• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pablo Schreiber says romance in Halo TV Series was a mistake but helmet removal was important

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/halo-tv-s...iefs-romantic-relationship-was-a-huge-mistake

Pablo Schreiber, the face (quite literally) behind Master Chief's helmet in Paramount's Halo adaptation, thinks it was a "huge mistake" to introduce a romantic relationship for the Spartan warrior. In fact, he pushed back against it.

"The decision to make the connection between Makee and John a romantic connection was a huge mistake," Schreiber told SFX magazine.

ON HELMET REMOVAL

"It was very important early on that the helmet comes off, you see the face, and you disassociate your version of who you believe the Chief was," Shrieber said on the first series' release.

"Rather than being co-creator of the experience as you go along and believing that you're Chief, we're now inviting you to sit back on the couch and watch Chief start to discover elements of himself

ManaByte

Gold Member
5c8mbp6qqdz81.jpg

Codes 208

hes right, it is important whether or not we see chief’s face. We shouldnt see his face.

The moment he truly became chief (as in a legit spartan) was the moment the helmet shouldve never come off again. Not a single piece of media or game has had chief’s face reveal after he put mjolnir on for the first time (aside from the legendary ending of H4, but tbf we only see his eyes)
In other words, he made it about himself. He wasn’t interested in playing the character, he wanted the character to be him.
Which is hilarious because thats the whole reason why we never see his face, chief was supposed to be a self-insert. It wasnt until 343i took over that vague hints of his humanity and personality became paramount to the story itself (to mixed success)
I am just treating all this as non canon hoopla.
Good news! Its not. The silver timeline was the buzz word excuse they used to basically say “yeah, this isnt canon to the games”

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I am just treating all this as non canon hoopla.
I'm wondering if season 2 will be a reset. Stick the inhibiter back in his back. Cortana still controls him and when he seperates he is Chief again.

Kwan and Makee make out in a fire as they burn.

AzekZero

Neo Member
I haven't watched the show myself, but the narrative I've gathered from the Halo fandom is that its a generic sci-fi tv script that awkwardly incorporated Halo IP to get greenlit.

That being said, its totally understandable for the lead actor to want face time on the show. Having zero screen time hurts their personal brand.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Which is hilarious because thats the whole reason why we never see his face, chief was supposed to be a self-insert. It wasnt until 343i took over that vague hints of his humanity and personality became paramount to the story itself (to mixed success)
Yep. Just to emphasize how much they don’t get it, this was the poster they used to promote season 2.

bCnkRdV.jpg

Remove the text and if you showed this poster to the average console gamer, they would have no idea what this product is. Add the iconic Spartan helmet and instantly, they know what the product is.

Imagery is important to brands, and if you have to rely on text to convey the product, you have failed.

Yep. Just to emphasize how much they don’t get it, this was the poster they used to promote season 2.
Over 90% of actors never truly understand the property that they're working on, so these questions are usually wasted on the wrong people.

It is extremely rare to meet an actor who 'gets it' unless they...

A) Funded the project themselves (Vin Diesel)
B) Helped direct it or directed it themself (Michael B. Jordan)
C) Knows the property very well and will help produce it (Henry Cavill)
D) Was heavily involved in production and stuntwork on set (Tom Cruise)
E) Started out as a fan/nerd (Iman Vellani)

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/halo-tv-s...iefs-romantic-relationship-was-a-huge-mistake

Pablo Schreiber, the face (quite literally) behind Master Chief's helmet in Paramount's Halo adaptation, thinks it was a "huge mistake" to introduce a romantic relationship for the Spartan warrior. In fact, he pushed back against it.

"The decision to make the connection between Makee and John a romantic connection was a huge mistake," Schreiber told SFX magazine.

ON HELMET REMOVAL

"It was very important early on that the helmet comes off, you see the face, and you disassociate your version of who you believe the Chief was," Shrieber said on the first series' release.

"Rather than being co-creator of the experience as you go along and believing that you're Chief, we're now inviting you to sit back on the couch and watch Chief start to discover elements of himself
The whole Halo tv series is a mistake cous it sucks

Who would have thought Master Chef is the ultimate simp for Powered A.I. V-Tuber? Not even Kojima, bro. Not even Kojima is so ahead of the time.

You know a show is going to fail when all the fans tell you it was a mistake and you say "No this had to happen". That's a person interested in doing what they want and not delivering the type of show the fans want. This is how all these adaptions fail. Doing what they want instead of what the fans want.

I'm so glad TLOU stuck to the main story for the most part.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Man in the first few minutes of this show where they have kids get dismembered by the covenant I was like oh fuck yeah.

Then it was downhill from there. I’ll still probably watch out of curiosity

Kuranghi

Let's see your cakes then, chief!

I have about the same level of cakes as Master Chief and I would evaluate my own cheeks as acceptable. I will get an up-to-date 3rd party evaluation and get back to you.

Man in the first few minutes of this show where they have kids get dismembered by the covenant I was like oh fuck yeah.

Then it was downhill from there. I’ll still probably watch out of curiosity

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

I like a bit of hyper violence myself but not sure I can think of many contexts where I'm like "Yeah yeah kill those kids! The little one with pigtails is getting away, quick throw an axe at the base of her spine!"

I get where you're coming from, that its good to see it not being PG rated, but the way you've written it is funny af and makes it easy to interpret you as a nutbar.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Fucking cringe,fuck off…Romance,Helmet off,both are huge mistakes as is the godawful deviation from the lore and setting ugh. Awful show.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I have about the same level of cakes as Master Chief and I would evaluate my own cheeks as acceptable. I will get an up-to-date 3rd party evaluation and get back to you.

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

I like a bit of hyper violence myself but not sure I can think of many contexts where I'm like "Yeah yeah kill those kids! The little one with pigtails is getting away, quick throw an axe at the base of her spine!"

I get where you're coming from, that its good to see it not being PG rated, but the way you've written it is funny af and makes it easy to interpret you as a nutbar.
It was supposed to be funny, but also kinda true...I wanted that hard R violence and gritty show, like Starship Troopers style fights, and it turned out to be pretty fucking dweeby mystical low grade sci fi starring emo chief, the one dumb kid that didn't get blown to bits and that dumb space prophet lady who just ended up dying anyway. If they go hard on the fall of Reach this season though, could be a good turnaround.

Meicyn

Gold Member
You know a show is going to fail when all the fans tell you it was a mistake and you say "No this had to happen". That's a person interested in doing what they want and not delivering the type of show the fans want. This is how all these adaptions fail. Doing what they want instead of what the fans want.

I'm so glad TLOU stuck to the main story for the most part.
Yep, it’s infuriating how some actors and writers expect the source material to adapt to their whims when it should be the reverse. It shows a complete lack of respect to the people that created the source material in the first place, and to the supposed target audience.

If Pablo didn’t want to act with a helmet on, then why did he audition for the role?

Was scrolling through Amazon Prime a few weeks ago and laughed out loud when I saw the thumbnail for this show:
4Wte1Vx.png

It perfectly encapsulates what Halo is about: some white woman
Yep, once again, a complete reliance on text to convey the product. Remove the text, and you have nothing to go off of. They can’t even be bothered to invoke what Halo is about through a thumbnail, that’s how little they actually care about the source material. Grab a random shot from the show, plaster the logo on it, call it a day. Half-assed cash grab.

Gtafans93

bCnkRdV.jpg

Remove the text and if you showed this poster to the average console gamer, they would have no idea what this product is. Add the iconic Spartan helmet and instantly, they know what the product is.

Imagery is important to brands, and if you have to rely on text to convey the product, you have failed.
You absolutely get a sense of what it is in this image the Armour is clear enough and the gun,plus pablos face has been plastered so much by now that everyone knows he's chief . But then you get snagged by the algorithm and see this next time you peruse social media. marketing now hits you in layers.

E2YsP5D.png

StueyDuck

I don't care much about the whole helmet thing. Especially with the show being far from the source material anyway.

The sex stuff yeah... that's stupid, but it's stupid in literally everything so I can hardly knock it down for doing it.

SCB3

Over 90% of actors never truly understand the property that they're working on, so these questions are usually wasted on the wrong people.

It is extremely rare to meet an actor who 'gets it' unless they...

A) Funded the project themselves (Vin Diesel)
B) Helped direct it or directed it themself (Michael B. Jordan)
C) Knows the property very well and will help produce it (Henry Cavill)
D) Was heavily involved in production and stuntwork on set (Tom Cruise)
E) Started out as a fan/nerd (Iman Vellani)
6. Became a fan and knew what it meant to be an Iconic character (Karl Urban - Dread)

BlackTron

bCnkRdV.jpg

The show may have been bad in its own bubble, but this poster actually actively causes damage to the brand by itself.

Rockondevil

I personally really hate the helmet being removed and there's bigger actors who've not shown their face, or less so. Karl Urban and Pedro Pascal are the obvious names that come to mind.

But I do get it would likely have to be removed at some point and I'd accept that if it was at appropriate times. This show has him removing it constantly and sometimes at ridiculous times.

XxudZhQ.jpg

Top Bottom