• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Novel Writing-Age: NaNoWriMo 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Winner_120_100_white.png

Code:
Misanthropy		75,101
Verdre 			50,293
bengraven		52,121
Incendiary		56,133
Rezbit			54,411
Jedeye Sniv		50,305
RetroGamer42		50,236
Sonicbug		50,590
GoncaloCCastro		52,882
John Dunbar 		50,074
Wurst			50,005
Delio			50,152
Alien Bob		50,183
bjork			52,352
BorkBork		53,722
bakemono		50,150
Ruuppa			50,426
Aaron			50,018
Souplak			51,058
Cyan			50,401
Yeef			50,073
Niblet			50,217
Ashes1396		50,000
Narag 			50,218
zaryn			50,095
Tangent 		50,050
Spruchy			50,001
Ela Hadrun		50,116
DumbNameD		50,009
FairyD			50,007
lupin23rd		50,080
Alur			51,340
Petit Melon		50,594
Ceebs			64,285

Purgatory:
Code:
Anslon 			32,155
Lissar			31,704
RDreamer		27,561
Wheeliedude		25,000
Prince Aren		24,728
snorggy			22,067
SephriJ			20,692

Infernum:
Code:
Mystic Theurge		18,411
Siyou			18,012
V_Arnold		17,000
Shiv47			16,281
Steamlord		15,437
Nihilistic Monk		13,715
alex chilton		13,579
chazmonkey		13,520
Crunched		10,087
Jibber Hack		10,049

Gehenna:
Code:
Chococat		9879
AnkitT			8032
Dresden			8000
Clevinger		7498
besada			6601
Kapura			6075
flippeh			5962
AdrianWerner		5735
SteveWinwood		5420
typo			5200
Skilletor		5167
TheWiicast		5052
Davedough		5003
ImperialInPeril		5002
Blast Processing	4907
Bootaaay 		4601
Ikabu			4265
Kave_Man		4142
Nert			4047
Omikaru			4040
OnesAndZeroes		4001
bard			3604
nicoga3000		3540
ultron87		3370
kunu			3204
mr afghan jones		2800
RichardAM		2567
Puddles			2500
RyanDG			2412
Ainaurdur		2086
SRG01			2011
Chriswok		2000
Earthstrike		1757
TheFatOne		1688
Fong Ghoul		1677
JCX			1474
Notrollious		1361
Nappucino		1309
Carlisle		1312
baconbitz		1008
CF_Fighter		1000
Alucard			669
bucklam66		547
ssinisterss		500
Lazlo Woodbine		500
BrLvgThrChmstry		147
Chef Cat		2
Timedog			2

Limbus Puerorum:
Evlar
Thnikkaman
Goldmund
Foxy Fox 39
MagniHarvald
survivor
Zombie James
GDGF
Orcastar
Zeitgeister
Shanadeus
Lionel Mandrake
Kod1ak
Sye d'Burns
Nix
Cryptozoologist
Awesome Animals
Zeeman
Tim the Wiz
wrowa
this guy are sick
rainking187
FrontalMonk
iirate
leftstick
DurielBlack
Hato-kun
DiscoVampire
PhoncipleBone
low-G
Miri
Darkenmal
Mercury Fred
Shurs
dramatis
EskimoJoe
A Human Becoming
n0b
Phaethon0017

OP Preserved for posterity:

GAFers! Have you dreamed of writing a novel some day, but just never gotten around to it? Do you hate having free time? Then NaNoWriMo may be right for you.

http://www.nanowrimo.org (note: the site is often slow during the lead-in to NaNoWriMo)

NaNoWriMo.org said:
What: Writing one 50,000-word novel from scratch in a month's time.

Who: You!

Why: The reasons are endless! To actively participate in one of our era's most enchanting art forms! To write without having to obsess over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from our novels at parties. To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work.

When: Writing begins November 1. To be added to the official list of winners, you must reach the 50,000-word mark by November 30 at midnight.
Write a 50,000 word (175 page) novel in a month? Yes it's insane, but that's the point. Write like hell, shut down your internal editor (that can come later), and just get it done.

NaNoWriMo.org said:
Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down.
We have some time until the start of November--enough to decide you're going to do it, and come up with a few ideas for your novel.

We had 61 GAF participants and 21 winners last year. Which is, frankly, insane. Can we beat that high water mark? We can sure as hell try!

I will keep this post updated with participants and their word counts.

Leaderboard:
Code:
[u][B]Benchmark		50,000[/B][/u]
(People in red have completed NaNoWriMo previously. The benchmark for completing 50k in 30 days is underlined.)

Wall of Shame:

Useful tools:
Scrivener: a word processor that incorporates scene and character notes, outlines, research documents, and more. Get it on free trial for NaNo: right here.
Adoptions: on the NaNo forums, it's traditional to leave some ideas that other people can pick up and run with. Adopt-a-plot, adopt-an-opening-line, or adopt any number of other things.
No Plot? No Problem: a book by the site's founder, intended as an aid for completing your novel and getting through the month. Amazon link (with GAF referral).
Snowflake Method: a highly recommended system that helps you get from single-sentence plot to detailed outline. Find it here. I have used this several times and it was instrumental in my actually completing my novels.
Write or Die: start writing in a text box. And don't stop... or else. Give it a try, very motivating.
NaNo Sprints: start your engines! Get off to the races with some NaNo sprints, where you compete with other NaNoers to write a bunch of words in a short interval. In the NaNo forums, or on Twitter.
Q10: an alternative word processor which removes all distractions, helping you focus on your work. Get it here.
(if anyone else finds some good stuff, post it and I'll add it here)

FAQ:
The internets are broken?
No, the site is just getting hammered. This happens every year.

How do I write 50k words?
One at a time. Seriously though, if you can keep up with the benchmark (1,667 a day) you're golden. If you can't, no problem, just set aside a weekend day or days to play catchup.

How do I update my word count?
They don't have very good grouping features on the site, so we just use the OP to keep up to date. If you want your word count updated, post your final word count for the day in this thread. I'll try to update the leaderboard in this post daily, most likely in the morning.

Is there any reason to actually sign up on the site itself?
Yes! First of all, you can have your novel officially validated by the site (copy/paste from your word processor into their word counter). This lets you officially win, and gets you congratulations and all sorts of fame and glory. Second, by signing up, you will get "pep talk" emails each week from famous authors. This year, that list includes Brandon Sanderson, Jonathan Lethem, and Audrey Niffenegger.

Does my story have to be an original work of genius?
No. It's whatever you want to write. So write Thundercats fanfic while watching AMVs on youtube to your heart's content.

Can I/Do I have to share a synopsis or excerpts?
You don't have to do anything in this thread except update your word count if you want to be on the leaderboard in the OP. But if you want to share any of your writing, or your plot, or your totally awesome characters, please do so! It adds to the fun.

Cyan

Banned
Previous results:

2010:
nano_10_winner_120x90-2.png

61 participants. 21 winners.
Code:
Spruchy			65,483
Prince Aren		54,590
Narag			57,000
SephriJ			50,002
Skilletor		50,004
Jedeye Sniv		50,297
Omikaru			50,163
Ceebs			51,469
Sonicbug		50,058
Cyan			50,452
bakemono		50,052
GoncaloCCastro		51,323
DumbNameD		50,071
bbsting120		51,169
Aaron			51,000
Anslon			50,367, baby
Ashes1396		50,106
Niblet			54,815
ZephyrFate		50,238
n0b			50,063
Tangent			50,902

2009:
nano_09_winner_120x90.png

55 participants. 13 winners.
Code:
Great Rumbler			66,843
ZephyrFate			52,002
noi5e				50,640
SephriJ				50,324
Ward				50,242
Cyan 				50,207
Sloane				50,060
koam				50,054
Yaweee 				50,030
Charron				50,021
Aaron 				50,015
DumbNameD			50,011
bakemono			50,006

2008:
nano_08_winner_small.gif

32 participants. 10 winners.
Code:
Ela Hadrun			61,121
Mr. Snrub			52,734
Cyan 				51,088
Aaron				50,144
Wilsongt			50,611
Azih				50,492
Yaweee				50,049
DumbNameD			50,031
bard				50,019
Motion Picture Soundtrack	50,008

2007:
nano_07_winner_small-1.gif

36 participants. 5 winners.
Code:
Penguin				56,126
Cyan 				51,365
The Experiment			51,078
DumbNameD			50,302
Oldschoolgamer			50,203

2006: 14 participants. 0 winners.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Thanks once again for the hard work Cyan!

Well I'm unemployed and not studying, so I'm in. Hope I won't be on the idiot list with zero words again.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I'm in, for the third time, I believe. Never got past 5,000 words before. Before I just figured I start writing and see where it goes, and it turned out nowhere. And then I ended up having off says and figured I'd just play catch up. I didn't. This time I plan on coming up with some kind of an idea and do some outline/character stuff so I'll have something to work from.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Goldmund said:
Does it matter in which language (or any) we write? It says "national" and I feel severely excluded!

i remember reading they don't care what language you use. it's not like they're going to read it anyway.

intnowrimo just doesn't sound very good.

Goldmund

John Dunbar said:
i remember reading they don't care what language you use. it's not like they're going to read it anyway.

intnowrimo just doesn't sound very good.
Since you're correct about everything, I'll believe you.

Cyan

Banned
John Dunbar said:
This time I plan on coming up with some kind of an idea and do some outline/character stuff so I'll have something to work from.
It really, really helps!

Goldmund said:
Does it matter in which language (or any) we write? It says "national" and I feel severely excluded!
Nope, not at all! It's totally international, but as Dunbar notes, NaNoWriMo just sounds better. :)

Second time's a charm, didn't even get my novel off the ground last time and then was too far behind to catch up, so hopefully things will go better this time around. I doubt I'll complete it though, 1,600+ words a day is quite a bit above my usual output.

bengraven

Oh you sonofabitch NaNo. Right when I'm in the middle of my "you never finished your novel this year despite being unemployed for 11 months" guilt trip, you come up behind me and wave.

So now to debate what to write.

RDreamer

I've been tempted by this every year, and I think it was this last year that made me start a novel the month or so after. If I do this, though I won't be starting from scratch. I've got a 45 page novel started that I really need to get on with. I haven't written anything on it in a few months. Maybe I could use this month to get motivated and post updates and things with everyone else.

bengraven said:
Oh you sonofabitch NaNo. Right when I'm in the middle of my "you never finished your novel this year despite being unemployed for 11 months" guilt trip, you come up behind me and wave.

Hahaha, that's me too, kind of. I'm not unemployed but I've had a work at home job that's really light and had a lot more time than usual for the last few months, but haven't touched my novel.

Cyan

Banned
bengraven said:
:D

RDreamer said:
I've been tempted by this every year, and I think it was this last year that made me start a novel the month or so after. If I do this, though I won't be starting from scratch. I've got a 45 page novel started that I really need to get on with. I haven't written anything on it in a few months. Maybe I could use this month to get motivated and post updates and things with everyone else.
That's kind of sidestepping the intent of NaNo, but we've generally let people do that in the past. Just make sure you don't include your 45 pages in your word count.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
I'm going for it this year. More than 1200 words, I promise.

It'll be shit, but it'll be done.

"A giant roller coaster of a novel in 400 sizzling chapters. A searing indictment of domestic servitude in the eighteenth century with some hot Gypsies thrown in."

RDreamer

Cyan said:
:D

That's kind of sidestepping the intent of NaNo, but we've generally let people do that in the past. Just make sure you don't include your 45 pages in your word count.
I doubt it's sidestepping the "intent" of NaNo, which would be to encourage writing more! And obviously I'm not going to include 45 pages worth of stuff I did beforehand in any count if I did post here. It's just I'm not going to start a whole new novel this month when I really should be working on the one I started and can't get motivation for.

Cyan

Banned
RDreamer said:
I doubt it's sidestepping the "intent" of NaNo, which would be to encourage writing more!
The intent is to have you start and complete a large project in a single month, to write fearlessly, and to write more.

There's nothing wrong with using a pre-existing project, but it's normally discouraged. Largely because the second goal, writing fearlessly, becomes that much harder when you're writing something you already have expectations and feelings attached to.

Magni

I remember reading these threads every year, thinking about it but never doing it. I have a shit ton to do this November, but I'm in. If I don't do it this year I'll never do it.

No promises though, it'd be a miracle if I even hit my own goal, 30 000 words.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
So I'm not sure how useful this might be to people who are struggling for a story, but I'm getting a serious kick out of this action movie generator.

"In a galaxy of pain and hate, in a time of panic and necromancy, a ghost searches for revenge and battles crime."

"In a universe of illusion and virutal reality, in an era of computerization and suffering, a virtual reality programmer and a lost soul battle evil."

Lissar

Reluctant Member
OH, nearly forgot about this (like I do every year.)

I have lost every year since 2004 (last year I didn't even sign up because I was too busy.) This is the year I WILL DO IT! I was so close in 2009... I think I was 8000 words from the finish line before I just couldn't care anymore.

Hmm... I guess I could dust off my story idea about a thief who is captured and thrown into the defense effort of the city (because the city is between two countries who are warring against each other, though part of neither country as it is considered an unaffiliated trading city.) I liked the idea, but I've been putting it off because I'm resistant to writing about war.

bengraven

Cyan said:
The intent is to have you start and complete a large project in a single month, to write fearlessly, and to write more.

There's nothing wrong with using a pre-existing project, but it's normally discouraged. Largely because the second goal, writing fearlessly, becomes that much harder when you're writing something you already have expectations and feelings attached to.

Yep. It's something new and exciting to you. Something you may have planned out, but something you haven't set down to paper yet.

It's like saving a really good book for a long flight; despite wanting to crack the spine and start reading, you wait and start when your plane begins to leave the terminal.

Or sitting around and waiting until your new electronic toy is charged up before you start reading/browsing/texting/calling/playing games on it - sure you could have played with it right away since it came from the store 1/4 charged, but you want to wait until you can enjoy it fresh and charged.

Thnikkaman said:
So I'm not sure how useful this might be to people who are struggling for a story, but I'm getting a serious kick out of this action movie generator.

"In a galaxy of pain and hate, in a time of panic and necromancy, a ghost searches for revenge and battles crime."

"In a universe of illusion and virutal reality, in an era of computerization and suffering, a virtual reality programmer and a lost soul battle evil."

We used that last year for a joke.

But actually one of the ideas I got I ended up using in a GAF writing challenge.

I think that was the one I got only one 3rd place vote for, however. hahaha

EDIT: Bengraven answered my question "Something you may have planned out, but something you haven't set down to paper yet."

bengraven

CF_Fighter said:
I have story I've been turning over in my head for a while now and have even outlined to a certain point. I haven't written anything, but can I use that idea and the planning I've done so far?

Yeah, dude, you don't have to spend the first hour/day/week brainstorming. Some past winners will say they have outlines or even pages and pages of notes ready for the first day.

I actually had two novel ideas last year: a children's horror/fantasy novel and a fantasy novel for adults. I wrote two small one page examples of a chapter for both in the days before Nano and ended up choosing the adult's novel. I ended up re-writing everything I had written before, though it wasn't conciously to fit into the rule set, it was more about how I wanted to try something else.

Cyan

Banned
MagniHarvald said:
I remember reading these threads every year, thinking about it but never doing it. I have a shit ton to do this November, but I'm in. If I don't do it this year I'll never do it.
Lissar said:
This is the year I WILL DO IT!
Fuck yea.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Been working on my novel a little bit recently. I'm really busy and definitely don't have time for two books, but I'm gonna use this month as motivation to get most of the book done. I already have a couple thousand words but it'll be longer than 50k when done anyway. No idea if I qualify to participate really but I'll be using it myself regardless.

Cyan

Banned
bengraven said:
Yeah, dude, you don't have to spend the first hour/day/week brainstorming. Some past winners will say they have outlines or even pages and pages of notes ready for the first day.
Having done both, it's orders of magnitude easier with an outline. Writing 1700 words a day is tough enough, without adding invention of the story from whole cloth on top of that.

Emerson said:
Been working on my novel a little bit recently. I'm really busy and definitely don't have time for two books, but I'm gonna use this month as motivation to get most of the book done. I already have a couple thousand words but it'll be longer than 50k when done anyway. No idea if I qualify to participate really but I'll be using it myself regardless.
As mentioned above, it's generally discouraged to use a pre-existing project, but I'd be happy to throw you in on the leaderboard if you want to keep track of the new words you've written in November.

bengraven

One thing to prepare for if you're thin-skinned is the inevitable anti-NaNo backlash.

1) published writers or editors who feel it's cheap and bemoan the suddenly jump in shitty manuscripts.

2) people who are annoyed that their social media feeds are full of people talking about their novels and call out the novelists as "hacks", "self-absorbed" or even the bizarre "hipsters".

Emerson said:

What's cool is this is kind of "Writer's Month", period, where we get some exposure. So even though you're not doing a NaNo novel, you'll have a lot more people to talk about writing, the business of writing and the process, etc.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Okay, the ghost fighting necromancers and the virtual reality universe are growing on me. They could be pulpy and hilarious.

RDreamer

I suppose you guys are kind of convincing. Maybe I will start a new novel, though I'd hate to start something else and just not finish that. It'll be especially funny because my intent with the one I haven't finished was just to write something new and exciting and get back into the habit of writing. It wasn't something big and planned out.

I have one really really loose idea that I might start, then. It was supposed to be more fleshed out, though, especially mores than the one I started already. Oh well. It's probably going to be called either "Long Live the Dead King." It's oddly inspired by the happenings in Madison/Wisconsin this year, but put into a medieval setting and obviously way different because of that. That and more is on the line.

bengraven

Cyan said:
Having done both, it's orders of magnitude easier with an outline. Writing 1700 words a day is tough enough, without adding invention of the story from whole cloth on top of that.

Oh for the love of God, don't remind me.

I have an upper limit of probably 2000 words I can write in a day, when I work at my natural pace.

So if something gets in the way or I slack off a couple days, I'm done. I am literally going to have to work every single day to finish or I will fail. If I miss one day, I won't be able to finish...

...is what the self-defeatist in me says. But this year I want to fight past my own limitations.

“Bruce had me up to three miles a day, really at a good pace. We’d run the three miles in twenty-one or twenty-two minutes. Just under eight minutes a mile [Note: when running on his own in 1968, Lee would get his time down to six-and-a half minutes per mile]. So this morning he said to me “We’re going to go five.” I said, “Bruce, I can’t go five. I’m a helluva lot older than you are, and I can’t do five.” He said, “When we get to three, we’ll shift gears and it’s only two more and you’ll do it.” I said “Okay, hell, I’ll go for it.” So we get to three, we go into the fourth mile and I’m okay for three or four minutes, and then I really begin to give out. I’m tired, my heart’s pounding, I can’t go any more and so I say to him, “Bruce if I run any more,” –and we’re still running-”if I run any more I’m liable to have a heart attack and die.” He said, “Then die.” It made me so mad that I went the full five miles. Afterward I went to the shower and then I wanted to talk to him about it. I said, you know, “Why did you say that?” He said, “Because you might as well be dead. Seriously, if you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it’ll spread over into the rest of your life. It’ll spread into your work, into your morality, into your entire being. There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. oA man must cnstantly exceed his level

Truth.

Okay, the ghost fighting necromancers and the virtual reality universe are growing on me. They could be pulpy and hilarious.

Almost everything I want to write is genre-twisting/marrying works ala Cherie Priest or China Mieville. Fantasy, horror, sci-fi, mystery, and western, sometimes all at the same time, nearly overwhelming but lovingly chaotic.

I'm probably going to write my fantasy western about magicians battling at high noon on the streets of Deadwood.

I also have a kid's horror fantasy novel which I'm pretty excited about and have wanted to write for years, but with both fantasy and horror novels becoming bigger and bigger with kids I worry I'm going to be a "me, too" writer.

Also have a sci-fi/fantasy idea.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
bengraven said:
One thing to prepare for if you're thin-skinned is the inevitable anti-NaNo backlash.

1) published writers or editors who feel it's cheap and bemoan the suddenly jump in shitty manuscripts.

2) people who are annoyed that their social media feeds are full of people talking about their novels and call out the novelists as "hacks", "self-absorbed" or even the bizarre "hipsters".

What's cool is this is kind of "Writer's Month", period, where we get some exposure. So even though you're not doing a NaNo novel, you'll have a lot more people to talk about writing, the business of writing and the process, etc.
Yeah this is really what I'm looking for. A thread full of people writing will be nice to read and probably good motivation as well.

Cyan, I just used the search to find your name cause I was going to ask when the next NaNoWriMo thread was going up. Then I click this thread. Great to see so many have already signed up. Count me in!

I'll be celebrating my son's first birthday in the month of November.

survivor

Banned
I tried doing this last year but I really struggled. I realized I can't for the life of me write a proper scene. Like I can't juggle between characters dialogues, how they move, their descriptions or talk about the settings without thinking for hours. It was extremely slow for me.

So I have been thinking of trying something more dialogues driven. I guess it would be a play wouldn't it? Would that count?

zaryn

I'm thinking of giving this a shot this year. I want to write, but I find the act incredibly intimidating. I have at least four books on grammar or writing, but have written less than 500 words in the past year. Perhaps this is what I need to get past that? Sign me up!

Cyan

Banned
RDreamer said:
I suppose you guys are kind of convincing. Maybe I will start a new novel, though I'd hate to start something else and just not finish that. It'll be especially funny because my intent with the one I haven't finished was just to write something new and exciting and get back into the habit of writing. It wasn't something big and planned out.
Listen, if you feel like you're more likely to be excited about and finish the project you've already started, then do it. Don't let us push you around. :)

bengraven said:
So if something gets in the way or I slack off a couple days, I'm done. I am literally going to have to work every single day to finish or I will fail. If I miss one day, I won't be able to finish...

...is what the self-defeatist in me says. But this year I want to fight past my own limitations.
Good man. It's kind of inevitable that you'll miss a day or two. Shit happens. But remember, if you're writing 2000 a day, you'll finish in 25 days. Meaning you can miss up to 5 days during the month and still be just fine. Don't tell yourself that one day missed=failure; that's a recipe for failing! (much like "one cookie=failed my diet")

zaryn said:
I'm thinking of giving this a shot this year. I want to write, but I find the act incredibly intimidating. I have at least four books on grammar or writing, but have written less than 500 words in the past year. Perhaps this is what I need to get past that? Sign me up!
The key thing to remember is that you don't have to write something good. Assume that what you write will be crappy, and you won't need to be intimidated!

V_Arnold

I am in. I LOVE having strict headlines, and although I had to miss the last writing contest (the second I was planning to participate in, lol), I will definitely not miss this.

Who would stop me from refining an already done piece in a few months time once this is out, right?

Delio

Oh i didnt know you guys had this thread last year. Anywho i'm in this year been gearing up with my bios and reading some tips on Nano. This is my first year so let's see how it goes.

Cyan

Banned
Anslon said:
Cyan, I just used the search to find your name cause I was going to ask when the next NaNoWriMo thread was going up. Then I click this thread. Great to see so many have already signed up. Count me in!

I'll be celebrating my son's first birthday in the month of November.
:)

That your son in your avatar? Cute kid.

survivor said:
So I have been thinking of trying something more dialogues driven. I guess it would be a play wouldn't it? Would that count?
Sure, but you might have a hard time getting a 50,000 word play written. ;)

If you're interested in plays, there's a NaNo equivalent called Script Frenzy that runs every... April? I think that's right. I would suggest that if you want to do this one, you go for a heavy-dialogue novel rather than a play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom