• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA DICE: Battlefield 3 lead platform 'switched to consoles' mid-development

The DICE boss shared the news in the latest issue of PSM3, where he revealed that despite Battlefield 3 looking very much like a shooter designed for advanced PC hardware, the latter stages of Battlefield 3's construction lead on PS3 and Xbox 360 in order to meet release on time.

"We said originally that the PC was the lead SKU of the game, but in mid-production we switched to console as lead platform to make sure we could get all the versions done for release," Troedsson confirmed.

"Our ambition at DICE is to use the power of each individual platform to get the most out of the game," he added.

"In the case of the PS3... I understand that if you compare it to a high-end PC, it's not going to look as good. But if you compare it to other games on the PS3, including other games we've done previously, I have to say I'm very happy with how it looks.

"Hopefully people will agree when they look at it in the same way."

EA previously said it lead development on PC because that audience "has been the one complaining."

Exec producer Patrick Bach said: "We actually haven't heard any complaints from the console audience. We are letting the PC audience make use of the very expensive hardware that they just bought so they can tick all the boxes and go for the 64-player fights."

In the press release announcing Battlefield 3's impressive "estimated" 5 million week-one sales, EA said it's making "daily improvements" to multiplayer servers.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...latform-switched-to-consoles-mid-development/

I didn't see this posted separately from the main thread.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Someone needs to gag these guys, every negative news piece has been from a DICE staffer.

Games shit on consoles, so there's that.

Put this in the list of things that baffles me to why people think this game is worthy of praise/sales and worthy of defending.

sp3000

That explains why the map sizes are so small and feel designed for 24 p

Good to see consoles holding back everything as usual

Well, BF3 still has a very good PC version, so it doesn't matter much to me.

I've got many problems with the game, but a bad PC version ain't one.

Darklord

Banned
Yeah but it looks 10 times better on PC and is by far the definitive version so who cares?

DanielJr82 said:
Aren't consoles the lion's share of the sales anyways?

No. BC2 was almost even across all platforms.

Effect

I knew it. No way in hell the PC version should be having the crashing issues it has if it was the lead sku as they claimed. It's not a case of there being bugs but the damn game itself crashing or freezing up.

KareBear

Dice and the Battlefield series died after 2142.Guess its not so sad there was no were else for Battlefield to go after 2/2142.BF3 is no real progress over BF2 aside from visuals,its actually a step back in several areas.At least Dice left us with mod tools for 2/2142 so the community could carry on the torch with great mods like Project Reality and Forgotten Hope 2.

Biggzy

Xanadu said:
i dont know why they made a console version in the first place..pointless

Eh maybe because their was 100's of millions of dollars just sitting their waiting to be taken.

sp3000

Xanadu said:
i dont know why they made a console version in the first place..pointless
If the developers had their priorities straight they would have made bf3 a pc exclusive and kept bad company on consoles. Instead we got some unholy combination of both.

That's the way it was supposed to be with bad company 1 but obviously $ overrides sense

domlolz

Banned
Effect said:
I knew it. No way in hell the PC version should be having the crashing issues it has if it was the lead sku as they claimed. It's not a case of there being bugs but the damn game itself crashing or freezing up.

Someone doesn't remember BF2

yodathesoda said:
Who gives a shit? I'm having fun with it.

Yep

EA previously said it lead development on PC because that audience "has been the one complaining."

Exec producer Patrick Bach said: "We actually haven't heard any complaints from the console audience. We are letting the PC audience make use of the very expensive hardware that they just bought so they can tick all the boxes and go for the 64-player fights."

That's...actually kind of dickish.

Xanadu

Banned
Biggzy said:
Eh maybe because their was 100's of millions of dollars just sitting their waiting to be taken.
and all those dissapointed customers who will probably be put off the series

BF3 on consoles flat out sucks. BF3 should have been PC exclusive

Keyser Soze said:
Everyone after this post IS complaining though. PC users complain the most, always.
we have higher standards :) thats why a lot of us dont buy COD ever year

Bumhead

Banned
mxgt said:
Not a single fuck was given, PC version works great for me.

Yeah, exactly.

PC version has been absolutely excellent for me. Looks and runs wonderfully.

This interview was given to a PS3 exclusive magazine, right? Absolutely stinks of trying to appease the console audience from where im standing. People who think this says anything significant about the development process or DICE's focus might be reading waaaay too much into this particular story..

kitch9

Banned
Effect said:

No crashes or freezes here fella on either of my rigs. (1090T + 6970 or i7 920 + 580.)

Effect

domlolz said:
Someone doesn't remember BF2

Never played BF2.

I understand that all PC games have their issues. Know all to well and why I'm done with PC gaming. Not worth the frustration.. However perhaps I wrongly thought differently this time. When I heard PC as the main sku and realized the importance of the game that they'd make or try their best to make sure things like this wouldn't happen. My fault I guess for thinking this way (especially since I'm finally at a point that I firmly believe my hardware and computer settings isn't the cause of my problems) and I maybe I should have known better.

Chavelo

What? Really? Come the fuck on, EA... Always doing thi-

Wait, PC version is still better? Oh... STILL!!! SCREW EA, MAN! Who's with me?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
after just going through the holy triptych of seine river crossing, the marketplace call of duty tdm map and that god awful TUNNEL with a few check points dashed along it, this news comes as a great shock to me.

good to hear that consolites are pleased with the buggy, claustrophobic, feature gimped mess that dice took on their doorstep, though.

Nabs

Darklord said:
Yeah but it looks 10 times better on PC and is by far the definitive version so who cares?

Well, I care. They rushed the game out and you can feel it in almost everything.

Smash88 said:
And that's why I'll never buy BF3 on Origin.

What a joke.

Wait... so your problem isn't BF3 itself, its Origin? So in reality this statement doesn't matter to you any ways. Had they never come out and said this you would've never bought it on Origin anyways.

Rad-

Derrick01 said:
Hard to tell with battlefield. I'm pretty sure BC2 PC sold almost as much as 360, or it did at one point.

360 version sold the most but PC version did sell more than PS3 version. Not that sold copies is a good comparison, we should be comparing revenue if anything.

and all those dissapointed customers who will probably be put off the series

BF3 on consoles flat out sucks. BF3 should have been PC exclusive

It's quite unpolished atm but it's still one of the best FPS games this gen, console or PC. And disappointed customers? Pretty much everyone I know are having great fun with the game but are also aware of the bugs.

Top Bottom