• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox looking to be "more flexible" with next generation

Given the whispers it'll be a high end console, beyond the normal price, aimed at enthusiasts, with almost all of their software multiplatform.

reinking

Gold Member
Given the whispers it'll be a high end console, beyond the normal price, aimed at enthusiasts, with almost all of their software multiplatform.
Then why keep pushing Xbox exclusives? ..and "almost all" will not cut it if it is an enthusiast focused console. How many people are they planning to piss off with an exclusive to an expensive console? That is the opposite of the X|S focus from this gen. I am not saying you are wrong. It would just be another example of Xbox flip-flopping their focus when it comes to the console space. IMO, if they are going to do this, just end consoles all together and find partners for an Xbox branded PC with target specs that Xbox games can be optimized for and go third-party for software. Having a "high end" console will do zero to change the narrative and console sales comparisons that the media will continue to push.

Then why keep pushing Xbox exclusives? ..and "almost all" will not cut it if it is an enthusiast focused console. How many people are they planning to piss off with an exclusive to an expensive console? That is the opposite of the X|S focus from this gen. I am not saying you are wrong. It would just be another example of Xbox flip-flopping their focus when it comes to the console space. IMO, if they are going to do this, just end consoles all together and find partners for an Xbox branded PC with target specs that Xbox games can be optimized for and go third-party for software. Having a "high end" console will do zero to change the narrative and console sales comparisons that the media will continue to push.

Essentially they'll be removing themselves from the console space in all but name. They'll mostly be a third party publisher on consoles. I've spoken to five different people now, some at ABK, some at Bethesda (and one person on this forum who claimed to have done some contract work at the above) and they've said the same thing about software.

They'll never compete with Sony at consoles. It is a fools game. Their path to revenue is releasing software everywhere

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

This is what I said. Maybe they outsource xbox sdk to third party manufacturers. Similar to gpus so that they can push their front room gamepass machines.

If anyone thinks they are giving up on having some form of living room box (until streaming takes off anyway) is delusional.

Until Sony allows gamepass onto playstation I can't see ms not hav9ng hardware? Either from themselves or a third party

Crayon

Essentially they'll be removing themselves from the console space in all but name. They'll mostly be a third party publisher on consoles. I've spoken to five different people now, some at ABK, some at Bethesda (and one person on this forum who claimed to have done some contract work at the above) and they've said the same thing about software.

They'll never compete with Sony at consoles. It is a fools game. Their path to revenue is releasing software everywhere

^^^ This strategy would make an early "next gen" their best move.

Trying to actually start a next gen early to beat playstation would be their worst move.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I switched to cloud streaming Xbox game pass on my tv. I can't afford to buy an Xbox only to have it break down after a few years.

Went through multiple PlayStation 4s due to them breaking down. Hated that crap.

200.gif

pascal-pedro.gif

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It is going to be fun watching people that staunchly defended the XSS’s raison d’être going to defend this premium early next gen console :D.

gymnastics perfect loop GIF

dcx4610

Feels like the Xbox brand is done outside of Sony messing up really bad which is always a possibility. I could see Microsoft pushing a cheap/streaming model as their main model next time and the powerful model as something for enthusiasts and then trying to get Game Pass on Nintendo/Sony as their main source of income.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Why should we believe you?

Why should we believe you?

You shouldn't. The proof is in the pudding.

There won't be a big song and dance made about it but you'll see more and more projects that people would have assumed as Xbox ecosystem exclusives with some of the older titles making the jump then it'll dawn on people.

I've heard it from too many people independently for me to doubt it now. Until it happens it is fiction, but five people saying broadly the same thing does lend it some credibility in my opinion.

NEbeast

There won't be a big song and dance made about it but you'll see more and more projects that people would have assumed as Xbox ecosystem exclusives with some of the older titles making the jump then it'll dawn on people.

I've heard it from too many people independently for me to doubt it now. Until it happens it is fiction, but five people saying broadly the same thing does lend it some credibility in my opinion.
Will Ferrell Elf GIF by filmeditor

Skifi28

I know how that feels, I have an uncle that used to work on stadia.

Just someone who's been in and around for a while on various places. I know enough people to find out bits and bobs here and there - my biggest ever 'What that actual fuck man' moment was when a couple of people told me ahead of time about that TLG, FFVII Remake and Shenmue 3 E3 conference and that was honestly the hardest thing I've had to keep quiet about.

Likewise I knew for a long time that Cerny was the PS4 system architect whereas most were surprised.

I'm not a dev, not a nephew or niece of anyone at Nintendo. Just someone who knows some people in run of the mill roles where I find out some things here and there.

Normally I don't get a lot of detail about Xbox but now they encompass ABK and Bethesda I've heard a bit more (which is of little interest to me normally as I don't play their games).

Interesting stuff ahead but until it happens, just take it all with a grain of salt.

Microsoft is truly dragging the entire industry down as they force everyone into this subscription hellscape.

Fuck them for real. As usual who asked for this? Forcing crossplay, turning Halo into free to play, canceling Infinites 10 year plan, not propping up Series X, canceling Backwards Compatibility program, only caring about GamePass, pushing annoying ads etc

How could I forget "consolidation" aka buying up publishers

Last edited:

onQ123

I wanted to make a thread but I know people would just rush in with dumb comments instead listening to reason but I feel that the way things are going right now with games not really selling much on Xbox consoles it would be better for Microsoft to release Surface Gaming Devices instead of Xbox Consoles & also update the existing Xbox consoles with a Windows Lite OS.

I really wouldn't have a problem paying up to $1000 for a higher-end Surface Gaming device that I could also use for editing & other stuff.

In short why is there a dedicated gaming box when people are no longer buying games for it?

This approach would open the door for other companies to release devices with the Xbox store on them .

Sigh. We don’t need “flexibility”. We need a solid, high performance, unique platform. There are decades of existing hardware and games if you want to be frugal or play on a lower budget.

At least Sony and Nintendo give me the impression that they makes games to make games alongside of profit. Microsoft is just all about the revenue at all costs. To them, gaming could be replaced with anything that makes even a little bit of money. I guess it makes sense. I mean, Xbox was founded not to make games, but to get a foothold into the living room for their other divisions.

We know that, in 2021, gamepass accounted for 1.5% of total revenue. They are destroying themselves and damaging the industry for a measly 1.5% revenue.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Just someone who's been in and around for a while on various places. I know enough people to find out bits and bobs here and there - my biggest ever 'What that actual fuck man' moment was when a couple of people told me ahead of time about that TLG, FFVII Remake and Shenmue 3 E3 conference and that was honestly the hardest thing I've had to keep quiet about.

Likewise I knew for a long time that Cerny was the PS4 system architect whereas most were surprised.

I'm not a dev, not a nephew or niece of anyone at Nintendo. Just someone who knows some people in run of the mill roles where I find out some things here and there.

Normally I don't get a lot of detail about Xbox but now they encompass ABK and Bethesda I've heard a bit more (which is of little interest to me normally as I don't play their games).

Interesting stuff ahead but until it happens, just take it all with a grain of salt.

GIF by iOne Digital

I'll remember you and what you said. I hope you're right, just so we can have another insider on GAF. The more the merrier.

Last edited:

C2brixx

My guess is it will be something like a Windows version of the failed Steambox. I recall Phil saying that he wished that Microsoft had did something like that after the original Xbox instead of a traditional console like the XB360.

ByWatterson

I would pay an unreasonable amount of money for Age of Empires II with trophy support. JAYSUS.

I would pay an unreasonable amount of money for Age of Empires II with trophy support. JAYSUS.

Not one I've heard about in particular but I'd imagine that is very unlikely. If anything, people should expect the bulk of ABK games and Bethesda games with the Xbox Studios IP (that make sense for a console audience). I don't think RTS would fit that.

coffinbirth

Probably modular design. Phil has talked about it before.

Buy a Series S-eque "base" console, have the option to buy upgrade modules. RAM, GPU, etc.

Makes the most sense.

Top Bottom