• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DAYTONA USA |OT| This is your crew chief. You're in a rolling start...

T-0800

Do Entropay accounts still work on US PSN? I haven't used mine in over 12 months and remember hearing something about Sony blocking them. I'd rather not wait another few weeks.

DonMigs85

T-0800 said:
Do Entropay accounts still work on US PSN? I haven't used mine in over 12 months and remember hearing something about Sony blocking them. I'd rather not wait another few weeks.
They don't work no more, but you can always use Maximuscards, Play-Asia or PCgamesupply.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Trojan X said:
Ah, yes. Thanks for pointing that out, you are right. You just completely reminded me about Shinobi on the PS2 developed by Overworks. Ok, I got no choice but to retract the Shinobi statement I made even though the SEGA talk was true. Maybe my words didn't fall on deaf ears?

It's unfortunate that the style for Shinobi wasn't adopted here in the same way as Ninja Gaiden and the gameplay itself wasn't "good" enough for gamers to pick up even though Shinobi sold reasonably in Japan.

The only part SEGA could have tried harder is by delivering a better game (I believe the average review score was 73%), but I can't fault them entirely for that for at least they didn't deliver a Beast Rider and every dogs has their day.

Again, thanks for pointing that out.

Bah, Shinobi for PS2 was fucking awesome. Reviewers were just mad they couldn't finish the game because it was tough.

The music alone makes it at least an 8.5/10.

Brofist

I haven't bought anything in a long time on PSN, but when I tried to add funds to buy this it wouldn't let me. US credit card. I even deleted and entered the info a second time to be sure, but didn't work. Can't believe they won't take my money.

Ive been playing the shit out of Daytona USA, loving every second of it, I too am having trouble with the rocket start, it's not easy like the Dreamcast version but only because I assume it's the arcade version. God I love Model 2 graphics in high res. This is the best game on PSN. Anyone have the XBLA version? I need people to race against on PSN.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Here are the bonuses I've discovered for survival mode so far. Anything with a ? means I'm unsure of the specifics.

Starting time:

Beginner (80 laps) - 40 sec
Advanced (40 laps) - 50 sec
Expert (20 laps) - 60 sec

Time extensions:

Rocket Start (+2) - Perform the rocket start at the beginning of the race (Adv/Exp).
Checkpoint (+8) - Pass a checkpoint.
Lap Bonus (+15) - Awarded instead of the usual checkpoint bonus at certain intervals. On Beginner, this occurs after laps 8 and 16 (but not 24, 32, or 40).
The Overtaker (+2) - Pass 3 CPU cars.
No Touch (+1) - Clear an area without touching the wall. (?)
No Brakes! (+1) - Clear an area without touching your brakes. (?)
Speed Demon (+2) - Maintain maximum acceleration for a set time. (?)
Drift (+1) - Slide and accelerate at the same time.
Super Drift (+2) - Slide and accelerate at a greater angle/speed.
A Hot Corner (+1) - Clear a major turn.
On the Edge (+2) - Ride the edge of the road for a set amount of time. Doesn't seem to be available in all areas.
Crasher (+1) - Hit a cone or sign.
Pitless (+2) - Pass through pit road without triggering the pit stop.

Let me know if you find any more.

T-0800

DonMigs85 said:
They don't work no more, but you can always use Maximuscards, Play-Asia or PCgamesupply.

Tried to buy a card at Maxi and after accepting my details it said Problem Processing Your Order. I don't know if it has charged me or not.

Shaneus

Chacranajxy said:
Bah, Shinobi for PS2 was fucking awesome. Reviewers were just mad they couldn't finish the game because it was tough.
Should've given it to IGN.

herzogzwei1989 said:
Ive been playing the shit out of Daytona USA, loving every second of it, I too am having trouble with the rocket start, it's not easy like the Dreamcast version but only because I assume it's the arcade version. God I love Model 2 graphics in high res. This is the best game on PSN. Anyone have the XBLA version? I need people to race against on PSN.
Most people will have the XBLA one because in PAL-land, that's all we have.

Marco1

This game brings back so many good memories.
Keep it coming sega, this is how you do old arcade conversions.
Also these xbox arcade games had better work on the nextbox, I want to take this game with me to the next gen.

DonMigs85

T-0800 said:
Tried to buy a card at Maxi and after accepting my details it said Problem Processing Your Order. I don't know if it has charged me or not.
Hmm, that's weird. I just bought a $10 card the other day and it worked fine. Did you use a credit card or Entropay?
EDIT: Aah, looks like you got it

Dave Long

Banned
Chacranajxy said:

The music alone makes it at least an 8.5/10.
This is right on. Shinobi on PS2 is fantastic. The sequel, not as much, but still good. Overworks did a tremendous job bringing Shinobi into 3D, but the game is hard and people just don't like hard games anymore.

herod said:
This has better handling and physics than GRID.
They're two separate things, and GRID has great arcade-like handling. Its exhilarating to round a corner on two wheels after popping off a curb and slide just to within a whisker of the fence while maintaining super high speed in GRID. Daytona has different thrills.

As soon as I got to the page, I saw the summary and noticed this as the first positive bullet point: + Rewind feature lets you correct mistakes.

This reviewer is clearly an total troll who was annoyed that he was given this game to cover, shot through it as quickly as he could so he could get back to CALL OF DUTY AND HALO, FUCK YEAH!!!!!!

DonMigs85 said:
Lolz. Model 3 also looked superior to Dreamcast in many ways.

Naomi and the DC were better than Model 3. Ran in higher resolution, handled translucency better and power differences were on par. Virtual On OT was a better looking game on DC than in the Arcade same with Virtua Striker 2. We never really saw many Model 3 ports to DC. The only failing one was Sega Rally 2 and that was because it went through Windows CE to accomodate networking at the time.

skyfinch

Warm Machine said:
Naomi and the DC were better than Model 3. Ran in higher resolution, handled translucency better and power differences were on par. Virtual On OT was a better looking game on DC than in the Arcade same with Virtua Striker 2. We never really saw many Model 3 ports to DC. The only failing one was Sega Rally 2 and that was because it went through Windows CE to accomodate networking at the time.

Other than Rally 2, the only other I can think of is Virtua Fighter 3.

Trojan X said:
Wow. Official Xbox Magazine's review of Daytona USA got completely destroyed and stomped by their own readers: http://www.oxmonline.com/daytona-usa-review

What a joke! Is this what journalism stooped down to?
What the...

"Remember that arcade classic, Daytona USA? Sega has decided to give us an improved port... therefore 4.5!"

Apparently Daytona USA is Daytona USA, which is bad, k? It should have had shaders and physics and shit... and be a FPS! Who the hell wants a fun game?!

I can understand not giving it an incredibly high score, but this is ridiculous. The port is good, visuals are fine for the most part, handling and music are there and it's made for an audience of arcade games enthusiasts that will love every minute of this game.

Bleh.

SkylineRKR

Virtua Fighter 3 was worse on the DC (I played it a shitload on both DC and arcade), but it was still rather close to the arcade. It was being outsourced to Genki and was a launch product as well which might be a legit excuse.

Fighting Vipers 2 was another Model 3 game, and while I could never see the Arcade version in action, it did look better than the DC in screenshots. Especially the lighting seemed to be more vibrant.

Sega Bass fishing seemed to be identical afaik.

Shaneus

Trojan X said:
Wow. Official Xbox Magazine's review of Daytona USA got completely destroyed and stomped by their own readers: http://www.oxmonline.com/daytona-usa-review

What a joke! Is this what journalism stooped down to?
As it should have. That's a pathetic excuse for a review... absolutely pathetic. For a guy who is old enough to have gamed for 30 years, he should have a better grasp on why the game was released and what a success it is to even HAVE it released, let alone at the quality it is right now.

PS. It says he's been a member of OXM for three days? Did no-one at all who already worked at OXM want to spit out something more substantial about Daytona?
Says more about their team than that one person.

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
As soon as I got to the page, I saw the summary and noticed this as the first positive bullet point: + Rewind feature lets you correct mistakes.
Yup.

kyubajin

I have a Saturn but since I'm not really into driving games other than OutRun and MotorStorm I never tried this game. From YouTube it looks like fun, however I don't really see what's to be excited about. Can anyone truthfully explain what's so great about this game?

Trojan X

Banned
kyubajin said:
I have a Saturn but since I'm not really into driving games other than OutRun and MotorStorm I never tried this game. From YouTube it looks like fun, however I don't really see what's to be excited about. Can anyone truthfully explain what's so great about this game?

You must have NEVER played Daytona in the arcades otherwise you wouldn't have to ask this question. Outrun and MotorStorm can not breath in the same space as Daytona USA - people wondered before and its all proven now.

Anyhow, here's a quote that was written from one of the readers on the Official Xbox Magazine website in retaliation to the reviewer's piss-poor review. I'd have to say that the reader hit the nail on the head on summing up just how incredible Daytona USA really is:

My head is blowing up! I forgot what this is like. Playing on the Model 2 emulator is all good, hats off to the guy for getting such a brilliant version of the game going. But this game really shines when you're racing against good people online, my word - I feel like I'm in an episode of Initial D! I'm thinking about the race, not in terms of what's currently happening, but in a grand scheme. I'm planning my way through the other drivers based on what they are doing and how skilled they are, clocking their habits and which line they take. I'm anticipating messy sections based on whether or not I'm racing "dirty drivers" or gentlemen, I'm completely bypassing skanky tactics from lesser players by "giving" them the next corner - because I know further down the line I'm faster!

There is this one guy who is absolutely my rival on Advanced. We are .09 seconds apart on the leaderboard! The last time we raced, oh my word it was like Initial D! On the last corner of the last lap, I pushed as hard as I could - too hard in fact. Mid drift, I watched as he entered his drift on the inside. I pushed too hard. My car was swinging too far outwards and I HAD TO brake! I didn't want to - time seemed to stop. I mentally tried to find a solution. But the only solution was to brake - I could either brake and accept 2nd place, or not brake, hit the grass, and get pushed back to 3rd place. NO other racing game is like this.

I cannot believe how people go on about Daytona being a "relic" which does not stand up to modern racing games. What a complete load of rubbish! Daytona is like the driving equivalent of Tetris; it's perfection. You don't need hundreds of cars and tracks to make a good racing game. The only thing which modern racing games do is oversaturate with content. But Daytona proves that the complete opposite is far better. You have 2 cars and 3 tracks. But each and every corner of these tracks is a game in itself.

In no other racing games can you talk to people about specific corners and find that everyone knows exactly what corner you are talking about and they each have their own unique way of taking it. ONE corner of any Daytona track has more strategy involved than the entirety of any modern racing game. 3 courses designed with perfection are far more valuable and worthwhile than hundreds of boring tracks for which you cannot tell one from another.

The comment about "barebones" drifting is ridiculous. I used to play this game religiously in the arcade and even now I'm still managing to push for faster times by improving my technique. The drift system is anything but "barebones", it's incredibly strategic and it's such a shame that we never see anything like this any more. The sheer amount of different ways you can take each and every corner is mindblowing.

I wholly agree with this. I also assume that he was talking in reference to Arcade racing games. There is a reason why developers hailed Daytona USA as one of the greatest arcade racing game ever and this post summed up that reason.

There. Now go buy the game. If you still don't believe then please go and read this entire thread for your question has been answered repeatedly.

jaypah

Oh man, finally off from work and about to hit the shower then set up the wheel. I haven't played Daytona in about 9 years but I can't fucking wait to play it again! This thread has me so damn pumped up!

kyubajin said:

Get crashed once and you instantly have an arch enemy. Spend the rest of the game(s) trying to enact revenge...sounds fun to me.

Fantasmo

kyubajin said:

If you're into perfect gameplay games and racing, then this belongs on your list. The small amount of tracks and cars, combined with perfect controls, make it a racing delight.

This type of game is one where, assuming you enjoy the actual racing here, that you'll play over and over to beat your times and opponents. So it's a little light on content, but a lot of meat to sink your teeth into if that makes any sense.

In that way, a racing equivalent of Tetris is a pretty good description. Sure Tetris only has one screen and seven types of blocks but it's perfect in its simplicity and full of value. There's a lot of excitement to be had because it's competitive on and offline and there's a lot of thrill to be had once you nail the mechanics and can stay on the road.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
God i wish this was available in AU. I really want to play this right now, Might have to buy a US PSN card to get me there D:

bwahhhhh

I think I was wrong about the arcade Daytona having the mip-mapping issues, earlier.

Dave Long said:
This is right on. Shinobi on PS2 is fantastic. The sequel, not as much, but still good. Overworks did a tremendous job bringing Shinobi into 3D, but the game is hard and people just don't like hard games anymore.

Yeah, I liked Shinobi a lot. I remember reviewers complaining about bottomless pits a lot, but that was just a platforming tradition, for me. The only thing I had against it was that it wasn't that good looking, even for the time. I don't know the actual history behind it, but graphically it looked to me like it was a DC game whose developement shifted to the PS2, as it suffered from the drawbacks of both systems. Low-poly environments/characters coupled with the aliasing and poor textures of early PS2 games, the DC->PS2 ports in particular. it got God Handed a bit in some reviews.

Trojan X

Banned
bumpkin said:
Great games tonight, Trojan-X! We'll definitely have to catch up again sometime. :)

Ditto! I haven't had this much fun on Xbox LIVE for a very long long time. I really enjoyed myself and this game is so great, it doesn't matter whether you win or lose because you'll always end up feeling good.

Yes, let's definitely race again. You know how to find me.

SERIOUSLY.... I highly recommend everyone to buy a steering wheel just for this incredible gaming cRACK of a game: http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_eu/index.php?language=en

Was the Saturn version's difficulty turned down or something? I used to be able to come in first blindfolded, but I suck now lol. I guess it's because I haven't played Daytona in about 17 years.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
GillianSeed79 said:
Was the Saturn version's difficulty turned down or something? I used to be able to come in first blindfolded, but I suck now lol. I guess it's because I haven't played Daytona in about 17 years.
You could adjust the Saturn version's difficulty quite a bit. Default was close to the arcade IIRC. There was a code you could put in for "maniac" difficulty, which made it virtually impossible to win.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
op_ivy said:
i had a hellava time getting it to work with little help offered here.

the trick is to hold down the brake and keep the rpms in the yellow. when the light switches to green take your foot off the break BUT keep the rpms held at the same level and only floor it when the boost engages.

i kept trying to floor it the same time the green light came and my foot was taken off the break and it would never work.
I'm going to try this next time I play. I had no problem doing it in Daytona 2, because the tires didn't spin as much.

Rlan

Shaneus said:
I haven't played D2 (I don't think it ever appeared in Australia... at least, I never saw it)

Man, you need to go to more Arcades! I honestly see more Daytona 2 4-player cabinets than Daytonas now. Daytona 2-player cabs tend to pop up in the most obscure places though.

RC

Banned
Its next to impossible to shift on a controller. So I guess I'm stuck to playing on automatic. Still can't avoid that wall on the last turn in beginner to save my life.

Trojan X

Banned
Desibabu said:
Its next to impossible to shift on a controller. So I guess I'm stuck to playing on automatic. Still can't avoid that wall on the last turn in beginner to save my life.

?? What do you mean? I play with manual controls and i've been tearing up online.

Top Bottom