• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New big Shining game coming...

Ricker

Hopefully it`s a proper Shining Force,one of my favorite SRPG series...

"It's been ten years since the Shining series was re-invented," Sawada commented. "Currently, we're preparing a title that sums up the whole series and should provide an answer to users' curiosity. I can't give details yet, but I'd like to reveal it before we go too far into the future."

Please be SRPG SF game...

http://www.1up.com/news/shining-game-announcement-coming

Aru

I love Shining Force but I consider the series dead. SF Feather is stuck in Japan forever and it was the only SRPG SF game since SFIII-3 :(

Preparing myself for disappointment.

hope it's better than the last one.

i liked the demo for Neo but it's something like $80 on amazon new.

maybe one day when my backlog is depleted i'll pick it up used. =\

Teknoman

Come on turn based Shining Force SRPG! Still think it would be amazing to see Shining Force meet Valkyira Chronicles 1 in terms of style, music, and gameplay.

Wonder what happened to that save shining force campaign...

Mikey Jr.

The series died after 3.

All this other garbage since then has just been raping the Shining Force name.

Strong words, but the destruction of this franchise is truly a sad thing.

Was expecting something else.

406813865.gif

I'll see myself out.

Aru

sechsterangriff said:
Were NEO and Exia any good? I don't remember them getting a PAL release :(

NEO wasn't bad but not really great either.
The last Shining game released in PAL was Shining Soul 2 IIRC, and the last SRPG Shining Force GBA.

Shining Soul I & II were probably my favorite and only decent action RPGs on the GBA. Day after day of glorious loot hunting. Hell it was as shallow as anything but there was some lovely spritework, good music and overall they were both a blast to play.

Teknoman

"We redeveloped and resurrected the name as Sega shifted from hardware to software, and the goal for the games I've worked on is to target a large swath of the userbase and do something that hasn't been done before with the series. That's still the direction I take today."

Aww man...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Serenade said:
You go too far, sir.
No. Sega goes too far. I'd kill for a real Shining Force successor. Shining Force Feather looked promising, but of course we didn't get that one. Knowing Sega, they probably conditionally tied a SFF release to some arbitrary metric such as Shinen the Wanderer's performance at DS retail.

Shining Soul series wasn't terrible. Shining Tears was. Shining Force Neo/Exa were actually damn fun, but of course, hardly Shining Force in any way.

Mikey Jr.

Teknoman said:
"We redeveloped and resurrected the name as Sega shifted from hardware to software, and the goal for the games I've worked on is to target a large swath of the userbase and do something that hasn't been done before with the series. That's still the direction I take today."

Aww man...

Don't worry.

We'll get another flop and it'll be business like usual.

You know, I honestly wouldn't be against them just taking the blueprints from SF1 and/or II and just going from there. It wouldn't be the most revolutionary game, mind, but it would be keeping a formula that worked, and worked well.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Tsuyoshi Sawada said:
...and the goal for the games I've worked on is to target a large swath of the userbase and do something that hasn't been done before with the series. That's still the direction I take today."

No Force then. Nothing to see here, folks.

Boerseun

Banned
What was the title of the Wii game in development at Neverland? Shining Force Gear? That was ages ago though, and it never was officially announced as far as I can remember.

DiscoJer

Teknoman said:

Monster Hunter clone? That would be my guess

DiscoJer said:
Monster Hunter clone? That would be my guess

How in the world would that work in the context of a Shining Force game? I can't see it at all, might as well make it a kart racer then.

I wouldn't mind if they tried implementing a battle system inspired by Valkyria Chronicles, though.

Mikey Jr.

Can someone tell me why they haven't created a proper Shining Force since SF3?

Like, honest question here.

-Do they think an SRPG won't sell?
-They think they can't live up to the originals, so they keep creating these spinoffs?

I honestly want to know what the motivation is behind actively ignoring everything that made Shining Force, Shining Force.

Wilsongt

Mikey Jr. said:
Can someone tell me why they haven't created a proper Shining Force since SF3?

Like, honest question here.

-Do they think an SRPG won't sell?
-They think they can't live up to the originals, so they keep creating these spinoffs?

I honestly want to know what the motivation is behind actively ignoring everything that made Shining Force, Shining Force.

Shining Force Feather says hello, somewhat... But Flight Plan... Lol

the only way this kind of game makes sense anymore is on handhelds. in fact, i'd put it on iOS because the control scheme would work really well. then you could make it multiplayer and people could play it like chess. of course, i don't have an iphone, so maybe this game already exists.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
PatrickLyons said:
the only way this kind of game makes sense anymore is on handhelds.
What kind of game would that be? Did they announce the genre?

And if you mean turn based strategy or strategy rpg and such, eh, they work just great on home consoles and even PC (in their more Western form) too.

And why would they only be able to add multiplayer if it was on iOS? Not that multiplayer is what most people want from such titles.

Fire Emblem was great on the Cube. Valkyria Chronicles great on the PS3. A new Shining Force 3 style on a home console would be glorious. They are in fact JRPGs after all (they don't even limit exploration and such like other franchises like Fire Emblem and Tactics Ogre and the like) they just happen to have more involving combat modes.

Unless you mean sales wise because they've sort of become niche these days, like pretty much anything that requires more thinking than its average brethen, instead of go for instant gratification. But then I don't know why you'd prefer it on iOS instead of something like the 3DS or NGP (remember, those have touch controls also to command your units with). They'd likely give it a much lesser budget than even the average portable game if they were to sell it on iOS for the usual pricing.

Then again nobody has gone all out for such a game on home systems in quite a while (possibly since SF3's generation, with the likes of Final Fantasy Tactics on competing systems - edit: ops, I forgot things like the Front Mission series which continued in the last gen), outside pure strategy series like Civ, so who knows, with some more flashy looks they could become a hit too like normal JRPGs can. The home system Fire Emblem games while pretty damn nice didn't exactly make anyone's jaw drop at first glance.

PatrickLyons said:
the only way this kind of game makes sense anymore is on handhelds. in fact, i'd put it on iOS because the control scheme would work really well. then you could make it multiplayer and people could play it like chess. of course, i don't have an iphone, so maybe this game already exists.

I think it could work just fine on downloadable game services, and it it would be successful, perhaps it could open the door for a proper big budget entry.

Alas, it will never happen.

IrishNinja

Shining in the Darkness 2!
cause i never got Force 2 in the day, and 3 didn't finish over here (i think there's a fan translation though?)

Shining Force was my first rpg! I really hope they provide a worthy successor to that and the second one, although I can't say I expect it.

zoner said:
I liked the PS2 Shining games.
Sunglasses of dealing with it equipped

That's fine, it's just that they were not Shining Force games. They should've used the Shining moniker, as they used to for all other non-SRPG entries in the franchise.

Alextended said:
What kind of game would that be? Did they announce the genre?

And if you mean turn based strategy or strategy rpg and such, eh, they work just great on home consoles and even PC (in their more Western form) too.

And why would they only be able to add multiplayer if it was on iOS? Not that multiplayer is what most people want from such titles.

I meant sales-wise and profit-wise. I guess if they decided to take away all the strategy and turn-based and huge party-building aspects, then yeah, it might fly on 360 or ps3. We could just re-issue Oblivion but call it Shining Force 4.

But the tactical rpg genre doesn't really have a lot of legs or sense on consoles or PC right now. I'm not saying there aren't good games, but they're awfully niche, and there's no way you're selling over a million on something like that.

As for why I think it makes the most sense on iOS, three reasons.

First, Shining force controls are mucho simple and not twitchy in the slightest, so not having buttons wouldn't really matter. Also, it's not a franchise or genre where graphics are especially important, so it's make more sense as a DS game than a 3DS game, and it'd fit in well with the presentation level expected of iOS games.

Second, I don't know what online gaming is like on the 3ds or on the new psp2 or ngp, but iPhone is basically the perfect little platform for playing asynchronous strategy games. You make a move, then wait, maybe an hour or more, for the other guy to make a move. Rinse, repeat. Let's be honest, waiting for another player to move all 15-20 of his little soldiers, cast his spells, use his items, etc, would be mucho dull. It just wouldn't make any sense as a console game where you're sitting there waiting for the other guy. I've seen games like Battle Bugs do it in interesting ways by using a timer to keep you moving, but speed and tactical rpgs don't mix well. Anyone who has played multiplayer civilization knows what i'm talking about.

Third, you've got a freaking HUGE player base of people who are already used to playing non-rushed games where they can put in 4-5 minutes at a time. The army of people who spend their time playing scrabble knockoffs will surely be more likely to get into a game like Shining Force than will the CoD klansmen types on Xbox Live. It helps that SF has always been kindof cute, though not quite to the level of dragon quest, and it might prove to be popular with girls if done right since the franchise has historically been pretty easy to get into in a very non-avalon hill kind of way. As the saying goes, it's not complicated but complex.

Top Bottom