:
11iibfn.jpg

Ken

mrklaw said:
How do you take him for a walk with the pedometer? That sounds interesting.

It's one of the options for "Go Out" (the same menu as Shopping, Competitions, etc.).
Just select it and the game will tell you to close the 3DS. The great thing is you can still gain Play Coins at the same time as you walk the dog.

Jackano

I choose this game in the japanese line-up. Never played Nintendogs before, I definitely buyed it because of cats, even if I was aware it will be a minor addition.

jjb6zb.jpg

I'm not impressed. It looks probably like a slight update of the DS game. I'm particularly disapointed when I see the poor technical level for a first party, launch line-up Nintendo game. And I'm clearly not a tech guy who wants HD etc...
Fur-shading is very, very discrete, cats and dogs legs shows low-poly, environements are empty (both house and streets), collisions between animals are... not handled, not so many animations (you will notice nothing new after 2 or 3 days), etc...

Of course dogs IA seems to be OK, but there isn't many things to do here. 3 activities and something like 100 objects only (toys are nice but there is ~20 of them and many plays the same way; I don't care care about dogs accessories; House customisation have plenty of content but you can only place 4 objects at the beginning...). Last con: You can't most of the time control the camera...

Overall I don't understand anymore (except for IA) why this is a killer-app that sold so much over the world!

Jackano said:
I choose this game in the japanese line-up. Never played Nintendogs before, I definitely buyed it because of cats, even if I was aware it will be a minor addition.

jjb6zb.jpg

I'm not impressed. It looks probably like a slight update of the DS game. I'm particularly disapointed when I see the poor technical level for a first party, launch line-up Nintendo game. And I'm clearly not a tech guy who wants HD etc...
Fur-shading is very, very discrete, cats and dogs legs shows low-poly, environements are empty (both house and streets), collisions between animals are... not handled, not so many animations (you will notice nothing new after 2 or 3 days), etc...

Of course dogs IA seems to be OK, but there isn't many things to do here. 3 activities and something like 100 objects only (toys are nice but there is ~20 of them and many plays the same way; I don't care care about dogs accessories; House customisation have plenty of content but you can only place 4 objects at the beginning...). Last con: You can't most of the time control the camera...

Overall I don't understand anymore (except for IA) why this is a killer-app that sold so much over the world!

What the hell is IA? Inteligencia Artificial?

Kafel

Banned
If you can't understand then put your 3DS between the hands of a 9 years old girl. Maybe something will happen.

brohmbel said:
I think you've got the pictures flip-flopped. Was this supposed to be cross-eyed 3D? I swapped the left and right pictures with each other, and it looks better:
http://i53.tinypic.com/11iibfn.jpg[iMG][/QUOTE]
Yeah you're right, thanks

[QUOTE=mrklaw]How do you take him for a walk with the pedometer? That sounds interesting.[/QUOTE]
There's a menu option called pedometer. Click it and it tells you to close your system and put in standby. Then when you're done walking, you open it up and your dog gives you a different gift depending on how many steps you've taken.

exwallst

Nintendo knows how to manage a franchise. This just teases for a full version of cats which will probably ship in 5 years. The anti-EA/ATVI.

Chorazin

Jackano said:

So....if you never played Nintendogs, how are you able to compare them? Trust me, this game looks leaps and bounds better than the original, and the dogs look crazy awesome to me in 3D.

If you don't understand why people love these games when your puppy runs up to the screen and yor can tell by his mannerisms that he's happy to see you then you're missing the point and have no soul.

Jackano

malingenie said:
What the hell is IA? Inteligencia Artificial?
AI. Sorry, said it in french ^^"

@Chorazin: Yeah of course I do understand and that's I was talking about by refering to the A... IA, but this doesn't excuse the lack of activities and variety, and the graphics/animation. As for comparing to the DS version, I mentionned "It looks probably like" and the "probably" was here to prevent me from Super Paper Mario screenshots ^^

In the end, shower and cats is ridiculous too!

Hobbun

Going to pick this up after work, have never played the originals.

Oh, and I like BOTH cats and dogs. I miss my cat, he was a 20 lb golden tabby that would put you to sleep with his purring.

Bii

I just opened up my Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog and New Friends and the inside case doesn't have those little pictures where the holes are. :(

As an example (not my picture):

5555964228_d52b1ef569_z.jpg

My case doesn't have that. ;_;

antonz

Bii said:
I just opened up my Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog and New Friends and the inside case doesn't have those little pictures where the holes are. :(

As an example (not my picture):

My case doesn't have that. ;_;
Yeah NOA didnt give us the cute puppy holes :/

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Will purchase eventually, but I have no burning desire to relive Nintendogs once more. Although I enjoyed the original..

Poyunch

I just remembered there's AR interaction. I wanted to save my money but I think I might buy one of the versions. >_<

watershed

Banned
This is my first nintendogs game ever and I'm having a lot of fun. I know most of the content is rehashed but its all new to me! I've been playing 20 minutes a day or so and have found it to be enjoyable in small sessions.

Top Bottom