• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Cafe: What are your hopes?

title_display.jpg

Many people think we'll see an amazing reveal of HD Star Fox for Cafe at E3 in 3 weeks. Perhaps developed by Retro Studios. Maybe by Treasure.

Over the past 7 years Star Fox has skyrocketed in popularity and cultural awareness, thanks partially to this:

gfs_27619_2_23.jpg

...but also due to a new gen of players who have discovered the awesome gameplay, music, graphics and art style of the first two games.

So a new Star Fox game, a true sequel to Star Fox 64, would likely sell like crazy.

What do you want to see in Star Fox Cafe?

first, more epicness like this, plz:

0005147.jpg

my list:

1. Keep it as a combination of on-rails and limited freedom of movement shooter.
2. Arwing and Landmaster, and some new vehicles
3. Returning cast, but...
4. No Krystal
5. Make the graphics - ships, environments, flora / fauna, etc. - realistic a'la Avatar.
6. Don't get too creepy looking with the humanoid animals...find a way to make them work in a realistic, shader-filled environment.
7. Campaign Co-op via the controller's screen
8. Star Wolf returns
9. 1080P/60fps
10. Gigantic epic space battles. Imagine fighting an enemy armada in the orbit of Corneria. After blowing up some enemy fighters and supply ships, you drop into motherships on vehicles in order to blow them up from the inside. You escape before the explosion, then descend though the clouds into Corneria's atmosphere for aerial dogfights before landing on the surface to engage in a Landmaster ground battle, all before flying back into space to engage the Final Boss. All of this in the same sequence, loading seamlessly.

Thoughts? Will we see HD Star Fox in 3 weeks?

D-Pad

gTiQTm.jpg

Krystal is part of Starfox now and I think she's here to stay. Just to kill your dreams and all.

On the subject of Starwolf, they need to get their shit together. They lost two members in Assault alone. Also: Either be the bad guys or go home.

Log4Girlz

I want the characters to look REAL, like toys...Think Fantastic Mr. Fox (one of the greatest animated movies of ALL TIME). Like furry toys.

I would love...well a certain style. I want everything again, to look absolutely real, but like toys. May the ships still be exaggerated cartoony models, but that look like they're made of metal, gritty, scratched, nicked, dented.

Make the main adventure 100% on rails

No on foot missions...fuck on foot missions

Lots of score multipliers, and put in a leader board

Seda

I can't believe we've gone 4+ years with the Wii without even any hint of a new console Star Fox game.

At least Pikmin 3 gets mentioned by Nintendo every once and a while.

Nome

Arwing only please. Fuck the tank, fuck the sub, and FUCK THE ON FOOT SEGMENTS.

OK, maybe the tank is alright.

plufim

I only have one hope: that Nintendo has given development to Treasure. Sin and Punishment 2 was godly, if they had the starfox licence..... hnnggg!

edit: Deck'ard knows where it's at.

Log4Girlz

I liked the subs and tanks, keep that shit IN. But only have dedicated missions for them. A whole branch of the game dedicated to the Sub and a whole branch to the tank. Therefore it should be TRIPLE the size of Star Fox 64. Come on now, that wasn't a long fucking game.

Well, it'd be nice if it existed for one thing.

Back when I was obsessed with Star Fox 64 I would have loved for them to go crazy with branching paths within levels. Today I guess that'd be nice with 4 player co-op.

But I don't know. There wasn't a Wii game and that's both good and bad. It's bad in that they couldn't use the pointer and sensors to expand upon the N64 formula. And it's good in that we didn't have to see the series put through another Adventures or Assault treatment. Is the Star Fox brand something we can equate with quality anymore?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I love "Star Fox Cafe." I love it so much it might be the best console-exclusive suffix for something without an official public name. Superman Cafe. Super Mario Cafe. They make me think of the characters chilling out in a tea room.

Tansut

TheOGB said:
My hope is that this actually happens.
Mostly this.

But if we're going to dream big I'd love to see some online implementation. Maybe something like online co-op would be asking a bit much but it would be a great way for Nintendo to kick off their next console by actually giving some launch games decent online action.

mainly on-rails, mostly i just want it in the hands of some one like treasure or retro. I don't really have any other expectations/hopes besides that. Maybe online multiplayer would be nice.

Ezduo

Banned
Did they even make one for the Wii? I wouldn't be too surprised if Star Fox becomes one of those franchises they Nintendo relegates to handhelds only.

- Resurrect Argonaut and have them co-develop with Retro/Treasure/EAD/whomever
- Bring back the dark atmosphere of the first game
- Soundtrack by Koji Kondo & Hajime Hirasawa
- showcase the graphical capability of the Cafe
- 1080p @ 60 FPS

Nome said:
Arwing only please. Fuck the tank, fuck the sub, and FUCK THE ON FOOT SEGMENTS.

OK, maybe the tank is alright.

Tank is cool imo, but I'd keep on-foot to a bare minimum.

For example, maybe get out of your Arwing to find and push a self-destruct button inside a mothership before returning to the Arwing to escape. Something like that which would only take 20 seconds or so.

I don't really like Star Fox that IP seems so old to me and kinda shallow

there is nothing so deep about Mario or Zelda but I feel they are more fleshed out than Star Fox

After the absence of Star Fox on Wii, something I was certain would happen... I'm not exactly bursting with excitement for a Cafe announcement.

On the other hand, since the series skipped a generation, perhaps it's been in development for the new console. My gut instinct though is that if one does come out on Cafe, it won't be announced this early. I'd love to be wrong.

That being said, I hope it's closer to the feel of the original than the N64 version. The pacing was a lot better, as was the soundtrack. SF64 dabbled a bit too much in "shitty friends" territory, which made me uncomfortable. The original was like yeah there's a fox, bird, frog and rabbit flying these ships. Deal with it. SF64 though took pride in it. It was almost like they got help from KET.

And I may be alone, but I actually liked the smaller-scale feel of the original. Sure, the big free-roaming fights in SF64 were impressive at the time, but they didn't really have a sense of speed and I hated the fly a bit, turn around, fly a bit, turn around gameplay.

So yes. Please be more like the original. The superior one.

daffy

Banned
I don't get the Wii game reference..

I hope Fox gets outta that cockpit and talks to wildlife. Lazy Nintendo doesn't wanna record more voices.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Log4Girlz said:
Its a fucking tragedy one did not come out for the Wii. TRAGEDY. Would have fucking rocked with the Wii-mote.

They cancelled StarFox Wii because Sin and Punishment 2 sold like crap.

I mean you can go play that. Unless you reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally need to be a fox on a cockpit. In which case go to a role-playing forum.

Seda

TekkenMaster said:
Tank is cool imo, but I'd keep on-foot to a bare minimum.

For example, maybe get out of your Arwing to find and push a self-destruct button inside a mothership before returning to the Arwing to escape. Something like that which would only take 20 seconds or so.

On foot is ok, but every mission should have a MANDATORY Arwing sections, and you should be in the Arwing more than 75 percent of the time in any mission, and 90+ overall. imo

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
On a more serious note, with the switch to HD, Nintendo's resources are going to be far more strained.

I suspect a lot of their side series will die, especially as retail console games.

Nirolak said:
I suspect it will have the same features as the Wii game.

stop stop killing my dreams man , this is the cafe! it'll carry use into the promised land of f zero cafe and kirby cafe and pikmin cafe and and :(.

Riposte

Many people think we'll see an amazing reveal of HD Star Fox for Cafe at E3 in 3 weeks. Perhaps developed by Retro Studios. Maybe by Treasure.

Is there even a single piece of evidence supporting this?

Gravijah

Nirolak said:
On a more serious note, with the switch to HD, Nintendo's resources are going to be far more strained.

I suspect a lot of their side series will die, especially as retail console games.

RIP F-Zero

The Future - The Future

Boney

Banned
Nirolak said:

I wonder how their recent expansions are gonna work in this regard.

Nintendo DNA am dead

Top Bottom