• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

53.6 million Xbox 360 (MS FY11 Q3 report)

Syringe

I really hope this hasn't been posted already, double and triple searched. Otherwise, mock me, close thread, and so on.

Anyway, here is Microsoft Q3 report, now we have both Microsofts and Sonys numbers. Sony is supposed to be 50 million, and Microsoft was 50.8 million in the beginning of the year. With Q3 sales of 2.7 million, it should be a total of 53.5 now.

Redmond, Wash. – Apr. 28, 2011 – Microsoft Corp. today announced third-quarter revenue of $16.43 billion for the quarter ended Mar. 31, 2011, a 13% increase from the same period of the prior year. Operating income, net income, and diluted earnings per share for the quarter were $5.71 billion, $5.23 billion, and $0.61 per share, which represented increases of 10%, 31%, and 36%, respectively, when compared with the prior year period. Diluted earnings per share included a $0.05 tax benefit primarily related to an agreement with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service to settle a portion of their audit of tax years 2004 to 2006.

“We delivered strong financial results despite a mixed PC environment, which demonstrates the strength and breadth of our businesses," said Peter Klein, chief financial officer at Microsoft. "Consumers are purchasing Office 2010, Xbox and Kinect at tremendous rates, and businesses of all sizes are purchasing Microsoft platforms and applications."

Microsoft Business Division revenue grew 21% year-over-year. Since its release last spring, Office 2010 has become the fastest-selling version of Office in history, and the integrated innovation with SharePoint, Exchange, Lync and Dynamics CRM is driving significant growth for the division.

Server & Tools revenue grew 11% year-over-year, the fourth consecutive quarter of double-digit growth. Strong business adoption of Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2008 R2, and System Center are driving record revenue and margin expansion.

Windows 7 remains the fastest selling operating system in history with 350 million licenses sold. Revenue for the segment was down 4% in the third quarter, in line with the PC trends, excluding prior year launch impact.

Online Services Division revenue grew 14% year-over-year primarily driven by increases in search revenue. Bing's US search share increased to 13.9% this quarter.

Entertainment & Devices Division grew 60% year-over-year, fueled by Kinect for Xbox 360, the fastest-selling consumer electronics device in history, continued strong Xbox 360 console sales and growth of Xbox Live.

"We delivered strong third quarter revenue from our business customers, driven by outstanding performance from Windows Server, SQL database, SharePoint, Exchange, Lync and increasingly our cloud services," said Kevin Turner, chief operating officer at Microsoft. "Office had another huge quarter, again exceeding everyone's expectations, and the addition of Office 365 will make our cloud productivity solutions even more compelling. We continue to see strong adoption of our cloud-based services among the Fortune 500."
Business Outlook

Microsoft reaffirms operating expense guidance of $26.9 billion to $27.3 billion for the full year ending June 30, 2011. Microsoft also offers preliminary fiscal year 2012 operating expense guidance of 3% to 5% growth from the mid-point of fiscal year 2011 guidance, or $28.0 billion to $28.6 billion.

2vx2ebt.jpg

FrankT

Road said:
53.5 million.

It's 53.5

It was 50.8M before this. 50.8+2.7M.

This compares quite well to the 1.36M for the Wii during the quarter.

Wasn't too far off for my estimate of not too far off 3M for the quarter.

With $250M operating profit for the division for Q3 that means they are close to $1.3B for the fiscal year. Somewhere around 10.4M for Kinect so far.

Depending on when they launch the next xbox I still figure between 80-100M before it is all said and done.

JWong

Banned
Windows Phone. ~laughs~

The head start is sure diminishing. Quite surprised there wasn't a greater gap due to the Kinect boasting of sales.

[Nintex]

onQ123 said:
Nice & people said Kinect would fail,
Don delivered, I don't know how he did it but he managed to cash big on what everyone assumed would be a $500 million marketing disaster.

Elios83

The total is 53.5m.
Good result for Microsoft.

Sony reports their datas on May 26, we know that they have passed 50m though.

Averon

Elios83 said:
The total is 53.5m.
Good result for Microsoft.

Sony reports their datas on May 26, we know that they have passed 50m though.

ugh.
A month from now? They usually release theirs a week after MS does.

onQ123 said:
Nice & people said Kinect would fail,

I didn't, I just hoped it would.

Congrats to MS I guess. I'm going to buy another 360 eventually for gears 3 and bf3 to play with the friends, but I wish they would announce more non kinect 360 exclusive games that aren't halo/forza/fable.

Huff

Banned
mxgt said:
Has it gotten any software since launching?

Fixed.

Some of the Japanese stuff is probably going to come out this year. And expect a decent game or two from MS.

Wow, I still need to get Office 2010, but Windows 7? The fastest selling OS to date, impressive M$...

But for games...grew 60%? I have to wonder when people claim they want them to make more first party games...they dont really need to if they are doing this well. Congrats.

RETROEX said:
so the gap between ps3 and x360 actually increased, it was less tan 2 millions right?

It has never been that close. Its gone from 7 million, to 6.5, to 5 and so on. Pretty soon Sony will be tapping Microsoft on the shoulder at E3. When Mattrick turns around to see who did it, Tretton will run along the stage, then skid along on his knees like an 8 year old boy at a wedding disco.

mysticwhip said:
I can't wait to see the PS3 message boards on GameFaqs when/if the PS3 surpasses the 360.

the fact the ps3 isn't greater than the ps2 (which was a greater success than ps1) will always mean the ps3 is a failure to me. Im a primary pc gamer but this has been such a swift kick in the crotch from what we thought coming into it in 2005

Galvanise_ said:
It has never been that close. Its gone from 7 million, to 6.5, to 5 and so on. Pretty soon Sony will be tapping Microsoft on the shoulder at E3. When Mattrick turns around to see who did it, Tretton will run along the stage, then skid along on his knees like an 8 year old boy at a wedding disco.
that would beat out wii2 as the reason this E3 owned.
ZombieSupaStar said:
the fact the ps3 isn't greater than the ps2 (which was a greater success than ps1) will always mean the ps3 is a failure to me. Im a primary pc gamer but this has been such a swift kick in the crotch from what we thought coming into it in 2005
isn't the ps2 at like 140-160 million, something like that. Anything but that is a failure to you?

Dedication Through Light said:
I have to wonder when people claim they want them to make more first party games...they dont really need to if they are doing this well. Congrats.

But if they make more they could potentially be making more surely? Still I see your point.

Nice results, im sure Don is swimming in his office in the money Kinect has made.

mxgt

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
Pretty soon Sony will be tapping Microsoft on the shoulder at E3. When Mattrick turns around to see who did it, Tretton will run along the stage, then skid along on his knees like an 8 year old boy at a wedding disco.

That would be pretty much the greatest thing ever.

Carl

Galvanise_ said:

I'd pay good money to see that

Galvanise_ said:

If that actually happened, Gaf would 500 error and never recover.

Numbers are pretty decent for MS, so interested now to see how close Sony has closed the gap.

Man

-Pyromaniac- said:
isn't the ps2 at like 140-160 million, something like that. Anything but that is a failure to you?
Crossed 150million in January I believe. I wonder how many years it will take before we see a console beat those numbers (probably never as consoles will be replaced by built in TV services or something).

Appollowexx said:
Numbers are pretty decent for MS, so interested now to see how close Sony has closed the gap.
Well, that crazy forum moment will happen sometime in 2011. Probably after a price drop to $199.

Elios83

Averon said:
ugh.
A month from now? They usually release theirs a week after MS does.

Yes they come late this quarter but the earthquake has messed things up for a lot of japanese companies so that its difficult for them to give a forecast for the next fiscal year since they have to evaluate components supply, factories operability and things like that.
A few companies have decided not to give forecasts because of the japanese events and just release the fiscal results.

Galvanise_ said:
In the image formed in my head, Tretton is wearing sunglasses with only his underwear on lol

FrankT

They are at 11.8M for the fiscal year beating their best of 11.1M with a quarter left still. Likely will hit around 14M or so for the fiscal year.

Elios83

Arpharmd B said:
I thought Sony just reported 50 million shipped consoles.

That makes the gap 3.5 million.

They said they crossed the 50m mark, but considering that Nintendo said that they actually sold to customers 2,5m units in Q1 without counting a lot of countries in......I'd say that wth the shipped numbers there's a good chance they have hit their target of 15m for the year with 2.8m shipped for the quarter, so the gap would slightly decrease to 2.8m.

Karak

Despite the RROD fiasco and such MS has knocked it out of the park now twice. Once just with the 360, and again now with the Kinect. Like or hate what they offer, I still give them a good deal of kudo's for their success and sales.

So what was that 50 million shipped number Sony recently released? So their actual quarterly number is going to be higher, and the gap is even smaller than 3.5 million?

It would be quite a comeback if Sony did actually end up outselling Microsoft. Can't underestimate the power of the Playstation brand name.

- Microsoft said that 11.2 million Xbox 360 units were sold during FY 2008-09

KPI_thumb.jpg

Xbox 360 Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales (Unit:Million)
Code:
Hardware Sales   Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn     FY       LTD

FY 2005/06        -        1.5      1.7      1.8      5.0      5.0

FY 2006/07        1.0      4.4      0.5      0.7      6.6      11.6    

FY 2007/08        1.8      4.3      1.3      1.3      8.7      20.3    

FY 2008/09        2.2      6.0      1.7      1.2      11.2     31.5     

FY 2009/10        2.1      5.2      1.5      1.5      10.3     41.8

FY 2010/11        2.8      6.3      2.7       -       11.8     53.6
Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales (Unit:Million)
Code:
        (Ja-Mr) 2011        (Ja-Mr) 2010

360        0.0                1.5
Wii        1.36               3.48
PS3         -                 2.2
PS2         -                 1.7

mysticwhip said:
In the image formed in my head, Tretton is wearing sunglasses with only his underwear on lol

My alternate imaginary situation is Don receiving the tap on the shoulder, and when he turns around, he sees Tretton wearing a bald cap, giving him the finger before he delivers a stone cold stunner to him. He then comes to the front of the stage, Kaz throws him a few beers and he cracks them open over Mattricks twitching body.

That one is funnier to me, but way over the top.

[Nintex]

You know when PSN is down when a 'Microsoft fiscal year results' thread turns into a 'Sony is almost there!' cheerleading contest.

FrankT

Parmenides said:
- Microsoft said that 11.2 million Xbox 360 units were sold during FY 2008-09

KPI_thumb.jpg

Xbox 360 Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales (Unit:Million)
Code:
Hardware Sales   Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn     FY       LTD

FY 2005/06        -        1.5      1.7      1.8      5.0      5.0

FY 2006/07        1.0      4.4      0.5      0.7      6.6      11.6    

FY 2007/08        1.8      4.3      1.3      1.3      8.7      20.3    

FY 2008/09        2.2      6.0      1.7      1.2      11.2     31.5     

FY 2009/10        2.1      5.2      1.5      1.5      10.3     41.8

FY 2010/11        2.8      6.3      2.7       -       11.8     53.6
Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales (Unit:Million)
Code:
        (Ja-Mr) 2011        (Ja-Mr) 2010

360        0.0                1.5
Wii        1.36               3.48
PS3         -                 2.2
PS2         -                 1.7

Error in your math. Fiscal 09 line adds to 11.1.

Arpharmd B said:
So what was that 50 million shipped number Sony recently released? So their actual quarterly number is going to be higher, and the gap is even smaller than 3.5 million?

It would be quite a comeback if Sony did actually end up outselling Microsoft. Can't underestimate the power of the Playstation brand name.

They reported cumulative sales of 50M with a few days left before the end of March which would be at that point 2.1M. It would need to break 2.7M to bring it down off the 2.9M shipment gap that exists today. Looking at last year and actual sale through this year I'm not sure where that will end up at.

Arpharmd B said:

I'm actually surprised since the brand name isn't as big as it used to be. Sony could make a serious comeback next generation.

Verendus

Banned
Good numbers. Kinect is doing a great job really. Both on its own and for the actual console.

Any information on software sales in terms of units?

RETROEX said:
so the gap between ps3 and x360 actually increased, it was less tan 2 millions right?
I think it was around 2.9 million or something. Definitely not less than 2 million.

I think when Sony reports in, their LTD will be around 50.8. Give or take 0.1 off that number. They've sold the most consoles in the first quarter when including the major markets so that bodes well for them.

ZombieSupaStar said:
you frighten me. I don't think consoles as we know them will ever reach that high (individually speaking). That was a product of so many things, to reach that level of success. Pretty unfair to expect the same.

Top Bottom