• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Algorithm to Depixilize Pixel Art is Magical.

Crunched said:
Snes9x was PC I thought.

Website seems to indicate this is the case. Unless there was a PS3 port I was not aware about, in which case disregard this.
Oh, I guess I wasn't clear enough, sorry.

Hyllian created the shaders for the PS3 port of the emulator. They won't work for the PC because the PS3 has a dual shader mode. He said above:
Hyllian said:
Sorry, it only works on Snes9x, GenplusGX and FCEUgx for PS3 (just because it features dual shader mode) and it only supports screenshots. I can't show it in motion.

Hyllian

Crunched said:
Snes9x was PC I thought.

Website seems to indicate this is the case. Unless there was a PS3 port I was not aware about, in which case disregard this.
Maybe it works on the latest Snes9x. But my notebook is too crap to run shaders, so I can't test it. And I don't know if the PC version runs two shaders at once.

EDIT: bsnes can run it through SSNES. A friend of mine took this screenshot some time ago:

Hyllian

Stallion Free said:
How does it look in motion?

Let me elaborate a bit more.

That shader combination is not good for all kinds of games.

Games with digitized stuff, like mortal kombat or dkc, don't look so good. Games that use dithering look weird with this filter, too. That's because the bumps in little spaces (small color regions) look weird.

So, only cartoon games or games with big color regions look good with it.

somebody play with hyllians filter and record it in motion. ive got emulators setup for my ps3 but really dont see myself hassling through adding these filters if they dont look good in motion.

Ranger X

God GOD this looks horrible. Do you young gamers also prefer piss filters and exagerrated bloom in 3D too by any chance? That filter there still doesn't convey the artstyle and spirit of the original sprites, it's "less horrible" than many other filter but still god damned putrid and a pain to look at for me. That must be what they call the "generation gap". It's time for me to have children I guess.

It's certainly magical. Unholy, foul sorcery.

However, I totally expect someone to make an indie game at some point specifically using this filter and it will look absolutely fantastic.

Amir0x

Banned
oh my god that is the worst thing i've ever--you guys aren't serious about thinking this looks good, are you?

This reminds me of the time that one person posted a series of image of an Ocarina of Time cel-shaded mod which he thought looked amazing but caused almost everyone else in that topic to simultaneously vomit.

Amir0x said:
oh my god that is the worst thing i've ever--you guys aren't serious about thinking this looks good, are you?

This reminds me of the time that one person posted a series of image of an Ocarina of Time cel-shaded mod which he thought looked amazing but caused almost everyone else in that topic to simultaneously vomit.
I remember that thread, and now I have a bad taste in my mouth :/

Platy

Teknopathetic said:
It's certainly magical. Unholy, foul sorcery.

However, I totally expect someone to make an indie game at some point specifically using this filter and it will look absolutely fantastic.

This

Also, i kinda want to see how it would work on a lower res games like Atari, NES or Game Boy ... something tells me that it will do wonders for Game Boy Tetris

Gattsu25

Banned
Hyllian said:
Maybe it works on the latest Snes9x. But my notebook is too crap to run shaders, so I can't test it. And I don't know if the PC version runs two shaders at once.

EDIT: bsnes can run it through SSNES. A friend of mine took this screenshot some time ago:

Where can I get this shader/filter?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Amir0x said:
Link please!

Okay. So I was looking up CRT filters after being really disappointed with the way it was done in MK Arcade Kollection (curved screen with scanlines that weren't even evenly spaced). And I came across HLSL again in a mameworld forum thread, and saw this:

MK2_HLSL.jpg

Its beautiful. The configuration here is easily the closest thing I've seen to reproducing the look of a CRT. Unfortunately I couldn't get it working for me. The settings are mentioned here (John IV's post with the MK2 screenshot). I'd love to see the same settings applied to other games at a similar resolution.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Do we really want a curved screen? I've got a flatscreen CRT and it's about as perfect as I could want it. Actually if I could kill all the geometry issues it would be ideal. The resolution of a CRT is what I want.. not the oldschool shape. :p

Tain

You can disable the curved screen in HLSL.

Unfortunately, HLSL seems broken for me in the latest MAMEUI. :/

BocoDragon said:
Do we really want a curved screen? I've got a flatscreen CRT and it's about as perfect as I could want it. Actually if I could kill all the geometry issues it would be ideal. The resolution of a CRT is what I want.. not the oldschool shape. :p
I'm back and forth on the curved screen, but what the screenshot above really nails is the shape and texture to each pixel. As mentioned before, this filter is customizable so you could remove the curvature if you wanted to. I just wish I could get it working so I could see it in motion on my HDTV.

Tain said:
You can disable the curved screen in HLSL.

Unfortunately, HLSL seems broken for me in the latest MAMEUI. :/

Oh, so is it only in the latest MAMEUI that its broken? Today was the first time I tried it.

Top Bottom