• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 map ported to WebGL

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
1y0F0.png

Gvpcy.png

Similar to the Sonic WebGL engine from earlier this year, a full map from Team Fortress 2 has been loaded up in a port of Source to WebGL.

Links:

Original post:

Took the time to get the source and video demo for the Source Engine demo online tonight. Have a look!

And of course don't forget to check out the Tech Talk post if you want to know more of the nitty gritty details!

I stressed for a little while about fixing some of the remaining issues before posting anything (like getting water rendering) but in the end I decided that the demo serves it's purpose in that it shows that we can push a lot of geometry for a complex scene and still run at the speeds that realtime games require. Beyond that, however, I won't be able to make use of the format for any other projects and at this point I want to start working on something that is actually playable, not just looks pretty. As such, spending any further time on the format isn't practical.

I have started on my next WebGL project, and hopefully I'll be at a point that I can start posting about it soon. See you then!​

About WebGL:

Wikipedia said:
WebGL is a context of the canvas HTML element that provides a 3D computer graphics API without the use of plug-ins. The specification was released as version 1.0 on March 3, 2011. WebGL is managed by the non-profit Khronos Group.

M3d10n

Sorry to burst the bubble, but "rendering the map" is the lightest part of TF2. Getting the actual game running with players killing each other all over the map fully in javascript would bring even an i9 to its knees.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
M3d10n said:
Sorry to burst the bubble, but "rendering the map" is the lightest part of TF2. Getting the actual game running with players killing each other all over the map fully in javascript would bring even an i9 to its knees.

Ehhhhh....... the map has many more polygons and more complex effects than the players would. The only bottleneck with the players would be lag, which could be solved by WebSockets.

njr

I've played 200 hours of that map, I never want to see it again. It's where team objectives go to die.

M3d10n

Andrex said:
Ehhhhh....... the map has many more polygons and more complex effects than the players would. The only bottleneck with the players would be lag, which could be solved by WebSockets.
The players are not static polygons. They animate. They collide with things. They shoot lots of projectiles on each other. That uses CPU. Lots of it.

My old dual core 3GHz Athlon struggles when things get too hectic in TF2 as it is. I dread to think about how it would perform when even menial tasks like a line-plane test are made via javascript.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
M3d10n said:
The players are not static polygons. They animate. They collide with things. They shoot lots of projectiles on each other. That uses CPU. Lots of it.

My old dual core 3GHz Athlon struggles when things get too hectic in TF2 as it is. I dread to think about how it would perform when even menial tasks like a line-plane test are made via javascript.

It's not "just JavaScript." WebGL is hardware accelerated. It should perform exactly as well as an equivalent would in OpenGL as far as rendering goes. Computation might be a bit tough, but Native Client could solve that anyways.

Rapstah

I wouldn't assume the map has that many more polygons than a player. Pretty much every single surface in the map is bumpmapped. I'm almost certain that three or four players with gear out-polygon the average launch TF2 map.

EDIT: Hm, I forgot about the spawn rooms and behind the scenes stuff in the basements. Still arguable.

sagi446

Neo Member
Andrex said:
It's not "just JavaScript." WebGL is hardware accelerated. It should perform exactly as well as an equivalent would in OpenGL as far as rendering goes. Computation might be a bit tough, but Native Client could solve that anyways.

We're not really benefiting from WebGL if we're gonna end up using a Native Client.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
sagi446 said:
We're not really benefiting from WebGL if we're gonna end up using a Native Client.

The point is that there's no technical reason modern games can't be played from the browser without plugins anymore.

Parallax said:
people hate 2fort? really?
people have hated 2fort for 4 years and counting

it's a legacy map that doesn't work in tf2 because the game mode of ctf itself doesn't work that well in tf2

95% of 2fort games are 999:99 long deathmatch fests where nothing happens, you'd almost prefer to run around lost in hydro or spam endlessly in dustbowl than play 2fort

it's synonymous these days with bad players and bad servers

2Fort is comfortable for beginners since the map has defined areas for classes (snipers perch- narrow hallways for pyros to defense...etc..) and you never win/never lose and get easy kills from people that attempt to go after objectives.

edit: shouldn't have used "great"....2Fort really is pretty bad..

EmCeeGramr said:
people have hated 2fort for 4 years and counting

it's a legacy map that doesn't work in tf2 because the game mode of ctf itself doesn't work that well in tf2

95% of 2fort games are 999:99 long deathmatch fests where nothing happens, you'd almost prefer to run around lost in hydro or spam endlessly in dustbowl than play 2fort

it's synonymous these days with bad players and bad servers
Yep, it's a damn shame because it was some of the most fun I had in the older TF games, but it doesn't work within TF2's mechanics. In TF2 I just use it to troll around and jump to the enemy battlements with a sticky jumper + caber demo and kill snipers.

Billychu said:
Have you played it in TF2? It's one of the worst maps to ever be in an FPS in this generation.

feed your hatred

I like 2fort when I feel like doin my own thang. Even if my team really sucks I can still have a good time which isn't as true for most other maps.

Sibylus

Banned
markot said:
2fort is the best >_<!

That and Double Cross.
I feel you, man. Sure, it's often team deathmatch rather than CTF, but it feels like home. Nice to just settle in and relax.

Before Valve patched it out 2Fort was fun for capturing the intel as a civillian scout while listening to the reactions of people who didn't know any better and freak out. I can only imagine what F2P players would be thinking.

I do think I got kicked once or twice since apparently disabling the ability to shoot is the same as hacking/cheating. :/

markot

Banned
Honestly, I just like relaxing in 2fort, I dont even bother with the case.

2 fort, 24hour rounds, no caps to win, instant respawn. My ideal 2fort server. I just like it cause its a small map I think, and its got a nice lay out.

Sometimes I like objectives, and the bigger maps, but otherwise I just like to load it up and get some quick games in, its almost always action packed.

Cipherr

markot said:

2 fort, 24hour rounds, no caps to win, instant respawn. My ideal 2fort server. I just like it cause its a small map I think, and its got a nice lay out.

Thats the reason I hate it. Noone bothers with the actual objective and its so crazily camped thats its just boring. There are a million deathmatch fps games out there, this is one of the few without a death match mode, I fire up TF2 to play an objective based FPS and Boring ass snipe snipe camp 50 sentries per building with no time limit servers are terrible. I stopped being satisfied with KD ratios and how many 'points' I have way back in Quake 3.

This looks pretty impressive, way cooler looking than the sonic demo. Which was still pretty cool, on a technical level.

Also, the 2fort hate? 2fort is a great map.

markot said:

Sometimes I like objectives, and the bigger maps, but otherwise I just like to load it up and get some quick games in, its almost always action packed.
shameful

you're not playing tf2, you're playing a with a toy that has tf2's sounds and visuals

Top Bottom