• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life Alyx on PSVR2 via PC. I never thought I’d see the day.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

iVRy-Half-Life-Alyx-durch-PSVR-2-Linsen.jpg

iVRY

"Day #121: And we're in!
- PSVR2 was blocking VR modes by saying it couldn't do DSC
- We modified an AMD Open Source Linux GPU driver to force DSC
- Now we know how to put the PSVR2 into VR mode, so we can design some hardware to do it on Windows
- "Can PSVR2 be used on PC?" - Yes"

it’s still very early but progress is getting made.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Never thought you would see the day? Really? Not like much use for the headset outside of trying to get it to work on PC at this point.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
They are using a Raspberry Pi Pico but said someone else would need to manufacture an adapter for consumers. If simple enough I wouldn't mind making my own but still have to get around needing an RTX 2000s GPU I think.
I will investigate

fart town usa

Gold Member
Sony would be smart to officially support VR on PC. You’ve got a built in audience.
Its really dumb of them. I own PSVR2, I'm happy with it and it has a great library that non-owners unfortunately trash for no reason. That being said, it's just dumb to not let people use it on PC. It's easy money and is good word of mouth.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

Will the program cost money to use also? That what the guys responsible for the PS4 VR on PC did.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

When PS4 emulation takes off with peripheral support, this on PC will have insane support.
Super high internal res PSVR1 games on the PSVR2 display - yes please.

Buggy Loop

PSVR2 had a very attractive price point for a headset that supports eye tracking, which Quest 3 will not have

But who cares about eye tracking when PC can brute force anyway? They aren’t that demanding games. I doubt the hack will support that too since it’s software side.

I would take pancake lenses without a tiny small focus point over any of that. To begin with, the edge of the lenses will not be a blurry mess like fresnel

Buggy Loop

Oled vs lcd for one, foveated rendering if they can somehow get that working.

Headsets used to be OLED in the past, almost all companies went through that technology. It’s not a novelty on PCVR.

Foveated rendering again is probably locked behind software, but also that I can’t think of a single PCVR game that is so demanding that it would benefit it unless you were on old pascal cards. They brute force their way to native. It’s to the point for me with a 3080 Ti where I have multiples of the native res without problems.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

But who cares about eye tracking when PC can brute force anyway? They aren’t that demanding games. I doubt the hack will support that too since it’s software side.

I would take pancake lenses without a tiny small focus point over any of that. To begin with, the edge of the lenses will not be a blurry mess like fresnel
Eye tracking is not only about performance

And not everyone's PC can "brute force"

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
Technology wise (at least for games) yes.
Optics wise it has probably the best screen but not the best lenses by far.
Ok so finally I get a reaction beyond emojis lol.

So you draw a distinction between the rest of the unit and the lenses. What's wrong with those? Seems odd they'd invest so much in every other aspect but that.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I don't think I'm quite following why people didn't just get a cheap Quest 2 years ago if they wanted to play Alyx this bad via a PC.

Ar¢tos

Good luck playing games where blinking is a mechanic without eye tracking.

People like you are the problem with pc gaming. "Why optimize when you can brute force?" No wonder consoles get much more from the hardware.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

People like you are the problem with pc gaming. "Why optimize when you can brute force?" No wonder consoles get much more from the hardware.
Blinking as a mechanic is going to be an edge case. And by brute force I think he means why do eye tracking when you can just use DLSS (or FSR.)

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

And what PCVR game uses that?

Are you stupid or something? Peoples aren’t playing PSVR2 games on PC, they’re just using the headset. I can’t recall a game that uses that outside of maybe a few sidequest demos here and there. Oculus pro had this feature and it’s almost 99% useless.

It’ll come, but it’s not a feature on PCVR even worth discussing about. PC have fixed foveated rendering for the longest time if performance is a concern.

Last edited:
I don't think I'm quite following why people didn't just get a cheap Quest 2 years ago if they wanted to play Alyx this bad via a PC.
It only cost 500.00$, which is half the cost of the Quest pro, but still has better specs besides not being wireless or having fresnel lenses.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It only cost 500.00$, which is half the cost of the Quest pro, but still has better specs besides not being wireless or having fresnel lenses.

I guess I'm just not understanding the Venn diagram of people who:

- Have a PC capable of running Alyx well
- Are clearly interested in VR
- Are clearly interested in Alyx
- Somehow haven't already played it on a headset nearly half the price years ago

But obviously that's going to apply to a few people that only just got into VR, I guess.

nemiroff

Gold Member
And what PCVR game uses that?

Are you stupid or something? Peoples aren’t playing PSVR2 games on PC, they’re just using the headset. I can’t recall a game that uses that outside of maybe a few sidequest demos here and there. Oculus pro had this feature and it’s almost 99% useless.

It’ll come, but it’s not a feature on PCVR even worth discussing about.
Some people would be surprised to hear how little eyetracking saves on actual performance compared to fixed foveated rendering (and they'll probably start argue against FFR now because they don't know about the natural physical properties of lenses). Some people don't even know there were PCVR headsets with eyetracking before PSVR2.

Analysis of the Quest Pro. FFR vs ETFR:

Dm1Nkzq.png

(In case you're wondering; a more agressive foveation map = worse image quality when the "resolution filter" is lower than the lense properties)

So that means there's between 5% to 9% performance improvement when using eyetracked foveated rendering. (Disclaimer: this is for the Quest Pro, but I see no reason to not apply it to other headsets with fresnel lenses).

Now, keep in mind that Fresnel is somewhat outdated and with the incoming pancake lens headsets with a bigger sweet spot there could be bigger gains for ETFR when trying to keep the image quality intact over a bigger area of the lenses (which basically means that you need to turn to a less aggressive resolution filter).

Last edited:

Keihart

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

Not sure why anyone on PCVR would pick this over the upcoming Quest 3
Quest 3 doesnt have eye tracking so no foveated reendering and doesnt have a dedicated cable either, im not saying its shit , but not really the next gen Quest you would hope for.
imo, they should of focused on variable focus and eye tracking.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Neat if it will have the hardware features.

Haptics
Adaptive Triggers
HMD Rumble
Eye-tracking
Finger-Touch Detection

If not, then not so much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom