• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Expects the Next Generation of Consoles to Come Out in 2028

Draugoth

Gold Member

FzPxNkjX0AA53_p

In court documents reviewed by IGN, Microsoft said the “expected starting period” of the next generation of consoles is 2028. This means the next Xbox and the PlayStation 6 are set to launch eight years after the Xbox Series X and S and PlayStation 5. The news comes from documents made public as part of Xbox's big Activision Blizzard FTC trial, which kicked off this week.

This term would in any case go beyond the expected starting period of the next generation of consoles (in 2028),” Microsoft said. “Thus, Call of Duty will be published on successor PlayStation consoles should one be released during the term of the agreement. The agreement also would ensure that Call of Duty console games are offered on PlayStation at parity with Xbox.”

Tsaki

Expected as much. Should be in the same year as AMD releases a new generation of CPUs and GPUs as well. Series and PS5 got the latest GPU architecture as soon as it released, though not the CPU.
They will probably be on the (by then) mature GAA node after 3nm from TSMC. Maybe a half step after it even.
PS5 Pro next year falls nicely in the middle of the generation too.

I think both Microsoft and Sony are going to release "Pro" versions of their consoles, however I don't think it will be next year. Late 2025 will be the release which will give them 3 years of clearance before Xbox Next and PS6. Waiting until 2025 will also help with pushing cost of components down because I don't think a $700 or $800 Pro console is viable.

Gudji

I'm good with that due to covid a lot of delays happened and we barely started to get PS5 and XSX games only.

Ev1L AuRoN

If PS4 and One lasted 7 years with trash Jaguar cores and spinning hard drives, then next generation is coming at the earliest in 2027.
Sure, the thing is, those consoles had a mid-gen upgrade. I think 8 years is a lot for a gen to last, perhaps they launch pro consoles on the 4-year mark.
That's hot take considering it's 2023 and we barely have any current gen games and it takes 4-5 years to develop a game. Also last gen consoles were way more underpowered and they lasted 7 years +3 years of cross gen.
Well yeah, cross gen will be standard, and if we are regressing back to 30fps and lower resolution I think the next-gen cant get soon enough.

Robb

Gold Member
That sounds a bit too dragged out for my taste.

But on the other hand this gen has also had what feels like a very slow start so maybe the systems won’t feel ancient by that point anyway.

Reactions: Isa

Ev1L AuRoN

Per Henderson, who has been spot on about pretty much all his Playstation leaks, PS5 Pro is coming next year
Just hope Sony manage to secure RDNA4 and Zen4+ until there. Something with some RT grunt.
The last consoles of History.
I doubt that, cloud is nowhere near it needs to be to replace consoles. To me, the ideal scenario is next-gen in 2026~27 and no pro console.

Reactions: Isa

RevGaming

This is going to sound crazy to some, but there probably won't be ps6 exclusive games. I think 99% of the games will be cross gen due to diminishing returns. I think it'll be ff16 but 4k/60. You'll buy a ps6 for that, but the same games. The leap won't be enough to be creatively on a level that can only be done on ps6. Playing ff16 and I am feeling this way.

Last edited:
Between Covid and the Russia war and general inflation/economic issues I don't know why anybody is expecting this gen to be short. I mean you couldn't even get a Series X for way longer than usual for a launch console, and PS5 even longer. Both consoles have INCREASED in price since launch. The odds of a pro console seems super unlikely when we're just now starting to get games that aren't cross-gen. Plus there's no need like there was last gen. There's no new tech like 4K that is taking over, plus the XSX and PS5 were far more powerful at launch than the One/PS4 were. I would have no problem with them doing a "Pro" version this gen I just don't think it's very likely

phant0m

I think the biggest issue is focusing on 4k resolution which eats a lot of resources. I would take graphical fidelity over resolution any given day.
Don’t forget ray tracing. It’s really nice for looking at side-by-side screenshots but imo adds absolutely fuck all for gameplay in 90% of games.

Bad gimmick that imo doesn’t make the experience better. VRR is a way better improvement for gamers.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

It's funny how people can simultaneously claim that Starfield is the most beautiful game of all time and also lament that existing consoles have hit their limit and we need pro consoles asap.

And prices just went up for these limited consoles, so the pro versions would effectively be unaffordable.

None of what's happening points toward any pro versions of either console.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

A few games with shit engines hit 720p sometimes and now every game is 720p on current gen consoles. Blame the devs not the hardware. If some dev is doing worse resolution wise on a ps5 game compared to games on ps4 pro, then they fucked up. Let’s not pretend we don’t know the ps5 and series x can do better.

Crayon

I'm okay with that. I'm okay with the extended cross gen, too. This means you could just wait for the pros if you wish and not miss much. On balance, that's not a bad tradeoff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom