• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Can't tell if serious...

Hey, it's true. Unless things have changed since the last time I checked, No More Heroes was better received on PS360.

Which is a shame, because I was my most anticipated game besides Crystal Chronicles when the Wii first launched. Bought it and loved it. Still stings that it didn't perform so hot on Wii...

other consoles will be more powerful but not out of porting range,

See, that's where we'd fundamentally disagree. I think they will be out of porting range. And it wont take much. Eve if the Wii U blows my mind and is halfway between this gen and next, third parties are still going to utterly ignore it. Even if it's 2/3 of the way, even if it's 80% I bet they will, depending on userbase, and one of the biggest problems that will face Wii U is it's going to be expensive because of the controller. So it wont sell as much. so they'll have more incentive to leave it out.

tablet still is a dual-analog pad, mario kart "reskinned" being - literally- the second highest selling game this entire generation below Wii Sports - yes, more than CoD even)

But does that make it a good game that it sold a lot? I haven't played it or any Wii games, but the gist I got was that it's just Mario Kart again (which is fine, but hardcore gamers wont embrace it). And I also imagine the game's quality and depth isn't the best, which was the point in responding to to a "Nintendo games are flawless compared to those crappy third parties that only put out junk" type post.

Hey, it's true. Unless things have changed since the last time I checked, No More Heroes was better received on PS360.

Which is a shame, because I was my most anticipated game besides Crystal Chronicles when the Wii first launched. Bought it and loved it. Still stings that it didn't perform so hot on Wii...

No... it's not.

NMH was Suda's best selling game.
It sold roughly the same (maybe a thousand more) on the PS3/360, and the sequel was released only on the Wii.
Nothing in your post is correct...

Postman

Banned
Psst...
No More Heroes. A game that was, at the time, harolded as an example of Wii getting quality 3rd party support with real games but then went on to sell dismally on the platform. Later it was ported to the PS3 and 360...where it sold better on both platforms, and spawned a sequel.

Shame too...I was really excited for the Wii version of that game. :(

Actually the only sold slightly better with the sales combined.

Anyway third party on the wii is a simple case of devs spending millions on 360/ps3 game and not wanting to spend more money and time to dumb it down for the wii.

Penguin

What are successful non-casual third party Wii games?

I can think of like, Xenoblade and Last Story, those look cool, but they'll only be a niche supported by videogamephiles, the type of people that read GAF and listen to gaming podcasts and play everything on all systems. Not big sellers.

Just so we're clear.. what is your definition of successful?

royalan

No... it's not.

It sold roughly the same (maybe a thousand more) on the PS3/360, and the sequel was released only on the Wii.

Well, you'll have to show me where you got your numbers. Because when I checked both the PS3 and 360 had better first week sales than Wii, and combined sold a lot more overall.

I could be wrong though. Hell, I didn't know the sequal was Wii only until your post. I'll admit that.

StevieP

Banned
See, that's where we'd fundamentally disagree. I think they will be out of porting range.

That's simply not possible. In the same way that Unreal Engine 3.9999 will run on the next Xbox, it will run on the Vita (which is far far less powerful than the Wii U will be) and iPad. With the Wii U having *modern* architecture in CPU/GPU it's not possible for it to be in the same situation as the Wii (TEV instead of pixel shaders, G3-based processor from the middle ages, etc). Whether third parties *choose* to port their games to the Wii U is a different beast entirely, but we have known for months now that what you said was completely and utterly wrong.

But does that make it a good game that it sold a lot? I haven't played it or any Wii games, but the gist I got was that it's just Mario Kart again (which is fine, but hardcore gamers wont embrace it). And I also imagine the game's quality and depth isn't the best, which was the point in responding to to a "Nintendo games are flawless compared to those crappy third parties that only put out junk" type post.

It's just Call of Duty again. It's just Halo again. It's just Uncharted again. See how dumb that sounds? Let me repeat it for you, however: it is the best selling game of this generation on any console (33 million + copies) under Wii Sports (which some people don't wish to count at 80-odd million copies). If it was a piece of shit shovelware game, would it continue to sell to this day?

Also,
ltd-tie-ratios-dec-2011.png

Did you do my requested math, yet?

wsippel

Banned
See, that's where we'd fundamentally disagree. I think they will be out of porting range.
Yeah, you're free to think whatever the fuck you want, but this isn't about opinions or beliefs. It's about facts. And we don't know those facts. That's really all there is to it at this point.

VGChartzzzz?

Postman

Banned
Yeah, you're free to think whatever the fuck you want, but this isn't about opinions or beliefs. It's about facts. And we don't know those facts. That's really all there is to it at this point.

Hey!! ...he has done a lot of research and studies on this............ in his head.

MDX

Well, you'll have to show me where you got your numbers. Because when I checked both the PS3 and 360 had better first week sales than Wii, and combined sold a lot more overall.

I could be wrong though. Hell, I didn't know the sequal was Wii only until your post. I'll admit that.

Why are you combining PS3 and 360 sales?

Bear

Combined first week sales were slightly better for 360/PS3, but did lifetime sales even come close to the Wii version? In North America and Europe it sold over 200K (each), and iirc it was approaching half a million sales total.

Don't do that to yourself. You wouldn't be able to create a logical scenario to justify that belief.

It's going to be priced high because of the controller, that's going to limit adoption. In it's first 1-2 years on the market without next gen competition, it's going to be facing a $149 360 core and $199 PS3 with huge quality back libraries. The visual difference of it's games may not even be that great to PS360. It'll probably be priced 299-399, split the difference call it 349. Then after 1-2 years it's going to face likely much more powerful PS4/XB3 with wow factor. And it's still going to struggle with price no matter where it's at.

And the tablet could hurt or help, I dont know. In the long run it's definitely going to hurt on bill of materials. But I cant see it capturing the zeitgeist of the casuals like Wii motion control did at all. It's almost more hardcore aimed, except that the hardcore are going to go straight for PS4/XB3.

I think it will do okay as long as it's the most powerful thing on the market, which will be 1-2 years. But only OK, nothing great. Then PS4/XB3 will come along and...

Anyway I feel like this is rehashing my longstanding Wii U monologues rather than anything new so I'll drop it.

I feel like Nintendo should have come up with Kinect, that might have been a good way forward for them, where they might have had another gen where they didn't need to compete on power, and I feel sure Kinect would have been much more embraced as a Nintendo technology. Plus if they even were at less of a power deficit than they are this gen, that could have helped a bit too, as long as they had that casual base. But I dont see any casual or hardcore base in Wii U as currently theorized.

Combined first week sales were slightly better for 360/PS3, but did lifetime sales even come close to the Wii version? In North America and Europe it sold over 200K (each), and iirc it was approaching half a million sales total.

Ah, you're right.
Combined were about 30K for both then they dropped off the charts.
LTD was over 40K for it on Wii.
So, it sold about the same (as I said).

Zenaku

http://garaph.info/gamesearch.php?t...d1=&sltd2=&gameid=&orderby=&res1=&res2=&opt=1

It's just Japanese numbers, and the Wii version ranked below 20, so no knowing if they're all accurate.

The PS3 Red Zone edition managed to pull in 40k. It had added content, and a few bosses from NmH2 with a Cero Z (18+) rating. NmH2 itself is still a Wii exclusive though, and Suda has already stated he'd like to make NmH3 on a Nintendo console someday.

http://garaph.info/gamesearch.php?t...d1=&sltd2=&gameid=&orderby=&res1=&res2=&opt=1

It's just Japanese numbers, an the Wii version ranked below 20, so no knowing if they're all accurate.

The PS3 Red Zone edition managed to pull in 40k. If had added content, and a few bosses from NmH2 with a Cero Z (18+) rating. NmH2 itself is still a Wii exclusive though, and Suda has already stated he'd like to make NmH3 on a Nintendo console someday.

Also released at a budget price which the Wii version didn't.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I feel like Nintendo should have come up with Kinect, that might have been a good way forward for them, where they might have had another gen where they didn't need to compete on power, and I feel sure Kinect would have been much more embraced as a Nintendo technology. Plus if they even were at less of a power deficit than they are this gen, that could have helped a bit too, as long as they had that casual base. But I dont see any casual or hardcore base in Wii U as currently theorized.

What is this even supposed to mean?

royalan

It's just Japanese numbers, an the Wii version ranked below 20, so no knowing if they're all accurate.

The PS3 Red Zone edition managed to pull in 40k. If had added content, and a few bosses from NmH2 with a Cero Z (18+) rating. NmH2 itself is still a Wii exclusive though, and Suda has already stated he'd like to make NmH3 on a Nintendo console someday.

So I was right (in Japan, at least).

Still sucks, though...

It's going to be priced high because of the controller, that's going to limit adoption. In it's first 1-2 years on the market without next gen competition, it's going to be facing a $149 360 core and $199 PS3 with huge quality back libraries. The visual difference of it's games may not even be that great to PS360. It'll probably be priced 299-399, split the difference call it 349. Then after 1-2 years it's going to face likely much more powerful PS4/XB3 with wow factor. And it's still going to struggle with price no matter where it's at.

And the tablet could hurt or help, I dont know. In the long run it's definitely going to hurt on bill of materials. But I cant see it capturing the zeitgeist of the casuals like Wii motion control did at all. It's almost more hardcore aimed, except that the hardcore are going to go straight for PS4/XB3.

I think it will do okay as long as it's the most powerful thing on the market, which will be 1-2 years. But only OK, nothing great. Then PS4/XB3 will come along and...

Anyway I feel like this is rehashing my longstanding Wii U monologues rather than anything new so I'll drop it.

The main reason why you can't make a logical point is first because of your skewed view of Wii U that doesn't match up with anything we know and second I still don't really know what your expectations are of the other consoles. I don't think I've ever seen you say them. What are your expectations of the two consoles?

royalan

It sucks that people didn't buy it period, but it certainly didn't bomb on the Wii and it didn't sell a butt load more on the PS3.
So your post is still null and void.

My post is still perfectly intact...

It was never my point that NMH sold gangbusters on other platforms.

You asked for an example of a 3rd party game released for Wii that would sell more on other platforms, period.

Well, there you go...:(

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The main reason why you can't make a logical point is first because of your skewed view of Wii U that doesn't match up with anything we know and second I still don't really know what your expectations are of the other consoles. I don't think I've ever seen you say them. What are your expectations of the two consoles?

I believe all he has said so far is, "Much more power than Nintendo."

In EVERY thread.

Even after being shown all the rumors pointing to the contrary.

I eventually just added him to my ignore list after seeing multiple instances of him ignoring questions and continued trolling.

You asked for an example of a 3rd party game released for Wii that would sell more on other platforms, period.

1. What third party game was released for the Wii that would have sold a lot better on the PS3/360?

2. In what way does the Wii U look like a bad idea?

Game.
Set.
Match.
:p

Instro

But the PS3 version completely bombed in NA and EU. So no, it didn't.

Deguello

I wonder why third parties don't make more games for Nintendo's consoles considering they can get away with blaming poor quality and poor market performance on Nintendo through some sort of strange collective mental alchemy.

Bear

Did it, though? Sales numbers are hard to find, but I can't find any indication that the PS3/360 combined sales were higher than 400K and the Wii version sold at least that much.

royalan

But, even with all these things, it still wouldn't have sold if there wasn't an audience interested in it. A budget turd with nudity is still a turd. NMH sold on other platforms because there was an audience interested in the title, which gained brand momentum from back when it was a Wii game.

But, even with all these things, it still wouldn't have sold if there wasn't an audience interested in it. A budget turd with nudity is still a turd. NMH sold on other platforms because there was an audience interested in the title, which gained brand momentum from back when it was a Wii game.

Right, of course it's a good game.
But it's a good game at a budget price with more content...
Of course it'll sell more.
That's why they make GOTY editions of games.

Postman

Banned

ok so what is your point now? Iam lost. lol

I believe all he has said so far is, "Much more power than Nintendo."

In EVERY thread.

Even after being shown all the rumors pointing to the contrary.

Yeah. Like I said, I don't recall him ever saying what he thinks the other two consoles look like. I've stated what I felt all three would look like and so far rumors on Xbox 3 have come out to be under my prediction.

royalan

Right, of course it's a good game.
But it's a good game at a budget price with more content...
Of course it'll sell more.
That's why they make GOTY editions of games.

We're just going to have to disagree.

I love the game though, but they ported the game to other platforms because they thought it would find a bigger audience elsewhere...and technically it did. I'm just looking at the numbers.

ok so what is your point now? Iam lost. lol

See above.

We're just going to have to disagree.

I love the game though, but they ported the game to other platforms because they thought it would find a bigger audience elsewhere...and technically it did. I'm just looking at the numbers.

See above.

Right, found a bigger audience at a budget price with more content on a larger userbase...
And as far as we know, that's in a single country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom