• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid II: Monochromatic Nostalgia on Planet SR388

I'm a diehard Metroid fan but up until now, one of the only games in the series I never finished let alone owned was Metroid II. I have fond memories of this title, it was my first ever Metroid game and my first "mature" platform adventure after cutting my teeth on Mega Man. I'd been interested in the game as a sixth grader after seeing the big preview/map special in the December 1991 Nintendo Power (volume 31, I still have it and it's currently aiding me in playing the early bits of the game, haha) but I bought Battletoads later that summer and saving up allowance money for Super Mario Land 2 took precedence later that fall. Fortunately, when I got to the seventh grade, one of my fellow students bought it early in the school year and would bring it to school almost every day.

Me and about three other guys shared the same save file and would take turns playing it during study hall and Phy Ed on the bench in between basketball or floor hockey matches until one of them finally got to the Metroid Queen. I remember us watching over his shoulder in anticipation as he defeated her. "Will he have enough missles to beat her?! Oh sweet, you can
bomb her from the inside?!"

The game doesn't get enough credit IMHO. Sure it's got issues. Sometimes claustrophobic room layouts, lack of a basic map, ect. But it accomplished a lot both action and atmosphere wise for an original Gameboy title. The challenge of being forced to find and earn your power ups, the creepy Chozo statues adding a sense of exploring a dead civilization, the eery music (or just plain cool music as in the case of the overworld theme), I'd never played a game like this before, as a kid it was a revelation. And exterminating the Metroid one by one while nervously anticipating the next surprise encounter is a blast. So last year, ever since playing Metroid Other M
and fighting the cloned Metroid Queen
I've had the itch to finally get this game in my collection. I know it will be on VC soon (one would hope) for only four bucks but I always prefer having a cartridge with manual and box whenever possible. So last week I got this in the mail. Cost me a lot but was so worth it:

Metroid1.jpg

Yes, I opened it. Playing it on a second revision Gameboy Advance is amazing and the system ROM adds a wonderfully proper color scheme to it. As you can see I still have 28 to go:

Metroid3.jpg

legacyzero said:
Finally completing this game was one of my life's biggest triumphs.

I've beaten Metroid NES in under 3 hours twice in the last six years. My goal this year is to eventually beat this in under three, I can already tell it's going to be a lot tougher. I also still haven't finished Super in under three hours, adds to his list for the year.

just like metroid 1 , i can't beat it without a map , i got lost so much :(

funny story with that game i have is i lost it when i was a kid, then when i was a teenager i found it buried in my yard after a huge storm 0_o i should take pics, poor thing is RIP

Agent Unknown said:

There's something about brand new looking videogame boxes of old games that I really like. You're damn lucky to have been able to get that.

As for the game itself, yeah, like you says, it certainly has it flaws, and tbh playing it after the Prime games and Super feel really weird because of the lack of in-game map, but it's still very enjoyable. I wish I had the map you're using though, I had to just guess and memorize the layout until the very end x___x

ShaneB

Awesome game that doesn't get much love, so seeing this thread makes me happy (as did the metroid anniversary thread earlier of course). Awesome music as well. But damn, Samus sprite is so huge :(, well most sprites in the game are oversized I guess.

SolarKnight said:
There's something about brand new looking videogame boxes of old games that I really like. You're damn lucky to have been able to get that.

Thanks, like I said though, it cost me big time. Just getting the game used with box and manual can easily cost you 70-100 bucks on ebay (which is where I got this). But for me, some series like Metroid just demand that I have the real deal. And I'll take playing this game with a basic but nice color scheme over the limited display features of the 3DS VC. I'm having a ton of fun with the game so far, it was totally worth it. I'm not a feinthearted collector, I tore off that cellophane with little hesitation. It was a cool feeling knowing that the game was sitting on a shelf somewhere since 1991 just waiting for me to open it, felt like I was unwrapping a little time capsule. haha

As for the game itself, yeah, like you says, it certainly has it flaws, and tbh playing it after the Prime games and Super feel really weird because of the lack of in-game map, but it's still very enjoyable. I wish I had the map you're using though, I had to just guess and memorize the layout until the very end x___x

Yeah, I'm using my old Nintendo Power and some maps from Gamefaqs or Metroid database. Also, even though Sakamoto didn't work on this game it pioneered several features introduced in Super Metroid such as the Gunship, the Spider Ball, and save stations.

Agent Unknown said:
But for me, some series like Metroid just demand that I have the real deal.

I know that feeling, nothing compares to brand new, unopened games, but I just can't afford it and have to settle for boxless/manualless used games, VC, or roms :(

Yeah, I'm using my old Nintendo Power and some maps from Gamefaqs or Metroid database. Also, even though Sakamoto didn't work on this game it pioneered several features introduced in Super Metroid such as the Gunship, the Spider Ball, and save stations.

Oh yeah, this was the first one with saves, thank god for that. I don't think I would've ever finished it if it used passwords like the first one.

SolarKnight said:
I know that feeling, nothing compares to brand new, unopened games, but I just can't afford it and have to settle for boxless/manualless used games, VC, or roms :(

I don't care if it's used but I gotta at least have the manual and box. It's a shame Nintendo doesn't add virtual manuals and art as extra features to their VC titles.

Oh yeah, this was the first one with saves, thank god for that. I don't think I would've ever finished it if it used passwords like the first one.

The Prime 1 GC and Zero Mission bonus versions of Metroid NES save your progress/passwords, just an FYI.

kunonabi

Yeah I loved Metroid II and still do. Most gripes people had it with it never really bothered me. The game was hard as nails and the ending was really something else. I'd like to play it again to see exactly where it falls in my ranking of Metroid titles. Top three are Super Metroid, Other M, and Prime but Metroid and Metroid II are duking it out for 4th place. I played a ton of the original leading up to Other M so I think it is kind of unfair to make a decision till go through II again. I'm waiting for the VC version but knowing Nintendo we probably won't see it until sometime next year. ugh.

low-G

It was the first Metroid game I ever owned and beat. Loved the atmospheric sound in a lot of places. I beat it over the summer vacation of whatever year it came out.

Magnus

I need maps for everything. It is therefore a miracle to me that I somehow completed this game as a kid. And more than once!

Unicorn

Agent Unknown said:
Thanks, like I said though, it cost me big time. Just getting the game used with box and manual can easily cost you 70-100 bucks on ebay
FUCK. My friend in Jr. High gave me his copy of the game with the manual. Maybe I should dig them up. The manual was in kinda bad condition (a couple loose pages) and the cartridge had sun damage at the top from poking out of the gameboy.

Metroid II was a damn good game.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, this was my first Metroid game, too. My crazy ass neighbor from Quebec found a beat up copy in the parking lot of our apartment complex, and gave it to me. Totally free! It was late in 1995, I think.

Agent Unknown said:
The game doesn't get enough credit IMHO. Sure it's got issues. Sometimes claustrophobic room layouts, lack of a basic map, ect. But it accomplished a lot both action and atmosphere wise for an original Gameboy title. The challenge of being forced to find and earn your power ups, the creepy Chozo statues adding a sense of exploring a dead civilization, the eery music (or just plain cool music as in the case of the overworld theme), I'd never played a game like this before, as a kid it was a revelation.
Well put. The sense of exploration and mystery were so enthralling. Totally captured my little eleven year old imagination.

Allan Holdsworth said:
You opened a sealed copy? Hope it was a re-seal or something.

Ha. Nope, not a re-seal. You may think it's crazy but I enjoyed opening this baby. Here's another pic of the box pre-open with the factory seal:

Metroid2.jpg

Nessus

Easily the scariest Metroid game.

Vastly improved controls over the original.

Really don't feel it needs to be remade, like a classic black and white movie.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, not a re-seal? You're nuts, OP. I'd never pay extra just to open a package, hah. Glad you enjoyed it, though.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
At this point I think this is the only 2D Metroid besides the first I haven't completed, which is pretty embarrassing when my mum has manage to make her way through all of them besides Prime and Other M.

I remember after we lost the book/guide that came in the boxed version of Super Metroid she ended up going trough and writing and noting down the order of where everything was and collectable locations, thinking back my mum is pretty cool, lol.

Though I should totally get on Metroid 2, though after so many years I wouldn't have a clue where the game was, my GB games didn't move out with me.

hiro4

This is my favorite metroid game. And not only since it is my first. I can probably still beat it easily while getting most of the items. Have cleared this game so many times it is in the double digits.

Also dare I say best Metroid game?

I would love this on the eShop. Or even a "HD" remake, of they only update the graphics.

Mael

Agent Unknown said:
Me and about three other guys shared the same save file and would take turns playing it during study hall and Phy Ed on the bench in between basketball or floor hockey matches until one of them finally got to the Metroid Queen. I remember us watching over his shoulder in anticipation as he defeated her. "Will he have enough missles to beat her?! Oh sweet, you can
bomb her from the inside?!"
You do know there's more than 1 save file....
Great Metroid and without contest the best handheld episode, it's really too bad that they couldn't make the Color version though since now they'd probably muck it up with useless additions and shoehorn the same powerups we've all seen EVERY FREAKING TIME in this.

Btw here you can find it (if you do find it) for 5bucks with only the cart, a damaged packaging would probably amount to 20 and then it gets expansive.

I simply could NOT get into this, and I'm a pretty big Metroid fan. The copy-paste environments and lack of a map killed it for me. :(

Agent Unknown said:
Ha. Nope, not a re-seal. You may think it's crazy but I enjoyed opening this baby. Here's another pic of the box pre-open with the factory seal:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/dylanh/Metroid2.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Not faulting you for wanting to play it, but why didn't you get a complete used copy instead?

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not touching that game until the Metroid 2 fan remake that uses the Fusion graphics is completed!

Allan Holdsworth said:
Not faulting you for wanting to play it, but why didn't you get a complete used copy instead?

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Why destroy the value of a sealed copy when you could've just gotten a used one?

Anywho, this game is amazingly underrated. It has some of the best atmosphere of the series and was the first to introduce a linear style of play to the series (no, Metroid Fusion was not the first!). The way that the danger would ever increase as you venture further down the caverns of SR388, the ever evolving forms of Metroid and the increasing feeling of isolation and tension as you neared your ultimate goal was incredible!

Rezbit

jarosh said:
you opened a brand new, sealed metroid II... OH MY GOD

D:

Anyway the game is confusing as shit, I jumped for joy when I finished it as a kid. Have yet to finish it as an adult...

matmanx1

When I was a college freshman back in the early 90's my roommate and I took turns on a save file beating this game. It was a fantastic experience and I can't wait to have it on my 3DS, hopefully soon.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Oh my, those screen photos look fantastic. In colour, the game has this wonderful retro charm. In black-and-white, it looks terrifying and foreboding. Either way, we win!

I love Metroid II as well, for its eerie atmosphere, big sprites and creative use of the Game Boy sound chip. Stumbling upon a broken metroid shell and not knowing where the creature itself was always made me tense and nervous. The game gets a lot of hate, but I just don't see it. But I agree with some other posters; having a map for when you get stuck helps.

I'm not proud of it, but when I was in school, I would pretend to be friends with a kid named Sam because he had the only copy of Metroid II I'd ever seen (I lived in a small village in the country). We were "buddies" exactly twice -- just enough time for me to borrow, and finish, the game twice on my brick Game Boy. Like I said, I'm not proud if it.

Finally, I think I can firmly blame those extended Metroid II play sessions for the fact that I eventually needed glasses as a kid, and for how poorly-sighted I am today. Blurry, spinach green at 2.5" for dozens of hours can't be good for a person.

Again, I need some advice. Keep the Ice beam for the rest of the game or get some of the other beams?

Mael said:
You do know there's more than 1 save file....

haha Of course we knew there was more than one file. But we were in school and trying to complete an epic, complex adventure game where it's easy to get lost in between classes so we all worked on the same file.

Allan Holdsworth said:

Nuclear Muffin said:
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Why destroy the value of a sealed copy when you could've just gotten a used one?

Because, as I said, it goes easily for 100.00 complete and used. About the only way to get it for less than that complete is if the box and manual are in bad condition or if it's the Player's Choice version. There's a used complete set with a wrinkled manual that's been sitting there all year for 104.95 Buy It Now price. Similar used and complete copies came and went for roughly the same price, sometimes higher. One auction I lost several months ago for a used, complete set of this game ended at at least 120.00 and I lost by only a few bucks. My new sealed copy cost me 178.99 plus 4 dollars shipping. So at this point of trying to get the game for almost 12 months, I figured if I have about 50.00 extra bucks to spend and the used copies can go as high as 120.00, why not treat myself and just splurge a bit and get one of the new, sealed ones? I never sell my games (the few times I have it's either been a poor game or I've ended up regretting it and rebuying later) and even if I didn't open it and resold the game later, it would be sitting on ebay forever before anyone bought it. Don't worry, the cellophane is gone but it all still looks nice and shiny. ;)

andymcc said:
now i'm not one to typically criticize extravagant purchases but WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING

I was thinking, "This is Metroid, one of the greatest series ever so I'm gonna do what it takes to add this to my shelf and I'm no longer willing to get a bare bones or roughed up set." I waited a week in anticipation of tearing that sucker open and playing the game. If I had zero respect for the fact it was sealed would I have taken pictures in order to remind myself what I'd done (and apparently to taunt others)? ;) I'm also a Turbografx-16 and Saturn collector and I occasionally collect arcade PCBs for my supergun, so I'm used to purchase levels like this. Obviously spending this much on a first party Nintendo game is rare though, I realize.

oatmeal said:
Shoulda bought the sealed one for the collection and an opened one to play.

Nope, thought about that. Would've been too tempted to open it eventually, just like Homer Simpson and his "soul donut."

DonMigs85

andymcc said:
now i'm not one to typically criticize extravagant purchases but WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING
Yeah that's insane. I would've tried looking for a sealed DK '94 instead.

My favorite portable Metroid game. (Yes, even over Zero Mission)

Agent Unknown said:
Again, I need some advice. Keep the Ice beam for the rest of the game or get some of the other beams?
I'd say to upgrade it whenever possible, honestly. (The Spazer and the Plasma being the two ideal beams) If I recall correctly, there's an area shortly before the final area where you can switch between whatever beam you like, as well.

andymcc

Banned
Agent Unknown said:
I was thinking, "This is Metroid, one of the greatest series ever so I'm gonna do what it takes to add this to my shelf and I'm no longer willing to get a bare bones or roughed up set." I waited a week in anticipation of tearing that sucker open and playing the game. If I had zero respect for the fact it was sealed would I have taken pictures in order to remind myself what I'd done (and apparently to taunt others)? ;) I'm also a Turbografx-16 and Saturn collector and I occasionally collect arcade PCBs for my supergun, so I'm used to purchase levels like this. Obviously spending this much on a first party Nintendo game is rare though, I realize.

i understand the cost of a TG-16, Saturn and, of course, PCB games. just not a monochromatic gameboy game, i guess. haha

I miss those little plastic cases all Gameboy games came in. They should do that for 3DS games. It made every new game extra special.

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
I'd say to upgrade it whenever possible, honestly. (The Spazer and the Plasma being the two ideal beams) If I recall correctly, there's an area shortly before the final area where you can switch between whatever beam you like, as well.

That's very helpful to know, thanks. I was about to get the Wave beam but hesitated.

andymcc said:
i understand the cost of a TG-16, Saturn and, of course, PCB games. just not a monochromatic gameboy game, i guess. haha

I know, I know. Like I said, I realize it's not the norm to spend this much on a first party Nintendo game but I decided to make an exception this time due to the reasons I cited and price range of the other auctions I mentioned earlier. FWIW my re-issued 2011 version of the Boba Fett firing rocket figure is still sitting sealed. ;)

Goldrush

Don't know if it's my favorite, but I definitely put down more hours in this game than any other Metroid. This is also the only one that I was able to beat under three hours.

Thinking back, every time I played, there was this one part where I had to go deep into the lava to reach a cavern to fight a Metroid before activating an earthquake. Is that part unavoidable or did I reach the Metroid early?

Top Bottom