• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 is picked up as a 1080p second screen when plugged to a PC. Controllers recognized too.

Tams

I mean, yeah?

The headset is a display, and the controllers are controllers. Doesn't mean anything towards actual support of VR.
While the Verge are useless, lazy fucks, what this does show is that it won't be an absolute nightmare for modders to get working on PC.

Tams

Not a fan of a giant booty or giant women sorry. doesn't help that I do not like horror games too lol.
Prince Harry GIF

Funny, I was told the other day in another thread that it would be IMPOSSIBLE for this to work on PC because it wasn't designed for PC. Turns out all you need now is a driver that could've been made by Sony but instead it will be made by some guy on the internet.

imagine-that-spellwizard.gif
Yeh I don't know how anyone ever came to that conclusion. Every hardware can be made to work with some drivers. Problem is/was of course there that Sony never made the drivers for PSVR1 so it was not super simple to make it work on PC.

ahtlas7

Sony should take notice of the demand for PC support and make it official. I’m only buying when it’s a simple plug and play solution. Damn thing is to expensive for me to track down partial operable drivers.

Reallink

Official support is more likely to come in the form of a sony non-playstation branded headset. And it would be expensive because they'd have to make a profit. An hp reverb is $450. An index is 1000. Vive pro 2 1,200. Quest pro 1,500. XR elite 1,100.

PSVR2 is most similar to the Reverb, no stand alone processing, large CE manufacturing company benefitting from economy of scale. They're definitely not losing money at $550. The blowback from attempting to rebadge/reskin PSVR2 at double the price for PC would be one of the largest and most universally negative PR shitstorms in gaming history. There's no chance of that ever happening. Official support will come if they ever decide to port their VR games to PC.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
PSVR2 is most similar to the Reverb, no stand alone processing, large CE manufacturing company benefitting from economy of scale. They're definitely not losing money at $550.
Reverb G2 Omnicept, the one with eye tracking and other similar (if nowhere near 1:1) features (and much simpler controllers, standard WMR from however many years ago, just some buttons, triggers and rumble basically), launched at $1250, from the small company HP. It's too bad they didn't know about this economy of scale deal so that they'd order to manufacture over double the stock and get it for less than half price so basically end up with the same cost for more product they can sell for less and achieve success on PC being the best by a mile in the mainstream/budget tier 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yeh I don't know how anyone ever came to that conclusion. Every hardware can be made to work with some drivers. Problem is/was of course there that Sony never made the drivers for PSVR1 so it was not super simple to make it work on PC.
At least it gives me some comfort that there is a chance for this to be compatible at one point. I've preordered mine last week because I was planning to anyway but it would be really dope to be able to use it on PC.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I bet Sony will at some point officially support psvr2 on pc. It just makes sense with the low vr user base and Sony supporting pc now it’s a good way to push the product.

mxbison

Yeah but PSVR1 was also completely different tech with it's breakout box and camera tracking.

I'd be surprised if it takes longer than 3 days for someone to get PSVR2 working on PC.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yeah but PSVR1 was also completely different tech with it's breakout box and camera tracking.

I'd be surprised if it takes longer than 3 days for someone to get PSVR2 working on PC.
Yeah. I’ve said when the specs were released that it wouldn’t take long to get this working on PC.

Rudius

The guy that made the driver to use PSVR with Steam VR, iVRy, said this on Reddit:

"Yes, it is promising. I will be getting one next week, with the view to making it work on PC. Obviously, no promises can be made, and who knows how hard it will be or how long it will take, but I will be combining my knowledge of PSVR1 with hardware hacking (USB protocol analysers etc.). It's possible that it may take a custom cable for PSVR2 to work on PCs that don't have USB-C ports with DP-Alt mode and sufficient power delivery.

Please be patient. There will be a *lot* of noise regarding everyone's speculation in the coming weeks/months."

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
PSVR2 is most similar to the Reverb, no stand alone processing, large CE manufacturing company benefitting from economy of scale. They're definitely not losing money at $550. The blowback from attempting to rebadge/reskin PSVR2 at double the price for PC would be one of the largest and most universally negative PR shitstorms in gaming history. There's no chance of that ever happening. Official support will come if they ever decide to port their VR games to PC.

Microsoft did this with the Kinect and Kinect 2.0.
Sony could do the same, probably not x2 price, but at a premium with different firmware and out the box drivers.....but clever users will just buy the Playstation branded one, and install drivers unofficial or otherwise.

Even dualsense unofficial drivers came well before official.

BlackTron

If this was completely working on PC I would get the headset before even the PS5. My only VR is still PSVR1 that I got used to hold me over for the real shit. I really didn't want to buy Facebook's product and holding out for PSVR2 seemed like the best value in the end. I don't need total plug and play or official support, but the instant it actually works without too many caveats my credit card will fly out.

Tams

And you just answered your own question on why it doesn't work for PC. You are not even a PS5 user, you are not their customer. You are taking advantage of a subsidy for Playstation customers.

I'm not even a PlayStation player and I can see that that's the case.

Sony aren't making a VR headset for PC. If they were, they have enter fresh new line in InZone to put it. No, this is partly to get people to buy PS5s.

BlackTron

And you just answered your own question on why it doesn't work for PC. You are not even a PS5 user, you are not their customer. You are taking advantage of a subsidy for Playstation customers.
I'm not even a PlayStation player and I can see that that's the case.

Sony aren't making a VR headset for PC. If they were, they have enter fresh new line in InZone to put it. No, this is partly to get people to buy PS5s.

I know guys -I never implied that Sony owed me a cheap VR headset or anything.

Just that if it worked on PC I'd go out and get it. Which might be very soon.

They could bind a sony-direct purchase and the PC-software to a PSN account and a registered PS5 or whatever if that would be really important. If it is even subsidized with that prize and 120 displays becoming quite common, any sell might profit them, and they might just prefer it pushing PS5s too.
But very much like I would not buy a TV just for one console, or a wheel for one platform. PS VR is just an accessory and a subplattform, and accessories better work with other platforms or they are far less compelling to me. The first one was alright because the alternatives were as bad in that regard, but this second device should basically be marketed by Sony TV and not Sony Playstation.

Ar¢tos

Ugh... PC users are gonna make me buy this before planned, because if it becomes supported on pc and sales increase without revenue from ps store Sony will certainly increase the price in the future.

Crayon

Wow. You don't know dick about dick.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
We'll see about that, PSVR1 didn't exactly set the world on fire or make VR mainstream and it was cheaper.

No it didn't. But it did bring more awareness to VR and it also gave millions of people the vision of what VR gaming could look and feel like. VR gaming would be in a worse spot had PSVR never existed. If Jim Ryan plays this right, PSVR2 could open that door even more.

- A decent percentage of PSVR games were tech demos and experiences. Batman VR comes to mind. It was like 90 minutes long, but it was a good introduction to what VR gaming could look like.
- PSVR had terrible controllers
- PSVR was powered by an OG PS4 that was weak. It only had 1.8 TFs of power and weak Jaguar cores.
- PSVR had 75 cables and a breakout box
- PSVR was too hard for PCVR devs to convert their game over to it. Some did it, but it wasn't enough due to some of the issues above.

None of these are issues now with PSVR2! Jim and the rest of the Sony execs need to play this the right way. The foundation is now set. 2015 was the Atari stage of VR. 2023 for VR could be the NES times for gaming in virtual reality. We should be out of the VR ghetto now. Now it's up to the execs to open their checkbooks and the creators to create VR greatness!

How many PC's in the wild are equivalent to the power of XSX or PS5? That's before we factor in John Carmack's words

How many of those PC's have the software and power required to allow the PC and PSVR2 headset to run as efficiently as a PS5+PSVR2, including variables in design, extra OS overhead and background tasks?

Would that number of PC's justify the work required to port the PSVR2 over to the PC?

Or, is the port begging by PC players a waste of hope and energy?

It is interesting to see a group of people that are so proud of purchasing $1500+ graphics cards, not splash out $1100 on a console and a headset, not even as a gaming station for a second room.

Reallink

Reverb G2 Omnicept, the one with eye tracking and other similar (if nowhere near 1:1) features (and much simpler controllers, standard WMR from however many years ago, just some buttons, triggers and rumble basically), launched at $1250, from the small company HP. It's too bad they didn't know about this economy of scale deal so that they'd order to manufacture over double the stock and get it for less than half price so basically end up with the same cost for more product they can sell for less and achieve success on PC being the best by a mile in the mainstream/budget tier 🤦‍♂️

The Omnicept is 2 years old, is an enterprise/business product, and is priced as such. It would be lucky to have sold low 10s of thousands of units, so you're orders a manitude removed from PSVR2s launch allication alone. The consumer G2 for its time (2 and a half years ago) was as or more advanced than PSVR2 is today, and was not priced exorbitantly, despite also producing and selling a fraction of PSVR2s launch allocation.

Last edited:

Rudius

How many PC's in the wild are equivalent to the power of XSX or PS5? That's before we factor in John Carmack's words

How many of those PC's have the software and power required to allow the PC and PSVR2 headset to run as efficiently as a PS5+PSVR2, including variables in design, extra OS overhead and background tasks?

Would that number of PC's justify the work required to port the PSVR2 over to the PC?

It is interesting to see a group of people that are so proud of purchasing $1500+ graphics cards, not splash out $1100 on a console and a headset, not even as a gaming station for a second room.
Having PSVR2 compatible with PC would be a nice bonus for the buyers, even if not fully integrated like on PS5. There is no Oled HDR headset for the PC right now.

I think compatibility won't come from Sony, not anytime soon. Our best bet is that we can use it unofficially.

Last edited:
Having PSVR2 compatible with PC would be a nice bonus for the buyers, even if not fully integrated like on PS5. There is no Oled HDR headset for the PC right now.

I think compatibility it won't come from Sony, not anytime soon. Our best bet is that we can use it unofficially.
Having PSVR2 on PC means degrading the experience on console, simply because Sony et al have to code/produce for more than one system. Sony et al can squeeze out every last drop of power from the PS5, knowing that there aren't other configurations to worry about.

IF, they were to bring it to PC market, what at the target specs? Mid-range? High-End PC's? Should the SSd throughput be a gate keeper for PCs or would it be Ok to drop the throughput to gain more PC users?

There are many headsets on PC that work on PC. There is only PSVR2 on console.

Rudius

Having PSVR2 on PC means degrading the experience on console, simply because Sony et al have to code/produce for more than one system. Sony et al can squeeze out every last drop of power from the PS5, knowing that there aren't other configurations to worry about.

IF, they were to bring it to PC market, what at the target specs? Mid-range? High-End PC's? Should the SSd throughput be a gate keeper for PCs or would it be Ok to drop the throughput to gain more PC users?

There are many headsets on PC that work on PC. There is only PSVR2 on console.
I just don't want to buy another headset for PC if I can use the perfectly fine PSVR2 I'm getting for PS5.

Crayon

I just don't want to buy another headset for PC if I can use the perfectly fine PSVR2 I'm getting for PS5.

I've totally thought of getting a second headset (have psvr, was thinking about an older used set for pc).

And I held off because A) I was pretty sure psvr2 was going to end up the best thing you could get for whatever money B) Hoping hard as I can that someone gets it working on pc.

reinking

Gold Member
I do not think Sony owes any of us PSVR2 on PC. They created the product for a specific user base. That being said, if it worked on PC with some kind of switcher between PC and PS5, I would be very very happy.

skit_data

I still think it’s a big mistake that Sony simply won’t make PSVR2 PC compatible themselves, I could see it become popular among VR entusiasts on PC due to HDR alone.

Crayon

The thing a lot of people are missing here is... reality.

Sony probably isn't interested in selling higher numbers of headsets just for the sake of it. We have to remember on the forum, we are mostly talking out of our asses about not just projected success but what success means. A lot of people here think that the ultimate goal is a pissing contest against meta for number of headset sold. The big game companies are in the business of selling software. It's always been that way. Making this PC compatible does absolutely nothing for them except invite a tsunami of headaches due to the technical support they would owe their customers.

edit: jesus christ voice to text

Last edited:

Killer8

Is Carmack's quote even still relevant?

Round about when he made that quote, consoles had moved to x86 last gen. So just in terms of architecture, things certainly changed for consoles in a big way compared to the previous generations (where what he said might have once been true).

Consoles for the last couple of generations have basically been customized AMD parts in a box running a low level API. Hell, the Series X just utilizes a similar (the same?) DX12 Ultimate API found on PC. Carmack's quote came before DX12 and also Vulkan were even out on PC to offer lower level access to the hardware. There has been a lot of coalescence in the console and PC hardware spaces that Carmack has not been around for.

It's taboo of course to try to directly compare a PC GPU with a console GPU, particularly when it comes to TFLOPS, because there are so many other things to think about. But the napkin math (as this video puts it) shows that we can get results on PC GPUs that fall broadly in line with what we'd expect just going by the 'on paper' numbers Carmack talks about:

It's all theoretical of course, but we're just not seeing a 2x gain across a range of GPUs. At most, it's a few % points difference between the TFLOPS number quoted for the GPU and the PS5. If your GPU has 75% of the TFLOPS performance of a PS5, you will probably get around 75% performance, give or take 5% in either direction.

Again though - not 2x. And important to also recognize the Death Stranding comparison is only based on rasterized performance. Then again, so was Carmack's statement at the time.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
We should, but we aren't, because both Oculus and Sony are more interested in fragmenting the VR market than expanding it.

This is true. That's why I was saying that it's up to the execs to make VR work now. The tech is there.

The thing a lot of people are missing here is... reality.

Sony probably isn't interested in selling higher numbers of headsets just for the sake of it. We have to remember on the forum, we are mostly talking out of our asses about not just projected success but what success means. A lot of people here think that the ultimate goal is a pissing contest against meta for number of headset sold. The big game companies are in the business of selling software. It's always been that way. Making this PC compatible does absolutely nothing for them except invite a tsunami of headaches due to the technical support they would owe their customers.

edit: jesus christ voice to text

This is where Jim Ryan will need to play it smart and play the long game, instead of being short-sighted and stupid. So far, Jim has been playing the long game for Playstation. His huge interest in PC is part of that. Allowing PSVR2 to unofficially be usable on PC should also be part of those plans.

It only helps the overall VR market, which in turn helps PSVR2 and a potential PSVR3. If the overall VR market does grow in the next 4-5 years, there will be no PSVR3.

SHA

Are you seriously trying to judge the image quality of a 2D trailer of a VR game???
Pixels are Pixels, diluted pictures trick your eyes, there's a difference, it's like changing the perception from your eyes when wearing glasses, doesn't change what you see except worsen your view in the long run.

Top Bottom