• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the Sony hack validate Nintendo's online strategy?

Did a quick search didn't see any threads, but I wanted to get some thoughts.
Does anyone think the recent Sony debacle validates Nintendo's slow rate of online integration? Nintendo has always cited parental and security concerns for its online approach, and the recent Sony hack seems to suggest they were right to be afraid of the online market. Nintendo has publicized their Wii points cards far more than Sony has, and has always kind of done a *wink*Don't put your card online*wink*. I was just thinking I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo mentioned it in their E3 press conference how they've developed their online experience around security and control. Anyone else have thoughts?

EDIT: Adding this in from a later post of mine in the thread to make this clearer.
1. Nintendo has a choice to make, Invest resources in online infrastructure or other areas.
2. They see a number of vulnerabilities in the online area so the DECIDED (aka strategy) to invest in other areas.
3. The areas they invested in proved very popular.
4. One of the concerns which they have publicly mentioned in the past becomes a major media issue after the PSN hacks.
5. Nintendo's decision to invest in other design areas OVER online infrastructure is partially validated because it has become more evident that their concerns were justified and at least a good reason to choose one area of investment over another.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
No, because where Sony and Nintendo have failed others have succeeded.

[Nintex]

It does validate Nintendo's new idea of letting someone else handle their online because they suck at it. We'll just have to wait and see who it is and how much of a free reign they're being given.

MisterHero

Well it validates the reason to not let corporations hold onto your credit card number, and doing that invalidates one way of buying DLC, effectively striking a blow against ALL DLC, MWAHAHAHAAHAHA

Interfectum

brucewaynegretzky said:
It just hasn't been a target yet.

LOL just because some pre-pubescent kids haven't sent out a V for Vendetta photoshop threat doesn't mean Xbox Live hasn't been a major target for hacking. I'm sure there are attempts on their network every day.

MechDX

brucewaynegretzky said:
It just hasn't been a target yet. I don't think Nintendo has anywhere near as much information about me stored away as Xbox, at least partially because they're afraid they'd lose it.

Doesnt matter how much you spin it: Wii online is poorly implemented and a complete mess.

Interfectum said:
LOL just because some pre-pubescent kids haven't sent out a V for Vendetta photoshop threat doesn't mean Xbox Live hasn't been a major target for hacking. I'm sure there are attempts on their network every day.

Do we have any sort of proof that Xbox has significantly better security? I mean I know Sony's had flaws but there was still a multimillion dollar security setup over there. How much better is Xbox? Do we really even know beyond them saying "It's better."

2 online promoters..

One forces you to pay $60/year for their service.

The other has problems maintaining their network security.

The online value proposition so far has clearly been pandering to a certain segment of the industry - the conventional gamers. Only in the last couple of years has that proposition been branching outward into the social arena of facebook, twitter, netflix, etc., but these are added value and not core concepts of a gaming platform, just as playing DVDs was an added value to the PS2.

To the average consumer, it's still difficult to really sell them on the proposition of 'online gaming', so from a general standpoint, Nintendo made the right decision. I have a feeling that the same principle will be true of their HD stance as they bring in this new console, much to the shagrin of the tech-hungry, conventional gamers out there.

Of course, most conventional gamers on a gaming forum will disagree, but that's to be expected.

MechDX said:
Doesnt matter how much you spin it: Wii online is poorly implemented and a complete mess.

I agree that it was poorly done in a design/ui sense, but I don't think doing a more measured approach was necessarily bad. I think Nintendo has pretty consistently said basically "Listen we understand internet capability is a fast growing area in entertainment technology, but we have some serious concerns about security, privacy, and parental oversight, so we're doing the best we can while considering these concerns."

It justifies them not being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But no, it does not justify their crappy jump into online gaming that caused Brawl to be a non-starter for me on Wii.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Interfectum said:
<3

mclem

brucewaynegretzky said:
Do we have any sort of proof that Xbox has significantly better security? I mean I know Sony's had flaws but there was still a multimillion dollar security setup over there. How much better is Xbox? Do we really even know beyond them saying "It's better."

It's been around longer than PSN, and I've not heard of any successful hacks of it. That's the only real benchmark we have available, but it's fairly compelling.

Absence of evidence is, of course, *not* evidence of absence. But it's all we have available to us.

Rolf NB

Wait, so are you saying the Wii shop channel doesn't store my credit card number? It's been a while since I've bought Wii points with a CC, I really don't remember the full details of the process.

mclem said:
It's been around longer than PSN, and I've not heard of any successful hacks of it. That's the only real benchmark we have available, but it's fairly compelling.

Absence of evidence is, of course, *not* evidence of absence. But it's all we have available to us.

So..... no. No would have sufficed.

brucewaynegretzky said:
Not to my knowledge. I like how most people assume this though just because they pay for a service. I am sure there are more than enough capable hackers out there to bring XBL to its knees for a month.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Short answer is no. That being said, no network is 100% safe. If you haven't been hacked to hell, you haven't been a major target.

Kintaro said:
Short answer is no. That being said, no network is 100% safe. If you haven't been hacked to hell, you haven't been a major target.

No network is 100% safe and I am positive that there are much more secure networks than Live that get successfully hacked.

Nintendo doesn't have an online strategy. They've dragged their feet through setting up any real infrastructure because they still haven't figured out a way to protect kids from getting yelled at online, and they lack the dev experience to make competent online content themselves. Their DD store is at best an inconvenience to both consumers and devs, and their storage solutions for content have been a slapdash embarrassment. They've garnered zero good will from online gamers, whereas nearly 100 million people go online using LIVE, PSN, Steam, or Battle.net at this very moment.

So, no, it doesn't validate anything they've done.

StuKen

She's pretty, I should totally go and talk to her. But wait. What if she thinks I'm an idiot? What if she talks to her friends about how much of a cretin I am? What if she posts something on friendface about this ugly freak that she gleefully and cruelly crushed simply because she could. Shit, I better not try. Maybe I am destined to be alone. I should totally kill myself right now. At least that way I know I won't have made a substandard online infrastructure that was going to be the target of riducule from cruel heartless but attractive girls. I really showed them, showed them all.

MechDX said:
Explain XBOX Live.

This. Nintendo's online strategy does not exist.

XBL is the best available on consoles, and that validates putting effort into your service so your base responds. It's easy to use and produces money, that's the strategy that should be followed, not bullshit friend codes.

2San

Kintaro said:
The same reason it took so long for piracy to start on the ps3 AMIRITE?

We've gone full circle here.

Kintaro said:
So what you are saying is that Microsoft has to start operating a uranium enrichment facility?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
2San said:
The same reason it took so long for piracy to start on the ps3 AMIRITE?

We've gone full circle here.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Lostconfused said:
So what you are saying is that Microsoft has to start operating a uranium enrichment facility?

I can't discuss the details of my internal emails good sir. I would thank you for not bringing this up again or your inquiry will be handled by top men.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Nintendo doesn't have an online strategy. They've dragged their feet through setting up any real infrastructure because they still haven't figured out a way to protect kids from getting yelled at online, and they lack the dev experience to make competent online content themselves. Their DD store is at best an inconvenience to both consumers and devs, and their storage solutions for content have been a slapdash embarrassment. They've garnered zero good will from online gamers, whereas nearly 100 million people go online using LIVE, PSN, Steam, or Battle.net at this very moment.

So, no, it doesn't validate anything they've done.

It's funny because I read what you started with and come to a different conclusion. Nintendo realizes the problems with all the idiots on Xbox and PSN and sees a security risk so they tread lightly, that just seems reserved and waiting to see what's best before running out with new tech that could potentially fail. Maybe they don't want to be the pioneers in the online space. That's fine by me. As long as they continue to integrate established technology as they go along. They innovate in other areas. Makes sense to me.

Top Bottom