• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Warriors: Chronicles |OT|

Sanic

avm95.png

Developer: Omega Force
Publisher: Tecmo Koei Games
Platform: Nintendo 3DS

Release Dates
  • Japan - February 26, 2011
  • Europe - March 25, 2011
  • North America - March 27, 2011

--Updates--

5/13/11 - DLC is now available for US gamers, and a new piece of DLC will be made available each Friday for the following 21 weeks.
4/4/11 - If you have a Japanese copy of the game, the first DLC mission is now available for free via Spotpass.

--About--

Samurai Warriors: Chronicles is a hack and slash game in the Samurai Warriors series, itself a spin off of Dynasty Warriors. Samurai Warriors: Chronicles introduces several new features not included in prior Samurai Warriors games. While the top screen displays the main game, the bottom screen is used to display maps, KO's, and mission data. A player can switch between four characters during battle, switching the screen to their respective locations as well. Players can also create new characters to be used in gameplay.

--Screenshots--

e89ef.jpg

tt3o0.jpg

Vu6lF.jpg

4qd9T.jpg

--Videos--

--Reviews--

--GAF impressions--

donkey show:
If you've played a Dynasty Warriors game before, it's pretty much par for course. Characters level up both during and after battles which give you upgraded stats and combo trees, you gain/synth weapons and items for higher stats and effects, all while following the course of the Warring States period in Japan (loosely of course). It can be a grind fest when tackling later levels as your characters may be underpowered, but you have the ability to go back to previous missions with your upgraded equips/leveled up characters. If need be, you always have the choice of choosing your difficulty before the mission even starts. The higher the mission difficulty, the better the items.

For the most part and for what I've experienced so far is that you are Generic Joe/Jane and you follow a somewhat linear story path. As you continue along, you have the ability to change weapon styles, equips that change your appearance, and you also increase friendships with characters you fight along side with through somewhat interactive cutscenes. That doesn't mean you're stuck with one character though as you will end up playing as a multitude of allies along the way (which you can then go back to previous missions and use as your main). Gameplay-wise, it'll be hit or miss. I love the Musou games in general, so I'm all for hacking and slashing historical figures. I've logged in at least around 7 hours on this game so needless to say it has me hooked.

The newest thing SWC has established is being able to choose who you control on the battlefield during play. Previously, you were either stuck with one character throughout the mission or you swapped/tagged your characters with another on the fly (Orochi Warriors if I recall). In this one, you choose one of 4 characters on the field. Because the battlefield is pretty huge, getting from one area to the next can take a while. In SWC, you click on a character portrait the touch screen and you'll instantly control the said warrior. As in-game missions continuously give you objectives throughout the battle, you will more than likely have to switch characters to achieve those goals because of either positioning on the battlefield, defend a target, or prevent a target from being attacked by a certain individual. There are also special moves that use up a spirit meter that can either affect all characters or just a single one such as healing, increased movement, etc.

Graphics-wise... nothing to write home about. PS2 level quality with lots of pop-in from the enemy units. The 3D effect is minor, but I can't turn it off since it still adds to the immersion of it all. Great game regardless and probably my fave out of all the launch games so far. Major time sink and I think you can get at least 15 hours out of it... and that's not trying to max everyone out.

Sqorgar:
I'd say it is equal, in general, to the series. It definitely feels like a full featured Musou game rather than a cut down portable version. But I have a few niggling doubts about it so far (four levels in).

There's only one story, with the single player character, rather than having a Musou mode for all the characters. Also, I feel like the missions are too dominating over your strategy. They come fairly often and most of them have short time limits (30 seconds) that show you that they definitely intend character X to handle this mission. The way the characters are placed around the map and the types of missions seem like there's only one way to attack each level. But I'm only a few levels in, so this could easily change.

I noticed in the vault that there are ??? missions that I didn't see the first time through the levels, so I assume it is like the first Samurai Warriors when you may have to purposely seek out missions, or fail specific previous ones, to see the extra missions, so maybe the levels aren't as linear and set in stone as I think.

I DO like the multiple character switching thing, and the ability to tell a character to go to specific places and fight specific captains without controlling them directly. With more open levels, such a system would change the way one plays a Musou game, so I'm all for it.

It borrows heavily from Samurai Warriors 3 - a lot of the same assets and game design ideas - which is sort of the culmination of the way recent Musou games have worked (getting money, upgrading weapons, 3 types of weapons, mini-missions). I just picked up Dynasty Warriors 7, which is very different, going back to the DW3 way of leveling up characters and a completely new weapon system. DW7 seems much fresher to me and I'm more eager to play it. If you could only pick one of them, DW7 seems like the way to go in my so far brief experience with it.

I don't really have a chart with all the Musou games ranked or anything, but SWC would probably fit somewhere around the middle. It is far better than the portable games have been thus far, most of which are so bad that they wouldn't even be put on the chart out of the sheer shame of it all.

justchris:
After Dynasty Warriors 4 or Samurai Warriors 2 (I forget the exact Chronology), I stopped buying Warriors games until they decide to finally offer 4 player multiplay, because dammit, every console out now offers 4 controller 'ports' out of the box, and the only thing more fun than mowing down hordes of peons is mowing down hordes of peons with friends. (I did pick up Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce, which has 4 player online).

I picked this game up because I do enjoy the Musou games, and what little I was able to find about this one piqued my interest, and I have to say, it is probably the best Musou game I've played in years (just because I don't buy the games doesn't mean I don't play them, I have friends).

The things this game has going for it are many. It has the normal Musou map structure, rather than the room structure most portable Musou games (and Strikeforce) used, which is a better design. It has a tactical element with the ability to instantly switch which general you're controlling. It also has the ability to direct your generals to specific locations without taking control of them (tap the map on the lower screen, then the general, then double-tap where you want them to go). This is useful for positioning people where you want them to go.

In addition, they've added a few new combat quirks that I like. They added a spirit meter (which actually appears as a bunch of circles, so I call them spirit balls), which can be used to activate a special ability for your general. It can also be used (by pressing the B button) to break guards. This Spirit attack also links combos (sort of like the Dash Attack in the Gundam Musou games) so you can string together even longer combos. You also use these Spirit Balls to activate Battle Tactics, which are things that more generally affect the battle. Like lowering enemy morale, doubling the combo meter for a period, or fully healing a character. Finally, if all your Spirit Balls are filled, your Musuo attack becomes Ultimate Musou (or some other silly moniker), which is even more devastating than normal Musou.

It still has level progression and RPG elements, as well as items and improved weapons like the previous Musou games, so there's replayability to power your characters up. And since the main character is one you create, you can actually change your weapon types as well later in the game.

Inside each battle, there are also a series of mini-missions which you can complete for bonuses. Each mission also has a secondary criteria (like complete within a certain time, complete with a certain character and whatnot) that will give you an additional bonus.

It also has a call horse button, rather than trying to figure out where you left your horse. (I think you can also call a horse even if you didn't have one before, which is kind of cool).

Technically, the game is fairly solid, too. The 3D effects are understated but fairly well done, with the only quirk being in the very beginning of the opening movie that made my eyes go all weird (those of you who've seen it will remember the gathering shadow). The graphics aren't exceptional, but they're solid, with decent lighting, textures and geometry. Controls are responsive, and, basically, it's a Musou game. You know what you're getting into gameplay wise.

All this awesome does lead to some sacrifices though.
First, and most major, is the somewhat lacking number of enemies. Rather than legions of peons to mow down, you're more limited to hordes. On the other hand, they seem to have upped the number of enemy commanders in each battle. I have noticed that this leads to less pop-in than I'm used to in Musou games (especially from the PS2 era, but you still see it on the 360 & PS3)

There is no real multiplayer in this game, so it's all single-player. There is a way to build an army and have it do a faux battle with someone online, but it's not the same as getting with a friend to take back Japan.

There is only one story in the game. Now, in the previous games, it was a lot of fighting the same battles over and over again, but from different perspectives. Now, you can take different generals into the battles with you, but there's no change in perspective. That makes the game somewhat more repetitive, but if repetitiveness is a problem for you, I'm sure this is the game you want to be playing anyway?

Finally, the friendly AI is...it's just bad. You get a mission to take out a particular enemy commander, but you're busy fighting 2 other commanders, so you send your friendly generals to face the enemy commander (luckily the game pauses when you're giving orders), and they get there...and nothing really happens. Unless you're physically controlling them, it seems impossible that they will ever win the battle. Enemy AI is slightly better, but not by a lot. What this means is, any general you're not actively controlling is in near constant danger of imminent death on the highest difficulty (there's only easy, normal and hard that I've discovered so far).

Anyway, I, personally, am loving the game, and I think any fan of the series will enjoy it as well. It is not something that's going to attract people who haven't liked previous games in the idiom though.

Sanic

A little late, but I thought I would make an OT for this. I used to play the series back during the PS2 days but got burnt out, so i'm looking forward to buying this and trying it out within the next few days.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Thanks for making this. This game has been getting kind of ignored. More impressions would be great.

MoxManiac said:
Switching to different officers mid-battle sounds interesting. Peons look pretty sparse in the screenshots though.

Thats the main reason I cancelled my preorder. I play these games to cut my way through a huge army not a handful of troops.

JoeFu

Banned
Just got the game today, but haven't played too much. Love musou games even though I barely play them. Only on the 4th mission at the moment.

I really like all the missions you get during each map.

kiryogi

Banned
Returned pilotwings for this. So happy with it. Japanese voices and full on battlefields unlike the early psp musous + new features and additions.

What id love to know tho for folks that have played the other entries (I haven't played since sw1) do you find this equal/better/worse than previous titles? The whole instant officer change is a real welcome addition to musou. Giving you the ability to move around the field to respond to events asap + giving you more officers to control. Not to mention it features every single char to date so far. It really feels like it'd be the most definitive sw yet with all the additions.

Kevtones

I hated Musou games until they clicked about two months ago for me. Oddly enough it was with Sengoku Basara and then SWIII.

I picked this up with Ghost Recon (also great!) and I don't regret. Lots of content, tons of missions, and switching is great. I dig the cinema style too and the game just feels pretty lively despite the lower enemy count. Good stuff and I'm excited for the possible DLC.

Koei really is on a roll with their Warriors games lately.

We need more games with the ability to switch to different officers on different parts of the map instantly.

Delio

Great great game. Despite the enemy number it's very good and is acutally kind of hard. General swicthing is a welcome addition in the middle of battle.

Sanic

Delio said:
Great great game. Despite the enemy number it's very good and is acutally kind of hard. General swicthing is a welcome addition in the middle of battle.

I had heard that the enemy count increases during the later missions, is that not the case?

Sqorgar

Banned
kiryogi said:
What id love to know tho for folks that have played the other entries (I haven't played since sw1) do you find this equal/better/worse than previous titles? The whole instant officer change is a real welcome addition to musou. Giving you the ability to move around the field to respond to events asap + giving you more officers to control. Not to mention it features every single char to date so far. It really feels like it'd be the most definitive sw yet with all the additions.
I'd say it is equal, in general, to the series. It definitely feels like a full featured Musou game rather than a cut down portable version. But I have a few niggling doubts about it so far (four levels in).

There's only one story, with the single player character, rather than having a Musou mode for all the characters. Also, I feel like the missions are too dominating over your strategy. They come fairly often and most of them have short time limits (30 seconds) that show you that they definitely intend character X to handle this mission. The way the characters are placed around the map and the types of missions seem like there's only one way to attack each level. But I'm only a few levels in, so this could easily change.

I noticed in the vault that there are ??? missions that I didn't see the first time through the levels, so I assume it is like the first Samurai Warriors when you may have to purposely seek out missions, or fail specific previous ones, to see the extra missions, so maybe the levels aren't as linear and set in stone as I think.

I DO like the multiple character switching thing, and the ability to tell a character to go to specific places and fight specific captains without controlling them directly. With more open levels, such a system would change the way one plays a Musou game, so I'm all for it.

It borrows heavily from Samurai Warriors 3 - a lot of the same assets and game design ideas - which is sort of the culmination of the way recent Musou games have worked (getting money, upgrading weapons, 3 types of weapons, mini-missions). I just picked up Dynasty Warriors 7, which is very different, going back to the DW3 way of leveling up characters and a completely new weapon system. DW7 seems much fresher to me and I'm more eager to play it. If you could only pick one of them, DW7 seems like the way to go in my so far brief experience with it.

I don't really have a chart with all the Musou games ranked or anything, but SWC would probably fit somewhere around the middle. It is far better than the portable games have been thus far, most of which are so bad that they wouldn't even be put on the chart out of the sheer shame of it all.

Qatar

is it fun playing this game alone? I used to play those type of games coop and I like it, but not sure how is the single player

justchris

After Dynasty Warriors 4 or Samurai Warriors 2 (I forget the exact Chronology), I stopped buying Warriors games until they decide to finally offer 4 player multiplay, because dammit, every console out now offers 4 controller 'ports' out of the box, and the only thing more fun than mowing down hordes of peons is mowing down hordes of peons with friends. (I did pick up Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce, which has 4 player online).

I picked this game up because I do enjoy the Musou games, and what little I was able to find about this one piqued my interest, and I have to say, it is probably the best Musou game I've played in years (just because I don't buy the games doesn't mean I don't play them, I have friends).

The things this game has going for it are many. It has the normal Musou map structure, rather than the room structure most portable Musou games (and Strikeforce) used, which is a better design. It has a tactical element with the ability to instantly switch which general you're controlling. It also has the ability to direct your generals to specific locations without taking control of them (tap the map on the lower screen, then the general, then double-tap where you want them to go). This is useful for positioning people where you want them to go.

In addition, they've added a few new combat quirks that I like. They added a spirit meter (which actually appears as a bunch of circles, so I call them spirit balls), which can be used to activate a special ability for your general. It can also be used (by pressing the B button) to break guards. This Spirit attack also links combos (sort of like the Dash Attack in the Gundam Musou games) so you can string together even longer combos. You also use these Spirit Balls to activate Battle Tactics, which are things that more generally affect the battle. Like lowering enemy morale, doubling the combo meter for a period, or fully healing a character. Finally, if all your Spirit Balls are filled, your Musuo attack becomes Ultimate Musou (or some other silly moniker), which is even more devastating than normal Musou.

It still has level progression and RPG elements, as well as items and improved weapons like the previous Musou games, so there's replayability to power your characters up. And since the main character is one you create, you can actually change your weapon types as well later in the game.

Inside each battle, there are also a series of mini-missions which you can complete for bonuses. Each mission also has a secondary criteria (like complete within a certain time, complete with a certain character and whatnot) that will give you an additional bonus.

It also has a call horse button, rather than trying to figure out where you left your horse. (I think you can also call a horse even if you didn't have one before, which is kind of cool).

Technically, the game is fairly solid, too. The 3D effects are understated but fairly well done, with the only quirk being in the very beginning of the opening movie that made my eyes go all weird (those of you who've seen it will remember the gathering shadow). The graphics aren't exceptional, but they're solid, with decent lighting, textures and geometry. Controls are responsive, and, basically, it's a Musou game. You know what you're getting into gameplay wise.

All this awesome does lead to some sacrifices though.
First, and most major, is the somewhat lacking number of enemies. Rather than legions of peons to mow down, you're more limited to hordes. On the other hand, they seem to have upped the number of enemy commanders in each battle. I have noticed that this leads to less pop-in than I'm used to in Musou games (especially from the PS2 era, but you still see it on the 360 & PS3)

There is no real multiplayer in this game, so it's all single-player. There is a way to build an army and have it do a faux battle with someone online, but it's not the same as getting with a friend to take back Japan.

There is only one story in the game. Now, in the previous games, it was a lot of fighting the same battles over and over again, but from different perspectives. Now, you can take different generals into the battles with you, but there's no change in perspective. That makes the game somewhat more repetitive, but if repetitiveness is a problem for you, I'm sure this is the game you want to be playing anyway?

Finally, the friendly AI is...it's just bad. You get a mission to take out a particular enemy commander, but you're busy fighting 2 other commanders, so you send your friendly generals to face the enemy commander (luckily the game pauses when you're giving orders), and they get there...and nothing really happens. Unless you're physically controlling them, it seems impossible that they will ever win the battle. Enemy AI is slightly better, but not by a lot. What this means is, any general you're not actively controlling is in near constant danger of imminent death on the highest difficulty (there's only easy, normal and hard that I've discovered so far).

Anyway, I, personally, am loving the game, and I think any fan of the series will enjoy it as well. It is not something that's going to attract people who haven't liked previous games in the idiom though.

Sqorgar said:

Actually, I thought that was the case, but apparently it's not. It looks like each mission has two parts. The top part is the actual mission. The bottom part is an additional requirement. You get a bonus for completing the mission, and an extra bonus for completing it and meeting the special requirement (after the battle it lists all the missions, and you can tell if you succeeded on the additional requirement because the reward next to it will be sparkly).

kiryogi

Banned
Sqorgar said:

Thing about the missions is that they're not a requirement. However, ignoring them can make things very difficult for you. Plus, you get some nice rewards for accomplishing them.

On DW7 tho, I imported it a few weeks ago and honestly this feels like it has a lot more depth in comparison. At most in DW, it's 6 hit chains, while here in SW the combos extend completely far out. Not to mention the spirit gauge system and special systems. But the overall picture as you mentioned is that it does really feel like a full and robust Musou entry.

gimz

got it the other day, have been playing around with it yesterday, its actually my second Warrior game i bought! im liking it, and the 3D is well done and i actually turn the 3D on everytime i play unlike SSIV i mostly have the 3D off!

Sanic

Bought this today. I'm only one mission in, but it's fun so far. Very similar to what I remember, so I jumped right in pretty easily.

matmanx1

After 3 missions you unlock the store and can buy and sell equipment and upgrades (and trade in your gold coins for in game money 1 coin = 100 gold) and after the 4th mission you get the street pass function enabled.

That's as far as I've gotten so far but I love the fast and furious mission rate and the in-battle switching to different characters. Having played both Ken's Rage and Sengoku Basara lately I like this Warriors game better than both of those games. It's fully voiced and the production values are notably higher than any other handheld Warriors game that I've played. I would put it among my favorite Warrior games thus far, easily.

Kudos to Koei Tecmo for getting this game localized and out to us in the US for the 3DS launch and I hope they sell boatloads of it and make lots of new "Warriors" fans in the process.

bender

What time is it?
Having never played a Warriors game, is this an okay starting point? I know it was mentioned earlier that Dynasty Warriors 7 is probably the better choice between these two titles but I'd really like to have something to play with my 3DS.

Sqorgar

Banned
bender said:
Having never played a Warriors game, is this an okay starting point? I know it was mentioned earlier that Dynasty Warriors 7 is probably the better choice between these two titles but I'd really like to have something to play with my 3DS.
I think it would be a fine first Musou game. In fact, I'd probably recommend it over DW7 for first time players. I've been seeing a lot of people saying that SWC is their first game in the series and they love it. They, too, wonder what the hell the reviewers are smoking.

DW7 is a better choice for people who are already fans of the series.

bender

What time is it?
I'm not much for reviews to be honest. One of my favorite games this generation is Earth Defense Force and that reviewed really poorly. I'm guess the games have a lot in common replacing shooting hordes of robots and insects with hack and slashing brigades of enemy troops.

I failed the second mission twice because some dude reached an exit that i didnt notice. Sigh. I feel over whelmed with all the missions and dont knwo how i kept missing this dude.

He is escaping at the bottom left right?

Gamer @ Heart said:
I failed the second mission twice because some dude reached an exit that i didnt notice. Sigh. I feel over whelmed with all the missions and dont knwo how i kept missing this dude.

He is escaping at the bottom left right?

I'm pretty sure the missions tend to show where guys should/should not go in the purple boxes on the map.

Also, while the game is good, the translation was obviously rushed as hell. Typos everywhere.

gimz

its sad how little posts this thread/game got
Im now on chapter 2, i like this game a lot, lots of missions, and lots of stage in one chapter
The game is actually pretty hard too, i kept failing or dieing in the later level

after you beat more levels you can then change your custom in the store!

I rage quit and sold it after continually failing on a particularly hard chapter near the end of Act 2, possibly right before I get the opportunity to change my character's moveset.

Switching between four characters REALLY increases the pace of battle, and absolutely necessary. It gives you a reason to play as every single character for at least a little bit, and possibly the single best recent edition to the series.

I also like it now that even though I no longer have the game, I may still one day pass a fellow lonely player and their custom team will beat my early-level scrub team, and they'll get an item for their troubles.

kiryogi

Banned
Pureauthor said:
I'm pretty sure the missions tend to show where guys should/should not go in the purple boxes on the map.

Also, while the game is good, the translation was obviously rushed as hell. Typos everywhere.

Yeah it's a big pulsating purple box when they show you the missions.

Mrbob

bender said:

Absolutely. I like the twist on the campaign. You make a name as hero yourself and help out in major battles. Easy to follow the story.

JoeFu

Banned
DLC for the game!

Destructoid said:
Samurai Warriors Chronicles has received its first downloadable content in the form a new free stage, Battle of Ariokajou. It's the first of several free levels that Tecmo Koei plans to release.

The DLC map should automatically download for anybody with Spotpass enabled in the wireless options menu. Downloaded stages are played in the "Gaiden" section of the campaign's chapter selection screen. I'm not seeing it myself, so we in the West may be waiting a little while for it.

I haven't received a notification for it, but glad to see we are going to get extra levels. Going to take me forever to finish the main stuff though.

Sanic

Nice! I've only played a bit over an hour so far, but it's nice to know there'll be more content waiting for me when I finish the main game.

angelfly

JoeFu said:
DLC for the game!

I haven't received a notification for it, but glad to see we are going to get extra levels. Going to take me forever to finish the main stuff though.
Unless you have the Japanese version of the game you won't be getting it since it hasn't been released outside of Japan yet.

JoeFu

Banned
Haha, I didn't even read the article, just something I found while searching for stuff for the game. Good to know

Pandoracell said:
I had heard that the enemy count increases during the later missions, is that not the case?
You know, it's not so much that the enemy count isn't there, but it's more of the fact that whatever engine Omega Force used does a horrible job of rendering them on the screen. Where you might be seeing 6-7 enemies on screen, there's actually 17-18 at times in a rather close distance. It never really becomes an issue where invisible enemies will all of a sudden smash on you, but it does become a little niggle every once in awhile. But yes, the later missions have hundreds of enemies lying in wait.

I've hit the 13 hour mark and I've somewhat hit a wall where I need to grind out a little more, but it's enjoyable considering going back to a mission allows you to change all the characters you control. I'm also guessing you can change your default weapon after finishing the entire main quest since I'm at the last section, but no different weapon choices for my Generic Joe yet.

JoeFu

Banned
I read you need to have an excellent relationship with people to get their weapons for your main hero, but I have no idea.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played a Musou game since like Dynasty Warriors 3, but I'm so tempted to pick this up. I had ordered some games on TRU.com but their shipping was sloooowwww so I picked them up in store. The games finally came today so I'm going to exchange them. So tempted.

JoeFu said:
I read you need to have an excellent relationship with people to get their weapons for your main hero, but I have no idea.
That makes sense. Guess I'm gonna have to hit up Masamune Date like a mofo.

gimz

JoeFu said:
DLC for the game!

wow didnt expect that! great news!
its my first Samurai Warriors game (have played dynasty warriors before tho), and i love it, i dont know much about Japan history, i like how this game just have you joining different forces thru out the game!

Bebpo

Banned
I don't really like this too much tbh. I really liked the touch screen stuff, switching instantly between generals and plotting out rts movement. I like the mid-stage missions but I hate the presentation of them, how they pause the action at random times and pop in your face; especially since there are so many. They're also sometimes really hard to follow what is going on. I have to pause and go to officer details to find the guys they're even talking about sometimes.

I dislike the story structure of a lot of jumping from group to group. One of the reasons I like DW or Basara is picking a character and sticking with them for 3-5 hours of maps, learning their playstyle and getting the satisfaction each time you get a new move to use in your disposal. Here it's like you use a character for 30 seconds or a few mins and then you don't see them again for another 5 hours? Meanwhile the only character you stick with and grow is your generic boring nameless guy/girl? I don't enjoy playing as my generic guy. I play musou games to play as crazy awesome people with unique moves.

I dunno, I just find the structure inherently unsatisfying. The least of any musou I've played. I also don't like the combine weapons to slightly slightly upgrade them (+1/+2) and sacrifice items for slots. Why give a weapon to a character other than your main person if you're not going to play as them again for a while and use the new weapon.

And having to sit through the narration FMV before EVERY STAGE IN THE GAME is kind of crazy! I like the stories because they give it some background to make the combat more meaningful but you should have narration/cutscenes spread every 4-6 stages. I don't like that when I just want to jump in and kill stuff I have to sit through all the story before every freaking stage.

As for the actual combat...well, coming from GM3 it feels pretty stiff. I've never been a fan of the running attack since you want to run most of the time but you don't always want to do the run attack. I hate how to get your true musou you need to build up 5 spirit orbs & the musou bar. Takes half or 3/4th the map, whereas in other musou games you're doing your cool looking musou every couple of mins as a combo ender.

It's not bad, but other than the neat touch screen stuff that I really do like, the top-screen gameplay feels really really dated compared to GM3 or Basara 3 which are the last two musou-ish titles I played.

Top Bottom