• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GFWL woes, playing Dirt 3 offline

I'm currently having network issues and want to play some Dirt 3 until my isp has fixed the connection. So I try to log into my account ready to tear op some gravel. Gfwl however, is asking me to sign in or I won't be able to save my progression and earn achievements. You've got to be kidding me. I can on Xbox 360 right?

Please don't tell me I have to log into Live to play GRID 3 on my current account.

itxaka

Defeatist
PjotrStroganov said:
I'm currently having network issues and want to play some Dirt 3 until my isp has fixed the connection. So I try to log into my account ready to tear op some gravel. Gfwl however, is asking me to sign in or I won't be able to save my progression and earn achievements. You've got to be kidding me. I can on Xbox 360 right?

Please don't tell me I have to log into Live to play GRID 3 on my current account.

I think all GFWL titles require you to log in into your account to save the progress. But as far as I know you can be offline with your account. I know Batman does the same, no login no saves, login offline you can save.

Have you checked the DRM for it?

itxaka said:
I think all GFWL titles require you to log in into your account to save the progress. But as far as I know you can be offline with your account. I know Batman does the same, no login no saves, login offline you can save.

Have you checked the DRM for it?

How would I do that? And is it going to allow me to play offline with my own account? I currently see no option to do that.

confused

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
How would I do that? And is it going to allow me to play offline with my own account? I currently see no option to do that.

Just login, it should search for the network, give you an error and present you the option to play the game offline.

you don't NEED to log into a live account, you can also create an offline profile. But you should be able to use a live account to play offline... at least thats how it used to work (haven't played a GFW game recently)

confused said:
Just login, it should search for the network, give you an error and present you the option to play the game offline.

Luckily my connection is stable again.

I tried to recreate the issue by disabling my network adapter. Tried to sign in and voila, it gave me the error and the chance to play offline. Earlier however, this wasn't the case. It gave an error and switched back to the login screen. The game also didn't present me with the option to select an existing savegame. Maybe it was because it detected a working network while being unable to log in.

So this means I theoretically can earn achievements while playing offline? It seems that at least I can save my progress in offline mode.

Last time I used GFW I had a lot of trouble logging into my profile to play Guerrilla and couldn't access my saves until it picked up my connection again. Found it best to go offline in the first place otherwise your saves are blocked off to you. I think it is to stop people cheating for achievements?

Scipius

PjotrStroganov said:
So this means I theoretically can earn achievements while playing offline? It seems that at least I can save my progress in offline mode.

Apparently Codemasters found a way to make GFWL even more dysfunctional; other people are also having this problem: http://community.codemasters.com/forum/dirt-3-tech-support-1414/465726-pc-profile-save-problem-potential-workaround.html

You should be able to save with an offline profile (not sure about achievements), but wouldn't you then have two profiles? I.e. would the progress you've had offline be accessible with your online profile?

onken

It worked the second time because you'd already logged in once. You can't start the game even in offline mode until you sign in with an Internet connection.

onken said:
It worked the second time because you'd already logged in once. You can't start the game even in offline mode until you sign in with an Internet connection.

Oh, I logged in way before that. Maybe the network issues threw it off.

Sorry to exhume this thread from the dead but I just had the same issue with Dirt3 and managed to fix it. Apparently you need to set MTU to at least 1500.

Basically for Windows 7

1)go to "Set MTU"
2)Click on Local Area Connection
3)Check Custom and type "1500" in that box
4)reboot

This worked for me....and btw.. Fuck GFWL, this is like the 20th problem I've had with this client...what an utter POS...

Top Bottom