• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software Invading Dark Souls Release Date Breaker's Worlds, Kicking Ass

29781orig.jpg

http://www.incgamers.com/News/29047/from-software-is-killing-early-dark-souls-players

Yes, you're reading that correctly.

From Software, developers of Demon's Souls and it's upcoming 'spiritual successor' Dark Souls, are taking a characteristically uncompromising approach to players who have managed to get their hands on the game early.

Like Demon's Souls, Dark Souls comes packed with a mechanic that allows players to invade other's worlds. From Software are using this feature to send out maxed-out characters into the early-adopters games and systemically killing them off.

The tragic element in all of this is that it's the Japanese retail stores that are at fault, some releasing the game early ahead of tomorrow's official launch.

Screenshots (like the rather fuzzy one above) show characters at the maximum level of 145 and packing the top-level 99 for all of their stats being used as invaders. We're currently in the process of reviewing Dark Souls, roughly 35 hours in and we're at level 29... just in case you thought From Software's tactics weren't all that harsh.
So awesome. Just a shame Japan gets this gem tomorrow and the rest of the world has to wait...

TreIII

Wow! And I thought the way ASW gave a little jab at "Flying Getters" in BB was interesting. This is a whole new level of "strike the fear of God in you" level of trolling here! :lol

Einbroch

Banned
Really? You guys think it's cool? These aren't pirates. They're online...These are people who bought the game early. Punish your player-base for a store's fuckups.

That'll show those stores not to release their games early!

Man

ultron87 said:
Yeah, let's punish the people who were enthusiastic about it enough to find a store that was selling it early.
I would love to be a victim of the cleansing.

Einbroch said:
Really? You guys think it's cool? These aren't pirates. They're online...These are people who bought the game early. Punish your player-base for a store's fuckups.

Please, the players who get regulated will probably laugh about it and keep on playing no matter how many times they die. This is Dark Souls, after all.

Einbroch said:

It's so everyone is on the same page. otherwise, early adopters get to grind and be dicks to everyone on day 1.

There are rules to this game, it isn't COD

Skilletor

Einbroch said:

I think it's awesome. But I go in to the game ready to die.

Kusagari

Einbroch said:

If you can't appreciate this then you can't appreciate Demon/Dark Souls.

This fits the game so much and is fucking awesome. I'd be honored to be annihilated by them.

Skilletor said:
I think it's awesome. But I go in to the game ready to die.

exactly. if people think this is bad, they're going to be pretty mad when they find out the whole game is filled with shit like this :)

Einbroch

Banned
Smision said:
It's so everyone is on the same page. otherwise, early adopters get to grind and be dicks to everyone on day 1.

There are rules to this game, it isn't COD
MMOs do this all the time with early releases for pre-orders or what-have-you.

I'm just saying that if they don't like early releases, go after the store and tell them to knock it off. If they're just going in games and killing you over and over, that's not Dark Souls, because you have no chance in winning.

ultron87

Can max level players always invade your game or are the devs just using a cheat? Didn't Demon Souls limit invaders to a fairly even level range?

Einbroch said:

It would be fucking amazing to have this happen.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WOW; I'd be honored!

Respawn

Banned
Einbroch said:

You really don't understand thus your hastened post.

ultron87 said:
Can max level players always invade your game or are the devs just using a cheat? Didn't Demon Souls limit invaders to a fairly even level range?

There was a limit but as this is the company that made the game their characters might have a GM tag or something that can let them go anywhere.

sleepykyo

Einbroch said:

It isn't like they are deleting the accounts. They're just having some fun with the early adopters. Heck, I hope Namco decides to bring it on when they're release it in the US.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Kusagari said:

This fits the game so much and is fucking awesome. I'd be honored to be annihilated by them.

:) . yeah, having one of these beasts show up in your game would be pretty damn cool...

Bwahaha only people who didn't enjoy or haven't played demons souls would fail to understand the humor here. You go into this game expecting to die horribly, people. You laugh at it, you relish it. This isn't some rpg or fps where death is a rare and annoying setback, it's a part of the flow of the game. I would laugh myself silly with fear if this happened to me.

Wickwire

That's some funny shit. Can't they just play off line? They will still be levels and levels above the release day crowd when they come back.

Clunker

Kusagari said:

I was going to say something very similar to this -- getting ruined like this is sort of a "Game with Fame" moment, particularly since the kinds of players that are hunting down this game before release date are almost guaranteed to be DS superfans.

In a masochistic game like Dark Souls, getting spanked this hard so early is kind of a reward, not a punishment.

From Software are using this feature to send out maxed-out characters into the early-adopters games and systemically killing them off.
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

ultron87 said:
Yeah, let's punish the people who were enthusiastic about it enough to find a store that was selling it early.
I believe they call this "tough love"

Top Bottom