• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life 2: Aftermath tidbits

Eric-GCA

Banned
Here are some quotes from PC Gamer from the Valve employees:

Robin Harper (Valve Designer): "Right now, we're really, really good at making Half-Life 2. We think our customers want a lot more of Half-Life 2. That's what we're going to give them. But we'd just got confortable with our tools, and what we could do. That's normally the point in which we'd go off and make new tools... We didn't want to do that."

"We really want Alyx to grow as a character. There was the promise of that in the first game, but we spent so much of our time introducing her as a character, we really didn't get a chance to spend time with her for an entire section. She would flit in and out. Since she's with you a lot, we're working on ways to make her a lot more interesting to be around, a lot more interesting to interact with."

Marc Laidlaw (Writer): "The reason we're able to do this, and why it's so exciting for us coming out of Half-Life 2, is because of Steam... If we were doing this without Steam we'd have to put it in a box, we'd have to start figuring out shelf space over a year beforehand... You'd see it six years from now."

Marc also stated that he is desperate to make a mod based on Lamarr, the little headcrab.

Espio

I am so looking forward to this, I hope they make the expansion just as impressive as Half-Life 2, I don't want it to ever look aged.

it almost sounds like it's not going to be a full on expansion pack, but more of another couple chapters full of new stuff. The recent Steam update news called it the "new HL2: Aftermath episode", so perhaps they plan on making quite a few of these "episodes"? I would not object to that at all.

border

If we were doing this without Steam we'd have to put it in a box, we'd have to start figuring out shelf space over a year beforehand... You'd see it six years from now.
Because, ya know, all 20 of the Half Life 1 expansions each took six years =P

And is he essentially confirming that this expansion will be Steam-Exclusive?

Eric-GCA

Banned
I think what is cool is that apparently, unlike the original Half Life, Valve is doing the "expansions" in-house rather than farming them out to other developers like Gearbox which did that Opposing Force and Blue Shift HL1 expansions.

Scans for all! :D

Seeing as AfterMath will be continuing on the story and we don't have to wait for HL3, the sooner the better!

Also some info on The Lost Coast free download in there too. Apparantly minimum spec for full graphics settings on that one is a 3.2ghz processor and the latest and greatest of graphics cards. Count me out for now then :lol

BuddyC

The article confirm that a) Aftermath is a Steam exclusive and b) Gordon returns. Nice to see they're furthering the story, and yea, it sure sounds like they're planning more "episodes."

Hooray for episodic content? We'll see.

B'z-chan

Banned
The Lost Coast looks just amazing. I think i need a new computer now. Aftermath looks well its HL2 i just want to make sure it continues the story and we find out who G-man is.

I'm kind of glad that Valve wants to get away from having publishers. That might drive them to create more games and more edisodes. I would love a game where i wait a week and get a 2-4 hour chunk at a time. It migth allow for some interesting development.

I hope other game developers that still own they're own IP's see this as the future. Cause it would make PC gaming golden again in my eyes.

marsomega

Marc Laidlaw (Writer): "The reason we're able to do this, and why it's so exciting for us coming out of Half-Life 2, is because of Steam... If we were doing this without Steam we'd have to put it in a box, we'd have to start figuring out shelf space over a year beforehand... You'd see it six years from now."

Bull. Fucking. Shit. Fuck Steam, Fuck Valve.

Eric-GCA said:

Uh, stick to writing and leave the distribution to people with half a brain, spanky.

Top Bottom