• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, we know about krokodil, but now cocaine can rot your skin off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2011/06/22/alg_split_tainted_coke.jpg (photo deliberately NOT posted directly obviously)

Cocaine used to just get you high. Now it rots your skin.

Doctors say the cocaine hitting the streets in New York and Los Angeles is now cut with a drug that veterinarians use to de-worm livestock, causing cokeheads' skin to rot off.

In a June report published in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, doctors described six cases where users developed ghastly splotches of dead skin after snorting or smoking cocaine laced with the drug levamisole.

Dr. Mary Gail Mercurio, a dermatologist at the University of Rochester Medical Center who co-authored the study, said her hospital had treated five cases in the last year.

"We've seen very profound areas of necrosis -- dying skin -- usually located on scalp, ears, face and elsewhere on the body," Mercurio said. "It's very alarming."

Nearly a dozen more patients have been admitted to Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, KTLA television reported.

"We believe these cases of skin reactions and illnesses linked to contaminated cocaine are just the tip of the iceberg in a looming public health problem posed by levamisole," the study's authors wrote.

Levamisole is used to treat farm animals for worms and was once used to fight colon cancer.

Drug officials said its use as a cutting agent has skyrocketed in recent years.

In 2010, the Drug Enforcement Agency said nearly 70% of the coke coming into the U.S. was cut with levamisole, up from 30% in 2008, Time Magazine reported.

Health departments in Canada, New Mexico, Delaware and Washington have also issued warnings about the dangers of tainted blow.

Mercurio said she suspected producers were using levamisole because it can cause a small high that adds to coke's kick.

The drug devastates blood vessels under the skin, causing patches to turn black and rot off, she said.

"In one of the more interesting ones, the patient used cocaine again and developed the same skin reaction again," Dr. Noah Craft, another co-author, told KTLA television. "He then switched drug dealers, and the problem cleared up."

Mercurio said that the necrosis is typically treated with potent steroids or blood thinners, but cokeheads who kick the habit can avoid costly treatments.

"If we can get them away from the cocaine, some improved without any intervention," she said.

Story Here

This is actually a GREAT argument for legalizing cocaine. Ban cutting it with harmful chemicals.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Next thing you know marijuana will make your hair drop off.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Gaborn said:
This is actually a GREAT argument for legalizing cocaine. Ban cutting it with harmful chemicals.
Unless the stuff with chemicals in it sells better. It does have that extra kick.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Full Recovery said:
Can't wait for the Lindsay Lohan thread to get bumped in a couple months featuring Rotting Lindsay.
tumblr_lic6r3nqF41qd99mho1_250.gif

If I'm a drug dealer:

- Cut cocaine with hard to find veterinarian drug?

- Cut cocaine with store-bought baking soda?

The answer is so simple! Hard to find veterinarian drug, of course!

It always surprises how all these fucked up things that are used to make drugs (gasoline? phosphorus?). I wonder who the brilliant chemists are who think of using these things to make those special shapes to fit right in the receptors of your synapse.

Not nearly as bad as the Krokodil stuff, but still nasty, honestly, how can anyone look at shit like this and say that the drug war has not failed?

tearsofash

I remember back when drugs used to be good for you. Now they have all these preservatives and fancy ribbons to make it seem nicer. We want to get fucked up not ...dead.

not NEARLY as bad as krokodil. Fucking arms rotting to the bone...will never get that out of my head. But jesus christ what is it with the world and skin-rotting drugs these days?

Slayven

Barkley's Justice said:
If I'm a drug dealer:

Next they will be cutting it with U-235

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
Leave my marijuana, LSD and mushrooms alone or I'm going to get pissed. Stop it you fucks with this skin rotting bullshit!

Agnostic said:
Leave my marijuana, LSD and mushrooms alone or I'm going to get pissed. Stop it you fucks with this skin rotting bullshit!

there are so many types and sources of marijuana that i doubt it will be messed with unless someone laces it themselves

harder hitting drugs, not so much

MrHicks

Banned
tearsofash said:
I remember back when drugs used to be good for you. Now they have all these preservatives and fancy ribbons to make it seem nicer. We want to get fucked up not ...dead.

Magic-mushrooms.jpg

there you go

mckenna_terence1_med.jpg

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Barkley's Justice said:
If I'm a drug dealer:

Except for this part...
In 2010, the Drug Enforcement Agency said nearly 70% of the coke coming into the U.S. was cut with levamisole, up from 30% in 2008, Time Magazine reported.
Probably not the fault of the dealer as much as it is the producer.

This is literally the reason my parents don't want me experimenting with drugs. Not the drugs themselves but the shit they are cutting drugs with. My parents are kind of cool and told me all the various shit they did.

Devolution said:
This is literally the reason my parents don't want me experimenting with drugs. Not the drugs themselves but the shit they are cutting drugs with. My parents are kind of cool and told me all the various shit they did.

Such as....?

lazybones18 said:
Such as....?

Mom was a hippie so various psychedelics. Dad not so much. But both did pot and coke until they knew mom was preggers with me lol. They haven't done shit since.

Oh yeah mom tried heroin once and found out she can't handle opiates.

Salsa

Devolution said:

My parents are the same. My dad MAYBE smoke weed like ONCE, but my mom did all sorts of psychodelic drugs and took cocaine and the likes for years on her younger days.

I eventually told them about some shit i did when i was having a bad experience and i couldnt explain myself without getting into specifics, so i told them about stuff like LSD and cocaine, and my mother, while of course getting worried for the whole subject itself, was much more worried about stuff like this (probably because she knows im not stupid and that it was just a phase i went through, no regrets, no need to go back). The shit they cut it with.

My mom was a huge hippie back in the day, had a weed den in the Tamarisk trees where they grew/smoked had a bunch of random shit from the desert, a couch etc, thinking about it and picturing it with the desert how it was back then, mostly dunes and a few golf courses here and there, must have been a cool time.

We could avoid so many of these problems if we legalized drugs. All drugs would be regulated by the government and would therefore be (relatively) safer. They could tax it and take dealers off the streets. Make it so you can only do it in your home and if you leave the house you could be charged with public intoxication and/or drunk driving. Seems pointless to throw people in jail for a victimless crime. It shouldn't be the government's job to make good decisions for people, especially since using drugs doesn't involve infringing on anyone's rights.

Gaborn

To Far Away Times said:
We could avoid so many of these problems if we legalized drugs. All drugs would be regulated by the government and would therefore be (relatively) safer. They could tax it and take dealers off the streets. Make it so you can only do it in your home and if you leave the house you could be charged with public intoxication and/or drunk driving. Seems pointless to throw people in jail for a victimless crime. It shouldn't be the government's job to make good decisions for people, especially since using drugs doesn't involve infringing on anyone's rights.

co-signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom