• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Totori |OT| - Adventuring in Arland

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Started this a few days back, so much fun! Already got 6 hours in. It's so relaxing, diaogue is great, battle system is simple but still fun. More people need to be playing this

Quick question, is it posible to get the true ending on my first playthrough? Anything I should know?

Vally

I knew nothing about this game, but the screenshots looked lovely and I need my RPG fix until FFXIII-2 comes out so I decided to buy it.

I played for about 2 hours and just got the adventurer's license... I like how the game opens up after that, time-limits can be a bit stressful at times but overall I love how much freedom you are given to do what you want. Love the music too :D

Ermac

How difficult is this game compared to other JRPGs?

You seem to have quoted a post from the Game of Thrones thread?

This game is pretty easy, I'm five hours in and have not had much difficulty at all. It's more of a relaxing RPG, sorta like Recettear.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You seem to have quoted a post from the Game of Thrones thread?

This game is pretty easy, I'm five hours in and have not had much difficulty at all. It's more of a relaxing RPG, sorta like Recettear.

OMG you went an hour back in time! :p

scy

Atelier titles have a weird relationship with the flow of time.

I feel bad about this. I think my copy of Rorona and Totori are both sealed somewhere :( I should sit down and just finish them up at some point.

george_us

Atelier titles have a weird relationship with the flow of time.

I feel bad about this. I think my copy of Rorona and Totori are both sealed somewhere :( I should sit down and just finish them up at some point.
I highly doubt I'm ever going to finish Rorona because of the strict time limit but I'm 13 and a half hours into Totori and having fun. Just got the highest rank for my adventurers license and now I'm just focused on making weapons and armor until something plot related happens.

Ravage

I highly doubt I'm ever going to finish Rorona because of the strict time limit but I'm 13 and a half hours into Totori and having fun. Just got the highest rank for my adventurers license and now I'm just focused on making weapons and armor until something plot related happens.

Were you attempting to accomplish all the endings in a single (Rorona) playthrough? :p

Ermac

Can someone tell me a spoiler free way of getting the true ending in Totori?

elty

How do you get Dark Dew? Sterk is at 60 friendship, he left the party and then came back to my atelier but didn't bring anything?

Also, am I reading those guide correctly that you need Mimi to be lv 50 to get her ending? It is a pain not to use Mel and Sterk together when they are the only one that can take a few hits. With the same tier weapon Sterk hits 40 more than Mimi.

ChryZ

Finished the game recently. My first this-gen JRPG. The English voice acting was pretty annoying, but fortunately the original Japanese CVs with subs were an option. The game was relatively easy and forgiving for most of the experience, but also fatally deceptive. I was under the impression of "doing pretty well" until the "Bad Ending" stabbed me in the back. I was suppose to do specific things, but the game didn't really stressed their urgency. I had to branch off an older save and got my second reality check when I was challenged by the final story boss. I had to learn, painfully so, that my grasp of the crafting/traits system was sub par. It took me a couple save branches to master the alchemy arts and to come up with some killer stuff. This all might sound negative, but I totally adore the game otherwise: heart melting coming of age story, great characters, deep alchemy system, fantastic soundtrack, pretty art work/direction and super smooth cel-shading. Loved it!

Ravage

Yay finally got my platinum! :D

How do you get Dark Dew? Sterk is at 60 friendship, he left the party and then came back to my atelier but didn't bring anything?

You can get Dark Dew from SpringCups.
Tip: Unlock the superior Spring Liquid+ effect first by using high 'category' ingredients. Try sorting your ingredients by 'category' and choose the ones at the top.

I don't really get your 2nd question though, isn't that part of the Sterk-related event?

Finished the game recently. My first this-gen JRPG. The English voice acting was pretty annoying, but fortunately the original Japanese CVs with subs were an option. The game was relatively easy and forgiving for most of the experience, but also fatally deceptive. I was under the impression of "doing pretty well" until the "Bad Ending" stabbed me in the back. I was suppose to do specific things, but the game didn't really stressed their urgency. I had to branch off an older save and got my second reality check when I was challenged by the final story boss. I had to learn, painfully so, that my grasp of the crafting/traits system was sub par. It took me a couple save branches to master the alchemy arts and to come up with some killer stuff. This all might sound negative, but I totally adore the game otherwise: heart melting coming of age story, great characters, deep alchemy system, fantastic soundtrack, pretty art work/direction and super smooth cel-shading. Loved it!

Sounds like we have the exact same experience :)

The crafting system is without doubt the best i've ever seen in games. The deep mechanics combined with a time limit really forces you to think creatively to achieve the best and most efficient results. The multiple Chim helpers certainly require a small amount of parallel processing ;)

It took me some time to master the new changes, but i found out that the best (but most time-consuming) way to create powerful items is to employ the use of an 'intermediate' to transfer useful traits between ingredient categories (e.g. plant -> gunpowder) and a 'CP booster' (usually a high level synthesis item) to allow you to fill up all 5 slots with the most powerful traits. A 120 quality N.A. with Effect Boost L, Lone Slayer L, Final Strike+, Satisfying L and Apocalyse is just pure win when combined with Ether Ink's Item Effect+.

Quite a contrast from Atelier Rorona which requires you to master trait cancellation and combination as the order of trait appearing actually matters (only the top 5 are selected).

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Also, am I reading those guide correctly that you need Mimi to be lv 50 to get her ending? It is a pain not to use Mel and Sterk together when they are the only one that can take a few hits. With the same tier weapon Sterk hits 40 more than Mimi.

You can get Dark Dew from SpringCups.
Tip: Unlock the superior Spring Liquid+ effect first by using high 'category' ingredients. Try sorting your ingredients by 'category' and choose the ones at the top.

I don't really get your 2nd question though, isn't that part of the Sterk-related event?

I think he's referring to the Sterk event where he gives you a Dark Dew (among other things), and item I believe is necessary to make the Spring Cup in the first place. ^^;

I don't remember the exact trigger, but I believe that for Sterk's event where he brings the stuff you have to be in Rorona's Atelier to trigger it. It won't trigger in Totori's IIRC.

Yay finally got my platinum! :D

Congrats!! ^_^ This remains the only game I've ever platinumed.

Ravage

I think he's referring to the Sterk event where he gives you a Dark Dew (among other things), and item I believe is necessary to make the Spring Cup in the first place. ^^;

I don't remember the exact trigger, but I believe that for Sterk's event where he brings the stuff you have to be in Rorona's Atelier to trigger it. It won't trigger in Totori's IIRC.

Oh now i remember ;p

The event which
Sterk passes you all the items left behind by Rorona's master
can only be triggered at Rorona's Atelier when you hit 50 relationship points with Sterk. Not sure what happens if you witness the 60 pt event first though.

Congrats!! ^_^ This remains the only game I've ever platinumed.

Thanks, it was fun getting all the endings :)

Out of nowhere I'm suddenly intrigued to try this game out, there isn't a demo on PSN at all perhaps?
I'm reading about time limits and such, but I'm looking for something I can just play and relax with on an evening, time limits tend to stress me out, would this be a problem? I've never played an Atelier game before so I don't know what to expect

Ravage

Out of nowhere I'm suddenly intrigued to try this game out, there isn't a demo on PSN at all perhaps?
I'm reading about time limits and such, but I'm looking for something I can just play and relax with on an evening, time limits tend to stress me out, would this be a problem? I've never played an Atelier game before so I don't know what to expect

Atelier Totori has a very open structure where you can freely switch between exploring, hunting or synthesising. Don't worry too much about the time limit, the deadlines are pretty lax and there's minimal penalties for failing them.

I've only played the PS3 Atelier games but i think most would agree that this is a series you can relax and have fun with. As long as you don't stress yourself out by being too ambitious (like attempting to Platinum the game in one playthrough), i think it'll be fine :)

Edit: Oh there's no demo for this unfortunately. But if it's any help, Totori is a charming game with great story, music and characters. A very deep crafting system with a simple but tactical turn-based combat.

Card Boy

Banned
This game is not only good but its a way better RPG than anything Final Fantasy in the last few years.

I decided to pick it up as it was real cheap, plus these games seem to go for shitloads on Ebay once they go out of print.

I also started playing this a few days ago and it's really good. It actually makes me feel bad for dismissing Gust's output for all these years. You're definitely right about these games quickly going out of print. In fact, I just ordered Rorona in case I won't be able to find it later.

I also started playing this a few days ago and it's really good. It actually makes me feel bad for dismissing Gust's output for all these years. You're definitely right about these games quickly going out of print. In fact, I just ordered Rorona in case I won't be able to find it later.

To be fair, a decent bit of Gust's output over the past decade or so has been no big loss in terms of dismissing
emot-v.gif
and that's coming from a fan!

They really are amazingly hit-or-miss with their titles. Happily, every report indicates that Meruru is a grand-fuckin'-slam in terms of mechanics and (mostly) plot. Looking forward to that one.

Ciel no Surge, though? Who the hell knows.
emot-v.gif

Top Bottom