• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Totori |OT| - Adventuring in Arland

Durante

topmj9w.png

h_basicstjtc.png

Genre: JRPG
Platform: PS3
Developer: Gust
Publisher: NISA
Release date: September 27, 2011 (NA), Fall 2011 (EU)

Box art - standard edition (50 USD):
boxo7rl.jpg

Premium set (includes Art book and soundtrack CD, 60 USD):
box_premiumr7ar.jpg

Special Features:
- Dual audio (which should be so bog-standard at this point to not even really be worth mentioning, but not every publisher is as progressive as NISA)
- Even though it's forbidden for small Japanese developers, Gust bravely uses the dark powers of anti-aliasing

h_gameplaylk1p.png

Returning from Rorona:
- The somewhat intricate alchemy system
- Non-linear gameplay and time management, including multiple endings

New in Totori:
- A more complete combat system
- A larger focus on adventuring, including the "Adventurer's License" system for unlocking access to new areas

Product description Blurb:
- Classic turn-based RPG combat brings strategy and a sense of nostalgia for gamers new and old
- Synthesize hundreds of items: ingredients, weapons, armor, and explosives to help you on your journey
- Homunculi, in-game characters that can be hired to search for needed items
- Several unique endings to experience will keep you playing even after finishing it the first time
- Assist System which allows AI party members to assist in specific ways and Super Moves, which can be used to deal maximum damage

h_charactersx7vt.png

image1317os.png
image15h7du.png
image33t75v.png
image35s7tw.png
image37a7wg.png

image3997vx.png
image41s71p.png
image17x7j0.png
image19o7kp.png
image21u7m4.png

image2347yp.png
image25u766.png
image27d7o6.png
image2917q0.png
image3117xw.png

h_screenshotsw78o.png

Home sweet home: (this game looks fantastic)
homen70f.jpg

Manage your own personal cleaning/alchemy/gathering homunculi squad:
homso7pe.jpg

Or gather ingredients on your own:
field27pw.jpg

Quests!
quests17lg.jpg

Treasure!
treasurep7fx.jpg

Alchemy!
alchemy871g.jpg

Battle!
assist97ec.jpg

battle0t7rr.jpg

axestrikeb7mq.jpg

battle1z7zw.jpg

Rarutos

I can't wait either! I Platinumed Rorona to get ready for the release and NOW I'M TOTORI READY!

I also hope NISA ships this one early. :)

matmanx1

Thank you for the reminder! I just pre-ordered from the NIS online store. I initially held off because my September was so jam packed but I've finished some things and sold off others that I'm not going to finish to make room. Bring on Totori!

Coxy

Aw yeah, I'm not nearly finished with Disgaea 4 but the second this arrives I wont touch anything else until I've platinumed it. Really excited since I enjoyed Rorona a lot and this is considerably improved

Rarutos

KeioSquad2 said:
How formulaic to the Jrpg is this game? Is it traditional or are the fundamentals different?
Battle system is pretty traditional. But the whole game is not. It revolves doing jobs, gathering ingredients, and synthesizing items for the most part! If you're looking for a traditional RPG experience, I wouldn't look to this game.

Durante

KeioSquad2 said:
How formulaic to the Jrpg is this game? Is it traditional or are the fundamentals different?
"Formulaic" isn't a word I'd use to describe the Atelier series. It's very different from the usual linear/story driven JRPG. Basically, you play for 3 years in-game time and can freely decide what to do with these days (with a few exceptions). Actions such as alchemy and dungeon crawling consume time, and you have some milestones you need to reach at certain points. The game also has 11 different endings depending on what you achieve.

I still haven't played Rorona... its still sealed on my shelf. :\ Hell, I haven't actually beat any of the Atelier games that have came out in the US. :(

Rarutos

Big Papa Husker said:
I still haven't played Rorona... its still sealed on my shelf. :\ Hell, I haven't actually beat any of the Atelier games that have came out in the US. :(
Open it and play it now! You can totally beat the game before Totori comes out!

Lucentto

Banned
I wanted to play Rorona, but i'm going to skip it and just play this one. I don't really have the time with Persona 2 to play.

Durante

NightHawk17 said:
If I do try this series, this is where i'm jumping in
It's a fantastic point to do so, by all accounts Totori is a great improvement on Rorona which is a pretty good game in its own right.

Nix

Banned
Damn those screens look good. If only...who am I kidding, I've got this shit pre-ordered, loli-girls galore or not.

panty

Already ordered the premium edition. I have to start & finish Atelier Rorona first, I have to.. Game looks good.

Big Papa Husker said:
This x 1000000.

Rarutos

I'm so excited! Hard to believe we're getting it next week! I really hope there aren't as many bugs in Totori as there were in Rorona... It is kind of silly how lackluster the QA is compared to the N1 titles, since they take a lot longer to come out between Japanese and American release. :(

Still haven't played Rorona, got a bit butt hurt when I ordered the premium edition on ebay and the seller sent me the standard edition...

No news of a premium edition in europe so I might have to chance ebay again and hope I get the right edition.

Durante

kyo_daikun said:
Still haven't played Rorona, got a bit butt hurt when I ordered the premium edition on ebay and the seller sent me the standard edition...

No news of a premium edition in europe so I might have to chance ebay again and hope I get the right edition.
You can use the shop Keys mentioned, or order from http://www.videogamesplus.ca/
That's where I get all my US imports from. (I'd like to order from the NISA store but their shipping fees to Europe are obscene)

Deeku

Rorona's a relatively short game (roughly 20 hours) if you don't try to 100% it. So anyone that hasn't play it really should.

Man, play-asia needs to open pre-orders already. Shipping from NIS shop is too expensive for me:(

I am so looking forward to getting an email from NISA about them shipping this out.
This has to be my most looked forward to game this year!

Durante

commanderdeek said:
Rorona's a relatively short game (roughly 20 hours) if you don't try to 100% it. So anyone that hasn't play it really should.
If those 20 hours are accurate then the game really has a huge range between just completing it and trying to 100% it. It took me almost 50 hours for one play-through, so that's just a single ending out of what, a dozen? But I really tried to optimize everything I was doing and use every single day. (I maxed out all friendships, killed all the optional bosses and crafted all the items)

How long did it take the people that platinum'd it?

Add me to the list of people who've bought Rorona but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

For anyone knowledgeable about this game, which of the characters in the OP are actual party members?

OceanBlue

Super excited for this game, can't wait! I really liked the alchemy system in Rorona, so I know this game will be fun.

I heard that the alchemy in Totori was harder than in Rorona. Is it the same or are there minor differences?

Edit: You can choose traits?!

Torillian

Neo Member
A Huge Battleship said:
Add me to the list of people who've bought Rorona but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

For anyone knowledgeable about this game, which of the characters in the OP are actual party members?

Totori, Rorona, Gino, Mimi, Sterk, Marc, and Melvia are all party members

Edit: You can choose traits?!

Yes, when you synthesize something you get a list of possible traits to give the final product based on the traits of the materials you chose. Each of these possible traits has a point value and the total points you can use to put traits on the final product is based on the general quality of the materials you used. You can then use these points to put on as many traits as you can afford up to a maximum of 6.

Big Papa Husker said:
You can start now AND with TIME MANAGEMENT Skills you can finish or platinium it ..before totori is out ....

the question is : Are you good with time and planning ?

kyubajin

Really need to go back to Rorona... I know Totori is leagues better and Meruru is the best in the (PS3) series so far.

Einbroch

Banned
I absolutely hate the time management system. I enjoyed Rorona a few months back, but...ugh. The time thing was just not fun.

I'll queue it up in GameFly when this holiday blitz is over.

notworksafe

Oh shit! Totori is going to be out soon? And with a better battle system? I'm in!

Are there videos of the "more complete" battle system anywhere?

KariOhki

Neo Member
Shit, this game looks even prettier than Rorona did. I already got it preordered from NISA's store, it'll probably be the last thing I buy myself this year unless there's an awesome sale somewhere.

No clue if I'll actually PLAY it this year. Rorona took me a month to finish, but I had more free time then.

lljride

I want to play this so bad, but that means I'd have to stop playing Disgaea 4. And hold off on Dark Souls. And continue holding off on WKC2.

Damn you Fall 2011 JRPGS!

Rarutos

Honestly, as I was getting the Platinum in Rorona, the time management wasn't really a problem at all. In fact, I had plenty of time to do everything I needed to do, and then some! I pretty much had the whole last assignment months with nothing to do but synth the one item for the last assignment. :eek:

I hear Totori takes place in 5 years this time around, so they give you even more time! Although I think to compensate, they've made some dungeons and such farther to walk to...

Einbroch

Banned
Rarutos said:
Honestly, as I was getting the Platinum in Rorona, the time management wasn't really a problem at all. In fact, I had plenty of time to do everything I needed to do, and then some! I pretty much had the whole last assignment months with nothing to do but synth the one item for the last assignment. :eek:

I hear Totori takes place in 5 years this time around, so they give you even more time! Although I think to compensate, they've made some dungeons and such farther to walk to...
See, the thing is it really makes it a non-pick-up-and-play RPG, if that makes sense. If I have 30 minutes before work, I can go grind a few enemies in Disgaea, craft some items in Star Ocean, or whatever. In this...everything takes time, and a completionist like myself can't just go "Oh, today I feel like doing this!". You have to follow a pretty strict walkthrough or guide to get a specific ending or a certain trophy.

Not saying I won't enjoy this game, I just wish the time element was either removed or REALLY toned down.

Rarutos

Einbroch said:
See, the thing is it really makes it a non-pick-up-and-play RPG, if that makes sense. If I have 30 minutes before work, I can go grind a few enemies in Disgaea, craft some items in Star Ocean, or whatever. In this...everything takes time, and a completionist like myself can't just go "Oh, today I feel like doing this!". You have to follow a pretty strict walkthrough or guide to get a specific ending or a certain trophy.

Not saying I won't enjoy this game, I just wish the time element was either removed or REALLY toned down.
Oh I see, yes I understand that. It's just that this is the way Atelier games have always been, sans the Iris trilogy and Mana-Khemia, so it's obviously a formula that works for a majority of GUST's fans! I guess you should sit down and play it when you have more time then?

I do hear that Totori is better about the time management thing though. Lots of things have improved, so I really have to play it to see how it stacks up to Rorona! We'll see in a week I guess. :)

Durante

Torillian said:
Yes, when you synthesize something you get a list of possible traits to give the final product based on the traits of the materials you chose. Each of these possible traits has a point value and the total points you can use to put traits on the final product is based on the general quality of the materials you used. You can then use these points to put on as many traits as you can afford up to a maximum of 6.
That sounds about 5 times better than the system in Rorona, mostly because it makes item quality matter a lot more beyond completionism. Thanks for the explanation.

Coxy

lljride said:
I want to play this so bad, but that means I'd have to stop playing Disgaea 4. And hold off on Dark Souls. And continue holding off on WKC2.

Damn you Fall 2011 JRPGS!

Getting/got all those and Rune Factory:Oceans too but Totori overrules all else for me.

If I remember correctly there's 2 DLC characters too right?
Ceci and Cordelia?

Torillian

Neo Member
Durante said:
That sounds about 5 times better than the system in Rorona, mostly because it makes item quality matter a lot more beyond completionism. Thanks for the explanation.

My only real issue with the new system is that I don't see how there's a point in negative traits anymore. Never saw any quests that required specific traits so other than increasing the rank of your item when you don't have better options I don't see why you would ever put a negative trait like "more difficult to synthesize" on your items.

Other than that though I agree, definitely an improvement.

Rarutos

Coxy said:
Getting/got all those and Rune Factory:Oceans too but Totori overrules all else for me.

If I remember correctly there's 2 DLC characters too right?
Ceci and Cordelia?
Three actually!
Cordelia, Iksel (I'm pretty sure they're in a pack together), and Cecilia.

Also a bunch of BGM from other GUST games! I'll probably grab them all because I'm such a GUST fanboy...

Einbroch

Banned
Torillian said:
My only real issue with the new system is that I don't see how there's a point in negative traits anymore. Never saw any quests that required specific traits so other than increasing the rank of your item when you don't have better options I don't see why you would ever put a negative trait like "more difficult to synthesize" on your items.

Other than that though I agree, definitely an improvement.
Do they give you more points to play with if you throw a negative one on there?

Torillian

Neo Member
Einbroch said:
Do they give you more points to play with if you throw a negative one on there?

Nope, the negative traits cost points just like the positive ones. That's a good idea though, they should use that if they ever read these forums.

Top Bottom