• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charging solution for a US 3DS in Europe?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So I'll be leaving for France again in a couple weeks and I'm planning to catch up on some portable gaming while I have some free time. I typically take a PSP with me, which uses a universal charger, but last time I also carried a DS only to discover that the charging adapter isn't compatible with a simple plug adapter. I'd imagine the 3DS is no different from the DS in that regard (though I would be thrilled if it DID work).

What options do I have?

Michan

PAL DSi and 3DS chargers will work with a US 3DS. There is no need to worry about voltage or the like. Alternatively you can get a simple travel adapter, which will let you plug your charger into mainland European outlets.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
The 3DS itself is univeral, the chargers are not.

Either use USB or get a Euro charger from there.

Michan

Oh, and in case you're unaware, don't buy any PAL 3DS games, as they won't work in your system. Regular DS games will, however.

Step down converter (input 220V output 110V)

You don't need to worry about voltage with 3DS (and many other portable electronics), so it isn't worth forking out for a transformer. A €1 travel adapter will do the trick.

PunchyBoy

Banned
Buy a US charger for your 3DS ?
If only other people would understand how our adaptaters are much better...

prise.jpg

Is it so hard to use that Americans ?

Michan

Buy a US charger for your 3DS ?
If only other people would understand how our adaptaters are much better...

Is it so hard to use that Americans ?

He already has a US charger. And besides, US plugs are superior to mainland Europe plugs as they're smaller, lighter, can clamp in, and have optional earth (although they do pull out of walls easily, but so do mainland Europe's).

Ah I don't have a 3DS, I thought it was the same as DS/i.

The same applies to DS/DSi: you can use European/US/JP/UK plugs interchangeably or with travel adapters. The voltage doesn't matter, so there's no need to splash out on a transformer!

M3d10n

You can buy bi-volt chargers online for under $10. There are also USB chargers, which work with USB-to-wall plugs (which can be bi-volt as well).

Be aware that a USB charger might take more time to charge, since the amperage is lower than the 3DS/DSi charger. But I never measured it myself.

The same applies to DS/DSi: you can use European/US/JP/UK plugs interchangeably or with travel adapters. The voltage doesn't matter, so there's no need to splash out on a transformer!

You are telling me that I can charge a US DS directly without a transformer? (220V here) Charger says 110-120V input.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
You are telling me that I can charge a US DS directly without a transformer? (220V here) Charger says 110-120V input.

If you take your Euro 3DS and Euro charger to the US, simply just change the prongs on it you will blow it up.

If you take your Euro 3DS and stick a US charger in it, it will be fine.

I have a 3DS from each region;

1 US, 1 JP and 1 AU. And they all charge on the one 220V AU charger. My 110v chargers are hidden away so no one blows up my 3DS'

TedNindo

I bought my original DS shortly after launch in New York during Christmas when I was there on holiday. I paid 300 dollars for it in one of those shady electonics stores lol. But it was worth it imo because it was sold out EVERYWHERE and it would be another year before it got released in Europe. I had a power converter that I used for my imported modded us/japanese GameCube that I used. But afterwards I just used a Pal DS adaptor and it worked perfectly. I'm sure it's the same with the 3DS. Just get a 3rd party adaptor somewhere. Or maybe they even sell first party ones.

I miss importing consoles a bit. Don't get me wrong I'm glad that things are getting released closer together around the world. But I loved sitting on the bus for like a year with a DS and people constantly asking me what it was or going HOLY SHIT IS THAT A DS?
I loved the exclusivity xD

dark10x

You can buy bi-volt chargers online for under $10. There are also USB chargers, which work with USB-to-wall plugs (which can be bi-volt as well).
I'm not familiar with the power rating of the Apple USB wall plugs, but I'm curious if I could use a 3DS/DSi USB cable with either an iPhone or iPad wall charger. It's clear that a USB cable is the cheapest option.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
He already has a US charger. And besides, US plugs are superior to mainland Europe plugs as they're smaller, lighter, can clamp in, and have optional earth (although they do pull out of walls easily, but so do mainland Europe's).transformer!

This is the best plug/socket, there is just no contest:

BzatR.png

Midas

USB as everyone say. I bought a USB cable while I was in Tokyo so I could charge my PAL 3DS there. Worked perfect.

Michan

If you take your Euro 3DS and Euro charger to the US, simply just change the prongs on it you will blow it up.

If you take your Euro 3DS and stick a US charger in it, it will be fine.

I have a 3DS from each region;

1 US, 1 JP and 1 AU. And they all charge on the one 220V AU charger. My 110v chargers are hidden away so no one blows up my 3DS'

Your DS or 3DS won't blow up if you use an international charger with it.

You can charge a US DS (or 3DS) with a European charger and vice versa. The same applies to various other portable electronics, such as the MacBook and iDevices.

I successfully did so for 3 years in N.A. (Euro DS, UK charger with adapter, then eventually US charger), and for the last year and a half have been charging US/PAL DS (and JP/PAL 3DS) units with PAL DS (as well as DSi and 3DS for the latter) chargers.

All chargers manage and output the same voltage – 5.2 for DS, 4.6 for 3DS. The input voltage is the worry (but usually it's no problem).

This is the best plug/socket, there is just no contest:

BzatR.png

Still too big to be truly portable.

Power_cord_with_Us_plug_Nema1_15.jpg

uk-folding-plug-20090623-486.jpg

Lightweight and tiny.

I don't think it will blow up. Just won't power up. However if you take an US DS (with corresponding charger) to a 220V source then yes it will blow up. That's why I use a transformer.

It's that or getting another charger, dunno which is cheaper but I have several transformers laying around.

Michan

I'm not familiar with the power rating of the Apple USB wall plugs, but I'm curious if I could use a 3DS/DSi USB cable with either an iPhone or iPad wall charger. It's clear that a USB cable is the cheapest option.

I'm not sure if it will work with an Apple-branded charger, but I picked up a travel adapter with a USB slot in the top which charged my iPhone and 3DS. It has to output the correct voltage, or it risks breaking the equipment.

Check the voltage on the back of the Apple wall plug. If it outputs 4.6 volts it will be fine. If not, it could be risky.

Triton55

I'm in the same situation currently with my US 3DS in the EU. I have a bulky multi-region converter that has input 220V and output 110-120V, but it doesn't work. My 3DS still turns on (well, blinks red for a second) so I'm pretty sure I didn't fry it, but I'm puzzled as to why it refuses to charge. There's an adaptor mode also but I'm afraid to use that.

cloudyy

I'm in the same situation currently with my US 3DS in the EU. I have a bulky multi-region converter that has input 220V and output 110-120V, but it doesn't work. My 3DS still turns on (well, blinks red for a second) so I'm pretty sure I didn't fry it, but I'm puzzled as to why it refuses to charge. There's an adaptor mode also but I'm afraid to use that.

Just buy one of those
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B004ZES6B2/

Syringe

Actually, you are all wrong when it comes to power plugs. As an electrician that worked with all those standards for more than 10 years, there is no doubt that the Type C one is superior to everything else. It's safer, lasts longer, easier to use, fits the socket better and is as small as the American one.
plugtypece1rt0.png

dark10x

Fun to see this bumped again.

Now that it looks like I might be moving to France soon, I'm going to need a more permanent solution. Can I simply buy a new adapter in France and use that with my system?

Also, does this apply to Wii and XBOX360? The PS3 already appears to be universal, but the power supplies for those other two machines are not. If I were to buy new adapters would I be OK?

I'm starting to feel annoyed by the lack of region free capabilities for most systems. I'm planning to bring my systems with me, but outside of PS3, I won't be able to buy any European games without a new system. I suppose I'll wait on the WiiU until I've moved. :\

GimMick

Now that it looks like I might be moving to France soon, I'm going to need a more permanent solution. Can I simply buy a new adapter in France and use that with my system?

Also, does this apply to Wii and XBOX360? The PS3 already appears to be universal, but the power supplies for those other two machines are not. If I were to buy new adapters would I be OK?

I'm starting to feel annoyed by the lack of region free capabilities for most systems. I'm planning to bring my systems with me, but outside of PS3, I won't be able to buy any European games without a new system. I suppose I'll wait on the WiiU until I've moved. :\

- Yes. This is exactly what I've been using for months.

- No idea.

- You and me. I have to import from the US to play 3DS games now... And I don't want to invest into a Euro 3DS XL yet.

-KRS-

I don't know about the 360, but it should work fine with a wii if you buy a local power chord/adapter since the power supply is on the cable itself. The same should apply to the 360.

Actually, you are all wrong when it comes to power plugs. As an electrician that worked with all those standards for more than 10 years, there is no doubt that the Type C one is superior to everything else. It's safer, lasts longer, easier to use, fits the socket better and is as small as the American one.
plugtypece1rt0.png

Also you can plug them into these sockets as well with no problem. So it's a double win.
No ground though. So not suitable for everything.

dark10x

- Yes. This is exactly what I've been using for months.

- No idea.

- You and me. I have to import from the US to play 3DS games now... And I don't want to invest into a Euro 3DS XL yet.
How do you handle game buying, by the way? Does Amazon provide the same great service in Europe? I love being able to pre-order the games I want and have them sitting on my door step the day of release. Is that still possible in France?

I'm going to have to buy all new equipment too. I'll store my Kuro at my parents for now, but I obviously can't take that or my receiver with me. I'm looking at a big downgrade, I'm sure, regardless of how much I'm willing to spend. :(

Top Bottom