• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Algorithm to Depixilize Pixel Art is Magical.

EN3ib.png

full article: http://imgur.com/a/gRXPJ
pdf: http://johanneskopf.de/publications/pixelart/paper/pixel.pdf (currently broken, probably because there's too much traffic atm)

bleh. you don't fix what isn't broken. cool I guess. byt pixel art beats the shit out of their results

at least it's very faithful to the original art. however the sprites should be scaled back to their original resolution in order to look the best. I assume these would look better if they were at the native resolution of the original pixel art

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
You have reduced pixel art into mere clip art! Do you realize what you've done?!

From The Dust said:
bleh. you don't fix what isn't broken. cool I guess. byt pixel art beats the shit out of their results

at least it's very faithful to the original art. however the sprites should be scaled back to their original resolution in order to look the best. I assume these would look better if they were at the native resolution of the original pixel art
well duh, the whole point is to apply the filter to make the images look better in a higher res

if you prefer the original pixel art you're either blind or crazy. i hope this is implemented in zsnes/epsxe soon.

Narag said:
Ax Battler looks horrible.
yeah he's definitely the worst one in the whole article

Green Biker Dude said:
well duh, the whole point is to apply the filter to make the images look better in a higher res

if you prefer the original pixel art you're either blind or crazy. i hope this is implemented in zsnes/epsxe soon.

lol. no, it looks bad at a higher resolution. you aren't working with much detail to begin with. so scaling that up wouldn't make it better

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
This would likely only be good in very few games. I think there is only half a dozen games where I ever found I liked how the filter looked over the sharp pixel look. \

That reminds me, I wish things like zsnes allowed filters to be applied to specific layers, since text is often on its own layer and I do not want any filter put on it.

If you can't appreciate good pixel art, I would say you are the blind and crazy one. Take Metal Slug for example, the fact that the XBLA version has filters applied to it automatically is one of the worst facts about it, the game looks far better without them.

loosus

Banned
I will admit that it looks different, but I'm not prepared to say that it's "better." Seems like a lot of energy wasted by its creators.

The sooner these people realize that you are not going to consistently get passable results from these algorithms precisely because there is so little data in a 32x32 sprite, the better. Yeah, you might make an algorithm that makes a Mario sprite look awesome by chance but make a Street Fighter sprite look like total shit -- again, by chance. So what the fuck is the point. If you want a higher pixel count, draw them.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Cool tech, awful results.

What you get is something people would say looks shitty if you drew it, so why would it become OK when its derived from pixel art?

With pixelated games on HD displays, you're pretty much between an ass and a hard place. Pixel art looks like shit when it's upscaled, and the results are mostly bad with these filters. I don't think either is 'better'.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The technique looks fine at the original resolution, but it looks horrible when blown up like that. It's harder to use your imagination to fill in the blanks, so to speak.

ElFly

Looks cool.

I wonder how hard would be to modify the algorithm so the lines are of a constant width, instead of the current squiggly varying width.

loosus

Banned
The Yoshi sprite is a prime example of why these algorithms will never work. Look at his nose. It looks deformed because his left nostril was incorrectly identified by both algorithms as being part of the border rather than a nostril. And because there is no color green to the left of that one-pixel nostril in the original pixel art, the algorithm could not realistically know that there should be any green over there.

Grayman

The keyboard and microchip are objective fails. Make an algorithm that spits out that space invader but a "normal" keyboard and that would at least be progress.

Top Bottom