• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whore of the Orient - a new game from L.A. Noire director

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
20111128brendanmcnamara.jpg

In an article in the Financial Review, film maker George Miller revealed he has acquired the rights to the new project, titled Whore of the Orient. The phrase “whore of the Orient, Paris of the East” has been used to describe the city of Shanghai, the largest city in China.

Team Bondi founder McNamara teased the new game earlier this month, describing it as “one of the great untold stories of the twentieth century” but giving no further details. We’ve contacted KMM Interactive but are yet to receive comment.

According to co-founder Doug Mitchell, Kennedy Miller Mitchell Interactive is staffed by “not only the Krome team but Team Bondi’s last standing warriors”, snapped up when both studios shuttered.

“With the government’s support we can immediately go forward with two games,” Mitchell said. “It’s not immediately obvious but the potential in the video games sector is massive. Just from the statistics people are showing me, it’s a $60 billion industry fast-tracking towards $90 billion.

“Films are very expensive, so studios are making drastically fewer of them. They’ll make ten films where they used to make 20. So, instead, people are drifting to game acquisition because of the budgets. The cost of a film may be $170 million – twice that to market it – whereas the basic cost of making a game might be 10% of that.

“Look at LA Noire, they sold about 3 million units in a week, about $US135 million ($130 million) net revenue, off a cost base which was infinitely lower than even your average low-budget film.”

I must add some comment here but I'll go with "lol".

read the full report, there is much more

http://www.vg247.com/2011/11/28/report-l-a-noire-creators-next-game-is-whore-of-the-orient/

also their source - http://www.afr.com/p/george_miller_new_script_q1wYu1EFjLM0cyZa4s97fI

"Hi. This is EB Games calling you to let you know that your preorder for Whore of the Orient will be available this Tuesday. You will receive a key for Hooker with a Penis DLC in the upcoming week."

subversus

while people react to the name, the fact that McNamara is making another game is much more lol-worthy to me.

I wonder if they'll be hiring any of the 600 people that just got laid off from Dr. D Studios, another of Kennedy-Miller Mitchell's ventures.

"Happy Feet Two" flop leads to 600 layoffs

Indeed. I didn't take this news in as such a good way as other people seem to have. I also thought that KMM had closed up. Easier to fire everyone and hire whoever is willing to work for $8 an hour I guess. Also those working on Happy Feet Two seemed to be of the understanding that there was no job for them with the company once the title was done.

Also how the hell does McNamara get offered another position after running Bondi into the ground?

Qwomo

I think that's a pretty cool name.

I'm vaguely interested despite the awfulness of everything behind this.

Other than Deus Ex I can't think of any games taking place in Shanghai, so they'll get some points for being original. I just hope they don't use that awful facemapping technology they used in LA Noire.
come at me, GAF. Play it on a pc in full HD and tell me it's not awful.

subversus

Other than Deus Ex I can't think of any games taking place in Shanghai, so they'll get some points for being original. I just hope they don't use that awful facemapping technology they used in LA Noire.

Army of Two 2

Amagon

True Crimes: Hong Kong whenever that comes out. (News of the game from when I email United Fronts Games a month or two back says that its is still in development and they hope to announce some news soon.)

spanks

He's also doing the Mad Max: Fury Road game according to that article. So apparently they took it off Avalanche (Just Cause guys), which is a bit of a bummer. Interesting to see how much involvement George Miller has in the game/movie combo.

And it's nice to see the Krome/Bondi guys find new jobs. Gotta wonder how long that'll last though...

“Films are very expensive, so studios are making drastically fewer of them. They’ll make ten films where they used to make 20. So, instead, people are drifting to game acquisition because of the budgets. The cost of a film may be $170 million – twice that to market it – whereas the basic cost of making a game might be 10% of that.

“Look at LA Noire, they sold about 3 million units in a week, about $US135 million ($130 million) net revenue, off a cost base which was infinitely lower than even your average low-budget film.”

LA Noire Dev budget = $50 million+ (Marketing budget was probably around $50 million)

50 million = 10% of 170 million obviously...

Haunted

McNamara is kind of a prick. That said, Shanghai is a good setting.

1:1 budget and revenue comparison to the movie industry don't really work for a number of reasons. Just consider the turnaround time. You don't have a full production team working 5 years on a single movie like you've had for LA Noire.

Whore of the Orient was my nickname in high school
*wipes drink off screen*

Fjordson

Hmm...don't know about that name if true.

I'll just say that I very much enjoyed L.A. Noire and am interested in his next game.

Atomski

Man I wouldnt touch this game with a 10 foot pole. The guys a douche, LA Noire sucked and my asian gf would probably flip seeing me buy something called the Whore of the Orient..

I get that its a term used for Shanghai.. weird this is the first I ever heard of it.

Top Bottom