• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3ds eshop not working/not up at all in certain regions

jarosh

i'm making a new thread for this because it's hard to get people's attention in the official thread and to reach others with the same issue.

i called waldmeier ag, the company representing nintendo in switzerland, today (for all intents and purposes they ARE nintendo switzerland). they have confirmed that the eshop is currently not working in switzerland, for unknown reasons. they also said that the eshop currently "cannot be accessed in certain regions", although they wouldn't clarify exactly what that meant and which countries are affected. they also confirmed that they themselves have been unable to access the store with any of their systems.

this is what seems to be happening:

1) the firmware update can be downloaded (usually after multiple tries)
2) the internet browser works
3) trying to access the store will give an error code without fail: 005-5819
4) all other online features seem to work

i myself have lost count of how many times i have tried to access the eshop, but for now it seems to be a permanent issue at least in switzerland. there are also reports from people from france that seem to be entirely unable to access the store.

note: this is different from the temporary login and download issues people in many regions seem to be having, which are usually resolved by simply trying to log in again several times or restarting the system etc.

i'm just trying to get more info:

- who else is affected by this?
- if you are, have you been able to connect at all? maybe once or twice?
- how many times have you tried to access the shop?
- where do you live?

please post in this thread if you're encountering the same issue. i'd like to get a list going with all the affected countries.

Kifimbo

Sorry I can't help you. I have a totally different issue. My Internet connection was working fine before. Now I turned on my 3DS for the first time in two weeks, and I get this fucking 003-1101 error. Can't go online. Can't update.

Me.

I have never been able to connect to the eShop.

Easily over 30 times.

- where do you live?
Sweden.

I'm not having trouble connecting to the eShop or getting online, I'm having trouble adding funds to buy things. It even recognizes that it's a $20 card and then gives me the error and says the card was entered wrong. I'm in the US btw.

jarosh

AndyMoogle said:
Me.

I have never been able to connect to the eShop.

Easily over 30 times.

- where do you live?
Sweden.
yeah, i've heard from other swedes experiencing this as well. shame nintendo totally seems to have dropped the ball.

Edag Plata said:
I'm not having trouble connecting to the eShop or getting online, I'm having trouble adding funds to buy things. It even recognizes that it's a $20 card and then gives me the error and says the card was entered wrong. I'm in the US btw.
sorry to hear, but definitely an unrelated issue. i don't think anyone in the US is unable to access the store. it seems to be a europe thing primarily.

Mista Koo

Perhaps the shop isn't available in you region? Change it from the settings and try again (worked for me, but perhaps this is a different issue).

I was happy that I can finally choose my actual region only to find out I had to change it to access the shop :(

DeVeAn

My credit card can't be used. NOA says there are issues with lots of others they are trying to sort out. Not sure that my CC has the problem as I recently used it.

jarosh

Mista Koo said:
Perhaps the shop isn't available in you region? Change it from the settings and try again (worked for me, but perhaps this is a different issue).

I was happy that I can finally choose my actual region only to find out I had to change it to access the shop :(
where are you located?

DeVeAn said:
My credit card can't be used. NOA says there are issues with lots of others they are trying to sort out. Not sure that my CC has the problem as I recently used it.

So I'm not the only one. See? I also talked to Nintendo on the phone and the line was that the store is getting hit too hard.

Mista Koo

jarosh said:
where are you located?
Saudi Arabia (NTSC).
This is the first Nintendo console/handheld to be released here officially. But the 360 was launched here a couple years back (~2008? Not sure) and until today no official Live support (everyone uses US gamer tags).
We weren't even listed in Wii, but we used Brazil since for unknown reason it accepted Saudi credit cards.

DeVeAn

Edag Plata said:
So I'm not the only one. See? I also talked to Nintendo on the phone and the line was that the store is getting hit too hard.
Figures, as long as I can buy some stuff before the end of the day that would be cool.

thomaser said:
I'm in Norway, and the shop works great here. No Zelda DX or E3 demos yet, though.

I'm in Norway, and it does NOT work for me.

I've tried connecting about 10-15 times now.
Browser works just fine.
Update went smooth (though slow).
Everything else online related works.

Lots of other norwegians have no problems getting it to work, so what the hell is going on?

Madao

i'm in panama and this bull affects me.
i can't access the shop here so i set the 3DS's country to united states and used a zip from there to access the shop and buy games (it accepted my local card despite not being from US)
i guess people can do this for now but i don't know if you lose your stuff if you switch countries again. someone please confirm.

jarosh

uchihasasuke said:
i can't access the shop here so i set the 3DS's country to united states and used a zip from there to access the shop and buy games (it accepted my local card despite not being from US)
i guess people can do this for now but i don't know if you lose your stuff if you switch countries again. someone please confirm.
doesn't work in switzerland. no matter what region i pick, it won't connect.

8bit

Knows the Score
Doesn't work for me. Also Switzerland. Tried UK proxy server and no success either with changed region settings. All a bit disappointing as I now have a pkedex icon listed now but it tries to open the shop unsuccessfully every time.

jarosh

8bit said:
Doesn't work for me. Also Switzerland. Tried UK proxy server and no success either with changed region settings. All a bit disappointing as I now have a pkedex icon listed now but it tries to open the shop unsuccessfully every time.
yeah, it's definitely a very specific issue with the eshop and certain regions, not with the online functionality in general. i also got that pokedex thing delivered via spotpass this morning. might call waldmeier ag again later...

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm having the same issue over here (Saudi Arabia): After countless connection errors I ran into the "store is unavailable in your country", however when I changed my location in settings > profile to the US I was able to the access the store. Something worth mentioning is that there was an extra step/prompt I blindly accepted during the user agreement where my real location (Saudi) and the one I set (US) were refrenced. I couldn't recreate it again even though I was able recreate the user agreement page by switching locations again, but it probably was some sort of IP check ("Your current location does not match the one in your profile").

The only possible explanation for being able to access this way, especially after running into that prompt, is because there are is Nintendo SA/ME or any official Nintendo representatives in my region for either contacting or content rating purposes. That may explain why the situation here is more lax than the one you're having.

jarosh said:
yeah, it's definitely a very specific issue with the eshop and certain regions, not with the online functionality in general. i also got that pokedex thing delivered via spotpass this morning. might call waldmeier ag again later...

I didn't even get the Pokedex thing.
Still can't connect today, same error code. Sigh.

I tried connecting a couple of times today, and it still doesn't work here. I don't see how they can manage to fuck something like this up. Are NoE even aware of the problem? Because I can't see this being a huge problem that should take this long to fix.

Mista Koo

uchihasasuke said:
I did that on the Wii once, I had trouble accessing the shop channel after that (I don't remember how I fixed it). But nothing happened to my games.
I'll probably try this now before actually buying anything and see what happens.

8bit said:
Just managed to connect, seems to be working now.
Yes! It works here as well now. Finally.

EDIT: Error code. Fuck you, Nintendo. I just had to try again, and now it seems to be working just fine.

Top Bottom