• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 3 has 1.3 million pre orders, hints that franchise will continue

Q and A with Phil Spencer
Most of the interview is PR fluff but thought the Gears numbers would be of interest.
It's early to predict holiday sales, but "Gears" already has been pre-ordered by 1.3 million people, said Phil Spencer, vice president of Microsoft Studios.

At a minimum of $59 per copy, that means the game already has grossed $77 million before its launch. "Gears" - developed by Epic Games - set sales records when the trilogy's first edition debuted in 2006 and has since become one of the Xbox's big hits.

: Is this the end of the run for "Gears" or will the franchise continue?

A: Let's just face it: We would be kind of dumb to walk away from doing something that's done as well as "Gears" has."

jagowar

Of course the series will continue.... its their best new ip for this generation and a world that is very fleshed out a la halo.

I actually think its good for this story to end.... In some ways I have grown tired of some of the characters and could do with some new guys to follow. That said I hope they do cameos for some of the better ones.... namely cole.... gotta have my cole train.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
After the 3rd one, aren't they allowed to go multi-platform with the franchise?

Kusagari

Shed_a_Ninja said:
Now the question is:

Since Epic owns the intellectual property rights to the series, will they make following games multiplatform?

MS will do whatever it takes to keep it.

def sim

Shed_a_Ninja said:
Now the question is:

Since Epic owns the intellectual property rights to the series, will they make following games multiplatform?

I'm sure it's up to Microsoft moneyhatting them, though I bet they already have. Gears is another Halo for them.

Proelite

Shed_a_Ninja said:
Now the question is:

Probably. I think that'll be a great move for Epic.

Wario64 said:
Of course it will continue. The Kinect game hasn't been released yet.
Almost was released!
Q: Were there plans to use Kinect with "Gears 3"?

A: It was a timing issue for us. We didn't have enough time to be thoughtful form the beginning. There's functionality in Kinect that could make games like "Gears" and "Halo" more immersive. Voice is definitely one of those areas.

Wario64 said:
Of course it will continue. The Kinect game hasn't been released yet.
You mean that on rails game?

A: It was a timing issue for us. We didn't have enough time to be thoughtful form the beginning. There's functionality in Kinect that could make games like "Gears" and "Halo" more immersive. Voice is definitely one of those areas.
I do not understand this, why not just use a mic?

jagowar

Shed_a_Ninja said:
Like they did with Mass Effect? Then again, Mass Effect doesn't see Gears of War-like sales numbers.

If it came down to it I think ms would buy epic if needed.... they REALLY need to keep that exclusive after what they have lost in the second half of this generation.

epmode

It's a good thing that Kinect is around so that we can FINALLY have voice commands in Xbox games.

yo_john117

Neo Member
I thought MS released a statement weeks ago saying how Gears 3 had over 1 million pre-orders WW.

It makes no sense that they would have only added 300k pre-orders since then.

At a minimum of $59 per copy, that means the game already has grossed $77 million before its launch

Actually, not everyone was paying in US Dollars. Pretty sure this game cost 100$ US in australia or something when you play with exchange rates / australia's horrible pricing schemes, so this $77 million estimate is off.

MS will never let this franchise die, take this game away from there fall lineup and I can't think of one other exclusive they have this holiday

Nora Kisaragi said:
Actually, not everyone was paying in US Dollars. Pretty sure this game cost 100$ US in australia or something when you play with exchange rates / australia's horrible pricing schemes, so this $77 million estimate is off.
either way, they made + this amount.

yo_john117 said:
I thought MS released a statement weeks ago saying how Gears 3 had over 1 million pre-orders WW.

It makes no sense that they would have only added 300k pre-orders since then.

Might have been retailer pre orders and they were using PR speak. Or most of the preorders for a game like this happen earlier in the cycle.

Either way this interview was done today and Phil Spencer's number is going to be as accurate as it gets.

Ken Masters said:
MS will never let this franchise die, take this game away from there fall lineup and I can't think of one other exclusive they have this holiday

Well, there is Forza Motorsport 4 and the remake of Halo: Combat Evolved.

That's it, though.
Unless you want to count the plethora of casual Kinect titles.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Ken Masters said:
Guardian Heroes HD.

But fr'real, Halo CE Anniversary and Forza 4 ain't exactly small releases.

Marjorine

I just got my Amazon.com preorder shipment notice as I was reading this thread.

I am pleased by this not shocking news. I really enjoy these games. The endless laughs me and my friends have had at the expense of the Dom and Maria love story was worth the price of admission all by itself. I am excited to get home from work tomorrow and get down to business.

MightyKAC

Looks like those $0.99 iPhone games epic was so worried about will not be cutting TOO deeply in their profits. /trollface

snoopeasystreet said:
Good. Hopefully it goes multiplatform. More people should be able to play a cool series.

If Microsoft renews their publishing contract with them, the best possible scenario is that they will be on PC as well.

I would like to play a gears prequel set more around when the locust first arrived. Whatever they decide to do i really enjoy the franchise and i have no problem if they want to continue it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
rance said:
I'm sure it's up to Microsoft moneyhatting them, though I bet they already have. Gears is another Halo for them.
While MS wants Gears, Epic also needs to partner with a major publisher. Its not like they will get better than MS' advertising team either. The original gears still had the best advertisement campaign this gen. The only other companies who can support it would be Sony, Ubisoft, EA, and Activision. Sony is doubtful, the fanbase is on 360 and Ubisoft isn't really in the partnerships. So its basically between Activision and EA.

Shed_a_Ninja said:
If Microsoft renews their publishing contract with them, the best possible scenario is that they will be on PC as well.
I think it depend on the next console cycle. If MS releases first by a fair bit, it'll stay an exclusive for that game at least. Epic must want the game to go multiplatform. Unless they're getting a tonne from Microsoft, they're leaving money on the table. I could see the next gears being multiplatform but with some sort of kinect function for xbox owners.

Top Bottom