• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Gran Turismo 5, nearly a year later

Kahoona

Just traded it in to Amazon for 28 bucks on Thursday actually. I bought it when it came out and played it for two or three days and then never again...figured I'd trade it in while I could.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I did some reading on this recently. They patched a lot into it but they never did DLC (like new tracks or cars). Kind of confused. Not sure what they're doing now.

DonMigs85

I love the game and it's been in my PS3 almost constantly since November.
If you loved grinding away in the previous games, you'll probably enjoy this one.

Nix said:
Buy Blur, thank me later.

I lov Blur, but playing online can be a pain, because its full of players who went prestige 10 times, and have the best cars and mods. Also the single player challenges are fun for a while, but too repetitive. It still is the best mario kart game since mario kart DS.

ScOULaris

Eh, I wouldn't recommend it. I loved all of the entries in the series before this one, but GT5 was very underwhelming for me. Especially after the long development time.

cnizzle06

Banned
BackwardsSuggestions said:
You can have my copy for free if you so desire? Never play it so you might as well get the chance.

EDIT: Hang on, let me make sure I still have it.

The hell?! Can I have it if he doesn't want it?

Y2Kev said:
I did some reading on this recently. They patched a lot into it but they never did DLC (like new tracks or cars). Kind of confused. Not sure what they're doing now.

We are hoping that TGS will bring DLC.

OP: The game was abysmal when it released but the support is the best in the console world, but that also means that you have to wait forever before you can play the game (Downloading 9 or 11-12 patches). Many thing has been fixed and they continue to fix things, the game is still priced high because it still selling (Probably 8-9 million by now) when it stops selling the price will be reduced.

Duxxy3

Traded it in and have ZERO regrets. Spent hundreds of hours on GT2 and GT3 but the last 2 releases have been poor.

Jibbed

Nix said:
Buy Blur, thank me later.

I'm quite upset that Blur didn't sell well, it's incredible!

Seriously, the most fun you can have these days is with 4 people on Blur's split-screen.

Elios83

If you can get it at a low price (20$ max) and you are into racing simulators then get it but it's such a mixed and unfinished game......it reaches excellency in a few aspects and it's mediocre in others. A true disappointment based on the potential.

benzy

I thought it was money well spent. :shrug

For every bad thing found in the game, it more than makes up for it in other areas. Then again, I was never a huge GT fan and didn't really have insanely high expectations for it.

Best Nurburgring and night races I've played in a console racer thus far.

gt5nightufbp.gif

I play it regularly, the patches fixed lots of stuff, and the support is really promising, september - october shall be great. Maybe if you wait til November, you'll be able to decide.

Duxxy3 said:
Traded it in and have ZERO regrets. Spent hundreds of hours on GT2 and GT3 but the last 2 releases have been poor.

I'd like to see try to explain how GT4 and GT5 aren't the best in the series. I would really like that.

Nix

Banned
Heart Attack said:
I lov Blur, but playing online can be a pain, because its full of players who went prestige 10 times, and have the best cars and mods. Also the single player challenges are fun for a while, but too repetitive. It still is the best mario kart game since mario kart DS.
Mario Kart fan. Automatically place Blur 1 up on their list.

Game is still cool. Even if you don't have the best mod or car, you can still pull of amazing races. Hell, you can play offline for awhile too, and then jump online (although I prefer blowing up douches online, to random Ai's). I love jumping from fifth to 1st after some crazy ass acceleration, mid-group in fighting bullshit. That's what I love. Oh, and tailgating first place.

Seanspeed

Banned
Depends on what you're looking for. Its wrong to say GT5 is a bad game. Its actually pretty fantastic in a lot of ways. If you're an ex-GT fan, you might be a bit disappointed, but if you just like cars and driving, you'd be stupid not to get it.

Niks

Just driving on the Nurburgring at dusk pays the price of admission.
But, thats just my opinion.

MercuryLS

Banned
benzy said:

For every bad thing found in the game, it more than makes up for it in other areas. Then again, I was never a huge GT fan and didn't really have insanely high expectations for it.

gt5nightufbp.gif

Holy shit, that looks real.

sephi22

Biggest hype to whimper turnaround of this gen.
I mean I get that FFXIII was dissapointing too, but still there was so much vocal back and forth about that game.

In case of GT5 the hype almost made me want to get the Signature edition and a G27, but after release, there was nothing. Just silence.

I'm glad I didn't buy it.

Any dlc they would have had planned is probably being scrapped for the obvious eventual release of GT6.

I still think it's worth a buy, but I would wait a month or two for a price drop. Sony will drop it with the impeding release of Forza 4

InertiaXr

Is this game worth it with a wheel? As this thread illustrates some people seem to enjoy it rather well then some say it's most disappointing game of the generation, how is the wheel support for a DFGT? All I really have is F1 2010 for my wheel and I'd love some other types of cars to use with it.

sephi22 said:
Biggest hype to whimper turnaround of this gen.
I mean I get that FFXIII was dissapointing too, but still there was so much vocal back and forth about that game.

In case of GT5 the hype almost made me want to get the Signature edition and a G27, but after release, there was nothing. Just silence.

I'm glad I didn't buy it.
strange, GT5 is actually a good game unlike FFXIII

damn it, this topic is gonna make me boot this baby up

benzy said:

gt5nightufbp.gif

I said WOW.

Top Bottom