• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ancel (Rayman, BG&E): WiiU is not a next-gen system

http://www.videogamer.com/news/wii_u_is_not_next-gen_says_michel_ancel.html

Michel Ancel, the creator of Rayman and Beyond Good and Evil, has said that he does not think Nintendo's new console should be deemed 'next-gen'.

Asked if the Wii U is a next-generation machine, Ancel replied: "Not really. I think Wii U is next-gen in terms of interface."

Speaking to VideoGamer.com at E3, Ancel explained how he thinks others will be quick to imitate Nintendo.

"I think people are going to copy it, because you've got this mix between tablet, touch screen and big screen – big screen and little screen - there are a lot of possibilities."

Pressed on this issue - whether he expected Microsoft or Sony to cook up something similar - Ancel replied: "I don't know if Sony will do it, or Microsoft – but yes, I think it's a possibility. But I think the main thing is to have this – offering new ways to play is very interesting."

Ubisoft currently has several projects in development for Wii U, although Ancel was quick to confirm that Rayman was not one of them.

From "orders of magnitude" faster than PS360, through "only 50% more powerful" to "not really next-gen".

Tough times for Nintendo but hey it's what you get for hiding your specs and releasing FRAPS'd footage as your own.

antonz

Knew it wouldn't take you long to post this. As pointed out in the other thread. You are really going for the bottom of the barrel to find anything to troll on Nintendo.

Backwater claims exclusive info from Developer that the mainstream media and gaming press couldn't get.

Might be a hint to consider the fact site is trolling for hits.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just release the full system specs already, Nintendo. Although I bet you like all the "buzz" this is creating regarding Wii U.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Man said:
We should let them pass on it because they are Nintendo.

No, we should let them pass because it makes perfect business sense for them. This is the new console pattern, IMO:

Wii U: Generational leap over Wii
PS4/Xbox3: Generational leap over PS3/Xbox360
Next Wii: Generational leap over Wii U;

etc, etc.

They're wedging themselves in between the other two consoles. It makes sense because they can appeal to a different market along with those who want the best system on the market at all times (because of the console releases every 2-3 years).

SmithnCo

Technically it is, though. We should stop using the term "next-gen" to refer to a system's power when it just refers to when it was released.

FoneBone

I said back in the first thread about this that publishers probably weren't looking at Wii U as "next-gen" per se. Not what the fanboys want to hear, but it's probably true.

EDIT: I think the OP is misinterpreting (from a different sort of fanboy perspective)- this is a reference to his earlier quote about BG&E2 on the next generation of consoles, not saying that it's less powerful than PS3/360.

Truth101

Banned
Can't I just enjoy great games, no need to label stuff so much. When Developers/Publishers label stuff then the trolling comes out, and I have seen enough trolling the past few days to last me a lifetime.

Truth101 said:
Can't I just enjoy great games, no need to label stuff so much. When Developers/Publishers label stuff then the trolling comes out, and I have seen enough trolling the past few days to last me a lifetime.
Welcome to NeoGAF.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
MS (and Sony) could copy WiiU quiet easily (in a way).

Most likely, MS will try to expand the Xbox platform in some ways, and I would not be surprised if the Windows Phone-series (together with Nokia) will have the "same" (or more) capabilities that WiiU offers..

A mobilephone is something that "everybody" has and if MS finds a way for their future hardware to interconnect with phones, you could have the same possibilities..

Sony is already doing/planning WiiU stuff with Vita and could add phones to it as well..

antonz said:
Knew it wouldn't take you long to post this. As pointed out in the other thread. You are really going for the bottom of the barrel to find anything to troll on Nintendo.

Backwater claims exclusive info from Developer that the mainstream media and gaming press couldn't get.

Site seems real, did they fake the question and answer in your opinion? Did Ancel not comment on that?

Nintendo needs to get their head out of their ass and release the specs.

It would cut the bullshit (or truth) that pops up on every gaming site out there.

Ulairi

Banned
Gram Negative Cocci said:
Site seems real, did they fake the question and answer in your opinion? Did Ancel not comment on that?

Nintendo needs to get their head out of their ass and release the specs.

It would cut the bullshit (or truth) that pops up on every gaming site out there.

Specs do no matter. How hard is it for you understand that? They don't release the specs because they don't matter. But, keep on trollin'.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
antonz said:

Videogamer, while small, is actually a legitimate site.

I've had to make a large culling list when searching for news, but this place never made it on it.

Ball bags.
its Nintendos next generation machine

Powerful or not its THEIR next Gen machine
never seen such an inept attempt at trolling in my life. Shame on you.

StuBurns

Banned
"ZOMG Nintendo is going hardcore, five times the PS360 dude, Reggie said 1080p. BG&E2 is next-gen... oh shit, coming to Cafe"

One week later...

"Who gives a fuck about the technology man, can't we just have fun? Can't games just be games?"

freddy

Banned
Maximilian E. said:
MS (and Sony) could copy WiiU quiet easily (in a way).

Most likely, MS will try to expand the Xbox platform in some ways, and I would not be surprised if the Windows Phone-series (together with Nokia) will have the "same" (or more) capabilities that WiiU offers..
I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft went without a controller altogether next time round.

Salsa

Who cares. All i know is MS and Sony will have the same thing but in black or something once their new consoles come out.

StuBurns said:
"ZOMG Nintendo is going hardcore, five times the PS360 dude, Reggie said 1080p. BG&E2 is next-gen... oh shit, coming to Cafe"

One week later...

"Who gives a fuck about the technology man, can't we just have fun? Can't games just be games?"
Blood is thicker than water.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It is a next generation system by definition. It is super dumb to say something like that when we don't even know how it will compare to whatever Microsoft and Sony are doin g with their next systems.

Ulairi said:
Can you read? This says nothing about power. What does "next generation" even mean?

OP didn't include the context.

Last week Michel Ancel was asked about Beyond Good and Evil 2. He responded by saying it's still in development and that they are targeting the next generation of consoles.

edit:

here is the quote:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-13-beyond-good-and-evil-2-needs-power said:
"I think we are still thinking about what we have to cut to fit on today's consoles, what we can improve. We really want to make the game perfect and as good as possible without cutting things. There is special gameplay that we really want to keep but it needs a certain power."

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Plinko said:
No, we should let them pass because it makes perfect business sense for them. This is the new console pattern, IMO:

Wii U: Generational leap over Wii
PS4/Xbox3: Generational leap over PS3/Xbox360
Next Wii: Generational leap over Wii U;

etc, etc.

They're wedging themselves in between the other two consoles. It makes sense because they can appeal to a different market along with those who want the best system on the market at all times (because of the console releases every 2-3 years).

and why do you care? you do know that actual competition is good. i want the big three to fight over who can push the most polygons :mad: !!!

SnakeXs said:
Who the fuck was EXPECTING a "next-gen" machine?

What's the point of releasing a one and a half-gen machine when you'll get completely owned on specs and in-game visuals a year later?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
As for other comments from Ubisoft employees... they said it's too early to compare to the ps3/360 at the developers round table.

FoneBone

Linkzg said:

Last week Michel Ancel was asked about Beyond Good and Evil 2. He responded by saying it's still in development and that they are targeting the next generation of consoles.
Exactly. He means that he views it (in practice, not literally) as part of the PS3/360 generation, not that it's less powerful than either.

Ulairi

Banned
Linkzg said:

If the Wii U is a big hit, BG&E 2 will be on the Wii U. I fear for that game because I dont' think it will hit on any platform and that makes me sad.

Top Bottom