• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo France reveals 2011 hardware figures

So DS and Wii seemed to have done decent enough seperate, or did one do worse than the other?

It doesn't mention Wii + DS sales it simply says that all Nintendo HW was at roughly 2m units -- with 3DS at 761k, Wii + DS are what's left of that. Pretty decent for just France I think, but could be better. I'll be interested to see up to date Europe numbers in a couple of weeks from Nintendo's report...

Jokeropia

Google Translate on full article:
The 3DS recovery went well for a less chaotic launch, at least if one believes Nintendo has agreed to provide us during a recent interview, some of the key figures of the year 2011 .

The Japanese manufacturer can rub your hands with more than two million units sold (Wii + DS + 3DS) last year, he produced more than half of total sales of consoles on French territory. After starting winded (160,000 consoles sold in two months and a half), the young 3DS has benefited from the bottom end of the year and finished 2011 with a fleet of 761,000 machines sold. Since its release, it is even the most popular console in France, says Nintendo (before the PS3 and Xbox 360, respectively, totaling 656,000 and 409,000 sales between March 25 and December 31, 2011).

Its price cut, made during the summer, however, was not the trigger, since it took until October to see a real departure from the 3DS: 64% of its sales of years will indeed be played on the last quarter of 2011. For it is in fact the release of Super Mario Land 3-D and that of Mario Kart 7 , which will make the difference, with respective sales of 242,000 and 233,000 copies sold. In just a few weeks, scores of Nintendogs + Cats (186,000 since March 2011) and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (160,000 since June 2011) are scanned.

Despite the score flattering, yet the 3DS has sold less than the Wii. The home console of Nintendo also saw its numbers frightened by the holiday season, thanks to Just Dance 3 Wii which carries more than 650,000 sales in just a few weeks. A bad score for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword , totaling 250,000 units, was also present. According to our information, the Wii and ended 2011 with nearly 775,000 consoles sold, bringing its installed base to nearly 5.8 million machines in France.

lenovox1

It doesn't mention Wii + DS sales it simply says that all Nintendo HW was at roughly 2m units -- with 3DS at 761k, Wii + DS are what's left of that. Pretty decent for just France I think, but could be better. I'll be interested to see up to date Europe numbers in a couple of weeks from Nintendo's report...

Could they be? I know things could always get "better," but do we have anything to compare these numbers to?

Could they be? I know things could always get "better," but do we have anything to compare these numbers to?

Actually, on realising its the best second best selling console in France this year, maybe not!

I was thinking of the sales in terms of what proportion France usually makes of European sales -- ~4m+ have been moved in NA and Japan, I was thinking of France as one of the 3 largest European territories and expecting that it might have beaten a million...

but you're right, if its done that well, they could have scarcely wanted better.

edit2:

it wasn't the best selling console, it was 2nd behind the Wii.
taking Jokeropia's post into account:

3DS: 761K
PS3: 656K
x360: 409K
Wii: 775,000
DS: >= 464K

Wonder if Ubi/Nintendo will have this as a launch title for the Wii U

It would be nice if the Wii-U tablet's camera can be used in conjunction with its built in sensors to create an experience that's more Kinect-like than Wii-like. Dance games are definitely better on Kinect at the moment!

PS. France needs another visit from the Xboat!

Kazerei

Banned
Cool. Puts that Vita shipment into perspective :\

Also, a few more numbers buried in there.

Super Mario 3D Land - 242.000
Mario Kart 7 - 233.000
Nintendogs + cats - 186.000
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 160.000

Just Dance 3 - 650.000
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - 250.000

Wii LTD - 5.800.000

Rad-

PS3 - 360 difference is much smaller than I thought.

France market overall is also smaller than I thought.

fernoca

It would be nice if the Wii-U tablet's camera can be used in conjunction with its built in sensors to create an experience that's more Kinect-like than Wii-like. Dance games are definitely better on Kinect at the moment!

Though it would be "weird" to play it like that (holding the tablet). Guess you could put the tablet into some stand and use the camera..somehow, to record yourself or your dances or something and upload said stuff online.

But even Just Dance 3 on Kinect played kinda similar to the Wii version, Wii version was if anything slightly more difficult since you needed to perform motions with the Wiimote more "accurately"; while on 360 any similar motion would get a great/perfect. The extra mode on Kinect to create your own dance routines was really nice.

Guess that will depend on the direction they take the game; since the success of the game has been the "simplicity" and even the sales of Just Dance 3 on Wii versus PS3/Kinect show that people still see it as a Wii-game.

Though it would be "weird" to play it like that (holding the tablet). Guess you could put the tablet into some stand and use the camera..somehow, to record yourself or your dances or something and upload said stuff online.

But even Just Dance 3 on Kinect played kinda similar to the Wii version, Wii version was if anything slightly more difficult since you needed to perform motions with the Wiimote more "accurately"; while on 360 any similar motion would get a great/perfect. The extra mode on Kinect to create your own dance routines was really nice.

Guess that will depend on the direction they take the game; since the success of the game has been the "simplicity" and even the sales of Just Dance 3 on Wii versus PS3/Kinect show that people still see it as a Wii-game.

Yeah I was thinking if they ship it with a stand for the controller, you could just put it by your TV or on a coffee table and dance in front of it...

good point vis a vis the simplicity and sales of JD3 though. I just think it'd be cool if there were that added functionality and usefulness to the controller really...

fernoca

Yeah I was thinking if they ship it with a stand for the controller, you could just put it by your TV or on a coffee table and dance in front of it...

good point vis a vis the simplicity and sales of JD3 though. I just think it'd be cool if there were that added functionality and usefulness to the controller really...
Yeah.Wonder if they'll actually integrate it into the game; or since part of the focus of the game is in the multiplayer; kinda use it like Guitar Hero on Wii/DS connectivity and let another player manage playlists, music, modes, etc. on the tablet, while others dance. Or for extra modes like the "Simon Says mode" on #3, but that an extra player chooses what others do and when; instead of randomly.

Camera/video support would be nice for the whole sharing aspect; though the friends that I have that play the game will stop playing it, since the reason they play it (unlike Kinect games) is because they can't be recorded/taken pictures of. :p

Penguin

I find that people don't care.. I mean from my experience folks just like making a fool of themselves.

Though, if they could use the camera to enhance the game in some fashion, I could see it becoming huge.

Imagine being able to instantly share your videos on youtube or something.

Or having a friend "film" you like a music video.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Actually, on realising its the best second best selling console in France this year, maybe not!

I was thinking of the sales in terms of what proportion France usually makes of European sales -- ~4m+ have been moved in NA and Japan, I was thinking of France as one of the 3 largest European territories and expecting that it might have beaten a million...

but you're right, if its done that well, they could have scarcely wanted better.

edit2:

it wasn't the best selling console, it was 2nd behind the Wii.
taking Jokeropia's post into account:

Wii: 775,000

Thanks, I edited the OP.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Is the Zelda number really that bad? It's more than any 3DS game and I don't think Nintendo really expected it to sell nearly as good as Just Dance 3. It sure hasn't sold as well as its quality should indicate, but it still seems fine to me.

The Boat

Is the Zelda number really that bad? It's more than any 3DS game and I don't think Nintendo really expected it to sell nearly as good as Just Dance 3. It sure hasn't sold as well as its quality should indicate, but it still seems fine to me.

I was about to ask that, 250k seems like a good number for France. I'm not entirely informed about the size of France's gaming market though.

Well, taking into account the Kinect effect, and how 360 sold this holidays, PS3 having a +60% sales than 360 is quite amazing.

But, yes, I expected a bigger market overall.

Well, taking into account the Kinect effect, and how 360 sold this holidays, PS3 having a +60% sales than 360 is quite amazing.

But, yes, I expected a bigger market overall.

Not really surprising. Continental Europe has always been partial to PlayStation over Xbox. I'm actually surprised that the Xbox brand is doing so decently overall (not that it doesn't deserve to succeed, it's just that it's not PlayStation).

Same. I was always told how much the PS3 dominates mainland Europe. I do like the occasional numbers we get from Europe that provide some realism.

In America, right? What bearing does that have on sales in France?

Well, the big sales on America, because of Kinect, is supposed to happen also (even if it's in a fewer ratio) in Europe. In Spain 360 was nearly dead a year ago and, since Kinect launch, it seems much stronger. Not at PS3 level, but a lot of shops have now bigger 360 shelves.

So I'm not surprised about 360/PS3 ratio 6/10 of 360, in France. I even expected a more closer number. Even if continental europe is more loyal to Sony than to Microsoft, I thought that this was more extensive in Spain or Italy, and not so much in France and Germany.

Well, the big sales on America, because of Kinect, is supposed to happen also (even if it's in a fewer ratio) in Europe. In Spain 360 was nearly dead a year ago and, since Kinect launch, it seems much stronger. Not at PS3 level, but a lot of shops have now bigger 360 shelves.

So I'm not surprised about 360/PS3 ratio 6/10 of 360, in France. I even expected a more closer number. Even if continental europe is more loyal to Sony than to Microsoft, I thought that this was more extensive in Spain or Italy, and not so much in France and Germany.

Are you serious?

These are the software sales for november on Spain:

Top General

01.- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
02.- Uncharted 3: La traición de Drake (PS3)
03.- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)
04.- Assassin's Creed: Revelations (PS3)
05.- Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 (PS3)
06.- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Map Edition (PS3)
07.- FIFA 12 (PS3)
08.- Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 (PS2)
09.- Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 (PSP)
10.- Battlefield 3 (PS3)

As you can see, the 360 market is not exactly healthy around here and it seems to be in a better state on France.

alundra

Neo Member
thanks it's the right one
because full year

Another report for sales in France with different numbers:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/medias/2012/...e-la-playstation-3-fait-la-course-en-tete.php

PlayStation 3 [845 000]
Nintendo Wii [770 000]
Nintendo 3DS [761 000]
Xbox 360 [532 000]

...since 3DS launch (march 15th-dec 31st).

Wii: 775,000 (full year)

Source: http://mobile.gamekult.com/mobile/article.html?article=A0000098892

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So the 3DS wasn't far of selling the most for the year, that seems pretty impressive. 3DS sales overall seem to be very good right now.

Considering how things went in its first months (160k in 2 months and an half), and that 64% of its sales, 487k, came in the last quarter, and that sales started rising in October (all of these according to the keik...err, the article ), probably it has been the hottest gaming item in Holidays by far...at least in France.

iceatcs

Considering how things went in its first months (160k in 2 months and an half), and that 64% of its sales, 487k, came in the last quarter, and that sales started rising in October (all of these according to the keik...err, the article ), probably it has been the hottest gaming item in Holidays by far...at least in France.

Plus 3DS is cheaper than NDS and PSP in many French stores.

Nintendo really missed out the massive profit.

Boerseun

Banned
The French arm of NoE were the ones responsible for pushing through the localisation of Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower. They deserve all the great sales and kudos they get.

Top Bottom